Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Kijiji buyers hate him! Click here to find out his one dirty trick to buy cars for just the deposit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Bajaha posted:

Owner is wafting and using lack of time as excuse. I've offered to help with dropping it off at the shop and they offer after hours drop off, and it's not been driving so it's not like he needs it as a daily.

Without the PPI I won't buy this one so I guess potential bullet dodged and it'll be somebody else's mess to clean up. Oh well. Time to start dredging Kijiji for another opportunity!

Funny enough, the car is *technically* mine as the PO had sent me a fully filled out bill of sale and a copy of the registration signing that I've already paid him in full.

Really wanted to tell you no, everything about the description indicated more problems were to be found or likely to surface

Happy this happened! Good hunting

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I thought your last boxster was a great steal/turnaround, but a free one? Nicely wangled.

A friend of mine once sold his beater 1994 Grand Am to someone for $1500 cash, expecting to be able to take his completely not worth anything $50 tape deck head unit out of it after the deal was made and a bill of sale was handed over. Dude was like "Nope, gently caress you, it's my car now."

Obviously a 20 year old with a $1500 cash car isn't going to lawyer up like would happen with a free Porsche, but that's still kind of amusing. "I don't have time to get my car that I'm willing to sell and selling as good to the mechanic for a PPI" seems like a big red flag though.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I finally got around to doing some car stuff so I took the turbo in for it's first maintenance under my ownership and got a pretty much clean bill of health. The clutch accumulator was shot and after replacement the car is much more drivable, I have no idea how the original PPI missed it because it took Steinels 30 seconds to find it. Eat poo poo Gosset Porsche, what a ripoff for that garbage PPI.

I've also started gathering a pile of correctly documented parts to get the C2 back on the road this summer plus scheduled the turbo for a full body wrap to protect its overall terrific condition. It's been an expensive week though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There's a 3800 mile 996TT on BaT that's already up to $62.5k. That's quite a bit higher than I would have thought it would actually sell for.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Within the BaT Porsche bidder community, low mileage seems to have an irrational boost to price.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I think the collector grade ones are sort of a bubble right now because the average ones started to climb last year and the collector dudes are convincing each other that it's going to be the next GT2 and GT3.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Man, this low-mileage premium is whack: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-porsche-911-turbo-9/

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yeah, that's loving nuts. I wonder what a better optioned car in a rarer color would have gone for? One of the ones I test drove when I was shopping had a whopping 22k miles and ended up selling for $46k. After fees and everything that car is going for $30k more.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

:getin:

Now we need the 997.2TT engines to start showing issues to really go crazy. What a waste of a good car though, rotting away in garage somewhere with a bunch of other good cars no doubt.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I can kind of understand the premium on the really old models, fetching $100k easily.

But this is a regular ol' 2001 996... it just has never been driven

Why on gods green earth would someone pay that much money, when they could buy a 911 turbo that is only a few years old for the same money, or less if they find a good deal

This just seems insane to me, and yes I say that knowing full well just how insane the used Porsche market is

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sappo569 posted:

I can kind of understand the premium on the really old models, fetching $100k easily.

But this is a regular ol' 2001 996... it just has never been driven

Why on gods green earth would someone pay that much money, when they could buy a 911 turbo that is only a few years old for the same money, or less if they find a good deal

This just seems insane to me, and yes I say that knowing full well just how insane the used Porsche market is

That is a turbo. But yeah, doesn't low milage just mean none of the routine maintenance has been done as well? If you're buying a 996 Turbo, presumably it's to drive it, because I cannot understand why else you would buy it. It seems like paying premium for a car that is going to be a poo poo show. My friend bought a low milage 80s Mercedes 300D, and it is pretty much constantly breaking down.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Toe Rag posted:

That is a turbo. But yeah, doesn't low milage just mean none of the routine maintenance has been done as well? If you're buying a 996 Turbo, presumably it's to drive it, because I cannot understand why else you would buy it. It seems like paying premium for a car that is going to be a poo poo show. My friend bought a low milage 80s Mercedes 300D, and it is pretty much constantly breaking down.

Lol thats a good point. Also a car driven that little really cant be in good health.

Routine maintenance knocks a lot of corrosion and stuff free and a lot of stuff really isnt designed to age its designed to get worn out repeatedly so its a crapshoot what will survive on any given car. poo poo like coil packs just crack and arc into the mount and whatnot whether you use it or not. On a porsche i imagine its not cheap. If you buy a v12 merc just lol.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
2001 Porsche! Only 2,000 miles! Original tires!!!

Ffffuuuu

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Does this seem like a good price on a seemingly nice condition, lower mileage 944S?

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/d/1988-porsche-944/6275585140.html

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
This looks like a pretty good deal:

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/1998-pristine-porsche-boxster/6288785789.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That looks clean and most of what he did seems decent. Those ebay headlights somehow managed to be worse than the OEM. I'd be buying a set of used litronics years before $1400 for an ebay HID solution.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

Does this seem like a good price on a seemingly nice condition, lower mileage 944S?

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/d/1988-porsche-944/6275585140.html

That seems a little high, under 6000 wouldn't be the worst price but you're getting in 951/S2 territory for a little more.

In related news, this is local to me and has steadily dropped from ~18k to 11.5k which is squarely in buy-it-not territory if you're in the market for a 968. https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/rare-porsche-968-coupe-reduced/6252126333.html

I kind of wish I could justify buying it then dumping my current 968 and beater 996 but I just spent a pile of cash on the turbo and 996.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 2, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, that looks like a great deal.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really
Hey guys, I'm a douchebag too!

Bought this a couple of months back, 2002 996 turbo.

The interior is boxster red, full leather, it's been described as a handbag.

:siren:LEATHER AIR VENTS:siren:

It's been a tough car to learn as my first manual, riding bikes for years did not at all prepare me, particularly since the powersteering boosted hydraulic clutch has absolutely no feedback of any kind.

So far the most involved maintenance I've done is replacing the coolant expansion tank... which required me to remove the airbox+lots of intake ducting and lower the engine 3 inches:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Leather vents? :psyduck:

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Red_Fred posted:

Leather vents? :psyduck:

Apparently when porsche say 'full leather' they mean FULL leather.

astropika fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 5, 2017

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
The vents aren't even included in the full leather. They have to be asked for specifically and they're not cheap. People are crazy and Porsche takes advantage.

As for the clutch, do yourself a favor and remove the assist spring on the clutch pedal. Removing it makes the clutch feel much more linear, if quite a lot heavier. You can also tie the clutch microswitch down as well so the car never backs off throttle response when you put the clutch in, makes down-shifting a lot smoother.

Well at least that's all for the 996 of that vintage, don't know if the turbo had similar spring/throttle mapping.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Are you missing your coolant reservoir cap?

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Dave Inc. posted:

The vents aren't even included in the full leather. They have to be asked for specifically and they're not cheap. People are crazy and Porsche takes advantage.

I'm not seeing them on the build sheet. Full leather package, steering column covered in leather, inner sill parts/release leather, dome lamp cover leather (jesus christ). Maybe it's in the option codes?

It's a bit oppressive, a leather cocoon. Luckily it has deviating carpet color so it at least doesn't have the awful pink carpet.

Dave Inc. posted:

As for the clutch, do yourself a favor and remove the assist spring on the clutch pedal. Removing it makes the clutch feel much more linear, if quite a lot heavier. You can also tie the clutch microswitch down as well so the car never backs off throttle response when you put the clutch in, makes down-shifting a lot smoother.

Well at least that's all for the 996 of that vintage, don't know if the turbo had similar spring/throttle mapping.

Yeah, I've already removed the spring, it helped a bit, it made the clutch action linear, before there was a false change in pressure when the spring tripped over, right before the friction zone. So at least it doesn't have a false and misleading feel.

I can see why they boosted the clutch, when I was removing the clutch spring I pushed the clutch down so many times that I used up the accumulator and oh god it's so heavy. Presumably that's what a GT2 clutch feels like.

What's less excusable was leaving the assist spring in, which is a leftover from the normal 996 which doesn't have the P/S boost, and serves essentially no purpose in the turbo. The pedal doesn't even sit lower with it removed.

CornHolio posted:

Are you missing your coolant reservoir cap?

Yes, I'm also missing:
- coolant
- airbox
- intake distributor
- fuel filter
- lots of hoses

That was all the stuff I had to remove to get the coolant tank out, and t still wasn't enough, I should have lowered the engine from the start, it was so easy, it just sounded daunting.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

astropika posted:

I'm not seeing them on the build sheet. Full leather package, steering column covered in leather, inner sill parts/release leather, dome lamp cover leather (jesus christ). Maybe it's in the option codes?

It's a bit oppressive, a leather cocoon. Luckily it has deviating carpet color so it at least doesn't have the awful pink carpet.

Yeah, I've already removed the spring, it helped a bit, it made the clutch action linear, before there was a false change in pressure when the spring tripped over, right before the friction zone. So at least it doesn't have a false and misleading feel.

I can see why they boosted the clutch, when I was removing the clutch spring I pushed the clutch down so many times that I used up the accumulator and oh god it's so heavy. Presumably that's what a GT2 clutch feels like.

What's less excusable was leaving the assist spring in, which is a leftover from the normal 996 which doesn't have the P/S boost, and serves essentially no purpose in the turbo. The pedal doesn't even sit lower with it removed.

Yes, I'm also missing:
- coolant
- airbox
- intake distributor
- fuel filter
- lots of hoses

That was all the stuff I had to remove to get the coolant tank out, and t still wasn't enough, I should have lowered the engine from the start, it was so easy, it just sounded daunting.

Do you know for sure the accumulator is good? Mine was leaking and replacing it made a world of difference in predictability. It's still fairly bad, but at least it's more linear with an earlier release.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Jymmybob posted:

Do you know for sure the accumulator is good? Mine was leaking and replacing it made a world of difference in predictability. It's still fairly bad, but at least it's more linear with an earlier release.

I don't know for sure, it had the accumulator replaced years ago. It holds pressure, I can depress the clutch plenty of times after the car has been off for several days and it's still boosted.

The engagement point is about halfway, where the spring used to trip over (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfjD4a_m900), which I gather is due to the boost meaning it's always going to start just where the pedal actuates the hydraulic line. I still have to listen and feel the engine to know when to balance with the gas, I turn the stereo down at lights :v.

It's difficult because I'm used to a cable hand clutch where I can feel everything, I can tell exactly how much slip I have through vibration and tension in the lever. I have no real benchmark for what a hydraulic clutch should feel like, particularly not one with this wacky boost system. A friend who's driven manuals his entire life (including several older 911s and a 987 cayman) has said this is the weirdest clutch he's ever used, like it's not connected to anything at all, just a pedal pushing against a spring, doing nothing.

astropika fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 6, 2017

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like it's fine then. Mine lost it after like 2 pushes and the engagement was like an inch or two from the fully released position. I've thought about taking the spring out and/or doing the GT2 conversion but my wife drives it pretty well as is and likes the light engagement so it's something I'll just have to live with. Also it made a great excuse to buy more porsches for learning purposes.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

astropika posted:

I don't know for sure, it had the accumulator replaced years ago. It holds pressure, I can depress the clutch plenty of times after the car has been off for several days and it's still boosted.

The engagement point is about halfway, where the spring used to trip over (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfjD4a_m900), which I gather is due to the boost meaning it's always going to start just where the pedal actuates the hydraulic line. I still have to listen and feel the engine to know when to balance with the gas, I turn the stereo down at lights :v.

It's difficult because I'm used to a cable hand clutch where I can feel everything, I can tell exactly how much slip I have through vibration and tension in the lever. I have no real benchmark for what a hydraulic clutch should feel like, particularly not one with this wacky boost system. A friend who's driven manuals his entire life (including several older 911s and a 987 cayman) has said this is the weirdest clutch he's ever used, like it's not connected to anything at all, just a pedal pushing against a spring, doing nothing.

Try driving a modern econobox with a manual. I was driving an Opel Meriva in Germany and I swore the gas pedal took more force than the clutch.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Very possibly worth the 14k, but I figured I'd always want more of a rat-rod for a LS-swapped 944:
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/6294444305.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
drat, that is very nice looking.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

kimbo305 posted:

Very possibly worth the 14k, but I figured I'd always want more of a rat-rod for a LS-swapped 944:
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/6294444305.html

That's a lot of go for the money.

It looks clean enough (and expensive enough) that I'd probably feel bad about cutting a hole in the hood and bolting on a blower :v: although that would probably ruin the balance too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Not gonna lie; I messaged the guy asking about the swap specifics, namely the engine management, and haven't heard back. Playing hard to get, eh?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Following a GT4 auction where people are obsessed with the over-rev report. Can someone explain what the different ranges mean?
Why does Porsche track that stat, and why do people take it so seriously?
I assume other cars, where you can do the same thing to the motor, just don't record the events, and buyers will be blissfully ignorant?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
There's 6 ranges on modern Porsches and show how much time the engine has spent in various RPM ranges near redline. 1-3 ranges are ok, 4 is iffy, 5 is bad, 6 is very bad. It also tells you how long it's been since the last time it hit those rpm ranges, and total engine time so you can do some maths and get average speed driver and some other misc data that give some insight to the car's life. The main reason people want to see it is to see how off the PO was bouncing off the limiter or if they've mis-shifted. My 996TT has a lot of 1s because the redline was raised in the tune but zero 2s for example but it's from when there were only 2 ranges.

edit: lots of :words: http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 7, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ah, so the bad stuff is really only when the motor is mechanically over-revved on downshifts, assuming the rev limiter always works.
I can see why it's important, but seems like an extremely prudish move to be obsessing.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Considering the 9x7 and 9x6 have the dreaded bearing reputation I understand being hesitant with rpm's in higher ranges as it could put unwanted wear on the bearings.

The blue boxster I was looking at had revs in ranges 3 and 4 and it helped me decide to walk away from it, among all the other red flags.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Ah, so the bad stuff is really only when the motor is mechanically over-revved on downshifts, assuming the rev limiter always works.
I can see why it's important, but seems like an extremely prudish move to be obsessing.

It's a nice clean set of important data that obsessive people can use to make all kinds of theories and stories about the car to fit their opinion. Really all it's good for is saying yes/no/maybe to if the engine's been abused and I've looked at quite a few during my search and you'll know when you see the good and bad ones.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

Considering the 9x7 and 9x6 have the dreaded bearing reputation I understand being hesitant with rpm's in higher ranges as it could put unwanted wear on the bearings.

The blue boxster I was looking at had revs in ranges 3 and 4 and it helped me decide to walk away from it, among all the other red flags.

ddddoublepost but the general consensus is that harder driven M96s have tended to have less IMS problems because the high temps and more sloshing are more likely to get fresh oil in the bearing after the grease is gone but there's no real proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Jymmybob posted:

ddddoublepost but the general consensus is that harder driven M96s have tended to have less IMS problems because the high temps and more sloshing are more likely to get fresh oil in the bearing after the grease is gone but there's no real proof.

Yeah, I've heard similar. There's also the rumor that the later ones are reversed and that spirited driving is more likely to cause them to fail. Lots of hearsay and anecdotal evidence around this issue for sure.

I'm of the belief that a regularly driven car with up to date maintenance should be fine, I'm fairly wary of the garage queens with low mileage as sitting for extended periods of time has me worried about hard starts when everything isn't nicely lubbed up.