Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

if you are in bkk and you can't find a seedy dive bar you might want to leave your infinity pool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Son of Rodney posted:

tbh it would own, I constantly borrow money from friends because I need cash and don't carry any, and while I can do online banking, using an app to do it in like 10 seconds would be great

Do you always pay a vig? Whenever I borrow cash from someone I always pay a vig and also whenever I lend cash to a friend it is a matter of principle.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Collateral Damage posted:

That won't be abused or exploited at all, no siree.

Abuse requires the Chinese state to be competent.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

ladron posted:

A slightly insane woman at one of the Korean universities I worked at would call from her cel until it timed out (after a full minute of ringing), immediately call again until that timed out, then call from the office line two or three times. all in all, like 5 minutes of constant ringing. I went off on her one time, and told her "listen, if I don't answer the loving phone it's because I'm busy. it doesn't mean keep loving calling me. Jesus" She was baffled that a constantly ringing phone in the middle of class or something would upset me.

I used to love disappearing for a couple days in China. Just turning off my phone, logging out of QQ, being unreachable.

Telling Chinese people "no" becomes the great pleasure.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

JaucheCharly posted:

Hey, didn't you know? Compassion and humanity is universal everywhere. Assuming anything else would be racism.

Foreign indigenous cultural practices you mean.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pirate Radar posted:

How about this boy band, though? Acrush.

They kind of rule tbh

They're all girls

That is loving hot

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

JaucheCharly posted:

You're still not in the composite age, aren't you?

I can hear the scramjets from where I am, it's glorious.
I don't have enough hammers! :(

I was doing well with Great Artist bombing, but STEMLord Zhang is immune to culture, halp plz.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Jeoh posted:

if you are in bkk and you can't find a seedy dive bar you might want to leave your infinity pool

Nooo i want the seediest of the seedy, not like the BRITISH PUB places that the tourists go and are full of working girls but the filthy ones full of human detritus where you’re likely to see someone get shanked

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Well you're in for a treat then.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

very clever with maracas posted:

Nooo i want the seediest of the seedy, not like the BRITISH PUB places that the tourists go and are full of working girls but the filthy ones full of human detritus where you’re likely to see someone get shanked

:same:

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

heart of darkness phnom penh cambodia

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
Last time i went to Wong's i saw wong throw his microphone at a guy for not drinking enough then the bouncers beat him up with a metal pole, good times

then a finnish girl came and sat on my lap and a gay thai guy came over and slapped her because he thought we had been hitting it off very well and got jealous, then they started yelling at each other and got kicked out as well

plumpy hole lever fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 27, 2017

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
anyway sorry for the derail, thanks Atlas

here is a picture of great chinese hero SUN YANG, he is very famous did you know?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Last time i went to Wong's i saw wong throw his microphone at a guy for not drinking enough then the bouncers beat him up with a metal pole, good times

then a finnish girl came and sat on my lap and a gay thai guy came over and slapped her because he thought we had been hitting it off very well and got jealous, then they started yelling at each other and got kicked out as well

where is this party town

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Umm.... I think you and Atlas have different definitions of "dive bar."

Wong's & T-Rex: Smokey, some crazy characters, not too expensive, open late.

QPP & Thermae: Literal dens of prostitution. Like 99% of the women you encounter there will be working girls of one type or another.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They're dens of human misery which was what was requested. They're lovely shitholes that will make you question if humanity shouldn't just be wiped off the face of the earth. And barfights can and do happen. It all makes up the tapestry of Bangkok.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

When planning an evening out in Bangkok, one should consider in advance not only whether to be the shanker or shankee, but also whether the victim/assailant is Thai, Kiwi, or Eurotrash or an Undocumented Migrant Worker. This will affect the whole course of the night from start time and business visited to number of witnesses and amount of bribe money expected.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

peanut posted:

When planning an evening out in Bangkok, one should consider in advance not only whether to be the shanker or shankee, but also whether the victim/assailant is Thai, Kiwi, or Eurotrash or an Undocumented Migrant Worker. This will affect the whole course of the night from start time and business visited to number of witnesses and amount of bribe money expected.

Best advice in the thread honestly.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
WAH, such beautiful. I want to buy.

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
looks like mini turds sailing into a giant toilet being flushed

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fojar38 posted:

i dont understand i thought that chinese elderly were all wise masters with long flowing beards

lol'd with a mouthful of coffee at this

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I wonder if designing the city to be like that has some kind of physics based repercussions where the pond in the middle becomes a massive garbage collection site moreso than the locals just dumping their crap. Galeforce wind formation etc.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

here is a picture of great chinese hero SUN YANG, he is very famous did you know?

Don't they have braces in China?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

Don't they have braces in China?

Its from the drugs

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Can't wait for all the articles lauding the new "anti-terrorism" software included with every download of Wechat in 2020.

"China is way ahead of the dumb, poopy United States. Can you believe AMERICA used to be the leaders in spying on their citizens and harassing Muslims without cause? Step aside, west, it's China's turn!"

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Kharnifex posted:

Its from the drugs

Ice-T: "Yeah, it boosts athletic performance, but permanently disfigures your teeth. Kids are calling it Smashmouth."

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Haier posted:

WAH, such beautiful. I want to buy.

How long before the green bits are brown or torn out and sold off?

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
As a city planner: this is actually terrible urban planning that makes sense to the chucklefuck drawing it on a map, but creates a very unpleasant living environment

Think about it - when you're on the ground, you will have no perceptioin that youre in the middle of a beautifully designed semi-spiral. You'll just be in between row after row of lovely, overbearing towerblocks that loom way overhead and keep the playgrounds and walkways in permanent shade.

There's going to be nothing to do inside these developments because they're 100% residential, but its gunna take you hours to walk from anywhere inside this development to the rest of the city.

And with only a few roads connecting it to the rest of the city, it's going to become pretty isolated and inward looking - this is the sort of poo poo that turns into vertical ghettoes in Paris

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
Haier could walk for 9 days and still not find his way out of that place

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
tell me more as a planner cause I see housing and green space/belts

Are you saying it needs more commerical and better road access?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

There's going to be nothing to do inside these developments because they're 100% residential, but its gunna take you hours to walk from anywhere inside this development to the rest of the city.

Actually China is pretty good in this sense, a sizeable part of those buildings will be available for commercial use, so you always have a ton of small shops, restaurants, grocery stores etc. right next door.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Darkest Auer posted:

Actually China is pretty good in this sense, a sizeable part of those buildings will be available for commercial use, so you always have a ton of small shops, restaurants, grocery stores etc. right next door.

also who are gonna follow zoning laws?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Tupperwarez posted:

Ice-T: "Yeah, it boosts athletic performance, but permanently disfigures your teeth. Kids are calling it Smashmouth."

Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Darkest Auer posted:

I used to live in one of those suburban new town type developments. It is the worst. The first floor commercial spaces are all empty because nobody lives there, and walking anywhere takes loving forever because it's built entirely for cars, not humans. It was literally a 45 minute walk to go around the block once where I lived. For a Chinese person I imagine it would take days.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Ups_rail posted:

tell me more as a planner cause I see housing and green space/belts

Are you saying it needs more commerical and better road access?

Yeah it's kind of generally accepted that high rise leads to social isolation and a lovely quality of life on the ground. And scale matters - its better to have a lot of small parks which the local community uses, than a massive open space.

If you design smart, you can generally get a similar density from 3-5 story walk ups around a common central court yard. But this means acknowledging that a big, easy, cheap tower building is not the best solution and that people like to have some kind of social interaction.

Also on the roads - for a residential neighbourhood, you should ideally have a lot of intersections and smaller scale roads. A road that has 1km intervals between intersections is going to be a horrible place to try and get around, and will very likely become just an area that people drive through - rather than having pedestrian traffic which leads to things like restaurants, shops, cafes on the corner etc etc mobile phone shops

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Grand Fromage posted:

I used to live in one of those suburban new town type developments. It is the worst. The first floor commercial spaces are all empty because nobody lives there, and walking anywhere takes loving forever because it's built entirely for cars, not humans. It was literally a 45 minute walk to go around the block once where I lived. For a Chinese person I imagine it would take days.

yeah this

Also, in a tower block lie that, shops on the ground floor don't help much because there's unlikely to be enough pedestrian traffic to support much more than a general store. Think of the most interesting urban places you've been and they're likley to be smaller streets like a lot of people walking around, which supports a much higher density of small business

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
They were built with Haier in mind otherwise he would suffer from stomach bloat

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

"just follow the track of liquid poo poo for 3 hours and ring the bell to reach my apartment" - chinese suburb haier

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jeoh posted:

"just follow the track of liquid poo poo for 3 hours and ring the bell to reach my apartment" - chinese suburb haier

You are electrocuted and seriously injured by the poorly-wired bell. The homeowner surreptitiously throws you down the waste disposal chute to save face. You are crushed in the trash compactor the following morning.
Play again? Y/N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

communism bitch posted:

You are electrocuted and seriously injured by the poorly-wired bell. The homeowner surreptitiously throws you down the waste disposal chute to save face. You are crushed in the trash compactor the following morning.
Play again? Y/N

5000 years of History in Plun'Qing: You have learned only spite.

• Locked thread