Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

RVProfootballer posted:

how much smaller you could make the physical size of the phone by shrinking that bottom bezel

There was a long rear end time where you had on-screen nav buttons and yet big bezels (from their introduction until 2017 basically), which really made little sense. Now tho, I completely agree, on-screen nav buttons with tiny bezels are a great thing as it allows more of the device's size to go towards something useful, the screen, rather than something pointless, the bezels.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My Moto G3 was complete crap at bluetooth. Android, historically, has not been fantastic at bluetooth. (No issues on the G5+ yet, crossing my fingers.)

And frankly, it's nice to have a reliable way to get the podcasts out of your phone if you forget to charge up your headphones.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Mu Zeta posted:

The Chrome blocker only blocks stuff Google doesn't like. There will definitely still be ads.
To be fair, it will block ads that don't follow the Better Ads Standards . So the ads they do block may end up including ads they themselves serve (via AdWord). It's not some hand-wavy "ads Google doesn't like", which could be seen as anti competitive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

I wish they'd bring back the gesture area like on the Pre. Swipe up is still the future!

There are swipe up actions on the action bar now, so with the loss of lower bezel bringing that down to the bottom of the phone, it's kinda come back.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

MikeJF posted:

There are swipe up actions on the action bar now, so with the loss of lower bezel bringing that down to the bottom of the phone, it's kinda come back.

Yeah, but it's not the same. WebOS was a joy to use. Swiping up on the screen isn't the same. If you ever used it, you know what I'm talking about.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Taffer posted:

I mean, do you not remember how terrible every iteration of Samsung navigation buttons was? They could never make up their mind on how they should look or behave and they were all annoying to use.
I've had the same Galaxy S5 years, and I've had no issues with how the buttons work.
Before that I had an HTC Wildfire, which also had physical buttons. I guess that's just what I'm used to.

RVProfootballer posted:

Look how much easier this phone would be to use if the navigation buttons were at the bottom of the screen, not the bottom of the bezel, how much smaller you could make the physical size of the phone by shrinking that bottom bezel, and how you wouldn't actually lose any usable screen space because when you're watching a movie or want to use immersive mode, the display would be just as content-filled:

The way I hold the phone, corner in the middle of the palm, bottom supported by the pinky, it would make no difference what so ever to me.
Besides, most phones with the on-screen buttons I've seen tend to have a much smaller bottom bezel, so the upper limit of the on-screen buttons are virtually in the same place relative to the bottom of the phone as if it had physical buttons anyway.

I mean, from what's on the market it's obvious that I'm in the minority for wanting physical buttons, but I'm going to stick with phones that have them as long as possible.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Groetgaffel posted:

Besides, most phones with the on-screen buttons I've seen tend to have a much smaller bottom bezel, so the upper limit of the on-screen buttons are virtually in the same place relative to the bottom of the phone as if it had physical buttons anyway.

Yes, but now you can use that for screen in full-screen apps as well as having dynamic buttons like the keyboard switcher.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The one thing I dislike about the G5 Plus is size, and it's not even that big compared to many others. It might sound weird that I was surprised, but I thought that 5.2" didn't seem too big. I think it's massive, too big to easily one-hand and fit in all my pockets. I've only had Sony compacts etc before, nothing above 5". One indication that Steve Jobs might've had a point when he refused to make a big iPhone is that there's a gesture to reduce screen size for one handed use:

Maybe just reduce the phone size instead? The resolution is good enough to read small text, if you want a bigger picture just hold it closer to your face. Now, I know I'm probably in a small minority here, but I'm hoping this screen acreage race has died down a bit by the time I'm ready to replace the G5+. In the mean time I will have to learn to cope. Sigh, 1st world living isn't as easy as they claim.

How big are your phones and do you think it could be bigger or should be smaller?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

I use Assistant multiple times a day. I set timers and alarms. I open my garage door. I ask it general questions. I turn off the TV. I have shortcuts set up so I can say "hey google, tea timer" and it sets a timer of the length I want. I navigate to places. I ask how far away something is. Etc.

It is easily 95% accurate at recognizing my voice.

(ok, that is a lie because it has actually become worse on my phone over the past month or two, but I'm thinking thats my phone being stupid and not Assistant itself not getting worse at voice recognition)

I used to use Google Now all the time to send hangouts messages to my wife or a few other people. Google Assistant seems like it has been a much less consistent experience and less convenient when it does work. I used to be able to say "Send a hangouts message to Olivia I am on my way home" and it would just send the message.

Now, at best, it will wait for me click the send button on screen before it will send it. At worst, it will pretend like it doesn't know who Olivia is or just ignore my message all together.

I can get it to work reliably by doing the following:

OK Google

*boop*

Send a hangouts message

*OK who would you like to send it to*

Olivia

*Whats the message?*

I am on my way home.

*OK got it. Would you like to send or cancel this message?"

Send

and then it goes through.

What the hell google? This used to be simple, quick, and reliable. But par for the course, they have taken something that worked well and made it cumbersome.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 26, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Lowen SoDium posted:

I used to use Google Now all the time to send hangouts messages to my wife or a few other people.

Google Assistant seems like it has been a much less consistent experience and less convenient when it does work.

I used to be able to say "Send a hangouts message to Olivia I am on my way home" and it would just send the message.

Now, at best, it will wait for me click the send button on screen before it will send it. At worst, it will pretend like it doesn't know who Olivia is or just ignore my message all together.

I can get it to work reliablely by doing the following:

OK Google

*boop*

Send a hangouts message

*OK who would you like to send it to*

Olivia

*Whats the message?*

I am on my way home.

*OK got it. Would you like to send or cancel this message?"

Send

and then it goes through.

What the hell google? This used to be simple, quick, and reliable. But par for the course, they have taken something that worked well and made it cumbersome.

That's how it worked (for me) prior to Assistant.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ola posted:

The one thing I dislike about the G5 Plus is size, and it's not even that big compared to many others. It might sound weird that I was surprised, but I thought that 5.2" didn't seem too big. I think it's massive, too big to easily one-hand and fit in all my pockets. I've only had Sony compacts etc before, nothing above 5". One indication that Steve Jobs might've had a point when he refused to make a big iPhone is that there's a gesture to reduce screen size for one handed use:

Maybe just reduce the phone size instead? The resolution is good enough to read small text, if you want a bigger picture just hold it closer to your face. Now, I know I'm probably in a small minority here, but I'm hoping this screen acreage race has died down a bit by the time I'm ready to replace the G5+. In the mean time I will have to learn to cope. Sigh, 1st world living isn't as easy as they claim.

How big are your phones and do you think it could be bigger or should be smaller?

It's big because it's a budget phone and the bezels are huge on the G5 Plus.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lowen SoDium posted:

Interesting, I've had the exact opposite experience. With Assistant its become a much more flowing experience. Don't even need to wait for the *boop*, just keep talking.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What is the easiest way to find a previously saved wifi password on a non rooted android?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

It's big because it's a budget phone and the bezels are huge on the G5 Plus.

Do you get less bezel for more money? Measuring side to side, they're about the same as the new iPhone 7. :shrug:

I do whine a lot in this thread though. For balance, some things I love about the G5+:

- Twist gesture for camera.
- Chop gesture for flashlight
- You can select which specific gesture to de-/activate
- Magically appearing lock screen clock when you pick it up
- Very little bloatware
- Fingerprint sensor reads my thumb correctly >99% of time, other fingers are denied 100% of the times I've tried, quickly defaults to PIN, so I feel it's safe to use.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

iPhones are different but the rumor is they will remove the bezels in the next one. In general, yes you pay more for less bezel. Lenovo also likes their fat bezels but they have the gesture stuff on the fingerprint button.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, but now you can use that for screen in full-screen apps as well as having dynamic buttons like the keyboard switcher.
Counterpoints;
Larger bezels, as they are when they house buttons, makes it easier to grab and move the phone with something in fullscreen without touching the screen.

This might just be a consequence of how I hold my phone, but I find that I sometimes accidentally touch the bottom right corner of the screen when reaching across the screen with the thumb when there's a minimal bottom bezel.

A physical home button is the most logical place for a thumb print scanner.

Ola posted:

142 x 72.5 x 8.1 mm (5.59 x 2.85 x 0.32 in)
Got a 5.1" 1080p screen.
It's pretty much on the upper limit of comfortable for me. Wouldn't mind if the screen was a bit smaller, provided it had at least the same resolution.

I briefly used a Cat S50 through work, it was about a centimeter bigger in every direction, and a pain to use.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Groetgaffel posted:

Counterpoints;
Larger bezels, as they are when they house buttons, makes it easier to grab and move the phone with something in fullscreen without touching the screen.

It's all about making compromises, there's not a solution that will solve all potential issues.

Groetgaffel posted:

A physical home button is the most logical place for a thumb print scanner.

On the other hand, it's the among the worst places for a print scanner. When I pick up my phone, my index finger falls naturally into the middle of the back of the phone. No finger falls naturally into the middle of the bottom bezel.

There's use cases where middle of the back of the phone is a bad place...like when your phone is resting on your desk. Again, it's all about making the best compromises.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

There's use cases where middle of the back of the phone is a bad place...like when your phone is resting on your desk. Again, it's all about making the best compromises.
Or if you ever want to use some form of case for the phone.

But yeah, you're absolutely right, it's about comprises, and for me physical buttons get the better end of the equation. And, as i said earlier, I'm very much aware that I'm in the minority here.
I just don't like how the on-screen buttons feel. I want the menu/navigation buttons, whatever you want to call them, to feel different from tapping something on the screen.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Groetgaffel posted:

Counterpoints;

Counterpoints: use a good phone made recently, like a Google Pixel, and you'll see you're mistaken about a few things!

Groetgaffel posted:

I just don't like how the on-screen buttons feel. I want the menu/navigation buttons, whatever you want to call them, to feel different from tapping something on the screen.

You probably just like what you're used to and would be totally fine changing it up if you tried it for awhile.

There actually is one inarguable downside to on screen buttons (even if you don't think it's a big deal), and that's uneven wear on the display causing burn in in the nav bar.

Groetgaffel posted:

Or if you ever want to use some form of case for the phone.

Missed this...what? You know cases have cut outs? A case makes the Pixel fingerprint sensor even better, by giving it an even easier to feel boundary.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 26, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

Interesting, I've had the exact opposite experience. With Assistant its become a much more flowing experience. Don't even need to wait for the *boop*, just keep talking.

I absolutely cannot just keep talking on my Pixel XL, much to my annoyance

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

Counterpoints: use a good phone made recently, like a Google Pixel, and you'll see you're mistaken about a few things!

You probably just like what you're used to and would be totally fine changing it up if you tried it for awhile.

There actually is one inarguable downside to on screen buttons (even if you don't think it's a big deal), and that's uneven wear on the display causing burn in in the nav bar.

Missed this...what? You know cases have cut outs? A case makes the Pixel fingerprint sensor even better, by giving it an even easier to feel boundary.
I'm already going to have to get used to the back button not being on the wrong side of the home button by going from Samsung to anything else, one thing at a time. :v:

As I mentioned above, I had work phone with on-screen buttons for a while and used that in parallel with my own. Physical buttons just feel better to me. But of course I could get used to not having them if I wanted, and by the look of things, I probably will sometime in the future.

Admittedly, I don't use a case myself so I've not really kept up with the selection on offer. Regardless, I was thinking primarily of the wallet cases that everyone around me seem to have. Those don't have cut outs, do they?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ola posted:

Do you get less bezel for more money? Measuring side to side, they're about the same as the new iPhone 7. :shrug:

Pay more or maybe look at the iPhone SE.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

PerrineClostermann posted:

I absolutely cannot just keep talking on my Pixel XL, much to my annoyance

Are you possibly waiting to hear the audio cue first? I also thought for a long time mine wouldn't send if I just kept talking (also Pixel XL), but it turns out you don't actually need to hear the little "ding" of it recognizing "okay Google". I just tried two different commands running all the words together without pause and it worked surprisingly well ("okay Google what is the capitol of France" and "okay Google text wife this is a test"). Both were just from within the Awful app without touching anything on screen.

Granted in the case of the text message it asked me then if I'd like to send it. Sorry if skipping that step is what you had meant.

(comedy follow up: Assistant still can't send Allo messages via voice command)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

Admittedly, I don't use a case myself so I've not really kept up with the selection on offer. Regardless, I was thinking primarily of the wallet cases that everyone around me seem to have. Those don't have cut outs, do they?

Sure they do. Otherwise you couldn't even use the back camera. And yes, obviously there's a hole for any fingerprint sensor too.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

incogneato posted:

Are you possibly waiting to hear the audio cue first? I also thought for a long time mine wouldn't send if I just kept talking (also Pixel XL), but it turns out you don't actually need to hear the little "ding" of it recognizing "okay Google". I just tried two different commands running all the words together without pause and it worked surprisingly well ("okay Google what is the capitol of France" and "okay Google text wife this is a test"). Both were just from within the Awful app without touching anything on screen.

Granted in the case of the text message it asked me then if I'd like to send it. Sorry if skipping that step is what you had meant.

(comedy follow up: Assistant still can't send Allo messages via voice command)

....I swear to god it wasn't working like this when I got it. What the hell.

That said, "Okay Google" detection is still iffy. Any magic help with that, too? It'd be a lot nicer if it was consistent.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

Pay more or maybe look at the iPhone SE.

To get what, less bezels? I didn't ask for that, nor do I mind them. But I'd like my next phone to be a 4.5"-4.8", 1920x1080 midspec weather sealed Android. I did look at the Galaxy A3, but passed due to poor price/performance and the manufacturer being Samsung.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

That said, "Okay Google" detection is still iffy. Any magic help with that, too? It'd be a lot nicer if it was consistent.

Sorry, no help there. I have noticed it's spotty when trying to wake from an off screen. Honestly I don't use voice commands much, and when I do I just hold down the home button half the time. Most of my voice commands are setting reminders, alarms, and navigation, with the occasional random search.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I use voice search every time i need to know how tall Tom Cruise is.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Get yourself into a quiet place, then go into Google Now Settings, then Voice. Hit "Retrain Voice Model" and go through the steps. Sometimes background drone noise like air conditioning or wind will mess with the training but not enough to have it fail.

Alternatively, try putting different inflections on each time you say "okay google" in the training. Like nothing weird, but try going with one "Okay Google!" one "Okay, Google." and one "Okay Google..." or something. Like just say it like you'd be following it with different poo poo. The idea is to have it build a somewhat broad model of your voice for cue recognition as opposed to something like an 80s movie style voiceprint where you want something narrowly defined. If you have a background hum built into the modeling, it might not recognize you without the hum.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zVgWpVXb64&t=36s

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Ola posted:

I have the smaller Pixel with the 5" screen and it's way too big. The Pixel got more usable after I put a sticky silicone case on it (the first phone I've had that needs a case), but I still have to shift it around awkwardly to hit the top edge. I think 4.5" is ideal, 4.7 is the max. But no one makes high end, stock-ish Android phones in those sizes, so we're stuck with 5+" monsters.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

One of my favorite movies ever.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I've been a nexus fan since the galaxy nexus, and currently have a pixel XL... but qi and waterproof are drawing me towards grabbing a galaxy S 8.... just how badly would I be Samsung'd if I do that?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

ilkhan posted:

I've been a nexus fan since the galaxy nexus, and currently have a pixel XL... but qi and waterproof are drawing me towards grabbing a galaxy S 8.... just how badly would I be Samsung'd if I do that?

If you like the idea of a phone with great specs that's hobbled by poo poo software why don't you just buy a One Plus 5,

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Point is, the audio files you're playing back are already compressed, so when transporting them over BT, I don't want to compress them again. Losses add up. So long my hearing is still good enough to notice ringing artifacts and poo poo, while I'm not bombarded by outside noise, I'd like not to hear them if possible. SBC is a total shitshow, and apt-X isn't supported on Android apparently. LDAC is an option because they waved the royalty fees for the Android implementation, so Google made it part of the OS. Sure, BT5 has good enough bandwidth to support uncompressed, but there's no headphones for that yet, either (that is, if the Pixel XL 2 will even do BT5).

My Z3 compact used apt-x, so does my op5. :confused:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I have both. Don't. Wait for the Pixel XL 2, trust me.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Have any of you nerds taken the dive on a Keyone yet? I'm two weeks into using one and once you disable the hub, it is seriously as smooth as my pixel xl in daily usage and five minutes in lightroom results in some loving solid solid shots. The battery also cannot die under any circumstance.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nerdrum posted:

Have any of you nerds taken the dive on a Keyone yet? I'm two weeks into using one and once you disable the hub, it is seriously as smooth as my pixel xl in daily usage and five minutes in lightroom results in some loving solid solid shots. The battery also cannot die under any circumstance.

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress all phones

Lol it's not even loving close to the Pixel XL you are loving insane. The battery is definitely the one good thing about it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Woot just put up refurbished Pixels for $400-$450.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They raided shoogaslim's closet