Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Suicide Watch posted:

Where would the US Navy (or any US military branch really) even be without thai transexual hookers?

The finest of naval traditions. Rum, sodomy, and the lash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

CRISPR chat. As a guy who did a PhD and worked with it a bit. It's going places. The first is taking people with HIV and harvesting their bone marrow and knocking in the gene mutation to completely neutralize the HIV receptor, making it possible to eradicate the virus from their blood. That's easy and doesn't involve any embryonic messing around.

The second will be done in IVF to help people replace the deltaF508 gene mutation that causes Cystic fibrosis and allow for a normal child. Possibly even hungtintons and the thalassemias or sickle cell as well. People will take the risk and sign on the dotted line to do this even if it's not fully FDA approved because the benefits drastically outweigh the risks. This will happen in 5 years or less. These diseases will begin to dissappear (for those that can afford it). Even on that last point, some congenital diseases are so easily targettable and such a high public health burden the cost to specifically target them may drop a lot before we even know it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Priebus is my next pick for the tribal council

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
:siren: important current event!!! :siren:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/25/business/media/lyft-taco-bell.html

quote:

Taco Bell has, quite literally, found a new marketing vehicle, and its name is Lyft.

The fast-food chain is beginning a venture with the ride-sharing company this week that will allow Lyft passengers to request rides that incorporate a stop at a Taco Bell drive-through between 9 p.m. and 2 a.m.

The companies will test the option, which will appear as “Taco Mode” in the Lyft app, during the next two weeks around a Newport Beach, Calif., location, with plans to expand the program nationally next year.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Uh.... the bars close at 2am. They should expand this to 3am duh

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Best Friends posted:

The Mooch is a mystery. What beliefs he seemed to have were not particularly conservative, and he's leaving a lot of money to do this job. Either he just wants to be famous or he thinks he can make even more money on the Trump train.

D) he's retarded

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Their top priority should be bringing back the Naked Chicken Chalupa, and filling it with beef.

Jun 27, 2002

Carrion Fairy

Blind Rasputin posted:

These diseases will begin to dissappear (for those that can afford it).

this is the thing, isn't it? the future of medical technology looks loving amazing but at the same time the future of healthcare policy looks goddamn terrifying.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

CRISPR chat. As a guy who did a PhD and worked with it a bit. It's going places. The first is taking people with HIV and harvesting their bone marrow and knocking in the gene mutation to completely neutralize the HIV receptor, making it possible to eradicate the virus from their blood. That's easy and doesn't involve any embryonic messing around.

The second will be done in IVF to help people replace the deltaF508 gene mutation that causes Cystic fibrosis and allow for a normal child. Possibly even hungtintons and the thalassemias or sickle cell as well. People will take the risk and sign on the dotted line to do this even if it's not fully FDA approved because the benefits drastically outweigh the risks. This will happen in 5 years or less. These diseases will begin to dissappear (for those that can afford it). Even on that last point, some congenital diseases are so easily targettable and such a high public health burden the cost to specifically target them may drop a lot before we even know it.

More importantly, can it fix my receding hair line? Also, can it change a person so they can get as huge as a gorilla by eating nothing but bananas?
That second one I'm asking for a friend.

As far as I know, CRISPR is magic so I'm kind of curious what kinda limits there are.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I retired in 2013 so I've not served with transsexual's that were openly trans. Are there really 15,000 full blown transsexuals in uniform?

That number sounds remarkably high.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I retired in 2013 so I've not served with transsexual's that were openly trans. Are there really 15,000 full blown transsexuals in uniform?

Retired in 2015 and I was in medical. Didn't know of any.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah it's the (for those that can afford it) that is frightening. People whose parents/grandparents etc can afford CRISPR babies, who will not have the problems that normal people have. Aging? Delayed, potentially by decades. Genetic disorders? Eradicated. Smarter kids? If you've got enough money and an unscrupulous enough Columbian doctor, sure.

The thing is, if you have enough cash, you can set up your family and descendants with a massive advantage that your retarded trust fund children cannot gently caress away with financial mismanagement.

I am just taking it to dark places, I'm hoping that it doesn't turn into a system via which the rich become godlike supermen and the poor are further disenfranchised and emasculated because they will quite literally be completely unable to rise to that level.

If it is used for complely altruistic purposes, it can do amazing good for humanity, but if it is abused, it will flip the table in a way that there is no way it can be possibly corrected.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 27, 2017

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

orange juche posted:

Yeah it's the (for those that can afford it) that is frightening. People whose parents/grandparents etc can afford CRISPR babies, who will not have the problems that normal people have. Aging? Delayed, potentially by decades. Genetic disorders? Eradicated. Smarter kids? If you've got enough money and an unscrupulous enough Columbian doctor, sure.

The thing is, if you have enough cash, you can set up your family and descendants with a massive advantage that your retarded trust fund children cannot gently caress away with financial mismanagement.

I am just taking it to dark places, I'm hoping that it doesn't turn into a system via which the rich become godlike supermen and the poor are further disenfranchised and emasculated because they will quite literally be completely unable to rise to that level.

If it is used for complely altruistic purposes, it can do amazing good for humanity, but if it is abused, it will flip the table in a way that there is no way it can be possibly corrected.

Easy, just make a law that sidesteps any normal insurance bullshit and makes it available to absolutely everyone for pennies. Also none of this pussyfooting around, just go totally loving nuts with it. My kid needs wings and gills.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Trump is coming to Long Island NY to address MS13 and a recent spate of gang related killings. Traffic should be loving great on 495 Friday.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

orange juche posted:

There'll probably be a couple of generations of 'nobody knew it would result in weird new maladies and strange problems later' to work out.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kawasaki Nun posted:

result based organization like the DoD.

What DoD do you work for?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
worth it

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Run government like Taco Bell

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It is. There is a feasibility study by RAND on the integration of Transgendered personnel in the military. The actual number ranges from 1320 to 6630 for active and 830 to 4160 for select reserves. So even if we take the .5% of the population as gospel, which I doubt given Military demographics don't line up with national demographics otherwise, we would only have 10790 personnel across all Service members. http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR1530.html the demographics are listed on page 67.

As for lovely opinions on the matter, my only concern is the readiness aspect. I don't personally have a dog in the fight, so if the transgendered person can do the job then I see no issue. However, I work in a job where It's been 6 on 6 off for the 13 years. My MOS, and unit specifically, breaks dwell all the time just to get people out the door. If I'm losing a Soldier for 18 months for transition, and not able to send them to specific locations due to medical treatments not being available, then the mission is being hindered. Obviously there are other jobs and MOS that it wouldn't be an issue, but there isn't a limit on where they could serve as it stands, which is my one issue with it.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Spicy must be laughing his rear end off at The Mooch right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

As for lovely opinions on the matter, my only concern is the readiness aspect. I don't personally have a dog in the fight, so if the transgendered person can do the job then I see no issue. However, I work in a job where It's been 6 on 6 off for the 13 years. My MOS, and unit specifically, breaks dwell all the time just to get people out the door. If I'm losing a Soldier for 18 months for transition, and not able to send them to specific locations due to medical treatments not being available, then the mission is being hindered. Obviously there are other jobs and MOS that it wouldn't be an issue, but there isn't a limit on where they could serve as it stands, which is my one issue with it.

Its okay, we lose soldiers all the time for lengths of time like that due to the sheer medical maladies the DoD places them in. I sincerely doubt the Trans soldiers are any worse medically than any other soldier.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/AP/status/890531603734245377

This administration is weird

Edit: lol

https://twitter.com/MarkAgee/status/890272120575451136

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
what business does the AG have dealing with gang violence in a different country? is that normal?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TBeats posted:

what business does the AG have dealing with gang violence in a different country? is that normal?

If you're a lovely old plantation gnome who thinks the ills of your country stem almost entirely from a horde of hardened criminals rushing in over the border, then plenty.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

I sincerely doubt the Trans soldiers are any worse medically than any other soldier.

They are worse medically, in a way. Transitioning is a voluntary procedure that has huge effects on the entire body due to hormonal changes/suppression. It's different than getting injured through training, combat injury, or medical malpractice: Nothing forces someone to transition beyond their own brain.

I'm fine with making a high barrier to servicemembers transitioning because the process is fairly irreversable, it's not a quick process by any means, and it's a burden on both the unit and the medical system to ensure that everything is going okay. I think Obama's plan to require at least two years of preparation was as good as it probably could be because it forces a deliberate decision on something dramatically life-changing. If you're willing to endure at least two years of the military making GBS threads all over your identity, your unit trying to talk you out of it, and putting your gender identity in the hands of the fabled DoD medical system, it's probably a decision you're willing to live with for the rest of your life. If you're a dude trying to use the womens' PT scale so that you can score as high as possible to get promoted, gently caress off.

I'm in full support of transgendered people being able to serve and for people to get treatment for gender dysphoria if they need it, but the process needs to be arduous to make sure it's not being taken lightly.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Lol if you think any of this genetic fuckery will benefit anybody from the south side of Chicago or cousinfucker holler Kentucky.

Gonna be funny when the 1% are literally superhuman instead of just practically.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

O hey some positive news!

One of the Bundy lovers got 68 years for his role in the 2014 standoff against BLM.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Finally they get someone. Just hope they can nail the ring leaders this hard.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Well there's Silicon Valley's first trillion dollar idea.

Also, I'm going out of town for the next few days, who wants to bet that Trump shitcans Sessions before I get back?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Thelonious posted:

Lol if you think any of this genetic fuckery will benefit anybody from the south side of Chicago or cousinfucker holler Kentucky.

Gonna be funny when the 1% are literally superhuman instead of just practically.

poo poo is going to get really cheap really fast once the people in charge notice practically everyone in europe is getting it for free or close to. Can't risk getting turbofucked by the übermensch globally. Same goes for everywhere else where it's feasible. Most of africa loses again I guess but that's not really changing anything compared to how it is now.

Like this isn't at all comparable to some medical crap. Getting left behind in the genome race is going to just destroy your country if others are pushing it bigtime. Can't risk not pushing it out to everyone.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 27, 2017

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Casimir Radon posted:

Greenwald spends an inordinate amount of time going after critics of both Trump and Putin pretending to be the voice of reason. In reality the post 9/11 world broke his brain and turned him into a stupid conspiracy theorist shitbag.

Um, before 2005 he was a lawyer privileged enough to be gay and apolitical.

He wrote about himself:

quote:

I had not abandoned my trust in the Bush administration. Between the president's performance in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, the swift removal of the Taliban in Afghanistan, and the fact that I wanted the president to succeed, because my loyalty is to my country and he was the leader of my country, I still gave the administration the benefit of the doubt. I believed then that the president was entitled to have his national security judgment deferred to, and to the extent that I was able to develop a definitive view, I accepted his judgment that American security really would be enhanced by the invasion of this sovereign country.

And then, because of his career as a professional scold of the Insufficiently Leftist, he later denied it:

quote:

When the Iraq War was debated and then commenced, I was not a writer. I was not a journalist. I was not politically engaged or active. I never played any role in political debates or controversies. Unlike the countless beloved Democrats who actually did support the war - including Obama's Vice President Joe Biden and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton - I had no platform or role in politics of any kind.

I never once wrote in favor of the Iraq War or argued for it in any way, shape or form.Ask anyone who claims that I "supported" the Iraq War to point to a single instance where I ever supported or defended it in any way. There is no such instance. It's a pure fabrication.

The man actually thinks "I didn't have any political opinion beyond 'sure I guess George W Bush knows what he's doing' " is some sort of superior position.

And then he proceeded to engage in the sort of reflexive anti-Americanism that liberals often get accused of.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

If you haven't watched PBS Frontline's documentary about the Bundy Ranch and Malheur occupations, you can watch it right here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/american-patriot-inside-the-armed-uprising-against-the-federal-government/

Goes into a lot of background that was previously unknown and is worth the watch; sadly, no scenes of Ryan Bundy's freak out over dildos being sent to Malheur or Tarp Ghost (RIP in peace) giving interviews.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That's some serious star trek poo poo. But even the loving Federation banned genetic modification.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Casimir Radon posted:

Greenwald has crawled so far up Trump's rear end it isn't funny anymore. I hope he dies up there.
This. Back in the early Bush era I had some measure of respect and even admiration for him as there was (and still is) a lot of truth in his attacks on the incestuous relationship between politics and the news media leading to insufficiently critical reporting on American adventures abroad and a dearth of serious discussion about economic inequality. At some point over the last ten years, however, his slightly-unhinged shtick started to degenerate from 'speaking truth to power' to 'America is the most evil state on the face of the planet and thus its enemies are paragons of virtue and their representative in America, the glorious Trump, must be defended at all costs'.

gently caress him.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
And Greenwald hides behind "I don't like Trump either."

It'd be like trying to take a guy seriously who constantly beats the drum of "rape is bad, but WHAT ABOUT THOSE LYING REGRET SEX SLUTS?! But rape is bad mhmm"

We all know what they're getting at.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Just to bounce off this briefly. I get it if the idea of pulling a soldier for however many months for treatment is relatively galling, though I think the Obama Administration's regulations were a decent compromise.

But I really don't see any justification for denying those who meet mental and physical standards who have already transitioned.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/Joshua_Pollack/status/890425631208505344

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Best Friends posted:

The Mooch is a mystery. What beliefs he seemed to have were not particularly conservative, and he's leaving a lot of money to do this job. Either he just wants to be famous or he thinks he can make even more money on the Trump train.

He's a mini-Trump in that other rich people still don't respect him or really like him so he'll do literally anything to gain acceptance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

This is the best video I've watched on CRISPR. It's sixteen minutes long but it does a great job breaking it down for laymen.

• Locked thread