Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Proud Christian Mom posted:

He's a mini-Trump in that other rich people still don't respect him or really like him so he'll do literally anything to gain acceptance

Acceptance from who though because blowing Trump on tv doesn't get you acceptance from anyone except a small sect of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pretty scary stuff. Except if you wish this Earth to be cleansed by nuclear fire, I guess.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Pro loving click

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I read an article but I can't remember where, and the world overwhelmingly sees the US as the biggest threat to world peace. Leaps and bounds ahead of ISIS and North Korea even.

Made me chuckle.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

TBeats posted:

I read an article but I can't remember where, and the world overwhelmingly sees the US as the biggest threat to world peace. Leaps and bounds ahead of ISIS and North Korea even.

Made me chuckle.

Its like how we, the people who've been meddling in the Middle East and propping up and tearing down regimes for decades, say Iran is destablizing the region.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Is this the guy that aimed at the feds from a bridge and kept saying poo poo like "do I have a green light?", and I have a shot"?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Is this the guy that aimed at the feds from a bridge and kept saying poo poo like "do I have a green light?", and I have a shot"?

no, this guy is in his 50s.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Christ, what a loving depressing article :smithicide:

God drat this administration.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TBeats posted:

what business does the AG have dealing with gang violence in a different country? is that normal?

FAUXTON posted:

If you're a lovely old plantation gnome who thinks the ills of your country stem almost entirely from a horde of hardened criminals rushing in over the border, then plenty.

I know we're all about Macho Man Randy Savage SUPER SLAMS and piping hot artisanal takes on the notoriously difficult-to-insult Trump administration, but it is very common for the AG to work with international partners. See this article on the Hansa and AlphaBay takedowns reported last week in this very thread

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
It never stops being funny that the downfall of America ended up being the GOP.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Well this is an interesting line of defense

The CIA contractors who designed the torture program are comparing themselves to the manufacturers of Zyklon-B.

quote:

As contractor psychologists for the agency, James Mitchell and Bruce Jessen played an integral role in designing the CIA’s post-9/11 torture program.They personally waterboarded Abu Zubaydah, a detainee effectively used as human guinea pig for torture. And the company they subsequently founded to contract with the CIA on the brutal interrogations earned them $81 million, according to the 2014 Senate torture report. Senator Dianne Feinstein called it “a stain on our values and on our history.”

Unlike every senior U.S. official who ordered and implemented the program, Mitchell and Jessen now face civil – though not criminal – liability. Three survivors of the CIA torture program have sued the two contractors in federal court for compensatory damages. They are joined by the estate of Gul Rahman, who died from hypothermia in CIA custody in November 2002 in an undisclosed prison in Afghanistan known as Cobalt. Jessen was present for Rahman’s interrogation.

After failing to convince a federal judge in Washington state to dismiss the suit, attorneys for Mitchell and Jessen have settled on an unexpected argument ahead of a critical Friday court hearing. They’re like contractors to Nazis and other war criminals, attorneys claim, but the sort that war-crimes tribunals have exonerated.
In a recent filing in the case, Mitchell and Jessen’s attorneys portray the two contract psychologists as analogous to those who made the Zyklon B gas used to murder Jews and others in Nazi concentration camps.
Mitchell and Jessen’s lawyers note that in a British military court in 1946, the Zyklon manufacturing company Tesch & Stabenow’s “first gassing technician” was ultimately acquitted. Although the technician, Joachim Drohsin, played “an integral part of the supply and use of the poison gas,” the British court wrote, he was “without influence” and was found not guilty.

“Here,” Mitchell and Jessen’s attorneys argue, “it is undisputed that, as independent contractors serving on a larger interrogation team, Defendants lacked authority to ‘control, prevent or modify’ the CIA’s decision to use [torture] on detainees.”
Since the contractors were unable to make the decision to torture – instead designing torture regimens for the CIA and implementing them – their lawyers contend they are modern-day Drohsins, supplying modern-day Zyklon and advising on its use. (The 1946 court found the owner and second-in-command at the Zyklon manufacturing firm guilty and condemned them to death.)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Um, before 2005 he was a lawyer privileged enough to be gay and apolitical.

He wrote about himself:

And then, because of his career as a professional scold of the Insufficiently Leftist, he later denied it:

The man actually thinks "I didn't have any political opinion beyond 'sure I guess George W Bush knows what he's doing' " is some sort of superior position.

And then he proceeded to engage in the sort of reflexive anti-Americanism that liberals often get accused of.

Greenwald also has a flair for really dumb and hyperbolic statements such as "Kathryn Bigelow is a modern day Leni Riefenstahl" and "If Obama raped a nun on live TV, liberals would defend it, just like drone strikes."

suboptimal posted:

If you haven't watched PBS Frontline's documentary about the Bundy Ranch and Malheur occupations, you can watch it right here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/american-patriot-inside-the-armed-uprising-against-the-federal-government/

Watching this now, and it's still infuriating watching the Bundy's and militia leaders pretend that BLM took his cattle for no reason whatsoever.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 27, 2017

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Just to bounce off this briefly. I get it if the idea of pulling a soldier for however many months for treatment is relatively galling, though I think the Obama Administration's regulations were a decent compromise.

But I really don't see any justification for denying those who meet mental and physical standards who have already transitioned.

Meanwhile, I couldn't even get my wisdom teeth removed by Navy dentists because I was a year from EAOS.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Also I'd like to point out there's nothing, medically speaking, that requires actually pulling a soldier for treatment with the singular exception for surgery. At which point you're effectively giving someone a year out of PT because it's contraindicated.

While hormones have some effect (deleterious for MtF and positive for FtM), but if females can be infantry there's no reason why transgender people who have already met physical requirements can't continue to do their job, regardless.

Just make them POGs and they'll be honestly fine for most positions after a month.

There's a much better argument to be made about unit morale than there is one about cost or impairment, and even that argument is doomed to failure.

Like many things in practice, I suspect the idea of transgender individuals serving will ultimately be a nonissue, with minimal effect either positive or negative. Still, it's foolish to leave potential talent on the table.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 27, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I would have rather served with trans people than any drunks. They're far more of a liability than someone who needs to duck out for medical appointments regularly.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

cowboy elvis posted:

I would have rather served with trans people than any drunks. They're far more of a liability than someone who needs to duck out for medical appointments regularly.

Well that's the annoying thing! You don't even need them to duck out. Unless they want the surgery, you just need to monitor bloodwork and give them a prescription for pills.

I visit my doctor maybe twice yearly for a bloodwork checkup and the rest of the time just pop 2 tiny pills a day. It was once every 3 months or so when I first started. Missing a day or a week or a month of medications won't do anything other than maybe give you a hair or two on your chin.

I mostly just say this because as I'm someone who transitioned as a young teenager, and I really wanted to to go to OCS and earn my commission after Ash Carter announced that the policy was ending. And I feel as though folks are drastically overestimating the amount of care for transgender people is really necessary. Hormones aren't disruptive, and the vast majority of transgender people either don't want or don't get any surgery whatsoever.

At which point, if you can get through boot and maintain PT standards, who gives a poo poo?

Now admittedly, a majority of transgender people are the sort of folks you don't generally want in any military for mental health or ideological reasons, but there's a reason we already screen for those. Let them be the basis for rejection, not the very fact of being transgender itself.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 27, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Joint Chiefs to Donnie: tweets are not orders, put it in writing you idiot

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/890584115669602304

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/890584279566008322

Per Reuters.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Cracked did a pretty good article today on the trans in the military issue. They interviewed three or four trans people, active, guard, and separated.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2519-we-are-transgender-soldiers-what-you-should-know.html

It's worth a look.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

So that's the IC, the JCS, State, the judiciary...who else is completely alienated?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Recently, a woman in Fargo was filmed threatening some Somali immigrants with death for parking too close to her car.

She's been fired:

https://www.wday.com/news/4303528-mapleton-woman-fired-job-after-fargo-wal-mart-confrontation-sparks-social-media-storm

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nurge posted:

poo poo is going to get really cheap really fast once the people in charge notice practically everyone in europe is getting it for free or close to. Can't risk getting turbofucked by the übermensch globally. Same goes for everywhere else where it's feasible. Most of africa loses again I guess but that's not really changing anything compared to how it is now.

Like this isn't at all comparable to some medical crap. Getting left behind in the genome race is going to just destroy your country if others are pushing it bigtime. Can't risk not pushing it out to everyone.

The hyperrich of all nations already have more in common with each other than with their countrymen, and that's before CRISPR makes them literally their own race.

e: pictured, the ruling class of the 2100s:

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 27, 2017

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Doc Hawkins posted:

The hyperrich of all nations already have more in common with each other than with their countrymen, and that's before CRISPR makes them literally their own race.

I'm fuzzy on my Star Trek history. Wasn't it nuclear and resource wars THEN eugenics wars? We can't get anything right in this timeline.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Doc Hawkins posted:

We're going to get this and none of the Exoframe coolness

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

:stare: Wow.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

It's shocking that placing a man who had a degree in Ranching is incapable of understanding the intricacies of a department almost entirely dedicated to Nuclear Physics.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Would someone repost that post apocalyptic fan fic where two dudes meet and say "BUTTEREMAILS" and the dude replies "BIGLY MAGA" or something that would be great.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Doc Hawkins posted:

The hyper rich are just like the nobility of the mid teen centuries. They practice eugenics but the selection is based on money and land. The worst crime you can commit is to marry a commoner and lift them out of the peasant class.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

I can't wait to chill at the falls on Olympus Mons.
God drat that was a good cartoon.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

CommieGIR posted:

It's shocking that placing a man who had a degree in Ranching is incapable of understanding the intricacies of a department almost entirely dedicated to Nuclear Physics.

I can tell you that putting a medical doctor in charge of Health and Human Services can have the same effect. In the first quarter of that article, you can run a find\replace of DoE and HHS and it will be almost as accurate.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

After sharing the showers for like the first time since boot I wish service would guarantee your choice of a boob job, penis enlargement or sex reassignment.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

A lot of the nuke stuff I was aware of but it was still a good read.

This part though,

quote:

Late one night, just southeast of San Jose, at Pacific Gas and Electric’s Metcalf substation, a well-informed sniper, using a .30-caliber rifle, had taken out 17 transformers. Someone had also cut the cables that enabled communication to and from the substation. “They knew exactly what lines to cut,” said Tarak Shah, who studied the incident for the D.O.E. “They knew exactly where to shoot. They knew exactly which manhole covers were relevant—where the communication lines were. These were feeder stations to Apple and Google.” There had been enough backup power in the area that no one noticed the outage, and the incident came and went quickly from the news
:stare: What the gently caress?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

:stare: What the gently caress?

Believe it or not, substations and access panels are well labelled.

We had a similar incident happen to a datacenter I was under contract with, the guy cut the comms cables to the substation and started shooting the transformers. Thankfully, the comms going out set off an alert and a police officer drove by and spotted the guy and arrested him before he did any real damage.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Interior Secretary threatens Republican Senator over healthcare vote. "Nice State you have there, shame if it didn't get any federal money"

Republican Senator is an Appropriations Committee chairwoman, in charge of funding Interior Department. "Nice department you have there, shame if it didn't get any federal money or people"

https://twitter.com/kasie/status/890606495737405442

Don't piss off the people that control your money.

Aspiring Alabama Senator Mo Brooks (now in the House) put out a $10k ad using audio from the Scalise shooting. He pulled the ad after an outrage, then they started checking the ad agency. They also made "Thong Girl 3" and slasher movies.

http://altoday.com/archives/18040-the-company-you-keep-mo-brooks-10k-senate-ad-guy-also-behind-thong-girl-3-slasher-movies

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 27, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CommieGIR posted:

We had a similar incident happen to a datacenter I was under contract with, the guy cut the comms cables to the substation and started shooting the transformers. Thankfully, the comms going out set off an alert and a police officer drove by and spotted the guy and arrested him before he did any real damage.

So did he get terrorism charges?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LingcodKilla posted:

So did he get terrorism charges?

I don't know what they charged him with. I was just on the call when they reported he'd been arrested.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

Interior Secretary threatens Republican Senator over healthcare vote. "Nice State you have there, shame if it didn't get any federal money"

Republican Senator is an Appropriations Committee chairwoman, in charge of funding Interior Department. "Nice department you have there, shame if it didn't get any federal money or people"

https://twitter.com/kasie/status/890606495737405442

Don't piss off the people that control your money.

If your plan includes "Bully Alaskans" as one of its steps you should scrap it and go back to square one.

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
Rule #1 for department heads is usually don't piss off your appropriations committee.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CommieGIR posted:

I guess my biggest question would be, why?

Like if he wasn't cutting the comms cables, and just shooting at the transformers, I'd chalk it up to idiot rednecks being idiot rednecks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

I guess my biggest question would be, why?

Like if he wasn't cutting the comms cables, and just shooting at the transformers, I'd chalk it up to idiot rednecks being idiots rednecks.

They do it less now that proper site documentation is becoming a thing, but it used to be a big issue that substations were not well documented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I'm not sure what you mean. Like not having warning signs telling people to gently caress off or what?

• Locked thread