Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Sgt. Doomhammer (Orc Sgt hammer skin) already has Ironstar as her BFG animation doesn't she?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
His Trait should work well with shields, right?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

that's really... generic-seeming as a loadout, the kinda thing they could give to any warrior. that's odd because siege weapons + y'shaarj power are kind of garrosh's thing in the game. i wonder if another character's abilities were swapped onto his, kind of like the rumored thrall/rehgar swap during development.

anyways, fastball special seems cool

Yeah I wish he had the siege weapon/ y'shaarj rage because those were pretty iconic from his fight in SoO.

Alpha Mayo posted:

Sgt. Doomhammer (Orc Sgt hammer skin) already has Ironstar as her BFG animation doesn't she?

Yeah she does, but it's a skin and moves pretty fast. And the better heroic is napalm.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
"Solo tank" that gets hard countered by any percentage damage seems real silly. There's so many percent damage in the game now that pretty much consigns him to the lone 5th pick spot only, and that's not where you want to pick up a solo tank pick.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wish Blizzard wasn't so loving stingy with the talents lately. Having only 3 choices per tier is super loving boring. I much preferred when it was about 50/50 per tier whether you'd get 3 or 4 choices.

Garrosh's animations also seem fairly low-budget, which is disappointing since he's really cool otherwise.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gustav posted:

"Solo tank" that gets hard countered by any percentage damage seems real silly. There's so many percent damage in the game now that pretty much consigns him to the lone 5th pick spot only, and that's not where you want to pick up a solo tank pick.

"Hard countered" is a really misleading way of putting it. His trait just effectively means "more HP" to blow through, especially for heroes with DoTs or with low-cooldown low-damage abilities. His trait basically doesn't exist vs. burst.

Eyeballing it I think it amounts out to about 33% more HP assuming damage is done incrementally and not in chunks?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He's the cursed bullet counter obviously.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Does % health damage ignore armor?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Does % health damage ignore armor?

Yes.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Do we know what his base stats are?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Belzac posted:

Varian throws himself into the enemy team.

Garrosh throws the enemy team into the trash.

plz don't talk about your teammates like that

Alpha Mayo posted:

Of course not! Has that ever stopped goons from proclaiming a dude trash/op before launch?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Coolness Averted posted:

Of course not! Has that ever stopped goons from proclaiming a dude trash/op before launch?

I have no idea if he's trash or god-tier or what, I just think that he looks visually dull and conceptually boring as a followup act to Stukov. I know dick-all about WoW but if you didn't tell me that this guy was apparently some big Horde muckamuck who tried to destroy the world and it was a really big deal he seems like he could be Generic Orc Fightman #6452389-2. Like, the throw is kinda cool, things that reposition people are fun, but his other abilities look anemic and not very exciting, even if the numbers turn out good it's kind of disappointing to go from MASSIVE SHOVE to "yeah he hits people around him I guess. There's a little spinny animation."

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kai Tave posted:

I have no idea if he's trash or god-tier or what, I just think that he looks visually dull and conceptually boring as a followup act to Stukov. I know dick-all about WoW but if you didn't tell me that this guy was apparently some big Horde muckamuck who tried to destroy the world and it was a really big deal he seems like he could be Generic Orc Fightman #6452389-2. Like, the throw is kinda cool, things that reposition people are fun, but his other abilities look anemic and not very exciting, even if the numbers turn out good it's kind of disappointing to go from MASSIVE SHOVE to "yeah he hits people around him I guess. There's a little spinny animation."

oh yeah saying "this doesn't look fun," or "I don't find that character interesting" are completely valid at this point. His lackluster animations don't help.

By any chance did you look at his talents though? They're what make him useful and actually able to tank. His basic kit does very little to force the enemy to pay attention to him, but the talents make him very interesting, things like decreasing spell damage, AA speed, or healing of folks he's hitting. There's also all the wackiness of letting your throw target teammates, throwing two dudes at once, or enemies near where the throw lands getting stunned.

It's kinda weird blizzard wouldn't include a mention of how much talents play into Garrosh putting pressure on the enemy team/punishing them not focusing him since his base kit is so big on punishing them for paying attention to him, but has no way of forcing them to, short of an ult on a 50 second cooldown. I know it's to make things easier to read, but this is a character who just looks downright trash-tier and unable to do his job without at least saying "PS, his talents are what make this character a tank."

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

By any chance did you look at his talents though? They're what make him useful and actually able to tank. His basic kit does very little to force the enemy to pay attention to him, but the talents make him very interesting, things like decreasing spell damage, AA speed, or healing of folks he's hitting. There's also all the wackiness of letting your throw target teammates, throwing two dudes at once, or enemies near where the throw lands getting stunned.

That... sounds like exactly the same kind of things talents typically do for any other hero in this game..? That doesn't sound interesting at all.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
And yet it still sounds more interesting than "throw an axe on the ground with purple poo poo around it".

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Shadowlyger posted:

And yet it still sounds more interesting than "throw an axe on the ground with purple poo poo around it".

Good to know your opinions about Garrosh are objectively incorrect even in this case.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you have armor and also a shield, does the armor reduce the damage received by the shield?

Instinct says no but worth asking.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

That's how it works in overwatch, pretty sure that's how it works in HOTS too.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I hope that if Stukov shoves a target in midair from Garrosh's throw that they get shoved to the moon.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Alpha Mayo posted:

His hero page has his ability damage listed and they describe him as a "tank with low maximum health" in the trailer.

Other than that, nothing concrete.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BrianBoitano posted:

If you have armor and also a shield, does the armor reduce the damage received by the shield?

Instinct says no but worth asking.

Negative armor works through shields, so I would assume that positive armor does as well.

I don't know for sure, though.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

MisterZimbu posted:

I hope that if Stukov shoves a target in midair from Garrosh's throw that they get shoved to the moon.

I do this already when Genji leaps. It shoves him off the map entirely and removes him from the game.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Punt him off the map with the dragon knight

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

There was a great bug in beta on Haunted Mines.

The mines are just a separate map that is located way down at the bottom and the mineshafts teleport you there.

It was possible for Diablo, Muradin, and a couple others to accidentally move outside of the geometry of the normal lanes and then get stuck in the black void between maps. Diablo could throw enemy heroes into the void and essentially take them out of the game for 45 seconds.

They would just slowly float down for about 45 seconds until they hit "land" in the mines and could move around again.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There was a great bug in beta on Haunted Mines.

The mines are just a separate map that is located way down at the bottom and the mineshafts teleport you there.

It was possible for Diablo, Muradin, and a couple others to accidentally move outside of the geometry of the normal lanes and then get stuck in the black void between maps. Diablo could throw enemy heroes into the void and essentially take them out of the game for 45 seconds.

They would just slowly float down for about 45 seconds until they hit "land" in the mines and could move around again.

Honestly, it would be badass as gently caress if you could hurl people down the hole in the middle of the map and they'd end up in the middle of the bottom area. That would be a fun map feature to exploit, if only for comedy value.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
From the video Garrosh has 2049 health at level 1, and at level 7 has 2594. 4% scaling would mean base health is 1971, and 4318 health at 20.

For comparison, Anub'Arak is 1925, and beefier tanks are ~2500-2600.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

According to the preview video he is going to have "low health" which will be compensated for with his armor trait.
In other words, -armor heroes will melt garrosh, and he doesn't have much in terms of mobility.

It'll be fun for a few days as people don't realize you have a better diablo flip though

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
He's a support warrior, pretty solidly, looks like.

Honestly they should have just made him a bruiser. He kinda already is with his kit.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

MisterZimbu posted:

Only if it immediately starts playing Shooting Stars when that happens.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

I dunno... I expect he will be very hard to kill. I am speaking from Murky fish tank experience; armor is just too good.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Paranoid Peanut posted:

I dunno... I expect he will be very hard to kill. I am speaking from Murky fish tank experience; armor is just too good.

He would get owned so hard by Malthael's bad ult and any other hero that has a "do x% health damage" skill. He'll be a late draft option for sure.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Being hard to kill doth not a solo tank make. Some day, Blizzard will understand that.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
He'll be really susceptible to alpha strikes from full health, but hard to chase and whittle down while he runs or finish with stealth burst damage. For mid- and low-tier play where stealthers are really scary when you're at low health and you're just starting to learn the basics of positioning I can see that being really strong.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Gustav posted:

Being hard to kill doth not a solo tank make. Some day, Blizzard will understand that.

In most high end play theres also no such thing as a solo tank in any scenario

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

He only has 25 armor at half health. I think he'll be weak to burst in general. He will really need to get those Ws off to keep his health up.
Him being able to go bruiser or initiator as options is interesting. There is going to be some big plays with tossing a team mate in

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
It always seems weird when people with a big two handed weapon do low auto attack or skill damage

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I think the problem isn't with the abilities or the numbers or anything. I think the animations just don't have enough OOMPH befitting a character like Garrosh. I hope they take a second pass at his animations because as long as the animation feels strong I think people can get into it even if the numbers don't pan out that way. Murky is a good example of this, his slime explosion just looks and feels really good even at level 1 when the character can't do a whole lot to other heroes. Anub'arak's basic attack with his... mandibles? look and feel good because they still give off the impression that you're slicing someone up with these sharp pointy things on your hands. Varian's sword animations are REALLY good and have a nice sword hitting sound. Garrosh's animations just need to have a bit more weight to them. The video didn't make his attacks look very strong and they should even if numbers wise they aren't

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wish Blizzard wasn't so loving stingy with the talents lately. Having only 3 choices per tier is super loving boring. I much preferred when it was about 50/50 per tier whether you'd get 3 or 4 choices.

I very much disagree. Some of the removed talents were boring non-unique talents available to quite a few heroes. Having those taken out or replaced with hero specific versions is a good thing. Others were baked into the hero's kit or abilities. The majority of the rest were virtually never picked or virtually always picked, which is also boring.

Talent design and variety isn't perfect, and while perfection is a goal they should, and are, striving for it isn't going to happen across the entire roster all at the same time. Build variety is much more viable for a much larger percentage of heroes now than it ever was when they forced every non-10 tier to have four talents. If three talents per tier is what's needed for that, I'm all for it. It still offers enough variety and flexibility, and if they have enough ideas they will, and often do, go up to four.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

He only has 25 armor at half health. I think he'll be weak to burst in general. He will really need to get those Ws off to keep his health up.
Him being able to go bruiser or initiator as options is interesting. There is going to be some big plays with tossing a team mate in

Is it that low? I thought I remembered it as 1 armor per % missing health, max 75 armor. Which seemed like it would be super strong for everything except %health damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

NeurosisHead posted:

Is it that low? I thought I remembered it as 1 armor per % missing health, max 75 armor. Which seemed like it would be super strong for everything except %health damage.

It's 1 armor per 2% missing health and he has a talent that can make it 1 armor per 1% missing health (max of 75) for 3 seconds on a 30 second cooldown.