Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

When was the last time Skip sat down and actually wrote an article? All the ATH dudes still write regularly.

It's definitely been a while but Skip was a fantastic reporter back in the day, I think a lot of the investigations into SMU that led up to their death penalty were down to him. He brought plenty of credibility over to TV before he became a hot take machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

It's definitely been a while but Skip was a fantastic reporter back in the day, I think a lot of the investigations into SMU that led up to their death penalty were down to him. He brought plenty of credibility over to TV before he became a hot take machine.

Yeah the Skip Bayless in "Pony Excess" sounded more like Ed O'Neil from Blue Chip in regards to how he covered the story, knew about it and actually did great journalism on it.

It sucks because the world really needs more of that type of stuff and less "First Takes".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah yall need to see Pony Excess if you haven't. That Skip Bayless is night and day to what you see now.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Skip was legit back in the day, like he got a national award when he was still in college. The issue was that Skip was such a firebrand that he ended up going down controversy avenue to hot take blvd right off laughingstock lane.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Worth noting that his change over was pretty early.

Like, he spent the early 90's insinuating that Troy Aikman was gay.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He wanted to make money .

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCb5Ji6ueQ8&t=113s

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Every time I turn on the new Olympic Channel hoping to see some hot curling action, and instead it's hours upon hours of synchronized swimming. :mad:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
How hot do you you want your takes today
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/888560422621728769

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

drat it I came in here to post that, it's the best still from Fox I've seen in ages

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
How does Tucker Carlson have the exact same look on his face in literally every single screenshot ever taken of him?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MourningView posted:

How does Tucker Carlson have the exact same look on his face in literally every single screenshot ever taken of him?

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Tucker is a dog's name. You will never change my mind about this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hawk talks hemorrhoids

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/and-now-ken-hawk-harrelson-steve-stone-discuss-hem-1797175147

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

even the white sox radio announcers are loving trash, I was listening to the game in the car today and they went off on a white sox player who tied the game by running through the stop sign by complaining about how he was disrespecting the third base coach (lol) and then the next half inning were talking about how no one in major league baseball cares about a pitcher's strikeouts they care about winning and man, good thing the Sox have half a season of Benetti on TV, him and Stone are very good.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

R.D. Mangles posted:

even the white sox radio announcers are loving trash, I was listening to the game in the car today and they went off on a white sox player who tied the game by running through the stop sign by complaining about how he was disrespecting the third base coach (lol) and then the next half inning were talking about how no one in major league baseball cares about a pitcher's strikeouts they care about winning and man, good thing the Sox have half a season of Benetti on TV, him and Stone are very good.

I do enjoy the moments when Farmer asks a question and DJ says something goofy in response, and you can feel Farmer's enmity emanating from the radio as there's this uncomfortable pause of disdain. But that's about it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Georgie Best doc premieres this Wednesday in Canada

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

My favorite Hawk thing is how he calls bloop hits "Kansas City specials" because he convinced himself that the Royals weren't good over the last few years and just got lucky hits.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

My favorite Hawk thing is how he calls bloop hits "Kansas City specials" because he convinced himself that the Royals weren't good over the last few years and just got lucky hits.

That's like how Joe Morgan used to call the Wrigley Field outfield basket "Banks Boulevard," because he always had a giant mad-on for the Cubs when he called their games on ESPN. He'd frequently say that everyone called it Banks Boulevard because so many of Ernie Banks' homers would just clear the basket but not the fence.

The best part about that was literally six of Banks' 512 career home runs could have possibly fallen in the basket: The basket didn't go up until May 1970, and Banks only hit a total of eight home runs at Wrigley in 1970 - 71 (and one was in April of 1970 before the basket went up, another was his 500th which very nearly left the park). So Morgan was, as per usual, completely full of poo poo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Timby posted:

That's like how Joe Morgan used to call the Wrigley Field outfield basket "Banks Boulevard," because he always had a giant mad-on for the Cubs when he called their games on ESPN. He'd frequently say that everyone called it Banks Boulevard because so many of Ernie Banks' homers would just clear the basket but not the fence.

The best part about that was literally six of Banks' 512 career home runs could have possibly fallen in the basket: The basket didn't go up until May 1970, and Banks only hit a total of eight home runs at Wrigley in 1970 - 71 (and one was in April of 1970 before the basket went up, another was his 500th which very nearly left the park). So Morgan was, as per usual, completely full of poo poo.

That's like a microcosm of what drives people nuts when it comes to Morgan. I realize not all ex-greats can be great at broadcasting or managing, but Morgan seems so loving clueless for a guy who was absolutely unreal at baseball.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's like a microcosm of what drives people nuts when it comes to Morgan. I realize not all ex-greats can be great at broadcasting or managing, but Morgan seems so loving clueless for a guy who was absolutely unreal at baseball.

He just always had an agenda, and at least on ESPN (I never heard him elsewhere) he was the quintessential "refuse to let facts get in the way of an opinion" color guy. There were a few years there when he was pretty much actively campaigning against Ryne Sandberg's candidacy for the Hall of Fame, because he's one of those goobers who think that if someone else gets elected to the Hall at his position, it actually detracts from his own merits. Pretty sure he spent a long, long time claiming that Billy Beane wrote Moneyball, too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Timby posted:

He just always had an agenda, and at least on ESPN (I never heard him elsewhere) he was the quintessential "refuse to let facts get in the way of an opinion" color guy. There were a few years there when he was pretty much actively campaigning against Ryne Sandberg's candidacy for the Hall of Fame, because he's one of those goobers who think that if someone else gets elected to the Hall at his position, it actually detracts from his own merits. Pretty sure he spent a long, long time claiming that Billy Beane wrote Moneyball, too.

Ugh. Sounds like willfull ignorance, which just twists the knife.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Georgie Best doc premieres this Wednesday in Canada

And boy loving howdy did that thing ruin my Saturday when I watched it. Watched it first thing when I woke up and was miserable the rest of the weekend as a result. It was fantastic though.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Fire Joe Morgan is still online and archived. Almost ten years on since it's ending though, god I'm old.

http://www.firejoemorgan.com/?m=1

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I come back to the Super Bike article at least once a year
http://www.firejoemorgan.com/2008/01/honestly-one-of-weirdest-things-i-have.html

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Huh, the dude this guy references as Moto GP champ in 2006 (Nicky Hayden) died from a crash on May 22 this year.

I don't know if this makes his incomprehensible point better or worse.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 25, 2017

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

I totally forgot about that one

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ken Tremendous is a national treasure.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grittybeard posted:

Huh, the dude this guy references as Moto GP champ in 2006 (Nicky Hayden) died from a crash on May 22 this year.

I don't know if this makes his incomprehensible point better or worse.

To make matters more interesting, it was a bicycle crash, not a motorcycle.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

To make matters more interesting, it was a bicycle crash, not a motorcycle.

Oh crap, I just noticed he was recently killed while I was trying to find the picture of him on a camel and assumed once I saw the word crash. That's not the way I'd expect a lifelong motorcycle racing dude to go early.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Red Sox responded to a local arts/entertainment magazine talking about racism in Boston fanbases and media, and the Sox in specific, and said they understood the frustration and even agreed with some of the criticism. I'm sure you will be shocked to hear that WEEI went completely ballistic in response.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It was ridiculous seeing all the Boston shitbags tell that woman "well then go on eei and tell them", as if that wouldn't just end up like when Bill O'Reilly cut the mic on a guy whose dad was killed on 9/11 and opposed the Iraq war. Or like when Chuck D was on Alan Colmes radio show.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeha going on the station gives WEEI exactly what they want. She's got no reason to go.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The only good sports radio in Boston is basically Toucher and Rich

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Can someone link the video of people yelling and throwing poo poo at Adam Jones and getting kicked out? I want to see that and all I'm finding in the searches is him getting a standing O

It sounds like some Malice at the Palace poo poo and those videos tend to rule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPaZ4zRb5G0

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

quote:

After he had lambasted the Red Sox for a while over Curran’s statement to DigBoston, Minihane turned his anger toward de la Cretaz, claiming her story had “50 errors, 60 errors,” criticizing her sourcing and snickering at the fact she doesn’t shave her legs and has written publicly about her sexual experiences. Kirk & Callahan guest and WEEI personality Rob Bradford described her as “off the rails.”

Minihane and Bradford repeatedly praised a post by Massachusetts-based blog Turtleboy Sports that featured the following headline: “Feministo Journalist Who Ripped Boston And WEEI For Being Racist Also Bragged About Having Herpes, Not Having Sex With Her Husband Or Shaving Her Legs, And Made Up A Fake Rape Story For Twitter Points.”

the comments are good too. Glad to see a St. Louis fan weigh in.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pac12 Network will experiment in a few non-conference games with cutting out commercial breaks and shortening halftime from 20 minutes to 15 in an effort to speed up games

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

EvanTH posted:

Can someone link the video of people yelling and throwing poo poo at Adam Jones and getting kicked out? I want to see that and all I'm finding in the searches is him getting a standing O

It sounds like some Malice at the Palace poo poo and those videos tend to rule

I don't think any of that was televised. We only heard about it because Jones talked to the media. Which is why Totally Not Racist talk radio guys can accuse him of making it all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN has expanded both sunday NFL talking head shows (Countdown and Fantasy Football Now) to 3 hours

i am sure both are completely riveting