Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

So Math posted:

Scala stuff

Richard "Lowtax" "AFX" James talked about that in a conversation they had with Monologue's designer here

http://item.warp.net/interview/aphex-twin-speaks-to-tatsuya-takahashi/

a super affordable mono with all the trimmings that was partially designed by Aphex Twin, what times we live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
For babbys first modular case would you recommend a tiptop mantis or the pittsburgh EP-270?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Gringostar posted:

For babbys first modular case would you recommend a tiptop mantis or the pittsburgh EP-270?

Mantis. Better hp/$ ratio. Tiptop power is good as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm starting my journey to becoming a Serum master and today, I was following a few Boards of Canada tutorials and UNF, I am in love with that slightly-detuned, bandpassed, noisy lead.

:allears:

I love this synth.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I have had Serum for months and have literally not even opened it. I should get on that, I reckon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I have had Serum for months and have literally not even opened it. I should get on that, I reckon.

It's a wonderful, beautiful thing.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Gringostar posted:

spend the extra benjamin for a case with a lid, kid

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

:same:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

spend the extra benjamin for a case with a lid, kid

If you're taking it out to play live, maybe.

For a first case that's going to sit in your "studio", nah. Just get a pillowcase to keep the dust off at night.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Got my Mantis in yesterday. So far I'm really impressed with how stable it is compared to what I was thinking it would feel. The plastic is very rigid, not thin and flexible like I thought it would be. The legs are also a lot better than I assumed. I've read a bunch of comments on-line about position B (legs halfway down, rear stabilizer out) was wonky, but it feels fine to me.

Highly recommended for the $$.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

self-promotion time :sax:

track of mine came out today on this comp on Tectorum Tapes: https://tectorumtapes.bandcamp.com/album/tectorum-tapes-vol-three
the digi version is name-yer-price; and there's tapes for the tape heads.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

Scatterfold posted:

self-promotion time :sax:

track of mine came out today on this comp on Tectorum Tapes: https://tectorumtapes.bandcamp.com/album/tectorum-tapes-vol-three
the digi version is name-yer-price; and there's tapes for the tape heads.

Which track is yours?

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Noxious posted:

Which track is yours?

promise of transformation

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Crossposting from the new gear thread cause it isn't a guitar.

My Moisturizer came in - sounds so lovely.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Oldstench posted:

:eyepop: oh nice

pls post some clips of that thing when you have a chance

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Oldstench posted:

Full boat of mods? I really need to do the filter one. Real great box though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Scatterfold posted:

:eyepop: oh nice

pls post some clips of that thing when you have a chance

Sure, here you go. Comments explain what I'm doing for the most part - kind of hard to remember after the fact.
https://soundcloud.com/oldstench/moist-krell

Startyde posted:

Full boat of mods? I really need to do the filter one. Real great box though.

The filter placement mod is essential to get the most out of it, followed by the feedback mod, then the more gain mod.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Oldstench posted:

The filter placement mod is essential to get the most out of it, followed by the feedback mod, then the more gain mod.

feedback . . . mod? i thought feedback was what god made mixers for :shrug:

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Oldstench posted:

Sure, here you go.

that's one nice sounding spring verb; v jealous

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Happy 15th birthday, Microkorg!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I've been curious about it for a while, and at this point in time there are enough out there that one can be had quite cheap.

Is a Microkorg/XL worth picking up in 2017/2018?

I have a Minilogue and it feels weird to buy a VA synth that was designed to be affordable 15 years ago when there's so much recent stuff in the analog and digital spaces that also competes for budget and time.

If I want to do vocal processing am I better off going with software/dedicated device/whatever the Roland Boutique vocoder thing is called?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

i uh, cant quite say i liked the microkorg, but indidnt hate it, and if u aint got a battery powered synth u owe it to yrself to play one for a while see how it feels

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I had fun making this shoot-em-up-esque song today.

So Math posted:

• Record and clear out Circuit patterns
  • Learn how to use talkbox
  • Program microtonal scales on Monologue
  • Audio decoupling mod on Werkstatt
  • Solder a Synthrotek kit
  • 24 hour album challenge
Might do more recording while I've got momentum going. I'm also getting pumped for a noise show I'm playing this Friday.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i uh, cant quite say i liked the microkorg, but indidnt hate it, and if u aint got a battery powered synth u owe it to yrself to play one for a while see how it feels

Idk, if I'm thinking 'battery powered synth' shouldn't I just go full kitchen sink and save up for an OP-1?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ELECTRONICA

I had the ms2000r and it loving sucked, death to microkorg.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Idk, if I'm thinking 'battery powered synth' shouldn't I just go full kitchen sink and save up for an OP-1?

no onboard cv/gate and yet still called full kitchen sink 🤔

idk im a weirdo who feels that presets are a synths way of lying to my face so i let the tb-03 fill this void:shrug:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Electric Bugaloo posted:

i love my op-1. it sits next to me like a trusted friend

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

no onboard cv/gate and yet still called full kitchen sink 🤔

idk im a weirdo who feels that presets are a synths way of lying to my face so i let the tb-03 fill this void:shrug:

For my needs, the sampler/recorder/effects/FM tuner/multiple engines/etc. that the OP-1 brings make it a better portable instrument/thing to keep in my bag to mess around with than a 303 reboot with cv/gate.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

First world problem, I know, but my QMMG won't fit in the Mantis and I'm super pissed.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Getting a sub 37 to compliment my minilogue, good idea or best idea?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Thorpe posted:

Getting a sub 37 to compliment my minilogue, good idea or best idea?

It's a terrible idea. You should give me your sub 37 before you come to hate the idea and do something you'll regret

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 25, 2017

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Rumors of a SH-101 boutique based on this:

Not sure if its analog or not - some people are taking the touch bars as proof it's VA but it seems to me like that shouldn't stop much. Analog interests me more for the usual dumb reasons but I really like the mono mode on my JX-03 for 101-type sounds so I'm intrigued either way.

TR, I've listened to a lot of Roland clone/riffing modules since talking about the SE-02 and I think I see what you mean about it being a weird choice going for Malekko and SE for partnerships over like Intellijel. It would be cool to get a very restrained, smooth, analog 101 re-issue in the year of the 300 dollar Minimoog as a bit of a palette cleanse.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

I see what you mean about it being a weird choice going for Malekko and SE for partnerships over like Intellijel.

Why? Malekko's Wiard partnership yielded some of the best modules in euro.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Why? Malekko's Wiard partnership yielded some of the best modules in euro.

Fair point! I should probably have quoted the post I was responding to (and spelled out the poster's name). I didn't really understand this point when it was made, but having compared more Roland clones/homages, it makes more sense to me:

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'm bummed that Roland is outsourcing this stuff to companies that make incredibly un-Roland sounding instruments (Malekko, Reon, SE) instead of making stuff that's full of character or at least partnering with companies that DO make Roland-sounding stuff (Cwejman, Ken MacBeth, Intellijel).

There was an interview where they (Malekko) talked about doing the 500 series stuff and their approach, and they're definitely keying in on a rawer, more distorted side of sounds that Roland synths can make (if anyone's interested I'll dig through mailing list stuff and post it).

No hate on Malekko whatsoever, but theres a more restrained Roland sound that other modules get to more easily (I think? these opinions are mostly demo-based, unfortunately).

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

For my needs, the sampler/recorder/effects/FM tuner/multiple engines/etc. that the OP-1 brings make it a better portable instrument/thing to keep in my bag to mess around with than a 303 reboot with cv/gate.

the built in speaker is the most clutch thing about the tb-03 and the op-1 is one of the few that bother with that :thumbsup:

rly makes it so much easier needing 0 cables instead of needing just 1, it def makes carrying around an electronic instrument feel like its not a chore anymore for me

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/catalog/product/view/id/16960/s/vermona-8u-modular-case-104hp/category/162/
Heads up $300 off the very nice 6+1+1U vermona case. I'm very tempted but I'm through buying poo poo this year (lol)

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
How rare/sought after are the Juno-106's? I saw one pop up locally asking for 1200. Says it's in great condition but I don't know much about vintage gear.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

MrSargent posted:

How rare/sought after are the Juno-106's? I saw one pop up locally asking for 1200. Says it's in great condition but I don't know much about vintage gear.

I just saw one of these pop up a little bit ago on my local Craigslist for $800, saying it was recently gone through and serviced. It's been there for a little over a week now so I don't know how fast they go

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Juno 106s aren't especially rare, but they are quite desirable due to their MIDI support, patch memories and pitch stability (DCOs). They were also considered for a long time to be the primary ingredient for making generic Goa trance.

As with everything, I suppose it depends on how much you like their sound.

I can't comment on the price, though, as the modern "vintage" market is bonkers. I remember when 106s in perfect nick were just a couple of hundred!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Ok, so where do we talk about the Acidlab Detroit and how much I need it in my life?