Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Heat mods are never good. They're literally never good.
I played a Skyblock style map once, but instead of a void world it started you on an endless tundra. You got pebbles from sifting snow. It was actually a really cool twist on the common format and I enjoyed the premise.
However it had a heat mechanic (same mod as Forever Stranded, I believe) and like every heat mod it works unintuitively, is totally ridiculous, and doesn't provide fun challenge. I nearly froze to death on night 1, and was able to make a campfire just in time. It never went out, and I nearly died of heatstroke by standing near it while sifting snow, even though I was in a loving igloo in an iced-over planet, at night.
You have to remember that these mods are written by people who've probably never gone outside except to go to the store.

The problem with survival mods like this is that they're never designed with the idea of "this is a problem to be overcome", it's always "this is a problem you have to deal with constantly".

Like, the idea that you can "solve" hunger normally by just planting a few crops and calling it a day is too easy, so now we need Spice of Life installed that forces you to keep eating different foods due to diminishing returns. What's that, this modpack only has maybe two types of readily available foods for the first few hours? Oh well.

Or with Tough As Nails. As near as I can tell, there's no way whatsoever to get to a point where you don't have to worry about your body temperature. You're going to be switching outfits, standing in water/near firepits, and making heating/cooling coils all the way to the end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Or with Tough As Nails. As near as I can tell, there's no way whatsoever to get to a point where you don't have to worry about your body temperature. You're going to be switching outfits, standing in water/near firepits, and making heating/cooling coils all the way to the end of the game.

There's a personal temperature regulator that consumes RF to "keep player temperature at optimal level." It's a trinket.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

There's a personal temperature regulator that consumes RF to "keep player temperature at optimal level." It's a trinket.

Oh, well there you are then. I haven't gotten anywhere near that level in Stranded; I'm just at the point where I have the "make cooling coils" quest.

Related: how am I supposed to get frozen rods?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, well there you are then. I haven't gotten anywhere near that level in Stranded; I'm just at the point where I have the "make cooling coils" quest.

Related: how am I supposed to get frozen rods?

You aren't, there's another recipe that uses diamond shards.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Oh yeah LOL. The "use JEI not NEI because it's buggy, but install NEI so it plugs into JEI."

There's a mod that adds them called Just Enough Buttons. It's designed to work the JEI, but isn't actually dependent.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 25, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Echophonic posted:

There's a mod that adds them called Just Enough Buttons or something to that effect.

Yeah, there's "Just Enough Buttons" and "More Overlays", which will add the buttons and F7 light overlays.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

mechaet posted:

Gimmick name based off of the pack that started this series (Toast) and one of the most oft-repeated phrases here ("never stop posting"). I don't really claim anything beyond the cleverness to combine the two, and that ain't much.

I'm still debating how far I want to dip my toe back in, but willing to run a server for Exploration at least.

If you want, I just released NST Exploration 0.5.7 which has most of the Really Bad(TM) mod bugs fixed and includes a server pack file (Linux or OS X, but just need a start.bat written for Windows ;)).

Advanced Rocketry still has an annoying bug #721 which has a fix that hasn't been released for general consumption yet.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Okay I ripped out NEI and switched over to the JEI buttons and overlays mod, but I haven't tested it yet. I also got a fast leaf decay mod; I guess RandomThings doesn't do that anymore.

Apparently the bug that was crashing the game when I added Galacticraft has to do with MFR toggling placing milk in the world. I disabled that and could start with Galacticraft. If I understand this correctly, I think I actually have a good 1:1 migration from 1.7.10 to 1.10.2 now--except for a smidgen of Artifice in particular. I guess I also have to migrate Baby'sFirstSupportMod but I'm hoping they improved some of the commands I was having to implement. Theoretically the teleport command improved and I don't even need my crap code anymore.

I was trying to monkey around in the OTG Biome Bundle config to increase structures. There's a worldObjects ratio control set to 20. I first increased it to 40 and saw nothing outlandish, so I brought it up to 100. Still nothing interesting. I guess I try 10000 tonight, and failing that, 1. Hey, maybe the ratio goes the other way. Who knows. Documentation? What?

Is there a 1.10.2 mod that adds the explodey nether ores? I see nether ores but no boom booms. I shouldn't enjoy this as much as I do but I really did enjoy having that in BFSR plastered in warnings everywhere.

You all playing COTT with the prefabs had me thinking that there's just cornucopia of houses that it can poo poo out when you get started. I'll grant that there are a few, and they all heavily contrast each other. It sounded like there was a variety of house shapes but I don't see it. Did I misinterpret this? I can't really complain because this things creates a better BFSR starter home than I had even wanted to be able to do. I just liked this notion of having a variety on a server for all the people that make hobbit homes so they could form a village that wasn't just four ranch houses and a random pyramid.

I had some notion of adding Hunger Overhaul with it initially disabled per-player, but then having it overtly activate midway through a quest chapter on Pam's Harvestcraft. The idea was that the first bits would go into Cooking for Blockheads and what you can make mostly from vanilla food sources without a specter of diminishing food returns. Then to finish the chapter, you have to get into some of the original food sources to keep a variety. I only want to do it since there have been quite a few challenge modpacks relying on it. I was going to offset it with a fast food joint in the tutorial city with a rotating breakfast/dinner menu of high-saturation junk food, a seed store, and a variety of seed rewards in the chapter. Also I want to make sure tofu is a thing to make the protein sources more regular and guilt-free. This all only works if I can toggle this on a per-player basis. I wouldn't want one player on a server hitting the quest and then causing a global toggle. If that's the case then I'll abandon the hunger mechanic.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Sage Grimm posted:

So uh, Project Ozone 2. I may have found an oversight with ProjectE EMC. The Red Matter Tools can be combined together into the Katar and Morning Star. The EMC values of the Red Matter Tools don't appear to have been meddled with, nor the Red Matter necessary for the recipe to make the two multi-tools. HOWEVER, the Katar is a whopping 2 071 459 056 EMC which is something on the order of 275x the recipe cost (7 512 064). The Morning Star is similarly oversized. To put this into perspective, the transmutation tablet can only hold approximately half that. The recipe cost isn't particularly difficult to put together as by the time you can produce the vibrantium block (each ingot requires a 2 villager souls + 2 emeralds, 8 vibrant alloy ingots and 32 soularium ingots) you've probably got enough EMC floating around in your storage from Magical Crops. That's something like ~110 Diamond blocks.

Enjoy your duped nether stars!

You don't even have to go that far for a crazy EMC loop (though that one is probably the most ridiculous one I've ever seen) . The last of the essences you can get from Magical Crops, the ones that you smelt in a Redstone Furnace to get Demon Steel? The Demon Steel is worth at least twice as much as the essence that makes it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So uhhhh has HQM been officially eclipsed in 1.10.2? I have to bang my head against the game to get it to try to import the old 1.7.10 quests because it doesn't explain anything. I finally managed to get them to load one-by-one, and they were a complete mess. I expected this and figure I will have to write a script to help me remap a lot of stuff. The problem is that the mod errors when trying to save all this stuff out again, so I can't export it back out to do checks. I'm looking online and they're talking about a hiatus again. So if I'm about to write a pile of scripts to transform my JSON data, I would rather transform it into a questing format that is more workable.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So uhhhh has HQM been officially eclipsed in 1.10.2? I have to bang my head against the game to get it to try to import the old 1.7.10 quests because it doesn't explain anything. I finally managed to get them to load one-by-one, and they were a complete mess. I expected this and figure I will have to write a script to help me remap a lot of stuff. The problem is that the mod errors when trying to save all this stuff out again, so I can't export it back out to do checks. I'm looking online and they're talking about a hiatus again. So if I'm about to write a pile of scripts to transform my JSON data, I would rather transform it into a questing format that is more workable.

Better Questing has an HQM import, you could try that.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

Better Questing has an HQM import, you could try that.

Yeah but then I'm using Better Questing. Is that mod working out for everybody now?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Pi In The Sky posted:

You don't even have to go that far for a crazy EMC loop (though that one is probably the most ridiculous one I've ever seen) . The last of the essences you can get from Magical Crops, the ones that you smelt in a Redstone Furnace to get Demon Steel? The Demon Steel is worth at least twice as much as the essence that makes it.

Yeah, I just noticed that banging out the Demon Steel ingots quest line. There's some funny EMC math being done against some of the Quantumcraft components too, including things that use Nether stars being less valuable than the recipe. :psyduck:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ugh, I'm getting to the point where Forever Stranded is getting really loving tedious. Having to spend most of an in-game day just to cool off is a huge pain in the rear end, I'm spending my not-cooling-down time digging up sand to make a wall around my base, and Spice of Life isn't helping either since I don't have a huge farm set up yet and it sucks rear end anyway.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ugh, I'm getting to the point where Forever Stranded is getting really loving tedious. Having to spend most of an in-game day just to cool off is a huge pain in the rear end, I'm spending my not-cooling-down time digging up sand to make a wall around my base, and Spice of Life isn't helping either since I don't have a huge farm set up yet and it sucks rear end anyway.

Hit escape, Mod Options, search for 'tough' in the search box. Survival Settings, 'enable body temperature' to false (also turn off Seasons, all it does is make vanilla crops die in 'winter'). As for the food thing, I just stopped eating since it wasn't like I was taking any damage I needed to heal up or anything. And then I made the Pam's Market and turned emeralds into seeds (make sure you at least get soy beans for tofu). Simple poo poo like salads and vegetable soups have 10 satiation (or, well, 20 satiation points I guess).

Also don't forget you can build upwards. Don't be bound by the ground!

Also, a tip: have your auto-cactus farm collect the dropped cactus with a hopper. Do -not- have a item transfer node then automatically push cactuses into a crucible though. Apparently it can push a whole stack of cactus into one of those too quickly and you end up getting like 1.5 buckets of water out of it. :shrug:

Jesus christ punji sticks are incredible.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 26, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Run the chat command /tan tempinfo . Most likely what is happening is that the environment is such that you can only cool off so much, and you're just sitting at equilibrium spinning your wheels, expecting the temperature to go down when it's not going to go down any more.

Also, work on cooling items. Make jelled armor and the cooling coils. Set up the coils inside the ship, then head into the back room and sit in that tiny puddle of fake lava. Your change rate will go from 250 to 20. Be careful -- there's real danger of dying from hypothermia that way. :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I already have the jellied armor, and I have a diamond so I can make the cooling coils; I just need to make everything else too.

How would I make an auto-cactus farm?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

How would I make an auto-cactus farm?

Vanilla style:

You can tile this as little or as much as you want. Make sure the cactus is growing on :worship: SNAD :worship: for best results.

The way this works is that cactus doesn't like to be next to another block, so it automatically breaks if a block is nearby. However, it does its growing before it checks to see if there's a block in the way, so any block that's next to a spot where cactus will grow will cause the new cactus chunk to immediately break into an item.

I use fence posts here because they're the smallest free-standing block, which minimizes the incidence of :spergin: CACTUS FRATRICIDE. :spergin:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Vanilla style:

You can tile this as little or as much as you want. Make sure the cactus is growing on :worship: SNAD :worship: for best results.

The way this works is that cactus doesn't like to be next to another block, so it automatically breaks if a block is nearby. However, it does its growing before it checks to see if there's a block in the way, so any block that's next to a spot where cactus will grow will cause the new cactus chunk to immediately break into an item.

I use fence posts here because they're the smallest free-standing block, which minimizes the incidence of :spergin: CACTUS FRATRICIDE. :spergin:

Huh, interesting. So I'm assuming you're just hoppering all that cactus into a crucible?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Huh, interesting. So I'm assuming you're just hoppering all that cactus into a crucible?

Essentially. I got super lucky with my loot chests, and got 2 pulsating iron as a reward, which I used to build a vacuum chest. The water is still necessary to get things into its limited range, but it does a good job sucking stuff up.

Then I got another insane loot chest reward in the form of a Pam's Harvestcraft Well, which provides infinite water. (It takes reinforced obsidian and some other thing to build normally, so getting it as early as I did was hilarious.)

Now I just use the cactus farm for composting into dirt.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I submitted a pull request to add 9 characters of code to HQM to it can save quests again. Let's see how it goes!

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I'm going to learn to make mods just to change the SNAD recipe to require 8 clay blocks and a nether star, to get that sweet sweet forgecraft cred. Or maybe unstable ingot blocks

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Essentially. I got super lucky with my loot chests, and got 2 pulsating iron as a reward, which I used to build a vacuum chest. The water is still necessary to get things into its limited range, but it does a good job sucking stuff up.

Then I got another insane loot chest reward in the form of a Pam's Harvestcraft Well, which provides infinite water. (It takes reinforced obsidian and some other thing to build normally, so getting it as early as I did was hilarious.)

Now I just use the cactus farm for composting into dirt.

Without the vacuum chest you could just have the water push all the cactus over a hopper that's attached to a chest, right?

(or is that exactly what Evil Mastermind meant?)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Seriously though. A loving emerald.
Like, in this person's mind, a diamond was too cheap.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I'm going to learn to make mods just to change the SNAD recipe to require 8 clay blocks and a nether star, to get that sweet sweet forgecraft cred. Or maybe unstable ingot blocks

Recipes are practically hardcoded data.

Here, I found it for you:
https://github.com/TheRoBrit/Snad/b...nProxy.java#L43
code:
  @Override
  public void registerRecipes() {
    int regularMetadata = BlockSnad.EnumType.SNAD.getMetadata();
    int redMetadata = BlockSnad.EnumType.RED_SNAD.getMetadata();

GameRegistry.addRecipe(new ItemStack(blockSnad, 1, regularMetadata),
                           "S", "S", 'S', new ItemStack(Blocks.SAND, 1, regularMetadata));

GameRegistry.addRecipe(new ItemStack(blockSnad, 1, redMetadata),
                           "S", "S", 'S', new ItemStack(Blocks.SAND, 1, redMetadata));
  }
Yeah you could minetweaker it but I think what you want to do is submit a pull request where the recipe is a band of emeralds with a sand on top, plus a nether star in the middle. I am sure the mod authors would appreciate seeing somebody take some initiative towards solving problems in the modding community rather than complaining about it in the issue tracker.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Recipes are practically hardcoded data.

Here, I found it for you:
https://github.com/TheRoBrit/Snad/b...nProxy.java#L43
code:
  @Override
  public void registerRecipes() {
    int regularMetadata = BlockSnad.EnumType.SNAD.getMetadata();
    int redMetadata = BlockSnad.EnumType.RED_SNAD.getMetadata();

GameRegistry.addRecipe(new ItemStack(blockSnad, 1, regularMetadata),
                           "S", "S", 'S', new ItemStack(Blocks.SAND, 1, regularMetadata));

GameRegistry.addRecipe(new ItemStack(blockSnad, 1, redMetadata),
                           "S", "S", 'S', new ItemStack(Blocks.SAND, 1, redMetadata));
  }
Yeah you could minetweaker it but I think what you want to do is submit a pull request where the recipe is a band of emeralds with a sand on top, plus a nether star in the middle. I am sure the mod authors would appreciate seeing somebody take some initiative towards solving problems in the modding community rather than complaining about it in the issue tracker.

Careful what you ask for. If you jokingly submit a pull request that is this ridiculous, the mod author might just say, "Fine. Sure. People keep asking, so they'll get it." and accept the pull request. Just for fun, use an item that has no default EMC value for EE3/Project E, or submit a pull request to those mods to blacklist snad.

Voila, you've now ruined a fun mod for everyone else. :)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magres posted:

Without the vacuum chest you could just have the water push all the cactus over a hopper that's attached to a chest, right?

Yeah, that'd work fine.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Magres posted:

(or is that exactly what Evil Mastermind meant?)

It is, but for some reason that setup isn't working for me in auto-breaking the cactus.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

It is, but for some reason that setup isn't working for me in auto-breaking the cactus.

The fence posts are one block up and one block left/right of the cactus; the picture kindof looks like they're offset diagonally. Cactus only breaks when directly adjacent to a block.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

McFrugal posted:

The fence posts are one block up and one block left/right of the cactus; the picture kindof looks like they're offset diagonally. Cactus only breaks when directly adjacent to a block.

Oooooooh, I get it now. Yeah, I had everything set up in an X formation.

In related news, I got my fence set up finally, and it's mostly surrounded by punji sticks. Also, TIL that zombies in this pack can destroy doors.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

In related news, I got my fence set up finally, and it's mostly surrounded by punji sticks. Also, TIL that zombies in this pack can destroy doors.

That's a feature of vanilla minecraft -- if you set it to Hard difficulty, zombies can break wooden doors. Iron doors are safe, though.

Forever Stranded is locked to Hard difficulty. :v:

e: oh, also, if you hit the backtick key ( ` ) it'll open up your quest book, without you having to carry around the item.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

lolmer posted:

Careful what you ask for. If you jokingly submit a pull request that is this ridiculous, the mod author might just say, "Fine. Sure. People keep asking, so they'll get it." and accept the pull request. Just for fun, use an item that has no default EMC value for EE3/Project E, or submit a pull request to those mods to blacklist snad.

Voila, you've now ruined a fun mod for everyone else. :)

Is there an item ID for the player's head?

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there an item ID for the player's head?

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Mob_head was the best I found, not sure if that helps. ;)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

got immersive engineering set up in Age of... Engineering, i am currently loving about in the Ender age

what exactly am i meant to do to get large amounts of EU at this stage? i need to run a thermal centrifuge a lot. also how do i get to the end?? do i need to do it the vanilla way and find a stronghold?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

dude

apparently there is red snad :pwn:

will the wonders of snad never cease

well yeah if im in an area with red sand i dont wanna use regular textured snad like a scrublord

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Canola oil in a semifluid generator? They really seem to want to push you toward a nuclear reactor of some kind but IC2 nuclear just seems like such a hassle.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

probably needs about six hundred iridium plates to make

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

got immersive engineering set up in Age of... Engineering, i am currently loving about in the Ender age

what exactly am i meant to do to get large amounts of EU at this stage? i need to run a thermal centrifuge a lot. also how do i get to the end?? do i need to do it the vanilla way and find a stronghold?

nuclear reactor is basically the only option, fortunately the recipes are basically unchanged except for the single advanced circuit you need for the reactor itself

and yeah you need to go to the end the vanilla way, by finding a stronghold

make sure to make a full suit of dark steel armor, and fit it with a glider, as glider + slimesling is the only way you're going to be able to get around in the end

also while you're there, locate an elytra so you can make a real jetpack

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

oh and if you loot the end city of end rods you can basically get yourself as many as you'll ever need and not have to gently caress around with chorus fruit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

I made a carbon windmill and a very tall tower.