Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
oh also since trist, vayne and sivir are gonna come back in a big way, relic shield nasus support is gonna be busted versus them

You can also go ancient coin and spam E too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Support Lux trip report: this new shield is loving nuts. With Windspeaker's and Ardent, rank 5's a 453-point shield that can hit multiple people. Downside: you have to be able to aim, which can be difficult depending on positioning. Really solid at protecting your ADC, though.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

Support Lux trip report: this new shield is loving nuts. With Windspeaker's and Ardent, rank 5's a 453-point shield that can hit multiple people. Downside: you have to be able to aim, which can be difficult depending on positioning. Really solid at protecting your ADC, though.

It feels like Janna or Sona would be better due to not having to aim nearly as well. Does the Lux shield apply twice if it hits the same target twice on its trajectory? i.e., You aim it past Vayne, she gets the shield on the outgoing, then takes some damage, and the shield comes back through her — does it stack, does it refresh to full, does it just pass?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
trick question, vayne dodges your shield with q and blames you when she dies 1v4

:hai: silver of the moon

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Addamere posted:

It feels like Janna or Sona would be better due to not having to aim nearly as well. Does the Lux shield apply twice if it hits the same target twice on its trajectory? i.e., You aim it past Vayne, she gets the shield on the outgoing, then takes some damage, and the shield comes back through her — does it stack, does it refresh to full, does it just pass?

How it works is that each hit of her wand (outgoing and returning) applies the shield, and each hit stacks with the other. If you hit a target with just the incoming or outgoing, it will apply the base amount. If you hit only yourself (which always happens), you will get two stacks of the base amount. If you hit another ally with both the outgoing and the returning, they will get a total of 300% of the base amount, which is 330 (+60% AP) at rank 5, and you will get the same.

Critically, each hit of the wand counts as a separate instance of shielding for Windspeaker's and Ardent. What this means in practice is that you can keep Windspeaker's on a target for a long time. If you're standing next to your ADC and hit them with the outgoing, it will apply Windspeaker's for 3s, which is about the time it takes for the returning to come back. You're looking at a good 6s of Windspeaker's if you're competent, and you can more-or-less permanently apply it with 40% CDR, which is just insane in late game fights where the shield can and will hit multiple people. The downside, as you mentioned, is that you do have to aim it, and your positioning is absolutely critical for being able to get off both stacks on an ally. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I think part of the reason she's got such a godawful support winrate is that she's really, really hard to play competently because of everything being a skillshot, including her main support ability.

edit: hosed up my math

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 26, 2017

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for that, Vermain.

It sounds like it would be great for upper-elo people and a trap for lower-elo people. A big deal of my poo poo-tier decision-making is trying to minimize my own opportunities to fail. I think I'll stick to less mechanically intensive supports, but I see the appeal if you're good!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Addamere posted:

It sounds like it would be great for upper-elo people and a trap for lower-elo people. A big deal of my poo poo-tier decision-making is trying to minimize my own opportunities to fail. I think I'll stick to less mechanically intensive supports, but I see the appeal if you're good!

it's the opposite. low elo players are less able to abuse her long cooldowns and accidental wave pushing

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Addamere posted:

To be totally clear, I still think that Janna, Sona, Lulu, etc. are all generically stronger than Lux as a support, even if you're assuming someone with the aim of a god. However, with the shield changes, she's also now in a perfectly viable spot as a support if you're willing to learn her mechanics and matchups.

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's the opposite. low elo players are less able to abuse her long cooldowns and accidental wave pushing

Yeah. You have to play in a very specific way in botlane to not instantly gently caress yourself against anyone who knows how to freeze or against strong early gankers like Lee or Elise. To be fair, AP supports like Zyra, Brand, and, to a lesser extent, Vel'Koz all suffer from this if you don't play cautiously and deliberately.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 26, 2017

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Addamere posted:

this is bad. do not play like this. the way you get better at league is learning to take advantage of other peoples mistakes, and the way you learn how to do that is plying confidently and looking for opportunities rather than just trying to minimize your negative impact on a game. if you play like that, you are much easier to carry, but will not meaningfully get better at the game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Confidence in League, like everything else in life, comes from loving up miserably over and over. You should play as forward and confident as you can until you get punished for it, and then add that experience to your unconscious recollection by watching a replay and paying attention to what happened. I used to do this thing where I'd get E off and then run forwards past my creep line to proc my passive, and this worked right up until I started coming up against Thresh/Jhin duos who could call my bluff and just instantly blow me up. I ended up doing this until I watched my replays and saw myself doing it consistently over and over, which led to me learning to play smarter (though not less confident - this is important) in lane.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
lol both of those posts are arguably true but like lesson number one for every player that wants to start getting good is to hold back if your river isn't warded

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

lol both of those posts are arguably true but like lesson number one for every player that wants to start getting good is to hold back if your river isn't warded

That's exactly the sort of thing I mean, though: you play confident and forward, then Elise roams down your unwarded river and turns your lane into a loving mess. You go back, watch the replay, see that you were playing up in lane against an early game ganker with zero vision, and realize that the fault was not in your stars, but in yourself.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

there is a difference between playing like a moron and playing confidently, and we both know this. new players will have trouble learning this difference and the only real way is by experience

E: And also i blur the lines every time i play the game, as anyone who has ever played with me can attest. but that one ap irelia game i tore poo poo up

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
Can I report people for picking mf support (Or any non-support champ) and they don't buy sightstone? poo poo is getting annoying

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
i swear riot must have put some kind of code in the game where if you duo with someone you get better teammates so that you keep winning and keep playing and keep buying skins for each other

last night i duo'd and won like 11/12 games

today i solo queued and went 1/5 and the 1 i won was because one of the enemy disconnected at the end, rest were stomps that were like 0-8 by 6 minutes

i don't wanna go all "flagged for losses" but I really feel like when you duo you actually have a hard coded higher chance to win in ranked

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Teikanmi posted:

i swear riot must have put some kind of code in the game where if you duo with someone you get better teammates so that you keep winning and keep playing and keep buying skins for each other

last night i duo'd and won like 11/12 games

today i solo queued and went 1/5 and the 1 i won was because one of the enemy disconnected at the end, rest were stomps that were like 0-8 by 6 minutes

i don't wanna go all "flagged for losses" but I really feel like when you duo you actually have a hard coded higher chance to win in ranked

I think it's more that, when you're duoing with someone, you have an advantage in being able to coordinate plays better and, if you both know you're competent, you have one less person in your game who potentially either has no idea what they're doing or is on a losing streak and tilted. Doing well in one lane has a knock-on effect across the rest of the map: you demand more resources from other enemy laners, you can gain better objective control, and - perhaps most importantly - you can keep up the morale of your team. If bot lane is doing atrocious but top lane is crushing it, I can see that there's a window back into the game, and I'm more confident in our chances of coming back as the game goes on later. If every other lane is relentlessly feeding, it's easy to mentally give up and start playing even worse unless the enemy team starts playing super cocky and gives up their lead.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

Can I report people for picking mf support (Or any non-support champ) and they don't buy sightstone? poo poo is getting annoying

riot games explicitly refuses to punish people for off meta things. with that said, however, you can report them for failure to communicate if they are just randomly picking stupid poo poo without letting the team know what their intentions are, and refusing to work with the team. for example if they said "i am playing duskblade mf support to cheese damage in brush" and you say "okay but can you get a sightstone so we can have brush control and safety because we both have no escapes" and she says "no fk u polish scum im not delay my duskblade" that is reportable, but just playing duskblade mf support is not

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why play mf support when you can play malzahar support and auto-shove the wave and take all the cs and blame your adc for being terrible, its the right thing to do because it is toxic and terrible and thats what league community is all about

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vermain posted:

I think it's more that, when you're duoing with someone, you have an advantage in being able to coordinate plays better and, if you both know you're competent, you have one less person in your game who potentially either has no idea what they're doing or is on a losing streak and tilted. Doing well in one lane has a knock-on effect across the rest of the map: you demand more resources from other enemy laners, you can gain better objective control, and - perhaps most importantly - you can keep up the morale of your team. If bot lane is doing atrocious but top lane is crushing it, I can see that there's a window back into the game, and I'm more confident in our chances of coming back as the game goes on later. If every other lane is relentlessly feeding, it's easy to mentally give up and start playing even worse unless the enemy team starts playing super cocky and gives up their lead.

I 100% agree with everything you said and I know all of it - and yet still I think there must be some kind of slant to the matchmaking when you duo. It just makes sense from a business perspective to make people want to duo and win together. Supposedly the enemy team gets harder when you duo with someone, but I don't really believe it based on my solo and duo performance this season. Each time I duo with someone I trust, as you said, I go on huge 10 game winstreaks and when I solo queue it's just stomp after stomp, both winning and losing.

That said, I like duoing more than solo queue for all the reasons above and more so I'll keep doing it, but it just feels like something is off.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Don't go full Warchicken Teik

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

Nope. They stopped doing after all the bitching over Nunu/singed smite "support." I actually watched a challenger game a couple days ago where both supports rushed ardent censer and didn't build sightstone until basically the end of the game (i.e. one of them bought eye 2 minutes before the game ended)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I've only been playing Azir in ARAM but I pick him up pretty often and I learned how to Shurima Shuffle okay but how the gently caress do you consistently AA with his soldiers it's like I can get them to auto like three times before they just give up so all I can ever get out is that initial burst and absolutely no sustained damage

This guy really needs a rework so the power can be shifted around in his kit. He's either going to be WAY too powerful to make up for his complexity, or too complex to be able to do enough damage to stay in meta. I know a rework is coming soon (tm) but it can't come soon enough. His soldiers are interesting enough but they need to change his E and Ultimate into something totally else because why does a ranged burst mage have abilities that throw him into a team anyway just have a sand pit open up, slow people and slowly drag people into the middle of it while spooky soldiers grab at them and damage them

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I quit worrying about whether our support builds stone. I just buy a red ward or two most backs. I also jungling most of the time, so this might not be viable for other roles.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
I'm half tempted to just start buying the loving tracker's when I jungle, because that way I can at least ensure we have any vision.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rygar201 posted:

I quit worrying about whether our support builds stone. I just buy a red ward or two most backs. I also jungling most of the time, so this might not be viable for other roles.

I got into the habit of buying a control ward with my change every time I back until I need that space for 5th and 6th items.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

njsykora posted:

I got into the habit of buying a control ward with my change every time I back until I need that space for 5th and 6th items.

How do you ever have any free space? I always make sure I have some fairie charms and rejuv beads otherwise it's wasted space.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kiranamos posted:

How do you ever have any free space? I always make sure I have some fairie charms and rejuv beads otherwise it's wasted space.

I think you're joking but pink wards are better than items

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kiranamos posted:

If I'm building something that has faerie charms or rejuv beads as components I will just completely ignore them because they're useless and I'd rather have wards.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
With all the free money that Coin is giving out it wouldn't even be the worst to carry around 2 control wards with you at any given time

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Camel Camus posted:

Who plays league less than 3 drinks under???

i feel this

have tried playing league sober and it just leads to frustration

maybe i could climb higher if i played straight but then it would not be fun so why do that to myself

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

With all the free money that Coin is giving out it wouldn't even be the worst to carry around 2 control wards with you at any given time

To be honest if you're playing support you should really be doing this anyway.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Weirdly, I find I play League best when I'm a little tired or sore. I think it brings my mood down just enough so that I don't get too hyphy while not also getting me into Tilt City if I lose a single game.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im sure there is a big bunch of psychology words available about the optimization of mood and approach to league which will not meaningfully influence the win rates of the vast majority of people who read them just like there are a million mobafire guides on how to play adc lux or some poo poo

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/RiotMeddler/status/890303453272064000

lmao yeah increasing base damages by 100% tends to be pretty big deal!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Firebert posted:

https://twitter.com/RiotMeddler/status/890303453272064000

lmao yeah increasing base damages by 100% tends to be pretty big deal!

Or in this case 120%

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
that i think is one of the fastest hotfixes they've ever done

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's really phenomenal. I don't think that one even passes the sight test. Really mind boggling how it made it through.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Bad Threshes are so loving tilting. Dude, you have armour quints and reds, why take Targons when you suck dick at last hitting and you cost me like 20 cs constantly autoing the wave aaaaa

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

https://my.mixtape.moe/xqwefw.webm

Their Taliyah did not have a very good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Tried Lux support out in a normal: it feels better than it used to, but still not great. Her CDs are just too much of a hindrance during laning phase to have much of an impact. Lategame at 45% CDR and a bunch of mana regen and Censer and max W and Q you feel a lot better but that's wayyy down the line.

• Locked thread