Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
After relying for years on Deuce and Obafemi as our only scoring options, it's fun to feel like we have genuine questions about who should start for the Sounders. Lots of young talent coming up, the future is bright.

Still one DP slot to fill, and I have no idea what they'll do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
All the :stare:

https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/889483188095008768

Good on MLS telling him to piss off though.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Good. Because the first teams to be relegated (outside of maybe Seattle and Portland) would instantly fold and leave big ol empty stadiums in their wake.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

joshtothemaxx posted:

Good. Because the first teams to be relegated (outside of maybe Seattle and Portland) would instantly fold and leave big ol empty stadiums in their wake.

Yeah, I think it would be awesome for soccer to get big enough in the U.S. that we could do relegation, but we're nowhere close right now.

Also, I suspect Brian Schmetzer is promising to take the team out for pizza and I've cream if they win during his halftime speeches.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

joshtothemaxx posted:

We're on our way to being able to support pro/rel, but we're not there yet. FC Cincinnati and Sacramento Republic FC averaged 17k and 11.5k respectively last year. I think they're doing even better this year.

There are guys playing in the lower divisions that people should be excited about seeing. Young, promising academy kids, tier 2 CONCACAF players, even Didier Drogba and his weird all star team would be fun to go watch for $10-$20.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think the American soccer pyramid needs to sort itself out before pro/rel is even discussed. Right now, we have two second-division leagues creating a third-division league each. I mean....come on, guys.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Even if MLS wanted to move to Pro/Rel, they can't start a new media contract until 2022, and Silva wanted a 10 year deal. I'm pretty sure that even without the Pro/Rel requirement this whole deal was a DOA PR stunt.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Tigren posted:

We're on our way to being able to support pro/rel, but we're not there yet. FC Cincinnati and Sacramento Republic FC averaged 17k and 11.5k respectively last year. I think they're doing even better this year.

There are guys playing in the lower divisions that people should be excited about seeing. Young, promising academy kids, tier 2 CONCACAF players, even Didier Drogba and his weird all star team would be fun to go watch for $10-$20.

If everybody in the NASL could pull Sacramento's attendance then I'd absolutely think pro/rel would be workable (even though it is nowhere near the only way to manage "too many viable, popular teams to fit it one league"). Of course, historically MLS has just co-opted the few outlier teams in lower divisions that manage that (mine, for example). If people keep giving Their Local D2 Team a shot and liking it even though it isn't The Absolute Best In The World, I believe that MLS will continue trying to hoover up popular D2 teams in good markets until they are literally too big to logistically manage. At which point, who knows?

As for Silva, I agree with camo that he's basically just trolling - that proposed deal would come out to like $10-15m per team per year (barring further expansion), which, sure, triples the paltry amount of TV money teams currently get, but it's nothing near accounting for the financial risk of relegation, let alone the opportunity cost of breaking up the joint venture that's already produced a hell of a lot of ROI from the appreciation in franchise value, even leaving aside the revenues from SUM (mostly because nobody knows what those revenues are or where they go).

I figure anyone who actually has that kind of money to burn, isn't willing to buy into MLS and push their agenda from within the group (there are absolutely differences of opinion between the owners, as any CBA negotiation will reflect, and if expansion takes in more ambitious owners on balance vs. conservative ones - more Arthur Blanks and fewer Robert Krafts - then interesting things can happen), and wants to accomplish something rather than make a point would just force the issue and fund a competing league, honestly.

Go all AFL/ABA/WHA-But-With-Pro/Rel, outbid for player contracts, the whole shebang. Even if you don't win the day through the sheer compelling power of your Orthodox League Structure, a credible competitor to MLS could certainly draw concessions from it more readily than anything else bar maybe a credible antitrust suit. Certainly more readily than USSF action (lol, as if) or, even funnier, FIFA trying to force the issue. The fact that nobody is actually trying this is telling.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 24, 2017

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Other problem with pro/rel is MLS has forced parity with drafts, salary caps, designated roster slots, and so on mixed with blatant league favoritism toward big city clubs. That poo poo will take a while to level out.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
:laffo:

https://twitter.com/RipSports/status/889646914530152448

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
jesus christ senderos is only 32??

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Rumors flying that the Sounders have managed to land Derlis Gonzalez from Dynamo Kiev after all. Nothing confirmed yet, but the current theory is that Kiev is waiting until after their UCL qualifier Wednesday to complete the sale.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders-trades-transfers-rumors/2017/7/24/16022672/derlis-gonzalez-sounders-dynamo-kiev

Gonzalez is a 23 year old Paraguayan international who would slot right into the winger position the Sounders need to complete the team. If they can pull this off, holy poo poo what a roster that is on paper. Starting 11 most likely would be:
Frei, Jones, Marshall, Torres, Leerdam, Roldan, Alonso, Gonzalez, Lodeiro, Dempsey, Morris.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Loons' new home has a name: Allianz Field

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/SamMcDowell11/status/889899830033752064

Dom going to Orlando apparently.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I do not understand why SKC did this trade.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/889908661509869568

I guess?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Meanwhile, DC United still have 0 (zero) designated players, and our Late Game Offensive Substitution To Try To Spark A Goal on Saturday was..... CB Steve Birnbaum as a target forward. :discourse:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

camoseven posted:

our Late Game Offensive Substitution To Try To Spark A Goal on Saturday was..... CB Steve Birnbaum as a target forward. :discourse:

Did that actually happen? lol

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

camoseven posted:

Meanwhile, DC United still have 0 (zero) designated players, and our Late Game Offensive Substitution To Try To Spark A Goal on Saturday was..... CB Steve Birnbaum as a target forward. :discourse:

What's up our forwards are nearly getting outscored by defenders buddy.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Seltzer posted:

Did that actually happen? lol

Yep. That game was miserable. e: this season has been miserable

real edit: I just looked and our leading goal scorer has four goals. People moan that pro/rel would lead to teams folding when they got relegated, but frankly this DCU team deserves it.

camoseven fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 25, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apparently that $1.6m is more than twice what any other MLS player has brought back in cash? Is that right?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

bewbies posted:

Apparently that $1.6m is more than twice what any other MLS player has brought back in cash? Is that right?

Yep. $700k of it is incentives, but Twitter says they're stupid easy (literally "play one game for Orlando this season" easy).

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

camoseven posted:

Yep. $700k of it is incentives, but Twitter says they're stupid easy (literally "play one game for Orlando this season" easy).

Dom Dwyer gets lost in Disney World tour and dies.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

Dom Dwyer gets lost in Disney World tour and dies.

Cyle Larin is going to show him a good time and insist Dwyer drives them home.

I don't know, I'm from England.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

bewbies posted:

I do not understand why SKC did this trade.

Those cash incentives are like a whole new team for SKC. It may not be much in the transfermarkt world, but that's a poo poo ton in MLS. They can pay down other DPs and bring in new guys from Europe/South American while the window is still open. That's what Seattle is looking to do with Ozzie Alonso and Derlis Gonzalez.

Kind of weird timing given that they're contending for a high seed, so one would think they have a target or targets in mind.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

shirts and skins posted:

Those cash incentives are like a whole new team for SKC. It may not be much in the transfermarkt world, but that's a poo poo ton in MLS. They can pay down other DPs and bring in new guys from Europe/South American while the window is still open. That's what Seattle is looking to do with Ozzie Alonso and Derlis Gonzalez.

Kind of weird timing given that they're contending for a high seed, so one would think they have a target or targets in mind.

WHAT? The Sounders are looking to trade Ozzie? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

EDIT: Oh, wait, pay off his DP, yeah, okay, that's fine. Jesus. Heart attack. I need to learn to read better.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Pay down Ozzie to get Derlis as a DP...

...at least I hope that's the plan.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Jonathan dos Santos is going to the Galaxy. There's a line in there about LA shopping Jermaine Jones, and now I'm terrified that DC is gonna make a terrible decision and sign him. And then my season ticket rep will say "but all the fans were asking for a D mid on twitter!". And then I will die.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I really wish MLS/media would stop referring to allocation money as money, and instead call it what it actually is, which is "salary cap credit". SKC will have a lot of flexibility after this deal for the next couple of years, and Orlando will no longer be totally screwed if someone makes them an Offer They Can't Refuse to buy Larin this summer. We'll see who comes out better off in the long run.

Also, I'd actually forgotten that Jono Two Saints played in central midfield, but if it means they get rid of Jones then it's really like two signings. I'll be curious to see how the Galaxy make out without a Big Deal DP Striker though, that feels kind of like their thing.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Larin might be off to Besiktas

https://mobile.twitter.com/nicksabetti/status/890045795352883200

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

As the only KC fan here, I'm pretty befuddled by the Dwyer transfer. We can't score goals on our best days and I'd have to imagine the FO has something lined up. Otherwise we're looking at a 0-0 in every game for the rest of the season. Nemeth isn't good enough and I'd hope there's some kind of big name striker on the horizon for us.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

You could hope that Ibrahimovic really really really really likes BBQ? :shrug:

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004

The club must want some nice company for the other Canadian player they already have.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nostradingus posted:

As the only KC fan here

ahem

(they'll sign mmmbop)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

As the only KC fan here, I'm pretty befuddled by the Dwyer transfer. We can't score goals on our best days and I'd have to imagine the FO has something lined up. Otherwise we're looking at a 0-0 in every game for the rest of the season. Nemeth isn't good enough and I'd hope there's some kind of big name striker on the horizon for us.

Nemeth may not be good enough but I'm pretty sure he'd still be an improvement over Dwyer, at least 2017 Dwyer.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

bewbies posted:

ahem

(they'll sign mmmbop)

Diego Costa's on his way out of Chelsea, right???

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
Rapids did a thing. The team promised a "depth player" and a "player who raises the level of the group." We'll see how this turns out.

https://twitter.com/jeffreycarlisle/status/890278526833770496

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 26, 2017

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Whoops thought this was GDT

camoseven fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals