Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

mewse posted:

We are taking over IT services for a company whose backups are on a Buffalo

:shepicide:

Just be sure they don't fill past 95% and you'll be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChubbyThePhat posted:

BUT I HAD SO MANY RAIDS LAYERED! HOW COULD I LOSE EVERYTHING?????

It's the lovely software-RAID controlling the whole thing at the top that gets me every time :allears:.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Powered Descent posted:

Ah, but who do you think will have programmed the firing-squad bots?

:awesomelon: "You are scheduled for execution. At this time I am to ask for your blindfold and cigarette preferences, and for your last words."
:smug: "My last words are Klaatu Barada Nikto."
:awesomelon: "Standing down."

laputan machine

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

:lol:

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.
After watching that video (several years ago) I had no idea why anyone would listen to him about building a server. I still don't know.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He's no worse than anybody else who does video production and 'knows a bit about computers' and decides to solve their storage issues themselves. Other than acting as an authority on things, I guess.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

A malware came in.

User couldn't understand how it happened to her when the only external site she visited was Facebook. I asked her to walk me through what she was doing leading up to it and she navigated by typing "facebook login" into Google and clicking one of the results at random.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dross posted:

A malware came in.

User couldn't understand how it happened to her when the only external site she visited was Facebook. I asked her to walk me through what she was doing leading up to it and she navigated by typing "facebook login" into Google and clicking one of the results at random.

Knowing that this is one of the most common use cases, maddening or not, and being that Google has all its own anti-malware resources at its disposal, you'd think they'd be able to special-case their way to protecting people who grope their way along this unhappy path on a habitual basis.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Thanks Ants posted:

He's no worse than anybody else who does video production and 'knows a bit about computers' and decides to solve their storage issues themselves. Other than acting as an authority on things, I guess.

We have many clients who were like this. Hell, I was like this when I still worked in TV.

Now I'm on the other side of the fence and it feels pretty good helping people get their storage back on track.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

anthonypants posted:

22 Eargesplitten posted:
Wait, I missed that. His software multi-RAID was at the top a RAID 0?

anthonypants posted:
25 SSDs total, configured as 8 disks connected to three controllers as RAID 5 each, and then a software RAID 0 in Windows. The 25th drive was a cold swap.

The hell would you not run a hot spare if you committed to a raid 50 setup :psyduck:

v :vince:

Pacra fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 26, 2017

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

anthonypants posted:

25 SSDs total, configured as 8 disks connected to three controllers as RAID 5 each, and then a software RAID 0 in Windows. The 25th drive was a cold swap.

The Aristocrats!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We got a call from HP saying that both of our 3Par systems have drives that will fail within 6 months. They need to replace every drive. Replacing 1 drive takes 2 days to rebuild. :suicide:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dross posted:

A malware came in.

That's not new.

bonus thread

quote:

I TRULY DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON BUT I FEEL LIKE CURSING SOMEBODY OUT!!!!!! I CAN'T EVEN GET TO MY WALL OR ANYTHING !!!! I FEEL LIKE I'V BEEN PUNKED PUT IT BACK LIKE IT WAS!!! YA'LL ACT LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TAKEN TO COURT OR SOMETHING ,I DON'T HAVE THIS KINDA TIME TO BE FOOLING ARROUND ALL I WANT TO DO IS GAIN ACCESS TO MY FACEBOOK PAGE WHAT'S REALLY UP????????

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GreenNight posted:

We got a call from HP saying that both of our 3Par systems have drives that will fail within 6 months. They need to replace every drive. Replacing 1 drive takes 2 days to rebuild. :suicide:

How much storage are we talking about?

This is one of those instances where it'd make sense to just nuke the whole thing and restore from backups after replacing all the drives and recreating the arrays from scratch.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Oh god, I remember this, it was hilarious. I assume if you buy a google ad with the word "facebook" in it you can probably harvest thousands of passwords even today.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wibla posted:

How much storage are we talking about?

This is one of those instances where it'd make sense to just nuke the whole thing and restore from backups after replacing all the drives and recreating the arrays from scratch.

60 1.7TB drives per 3Par, so 120 drives total across 2 sites.

Ask me how our DR plan is.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
okay everyone repeat after me

if it's not in the ticket, it never happened

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Manager A from another department asks me to open a ticket and send it over to group B over something that happened yesterday.

Manager of group B calls me and gives me a huge attitude because "we told you yesterday that..." I tell him, okay that's fine but I need it in a ticket or an e-mail.

"I'm at home I can't"

Okay! But I need it in a ticket or an e-mail.

After that I got an angry grunt followed with complete silence for the past 15 minutes and counting. I hope he's updating the ticket or writing me an e-mail because otherwise this phone call never happened. Part of me really hopes he complains to my boss.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Renegret posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Renegret posted:

New thread title right here.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ratbert90 posted:

New thread title right here.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Renegret posted:

Manager A from another department asks me to open a ticket and send it over to group B over something that happened yesterday.

Manager of group B calls me and gives me a huge attitude because "we told you yesterday that..." I tell him, okay that's fine but I need it in a ticket or an e-mail.

"I'm at home I can't"

Okay! But I need it in a ticket or an e-mail.

After that I got an angry grunt followed with complete silence for the past 15 minutes and counting. I hope he's updating the ticket or writing me an e-mail because otherwise this phone call never happened. Part of me really hopes he complains to my boss.

Why did you stay on the phone call for 15minutes of silence? I'd have hung up after five seconds.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Steakandchips posted:

Why did you stay on the phone call for 15minutes of silence? I'd have hung up after five seconds.

I thought it was funny.

And I was hoping for another opportunity to butt heads with this guy. I wound up hanging up at the 21 minute mark.

It's not like it costs anything for me to slap him on speaker and mute anyway.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The thing that kills me is this company has gone away from a customer focused "I don't care who's fault it is let's just get it fixed" to "refuse to take responsibility and try to deflect blame at any opportunity."

I have no work to do anymore and most of my work time is spent surfing the forums. Then the few times I actually do have something to do, it's nothing but aggravation as everyone spins in circles pointing fingers at one another.

(I'm burning all of my vacation time in one shot in September, I'll be job hunting once I get back)

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Renegret posted:

*responds with pre-existing mile long message chain with 10 people involved*

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Dumb mandatory ticket template tricks

"When Did the Issue Start Occurring? Weeks ago.
Last Time the Device Worked: Before that."

Most people can never pinpoint when it broke, so the latter question seems useful but rarely ever is.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think the issue is people see a problem, ignore it until it either A. gets too annoying, or B. gets to the point where no work is getting done.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

CDW posted:

Dumb mandatory ticket template tricks

"When Did the Issue Start Occurring? Weeks ago.
Last Time the Device Worked: Before that."

Most people can never pinpoint when it broke, so the latter question seems useful but rarely ever is.

I'm not sure when my answers to those questions ould ever be different, tbf.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I'm not sure when my answers to those questions ould ever be different, tbf.

Something like "I smelled something electrical burning for a few weeks before it died last week" but yeah, I don't know if it's all that useful.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Renegret posted:

A corollary

stevewm
May 10, 2005
These completely pointless phone calls are always fun.

:j:: I got an error message...
:eng101:: On what? A Computer? A Printer? Which One?
:j:: Don't know...
:eng101:: What did it say?
:j:: I don't know.
:eng101:: Is it working now?
:j:: Don't know that either. So and so told me to call and tell you an error message came up. That's all I know.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

stevewm posted:

Jesus Christ :gonk:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

stevewm posted:

:eng101:: Where?
:j:: On your website...
:j:: Don't know that either. I'm driving right now, but I wanted to do you a favor and give you a call to let you know that your website is broke :)"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

:eng101:: On what? A Computer? A Printer? Which One?
:j:: Don't know...
:j:: Don't know that either. So and so told me to call and tell you an error message came up. That's all I know.

My wife will ask me to call someone, generally one of my family members, and ask about X. X generally being holiday plans or event dates or arrival times.

I'll call and ask about X, get the answer, and then relay that back to my wife.

She'll say, but what about Y? And Z? Why didn't you talk about Y and Z? I need to know about Y and Z, too! Call them back!

And I'll ask her why she doesn't make her own goddamned phone calls :argh:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Yesterday was unusually busy for me. I didn't get a real break until 4pm when I went for a walk around the block.

Phone rings. Caller hangs up. I keep walking. Lovely day outside.
Phone rings. It's a guy that's sort of a tool and almost ran me over a couple of weeks ago. He needs assistance with something so I tell him I'm outside but heading back upstairs.
Phone rings. It's him again and he no longer needs my help. Cool! I turn around and get back to walking.
Phone rings. It's him again and he really does need my help.

Ah well.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dick Trauma posted:

Yesterday was unusually busy for me. I didn't get a real break until 4pm when I went for a walk around the block.

Phone rings. Caller hangs up. I keep walking. Lovely day outside.
Phone rings. It's a guy that's sort of a tool and almost ran me over a couple of weeks ago. He needs assistance with something so I tell him I'm outside but heading back upstairs.
Phone rings. It's him again and he no longer needs my help. Cool! I turn around and get back to walking.
Phone rings. It's him again and he really does need my help.

Ah well.

At least he bothered to tell you he didn't need you. Most people wait until I turn up to go 'oh no we fixed that an hour ago, we don't need you anymore.'

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Renegret posted:

if it's not in the ticket, pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt

Fixed

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Phone rings. It's a guy that's sort of a tool and almost ran me over a couple of weeks ago.

why pick up the phone at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Renegret posted:

What does this mean if someone deletes the ticket?

• Locked thread