Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
I'm guessing part 1 was entirely cg, hence she's actually credited as "Experiment Model". part 8 was probably her acting with a lot of post production. I'm sure its the same character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

quadpus posted:

I'm guessing part 1 was entirely cg, hence she's actually credited as "Experiment Model". part 8 was probably her acting with a lot of post production. I'm sure its the same character

The designs actually differ a fair bit.

- The first one has deep pits for eyes and a bulbous head.

- The second has no eyes, small protrusions on the top of its head (making it look sort of like the symbol that's on Mr. C's card as well as Briggs' note and Hawk's hide map), arms that are on backwards, and large breasts.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So you're saying that sometimes her arms bend back?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Maybe one is the Doppleganger of the other.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
They probably aren't the same... thing? But I knew everyone would understand what I meant.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
there are no eyes on the first one, just one big hole in the middle of the face, exactly like the second one. They both have breasts, and you can't see enough detail to say it doesn't have the horns or backwards arms

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Also, I thought it was pretty clear that the second one IS the thing on Evil Coop's card. They look nearly exactly the same, and if that thing birthed BOB then it stands to reason that it would have significance to Evil Coop as well.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The glass box creature was already called "mother" based on dialogue in the first few episodes. Then when we see the "other" creature she is literally giving birth to Bob. Seems pretty clear that they're supposed to be the same entity.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I don't understand why people get so up in arms about what people call characters, especially in this show where sometimes you have to use the credits to find out who someone is. I don't think anyone has even used Red's name in the show, and I think Richard was only referred to by name in episode 10. Everybody knows who is being discussed when they say "Mother" or "Dougie" no need to say "Why is everyone calling Cooper Dougie?!?! I don't get it???"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

They were discussing whether it was the same character.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the point is that this creature, if it IS the same thing, is credited under two different names in eps 1 and 8.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The box one kinda looks like a male version of the vomiting one

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Oh, I could buy that. The one with breasts creating while the first one destroys, that ckukd be a thing.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Speaking of cast and such, I was looking into the actor who plays Bushnell Mullins, and the guy is 87 years old and seemingly last acted in 2001. Interesting casting choice, I wonder if he has some connection to Frost or Lynch and the part was written with him in mind.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
maybe they are both and the reason the glass box one has a hole in its face is because of it spewing forth bob and i assume the rest of the black lodge spirits.

speaking of, is bob still with evilcoop? when i watched part 8 it was too dark on my screen to tell if the woodsmen took the orb out and ran off with it, considering the guy who told evilcoop/bob he was going back in tomorrow in the earlier episodes sounded like the gotta light? woodsman i'm wondering if they are not actually helping bob/evilcoop?

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 27, 2017

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Elias_Maluco posted:

When Showtime uploaded episode 1 to youtube they put censor bars over some stuff, including the chest of the box creature — it's not definitive proof but it seems like the box one was female as well.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Elias_Maluco posted:

I see what you're saying, the one from the box is a bit... meatier, more lumpy, gritty, raw. It's hard to explain but there's something a bit more visceral about that version of it. That being said it's definitely a woman, that much was clear from the moment it was shown (and over-analyzed in screencaps in the days after).

I think it's pretty clear from the show that they're supposed to be the same entity.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's really no way to know for sure right now either way. Personally I think it might be similar to how every drat gunshot special effect in this show has looked different from the last. Some of them look great (the effects in the diner in this past episode), some of them look weird (Booper shooting Bill's wife), some of them look horrible (Ray's MS Paint double tap on Booper). But what they have in common is that they all look totally different.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
so have people settled on the idea that the nuke test created bob and the other lodge spirits? becaise that would be a pretty big retcon to the original series where the lodges were a longstanding local oral tradition, with specific local attributes to twin peaks like vlastonvury grove.

maybe the atom bomb scene was some kind of rebirth for bob as a creature apart from time. it happened in the sequence of the show right after mr. c was shot and the implication was that bob left him at that point. maybe bob needed to be brought back to that point of tremendous energy by the woodsmen in order to have enougn strength to continue existing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don't think the nuke created them, I think it freed them

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't think the nuke created them, I think it freed them

interesting idea. would fit with the description of the episode as a return to the epitomisation of the evil of man. but, why that nuke then? why not the earlier ones in the pacific?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Walrus posted:

interesting idea. would fit with the description of the episode as a return to the epitomisation of the evil of man. but, why that nuke then? why not the earlier ones in the pacific?

Could have something to do with the location. The spot the nuke dropped could be another Glastonbury Grove type place, a little tear between the worlds that was yanked open when that much concentrated Bad poo poo hit at once.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Elias_Maluco posted:

Bobby: "I too, have been touched by the vomiting one..."

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

My girlfriend mentioned the honking driver was screaming that the vomiting zombie kid ate bad corn?
I totally missed that as I was too engrossed by the overwhelming sound and visuals.

Did anyone catch that?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Walrus posted:

CJacobs posted:

Could have something to do with the location. The spot the nuke dropped could be another Glastonbury Grove type place, a little tear between the worlds that was yanked open when that much concentrated Bad poo poo hit at once.

Because the explosion we see is the very first a-bomb. That's the Trinity test, part of the Manhattan Project.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_(nuclear_test)

Beef up on your history, nerds.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i think the mother thing was always there (there's poo poo in secret history about babalon the mother of abominations... the one and the same?) but i think once the a-bomb opened up a gateway to earth and she spat out the bob and the woodsmen and the rest and they took over the convenience store which linked to the black lodge they made, and here's the thing about the old local oral traditions, is it future or is it past? the lodges are outside of time. annie and dale were visiting laura before she died and i'm pretty sure jefferies got thrown through time when he went to judy's.

will be interesting to see when coop wakes up, how long its actually been for him in the lodge, he might just have aged 25 years in 25 minutes.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

DevCore posted:

My girlfriend mentioned the honking driver was screaming that the vomiting zombie kid ate bad corn?
I totally missed that as I was too engrossed by the overwhelming sound and visuals.

Did anyone catch that?
I've watched that scene about 12 times and did not hear anything about corn. All the lady says is that the girl hasn't seen her uncle in a very long time and she's sick.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agreed with many of you, I interpreted the bomb as having weakened the barriers between our world and the lodge world, allowing the spirits we've seen to come through in a more physical sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Because the explosion we see is the very first a-bomb. That's the Trinity test, part of the Manhattan Project.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_(nuclear_test)

Beef up on your history, nerds.

Doesn't have anything to do with my post buster

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Cromulent posted:

I've watched that scene about 12 times and did not hear anything about corn. All the lady says is that the girl hasn't seen her uncle in a very long time and she's sick.

Yeah I made a vid of that scene where Danny devito screams instead of her so I listened to part of that segment a hundred times and I didn't hear corn but I'm also kind of stupid so 50/50 chance it happened

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
by the way the best part of rewatching the original series is the early revelation that hawk big ed and truman are all part of some secret anti black lodge society thats never mentioned again. has that just been officially forgotten at this point or is it a thing still?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Vikar Jerome posted:

i think the mother thing was always there (there's poo poo in secret history about babalon the mother of abominations... the one and the same?) but i think once the a-bomb opened up a gateway to earth and she spat out the bob and the woodsmen and the rest and they took over the convenience store which linked to the black lodge they made, and here's the thing about the old local oral traditions, is it future or is it past? the lodges are outside of time. annie and dale were visiting laura before she died and i'm pretty sure jefferies got thrown through time when he went to judy's.

will be interesting to see when coop wakes up, how long its actually been for him in the lodge, he might just have aged 25 years in 25 minutes.

I'm still not sold on the idea that the bomb created anyone but Bob, if it did truly create him at all. The implication seems to be that Bob is birthed/rebirthed into that monster bug thing, but the woodsmen seem to be an already established group that are enacting some kind of operation to facilitate bob's.. whatever he's doing. Compared to Bob's pupal form they have language, bodies, emotions, hate. And the show also doesn't show anything else other than Bob being created as part of the montage.

And heck, we *see* into the Lodge Realm right after Bob is birthed or rebirthed, with the alerting diving bell scene. I guess they could have also just been blinked into existence but nothing indicates that as such. Actually, now that I think about it, I guess the shift from the quarks to the purple sea and then the pan up to the room they were in could be interpreted as that realm being created out of that explosion. But I read it at the time as being more like 'this area is a part of the fabric of the universe and always has been'

I agree that the out of time nature of the lodge means that sure, they *could* be appearing to 1700's indians once created in the 1940's, but it would still smell like a retcon.

And another thing, I'm not so sure that we can say that the lodges exist explicitly outside of time. Cooper ages, clothing and decor changes with time (compare the giant's suit in the '40s scene with the bell to modern times), and there are many references from people inside the lodge to explicit temporal ideas like 'hurry!'

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Walrus posted:

by the way the best part of rewatching the original series is the early revelation that hawk big ed and truman are all part of some secret anti black lodge society thats never mentioned again. has that just been officially forgotten at this point or is it a thing still?

It pretty much just ended up meaning "sometimes we do poo poo extrajudicially and fart around with non-cop mysteries" which remained true even if they didn't always bring up their formal club for it.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

The Bookhouse Boys? They were cool

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
I'm really hoping the Jack Rabbit's Palace plot has a Bookhouse Boys reunion with Hawk, Ed, New Truman and newest member Bobby Briggs solving some loving dark woods mysteries hell yes.

"Bookhouse Boys" always sounded to me like the title of a series of mystery novels for young boys. Maybe it's intentionally so.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The secret book house, with an illuminated neon sign in the window

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

The secret book house, with an illuminated neon sign in the window

Their secret signal of dragging a finger down their face was also very cool and not at all inconspicuous

Murderist posted:

"Bookhouse Boys" always sounded to me like the title of a series of mystery novels for young boys. Maybe it's intentionally so.

Yes

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Could have something to do with the location.
Doesn't the secret history tie it Jack Whiteside Parsons performing the Babalon Working ritual out there (where he was literally trying to spawn the anti-christ)?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
if anyone has a boner for visual stuff like the atom bomb scene in episode 8 I cannot recommend the film Under the Skin enough — there's one scene in that movie where an alien machine does a thing and it's very much like episode 8 with the screeching orchestral music and super abstract imagery attempting to convey something incomprehensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

if anyone has a boner for visual stuff like the atom bomb scene in episode 8 I cannot recommend the film Under the Skin enough — there's one scene in that movie where an alien machine does a thing and it's very much like episode 8 with the screeching orchestral music and super abstract imagery attempting to convey something incomprehensible.

The score is also really good https://vimeo.com/97853822