Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Does that say "My cake was the shape of your hat?" Can even a 9 year old tell that Trump's hair isn't real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
also gonna say looks fake as hell.

What gets me is that if I wanted to fake a letter from a kid, I would go to a real kid and dictate to them. And we know the WH staff has kids on hand, isn't that Shucks whole schtick?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

That wasn't expected, was it?

I saw him on a couple unreasonably optimistic lists of senators that included anybody who wasn't on the record as hard-core for repeal, but I didn't actually think he'd vote no.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

cochise posted:

Lets play who in the WH wrote this.

I'm gonna go with Miller.

This has Mooch written all over it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Rigel posted:

Thats understandable. News operates on simple sound bites and binary answers. We can usually spot weasel words and careful phrasing like "I am a no on MTP for the full repeal", which CNN might excitedly yell means victory, but we see that as "well ok, that plan looks dead. I wonder what the turtle will come up with next?"

Considering that they still have yet to update that it's a no on CNN which we've know for a good 15 minutes now. Don't want to stop those refresh clicks just yet I guess. They'll probably update at like 5PM EST at this rate

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I like how the theoretical parents of this child double checked his handwriting but not his spelling. Aces.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

what kid has a trump themed party?
No poo poo, my loving nephew did. For background - He's in his early teens, and was adopted from Guatemala. So he's an immigrant, and also non-white. Go figure.

I don't want to post the pictures because family but holy gently caress they were terrifying.

The kid trolled my Facebook too. Which put me in a weird place between telling a 13 year old to gently caress off, blocking a family member, or just telling his mom. Which I did, because my sister in law isn't awful, and it was the least lovely option that wouldn't make Thanksgiving any more awkward than it was going to be already.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zeeman posted:

Does that say "My cake was the shape of your hat?" Can even a 9 year old tell that Trump's hair isn't real?

Probably means a red MAGA cap.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Not that it really matters one way or the other—nor do I believe this administration is really capable of intentionally setting up a multi-step trap for its opponents—but if Dylan does turn out to be a real kid with special needs, it will sure lead to a lot of hand-wringing from the right about how much liberals hate those with learning disabilities.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Not to go all Flat Earther or whatever but this kid has pretty good handwriting for his spelling level.

Trump making up people to inflate his ego has precedent and is in no way an outlandish claim.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Weird choice to post Sean Spicer's resignation letter but ok

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
It's weird to think that other people have their family on facebook who haven't been blocked by all of them yet.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Voting now on Donnelly motion to commit.

We want this to pass, and if it did somehow pass, it would be a shocking, massive defeat for Trumpcare. So, of course its expected to fail.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Can we FOIA request details on Dylan's letter since it can be seen as a public comment like all of those FCC comments they released publicly?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I should find some crayons and write the President a letter

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

dwarf74 posted:

No poo poo, my loving nephew did. For background - He's in his early teens, and was adopted from Guatemala. So he's an immigrant, and also non-white. Go figure.

I don't want to post the pictures because family but holy gently caress they were terrifying.

The kid trolled my Facebook too. Which put me in a weird place between telling a 13 year old to gently caress off, blocking a family member, or just telling his mom. Which I did, because my sister in law isn't awful, and it was the least lovely option that wouldn't make Thanksgiving any more awkward than it was going to be already.

no use rebelling by smoking pot and listening to loud music if your parents grew up in the 90s. gotta piss people off somehow.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

for comparison, here's some handwriting by some real eight year olds I used to work with. They were all english language learners at title 1 schools in East Austin and came from underprivileged backgrounds. Immigrant children gonna take our reasonably OK penmenship among children jobs!! :byodood: (there are some spelling errors here too, but in these kids' defense, they never had formal schooling in their native language!)

E:

because I was looking thru my old pics and these eight-year-old kids were :kimchi:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 26, 2017

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Probably means a red MAGA cap.

gently caress, I'd actually forgotten those hats existed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How does a 9 year old write like a 5 year old? Oh yeah, The American School System.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Rigel posted:

Voting now on Donnelly motion to commit.

We want this to pass, and if it did somehow pass, it would be a shocking, massive defeat for Trumpcare. So, of course its expected to fail.

I think this is the exact kind of "return to procedural norms" that McCain says he's for, so expect he'll be against this. Collins and Murkowski might be down? But I don't know who their third would be.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

C-Span says it's a motion to commit "to remove medicaid language", that's interesting

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
One of the twitter comments noted that there aren't any folds in that piece of paper. So this kid either FedEx'd it in a nice big envelope or this was made up on-site.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Of all the people that have never existed, "Dylan" doesn't exist the most.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
So lost in all the news was mention that Sessions might start an investigation into all the Whitehouse leaks: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/07/26/sessions-to-announce-investigations-into-intelligence-leaks-source.html Part of me wonders is this the start of a war between the DoJ and Whitehouse? Trump refuses to fire Sessions because of the optics and his weak will. Sessions refuses to step down probably out of obstinance and knowledge his political career is over unless he can last longer than Trump. Trump fires daily missives at Sessions trying to get him to quit. Sessions starts an investigation to target the leakers in the Whitehouse and goes straight for Kushner, Bannon, etc. Perhaps he can do enough damage to get Kushner removed or at least the security clearance completely stripped. God knows how hobbled a Whitehouse without Kushner would be--just Trump sitting in the oval office watching Fox news and picking his nose all day I guess. It's going to be an interesting next few weeks.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
If that letter was written by an actual child I feel really bad for him. When I was 9 I was in the fifth grade, wrote in (readable!) cursive and knew how to spell difficult words like "money" and "shape."

e: if it's an actual child with a learning disability though, he gets an A for effort.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

awesmoe posted:

no use rebelling by smoking pot and listening to loud music if your parents grew up in the 90s. gotta piss people off somehow.
His parents are staunch Catholic conservative Republicans and in their 50's. (I myself am in my 40's).

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Vintersorg posted:

How does a 9 year old write like a 5 year old? Oh yeah, The American School System.

Can't form letters or spell but is great at staying in the lines and formatting spaces and indents

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

C-Span says it's a motion to commit "to remove medicaid language", that's interesting

oh. Well, this may not be all that exciting if it passes then. In fact, it might be expected to pass as part of the process to get to skinny repeal.

Motion to commit usually means "get this loving bill outta here and send it back to the committee that drew up this crap", but maybe not in this case.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Speaking of imaginary people, did we ever get an update on Trump's friend that knew all about France? Bob or something.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Praying for Colbert or some equivalent to produce a Montage about Dylan set to that "Oh let me tell you abot my best friend song" by Harry Nilsson

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

for comparison, here's some handwriting by some real eight year olds I used to work with. They were all english language learners at title 1 schools in East Austin and came from underprivileged backgrounds. Immigrant children gonna take our reasonably OK penmenship among children jobs!! :byodood: (there are some spelling errors here too, but in these kids' defense, they never had formal schooling in their native language!)

Yeah it's a little tinfiol-hatty for me to call this a fake - though I do think this was incredibly sad considering it was read for an audience of one.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Is there any source for that Dylan letter other than that tweet? I'm not seeing it anywhere else.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Reik posted:

Of all the people that have never existed, "Dylan" doesn't exist the most.

Almost all if the lowercase D's are different. One even has a weird swirl in the end but is a completely different shape from the one in " your friend".

I can't believe I that I could completely believe the WH made up a fake letter from a child, but here we are.

Edit: Yeah can we get some other sources?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

oh. Well, this may not be all that exciting if it passes then. In fact, it might be expected to pass as part of the process to get to skinny repeal.

Motion to commit usually means "get this loving bill outta here and send it back to the committee that drew up this crap", but maybe not in this case.

no it's definitely going to fail, it's introduced by a democrat, I was just intrigued it was more than simply "make this go away"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ok, this is a motion to commit Donnelly's amendment (D-IN), I think. So we might want it to fail. We'll know when we see which side the dems voted.

edit: never mind, we want it to pass. Its unclear still what this is.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

Rigel posted:

It sends it to the committee for three days with instructions to remove the medicaid language.

Realistically doing so doesn't actually do much to the bill, because it's stripping the house language no one likes, but removing it from the Senate floor is not something I expect the Republicans to go for.

Yeah, this is going to be straight party line.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Wait a second....

Zoom. Enhance!

It was Cruz's AG Acceptance Letter!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

fsif posted:

I don't know poo poo about childhood education, but is there a chance that Dylan could be a nine-year-old with a learning disability?

I don't know that it really matters. I think the most likely option is that it IS real and Trump is so desperate for positive adulation that he made ShuckS read it at a press conference like a proud Good Boy getting his drawing of a house and a nice bright sun on the refrigerator.

I used to tell people I liked Rush Limbaugh when I was like 13 and said I was a dittohead because it made conservative adults pleased and I had no clue what he was even about. Kids don't understand Trump and why he's bad, he's just a thing adults talk about.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Is the plan now to just open up the floor to amendments on a bill, or to send it to committee for a more normal process? I've heard both as viable third ways for McConnell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My name Dylan

• Locked thread