Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I'd imagine they aren't launching on PC in Japan because they don't want to take focus away from Frontier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The PC version not getting a box release in Japan isn't surprising, but that doesn't mean the game won't be available. Anyone in Japan who wants to play on PC can just buy MHW on Steam or whatever digital retailer. Is Capcom going to go out of their way to block Japanese IPs from connecting to the PC servers?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Ojetor posted:

Anyone in Japan who wants to play on PC can just buy MHW on Steam or whatever digital retailer.

Not as easy as it sounds due to how Japanese credit cards (don't) work
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-japan-learned-to-love-pc-gaming-again/2/

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

occamsnailfile posted:

They tried doing cross-platform play with the 360 Shadowrun game and PC as well and the PC players basically ate the console people with their much greater freedom of vision. With other types of games it could work though, just the large corporate giants involved don't want to play nice with each other because they each think they can steal the others' players.

Also PC gaming is a thing in Japan, it's just much more geared towards MMOs these days. That and weird doujin games you wouldn't want to let the neighbors see.

That tends to happen a lot with competitive games when PC and console players mingle, but it shouldn't matter for a game like MonHun. In MonHun, you're working with other players, not against them. Having a better field of view or whatever might make PC players more desirable to team up with, I guess, but I don't see it making that much of a difference.

Using a bowgun would probably be a lot easier with KB&M controls? I've never tried bowgun myself. But again, so some players would have an easier time than others. So what? Everyone works together.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I am guessing having MHW on PS4 only for Japan might drive up some sales for PS4. Dragon Quest and Mon Hun are coming out on ps4 which are basically two of the biggest series in Japan if you don't count handheld stuff like YokaiWatch.

E: Also League of Legends is doing pretty well in Japan. They have their own league and server as of last year.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

That tends to happen a lot with competitive games when PC and console players mingle, but it shouldn't matter for a game like MonHun. In MonHun, you're working with other players, not against them. Having a better field of view or whatever might make PC players more desirable to team up with, I guess, but I don't see it making that much of a difference.

Using a bowgun would probably be a lot easier with KB&M controls? I've never tried bowgun myself. But again, so some players would have an easier time than others. So what? Everyone works together.

The thought of having proper mouse-aim with a bowgun makes me shiver with delight. But yes, I agree, MonHun should be perfectly practical from a gameplay standpoint to let players mingle. It's just that the various platform entities are really protective of their little herds and don't want to share with the others. There're a lot of games that shouldn't really make any difference in platform like racing games and fighting games, but they're still not allowed to work together. SF V is a big exception in this regard, though that release has other issues I am told. I'm sure it makes sense for some kind of corporate branding reason but I don't see how keeping playerbases needlessly fractured is ultimately productive. It just shortens the life of the game overall.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Re: mh4u
I started playing it again since I had time to kill on a 10 hour drive recently. Having recently finished generations I'd definitely say 4u is the better game. The story is fun, saving the ace hunters in the everwood was something I completely forgot about and was one of the coolest sequences imo. On top of that it seems to me that it performs better on the 3ds, but that could just be me. They're both great but 4U was my first Monster Hunter so it's got a special place in my heart.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

4u tried for 60 fps while gen is locked at 30 yeah

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

TBH, after playing the last two games on an Old 3DS XL, I'd be happy with just a stable 30.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

lets hang out posted:

4u tried for 60 fps while gen is locked at 30 yeah

Yeah, I was noticing how much better 4u looked than Gen when I picked it back up again recently. That would explain it, especially since I'm using New 3DS.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bremma posted:

Yeah, I was noticing how much better 4u looked than Gen when I picked it back up again recently. That would explain it, especially since I'm using New 3DS.

Oh yeah, that's true. Even if it rarely actually gets all the way up to 60 it still feels a lot smoother when doing non-fighting things.

Maybe I have S P E C I A L E Y E S but 30 fps always feels choppy and weird to me (and not in a "pc master race :smugbert:" way) unless it's on a TV on the other side of the room.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Your Computer posted:

Maybe I have S P E C I A L E Y E S but 30 fps always feels choppy and weird to me (and not in a "pc master race :smugbert:" way) unless it's on a TV on the other side of the room.

I had no issues playing BOTW which is locked at 30fps but having any of my PC games drop that low makes it miserable. I guess when you're playing a game that's stuck at 30 you don't mind it, but when you get spoiled with 60 and it goes down to 30 that suuuucks.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Hello I spent a lot of time playing MH Frontier on PC a few years ago and 30fps on PC will be good

or at least it will be ignore-able while you're farming that 50th Plate

Given Capcom's track record recently, I don't expect them to try to pursue a separate performance target for PC/XB1X. I'm not sure, but I recall certain issues with Japanese players not liking it when a Western version of a game is enhanced over the original, especially on a platform that is essentially inaccessible to them

But they could always surprise us by showing gameplay footage from these platforms!

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 26, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Either way there's probably going to be some .ini file you can gently caress with to uncap the FPS on PC so it probably doesn't matter.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

s.i.r.e. posted:

Either way there's probably going to be some .ini file you can gently caress with to uncap the FPS on PC so it probably doesn't matter.

Knowing how often companies tie poo poo to the FPS this is usually a really bad idea.

See: Dark Souls where if you uncap your FPS you start falling through the ground and also your weapon durability decays more than twice as fast as its supposed to.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

The reason PC ports often have a locked framerate is because the framerate is tied to the physics engine, so this is very rarely an option.

e: or even worse, everything is tied to the framerate. For instance, I bought FFIX in the recent sale and it's locked as low as 15 fps in certain areas but you can't "unlock" it without speeding the game up massively.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Japanese players not liking it when a Western version of a game is enhanced over the original, especially on a platform that is essentially inaccessible to them

Oh, boo hoo. loving drink it, Japan. MHW is going to be the first Monhun that we get sooner than "between 6 months and never" after it releases over there.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:suicide:

gently caress me, why are devs still tying poo poo to frame rates?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

s.i.r.e. posted:

:suicide:

gently caress me, why are devs still tying poo poo to frame rates?

Because in a physics engine its one of the best ways to determine things like collision?

gently caress, check out a GDQ some time. If you uncap the framerate in basically any game you start doing things like clip through walls once it gets high enough.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Since MH4U has an unlocked framerate, I don't see why there would be a big issue with MHW unlocking (at least up to 60) FPS on PC. There're problems with physics and whatever, sure, but that's something they already confronted - and it didn't seem to provoke any strange behavior.

The only other reason to cap framerates is network sync, and again, that doesn't seem an issue, because MH networking has always been super jank, and looking at some of the gameplay demonstrations where other players happened to get launched, it didn't really look any less jank.

While this IS Capcom we're talking about, and it is a new engine, the designers already have experience with all the potential issues. I think it would be OK to expect 60hz on PC MHW.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Zore posted:

Because in a physics engine its one of the best ways to determine things like collision?

gently caress, check out a GDQ some time. If you uncap the framerate in basically any game you start doing things like clip through walls once it gets high enough.

Not if physics aren't actually tied to the framerate. :ssh:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kiggles posted:

Since MH4U has an unlocked framerate, I don't see why there would be a big issue with MHW unlocking (at least up to 60) FPS on PC. There're problems with physics and whatever, sure, but that's something they already confronted - and it didn't seem to provoke any strange behavior.

The only other reason to cap framerates is network sync, and again, that doesn't seem an issue, because MH networking has always been super jank, and looking at some of the gameplay demonstrations where other players happened to get launched, it didn't really look any less jank.

While this IS Capcom we're talking about, and it is a new engine, the designers already have experience with all the potential issues. I think it would be OK to expect 60hz on PC MHW.

Is it a new engine? I could've swore I read that they were still using MT Framework.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

:yeah:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Owns. I wonder how mad the people are who hated hunter styles + arts.

e: also where is the footage from? Comicon?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Owns. I wonder how mad the people are who hated hunter styles + arts.

e: also where is the footage from? Comicon?

I saw something about 14 weapon specific videos dropping at some point. Maybe this is the first?

:edit:

A quick check of R Monster Hunter reveals that ALL 14 have dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CapcomChannel/videos/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqukx4QwGk0
Sword n Board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c40LPWvzoCk
Long Sword

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F78hTRdPSiE
Dual Blades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzh-5dPBCk
Great Sword

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZOlBc69e0E
Hammertime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6b1M-YYlUY
TOOT TOOT MOTHERFUCKERS! HUNTING HORN COMING THROUGH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJat9r_aEs8
Gunlance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdobr2s4fr4
Regularlance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJc1qBUJEE4
Notalance Insect Glaive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqDPtaMMui4
Switch Axe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRh64v2I2yw
Charge Blade or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxuJdMM8u1o
HEAVY Gunner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkiPXvwSbW0
Bow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F250aleK8Qk
And last but not least the Light Bowgun with realistic rapid fire action!

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 27, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

can't wait for the glitch that lets you use this to get out of bounds/into space

7c Nickel posted:

I saw something about 14 weapon specific videos dropping at some point. Maybe this is the first?

:edit:

A quick check of R Monster Hunter reveals that ALL 14 have dropped.

oh heck yeah :sax:

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Everything looks so smooth and fun, gonna be a hard time deciding what to play. Just kidding its charge blade all day every day.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Just went through all of em and I noticed that it looks like sliding is a new mechanic in general and my LBG gets mine laying ammo. nice.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I still need to see some footage of H D 6 0 F P S cattes but otherwise I'm totally sold on this game now

e:

christ, that hammer move

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 27, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

someone give these monsters a bath they're filthy

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Everything I could have ever wanted from current gen MH. Ah....it's raining...

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
HBG with more ammo and modes, Switch Axe unchanged, yes please

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
So IG gets airdashes now? Not exactly what I was expecting.

Also keeps literally the only part of Aerial anyone cared about, the spinning jump. Hell yeah.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 27, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Well it seems there are SOME things that I'm disappointed are returning. The front shot of the male armor I took from the long english demo.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Love how in all these vids they're doing sick flips and flashy new moves. Then there's Lance and it's still the old poke poke poke hop. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

But man a lot of these weapons are stylish as hell. Loving how the hunter is sliding around with weapons like charge blade, LBG, and Bow.

As for Insect Glaive, was wondering how they were going to spice that up considering most weapons have some sort of aerial move now and being able to parkour off trees and poo poo. And yeah...that's one way to do it.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The weapon videos really highlight the fact that the all the sound in game has been reworked. The Gunlance sounds so good now!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

gently caress yeah. Switch axe still has an ultimate attack. And dual blades looks so drat fun for a secondary.

Take my money.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy crap the glaive looks even better than ever. I love it.

I'm even more hyped for this game than I was before. Jeez, this looks so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Those videos got me so hyyyyype. The heavy gun looks fuckin badass.

• Locked thread