Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Do rooms with no doors still give the "room" bonus, such as dining room, workshop etc? And do room bonuses combine when you say, make a single room for workshops and research?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

az posted:

Do rooms with no doors still give the "room" bonus, such as dining room, workshop etc? And do room bonuses combine when you say, make a single room for workshops and research?

Not sure what you mean by "room bonuses". If a room has no door it's considered outside, unless you mean no door between two rooms, in which case it's considered the same room, and all the furniture in it applies. This isn't necessarily a good thing, some stuff like butcher's tables don't make a room better, but usually my workshops are considered pretty nice rooms just because of all the nice chairs I put in front of the workbenches.

The name the game gives the room doesn't matter, if you put a research station in your dining room the game will call it a "slightly impressive laboratory" or whatever, but pawns will still get the "slightly impressive dining room" mood boost for eating there.

If you want to divide rooms but not slow down pawns you can just put a door there and have pawns leave it open 100% of the time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah there is no shame in just going 'hold open' on some doors to make the game understand that logistically these are different areas. hell, i add in stone doors in front of wooden ones to act as firebreaks or vault doors to resist raider attack. they're just open 99% of the time so they don't slow anyone down.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Thanks, I'm still trying my hand at building a proper base and the wiki entry on rooms made it seem like it was more important to pawns than it seems to be.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

az posted:

Thanks, I'm still trying my hand at building a proper base and the wiki entry on rooms made it seem like it was more important to pawns than it seems to be.

Workshops, rec rooms, hospitals, dining rooms all do well to be comingled since they all value space, beauty, cleanliness. Butchery makes a big mess which can tank a rooms value, animals always create huge messes, and most stockpiled objects have negative beauty value so those are really the only things you absolutely need to separate. I run all 11x11 rooms. 1 shared dining and rec room, 2 workshops, 1 shared hospital and guest bedroom (hospitality). I put my research table next to the dining table since my researcher has good social and I like my pawns to have someone to talk to when they come in to eat.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Heffer posted:

I put my research table next to the dining table since my researcher has good social and I like my pawns to have someone to talk to when they come in to eat.

Does a pawn's social skill actually affect their friendships with other pawns? I have a researcher with 17 social skill that I had to put on the night shift because he kept insulting the other researcher and they hate each other so much now. Neither of them is abrasive or ugly or anything like that. Just jerks.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Does a pawn's social skill actually affect their friendships with other pawns? I have a researcher with 17 social skill that I had to put on the night shift because he kept insulting the other researcher and they hate each other so much now. Neither of them is abrasive or ugly or anything like that. Just jerks.

Oh, there are sooooo many reasons for researchers working on the same topic to hate each other...

I really like the idea of putting the research table next to the main dining area.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Coolguye posted:

yeah there is no shame in just going 'hold open' on some doors to make the game understand that logistically these are different areas. hell, i add in stone doors in front of wooden ones to act as firebreaks or vault doors to resist raider attack. they're just open 99% of the time so they don't slow anyone down.

Do this with prison areas and you can give them all the amenities in a shared area and still keep them in separate rooms so they don't have the 'shared bedroom' malus.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Flesh Forge posted:

Do this with prison areas and you can give them all the amenities in a shared area and still keep them in separate rooms so they don't have the 'shared bedroom' malus.

GOD DAMMIT NOW I NEED TO COMPLETELY REBUILD MY PRISON

Thanks...

az
Dec 2, 2005

I keep trying to dig out bases in mountains because obviously a doomfortress is the best thing but god drat is it slow to dig in granite and I'm drowning in chunks, so many chunks.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

GOD DAMMIT NOW I NEED TO COMPLETELY REBUILD MY PRISON

Thanks...

Also, you might as well make it mega bling because your colonists will be dining/gaming etc in there too.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

az posted:

I keep trying to dig out bases in mountains because obviously a doomfortress is the best thing but god drat is it slow to dig in granite and I'm drowning in chunks, so many chunks.

Yeah after awhile this is a real pain. It wouldnt be too bad if it fire couldnt spread over rubble and it killed the grass. Gravel would be nice for cheap walkways too if you could pulverize rubble.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, that prison idea... wow. How does it do with breakouts? Or should you just build a turret or two outside that room?

I've just been breaking down the rubble into blocks and making flagstone walkways around places, using others to make art sculptures, and occasionally selling to the bulk trader ships.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012

az posted:

sounds like you need some dogs to haul

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Yeah, my colonists won't stop wandering into/out of my prison. And then I wonder how the prisoners keep breaking out.

Which is strange, since I only put about one minute of work into my prison. Probably the most valuable thing in it (aside from the prisoners themselves on the black market) is the turret that I keep in there to immediately shut down any attempted escape.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I always put my prison in a back corner of the mountain bunker. The serial escapists have a lot longer to wander through before they reach daylight so it's generally easy to stop them with an ambush or two. Or a couple turrets here and there.

Usually it's pretty close to my hospital and the associated medical storage, since most of my 'new recruits' / 'first aid practice dummies' come in with shredded torsos and limb damage from the high explosive Extreme Vetting that my colony does. We can't let just anyone in, you see.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah, that prison idea... wow. How does it do with breakouts? Or should you just build a turret or two outside that room?

I've just been breaking down the rubble into blocks and making flagstone walkways around places, using others to make art sculptures, and occasionally selling to the bulk trader ships.

Since you normally are going to have a colonist or two chilling in the prison common area they tend to put down breakouts immediately.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

On a different note, anyone try out the children mod?

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Children never put things back into their right place, and there is only one thing I do with colonists who won't haul.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Are you a giant :spergin: who can't bear to have two tiles of gray rock in your nice green wall?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1088977664

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just wasted a perfectly good lung, apparently with RBSE lite, natural body parts decay insanely quickly and I wasn't looking at the prison the second they pulled his lung out. So I had to go back in for the OTHER lung and deal with the triple mood hit to my colony. And then I found out about rejection sickness. Luckily its pretty easy to manage but man we just had to kill a guy because we took a lung out and just lost it. Then my child star / model threw a party and everyone was good again.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

A Moose posted:

Just wasted a perfectly good lung, apparently with RBSE lite, natural body parts decay insanely quickly and I wasn't looking at the prison the second they pulled his lung out. So I had to go back in for the OTHER lung and deal with the triple mood hit to my colony. And then I found out about rejection sickness. Luckily its pretty easy to manage but man we just had to kill a guy because we took a lung out and just lost it. Then my child star / model threw a party and everyone was good again.

I just had a game where early on I acquired a pawn with pretty high shooting and intellectual for my first "gimme" spawn. Insanely pleased with the spaceman I named him Bowman, because that's what Kubrick would have wanted. Bowman served with distinction until some otherwise unremarkable fight left him spineless, armless (Both), without his left eye, and of course crippled. I turned his room into his private hospital and kept him alive.

That was twenty hours ago. My base now spans almost from north to south and is monolithic. I FINALLY learned bionics and was able to craft him a bionic spine. I installed bionic arms and a bionic eye. I have made... Bowmachine. His first act upon walking for the first time in literal game years is to put on clothes, as his old clothes had rotted off completely. His second? He immediately grabs a beer and smokes a joint.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

On a different note, anyone try out the children mod?

"Honey, let's have children :glomp:"

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

"Honey, let's have children :glomp:"

Different strokes for different folks dude, don't kinkshame.

Besides, it's not like you even give them a chance. No double beds... cmon. Or maybe with that mod a dungeon bed?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I had just embarked and had suicide attempts on the second day :black101:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I had just embarked and had suicide attempts on the second day :black101:

That must all be from the cult mod?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

And right after that it slams you with a very big mood malus "Found the Necronomicon" or whatever and a very big threshold debuff so yeah if you have neurotic or anything like that you tend to go nuts right then.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Flesh Forge posted:

And when you do this you can even give them teeny tiny prison cells -- they only think they're in a small cell when sleeping, but mood is frozen while sleeping so it doesn't matter.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They do have the "Dang I have a lovely bedroom" malus but it's outweighed by all the good poo poo of having access to a blinged out amenities room.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Rimworld IRL

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Has not yet taken multiple bullets or bitten anyone's hand off. Weak sauce.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Do walls of different material have different beauty values at all? Because if not I'm just going to smooth out cave walls and call it a day :shobon:

pomery
Oct 19, 2016

az posted:

Do walls of different material have different beauty values at all? Because if not I'm just going to smooth out cave walls and call it a day :shobon:

I coulda sworn marble walls had a better beauty score than the rest, might be a mod or update that changed something

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Not beauty values, but they do have monetary values which factors into room impressiveness.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Marble is generally more pretty than other stone, but constructed walls have no beauty value assigned to them and thus it makes no difference for walls, but different stones do have different health values, so granite is best for walls.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

OwlFancier posted:

Marble is generally more pretty than other stone, but constructed walls have no beauty value assigned to them and thus it makes no difference for walls, but different stones do have different health values, so granite is best for walls.

Granite also has the highest price, so it's best for room value too.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
PrepareLanding is a mod that allows players to carefully choose their landing site before actually starting their colony.

Between this and the new Map Reroll version :allears:

az
Dec 2, 2005

Holy shitsnacks.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I really like the Centralized Climate Control mod, you can set up a single HVAC system for the whole base controlled from one room. It makes freezers more efficient since it uses wall vents instead of needing to compromise your insulation with coolers, and it handles heating and cooling simultaneously for the rest. You can change connections on the fly so if you interconnect all the vents, any room in the base can become a freezer at a moment's notice or vice versa. The best part, of course, is that it looks pretty and you don't have to ruin your beautiful spergy base with unsightly coolers, heaters and vents any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cool, I love this kind of poo poo, thanks :)