Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

tweet my meat posted:

I've been getting that dwarf fortress itch again. Big single layer main levels are inefficient as hell but I still make them every time so I have an ant farm z level where most of the important action happens.

This is my basic blueprint so far, how do you guys have your main areas set up?

pretty much same, but absolutely no unknown tiles inside the outer bounds of the design. Every inch of between-rooms-or-corridors space is used for reservoirs, bank vaults, bricked up crypts or passages.

it's a mess and I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That dedication to pre planning is utterly incomprehensible to me.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I even had it all prioritized in the designations too. If I'm gonna be looking at it most of the game I want it to be somewhat intricate and logically laid out.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

tweet my meat posted:

I've been getting that dwarf fortress itch again. Big single layer main levels are inefficient as hell but I still make them every time so I have an ant farm z level where most of the important action happens.

This is my basic blueprint so far, how do you guys have your main areas set up?

Look at this chump playing around in the dirt like a filthy goblin. Why don't you dig deeper and live amongst the stone you heathen??

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The red looks pretty :)

I'm also primarily an agriculture and wood kind of player. My usual start is something like miner, woodcutter, herbalist, farmer, butcher/cook, animal handler/brewer, and carpenter. If wallowing in dirt is wrong I don't want to be right.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The last time I posted my fortress layout I got called a sperg, by Dwarf Fortress players. :v:

I haven't played in ages but let me see if I still have an old save file.

e:

Workshops in the center, bedrooms in the corners, stockpiles in the sides, also the floor directly below this has a similar pattern but has raw material stockpiles directly below the workshops they feed. I originally designed this when noise traveled much further and dwarves would get grumpy if they slept too close to workshops, which is no longer the case, but I like how it looks and I'm familiar with it so it stays.

Also this on a 1x1 embark which is why the whole thing is oddly off-center; the window dimensions are adjusted so the whole map fits on one screen.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 27, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I like that layout quite a bit. Very neatly laid out and symmetrical.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

I like that layout quite a bit. Very neatly laid out and symmetrical.

It has the added advantage of looking like a gaint turtle if you add extra floors but don't need all of the available stockpile space.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

whats the best way to get started on this

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Dwarf Fortress isn't really a game with a central gameplay conceit or anything like that -- it's a bunch of discrete systems that sometimes interact with each other. Some of them are pretty important, some of them are alternatives to each other, and some of them are almost completely pointless and just there for fun and because Toady thought it would be cool to simulate beekeeping or whatever.

My advice would be: find a good tutorial, turn off invaders, and take as much time as you need to learn one subsystem at a time. Like, make your goal for your first fortress something like "have a farm so my dwarves don't starve." When you're confident in getting that set up, add another system.

e: This might be a little overwhelming but looks like it's up-to-date: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide

I know we had a goon doing video tutorials a while back but they were for an older version and I don't know if he ever updated them; they should still largely apply but might have slight differences or omissions.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
OK, I'm self sufficient and not in immediate need of any facilities now. All that's left to do is shore up defenses and furnish. First priority is getting the tavern up and running which is what I have going on over at that unconstructed floor. Should look pretty swanky once I get the furniture installed.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I followed a video tutorial and consulted the wiki on poo poo that didn't make sense. Eventually it just "clicks" and you find yourself wondering how you never understood it before. Before long you'll be moving on from meager stockpile-workshop chains to underground colosseums where the mere pull of a lever unleashes all the creatures you trapped upon each other.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My advice would be: find a good tutorial, turn off invaders, and take as much time as you need to learn one subsystem at a time. Like, make your goal for your first fortress something like "have a farm so my dwarves don't starve." When you're confident in getting that set up, add another system.

This is what I did.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

COMRADES posted:

This is what I did.

:same:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

COMRADES posted:

This is what I did.

Same, but leave invaders on and learn a little more every iteration as your fort is destroyed by monsters and whatnot.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The last time I posted my fortress layout I got called a sperg, by Dwarf Fortress players. :v:

I haven't played in ages but let me see if I still have an old save file.

e:

Workshops in the center, bedrooms in the corners, stockpiles in the sides, also the floor directly below this has a similar pattern but has raw material stockpiles directly below the workshops they feed. I originally designed this when noise traveled much further and dwarves would get grumpy if they slept too close to workshops, which is no longer the case, but I like how it looks and I'm familiar with it so it stays.

Also this on a 1x1 embark which is why the whole thing is oddly off-center; the window dimensions are adjusted so the whole map fits on one screen.

Where's your food processing / kitchen / dining hall in relation to all of this? That's always the part that turns into a big mess for me.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've found that once you understand which keys do something actually important to a new player and which keys open some byzantine sub-system, the rest flows from there as long as you read the wiki, experiment, or follow a tutorial.

The big things to remember are "d" for designations which is where you can actually mark out places to be mined with "d" again and to select trees to chop down with "t". It works by selecting a corner of the designated area marked by the cursor, then selecting the other corner which will mark all applicable in that rectangle.

Another big one is "b" for build where you can access all the different things you can build and mark them out to be built by your dwarves. The most important feature in here is "w" for workshops which lets you view the buildable workshops. The big 2 are mason workshops and carpenter workshops which will make the majority of the various furniture around your fort (which after being crafted can be placed via the "b"uild menu again). If you're looking for farming it's also under the build menu as "p" for farm "p"lot

Once you have a workshop down hit "q" for query or something I guess to enter building tasks mode. This will let you change the current tasks or settings of any item or structure that you have placed down with "b", e.g. setting a door to be impassable to humans or pets, or in this case setting a workshop to produce an item by hitting "a" and the the letter of the item you want from the list such as "d" for a door.

Then there's "v" which allows you to "v"iew a specific unit. There's other ways to do this such as "u" to view a full list, but I generally use "v" early on. Once you have a dwarf highlighted, you have a few tabs. The big ones are "g"eneral and "p"references. General lets you see what skills the dwarf has, and preferences lets you set what labors the dwarf should perform. Generally these are automatically set and shouldn't be a huge issue but a lot of times you get a dwarf who needs to be performing a specific task hauling rocks instead of doing it. so you would go into hauling and disable all of them or just hit shift+enter on the hauling category.

These are the main keys you use to interact with the world and command your dwarves. If you can learn how to use d b q & v, which are surprisingly simple once you get the hang of them, the rest of the game becomes a lot easier to learn since you have your basic interaction tools down.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is there any way to force my dwarves to barrel food? I have a ton of barrels and dwarves are still just happily slopping food onto the ground.

Also is there a way to force my tavern to recognize the goblets stockpiled inside?

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 28, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

Is there any way to force my dwarves to barrel food? I have a ton of barrels and dwarves are still just happily slopping food onto the ground.

Does the food stockpile allow barrels?
(This is different from stocking barrels as furniture, it's a flag outside the permitted goods screen, as far as I remember.)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah it does, my dwarves are just lazy and ignore all the empty barrels I have. digging a passage directly to my furnitur stockpile seems to have helped a bit though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

tweet my meat posted:

Also is there a way to force my tavern to recognize the goblets stockpiled inside?

IIRC taverns store their goblets in chests and ignore stockpiles so you have to build several chests and then go into the locations screen and tell it how many goblets to assign to the tavern. Default is something comically low like 10.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Woops, yeah I forgot the chest. So military isn't as terrible as I remember it being. I managed to get a small militia recruited outfitted and into training without too much fuss. I'm up to 3 marksdwarves and 3 melee dwarves split into two squads. I've always really loved this target range and melee barracks design so I wind up using it on every fort.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

Where's your food processing / kitchen / dining hall in relation to all of this? That's always the part that turns into a big mess for me.

You're looking at most of it. The 10-o'clock stockpile is plants, the one below it is booze, in between is a brewery and a farmer's workshop. The 7-o'clock stockpile is also booze and is set to take from the first one; the dining hall is one floor down and bottom-center. Across from the second booze stockpile is cooked and other misc. food, and then the 4-o'clock stockpile is meat with a butcher and tanner right above it.

Farms are one level up the central staircase, with seeds right nearby. Animals are brought in from some distance away but meat isn't a major industry for me so it's rarely the bottleneck for anything.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just got my first dwarf stuck in a tree, and she's my legendary embark crew herbalist that a friend called dibs on the name of. I'm guessing the way to get them down is to build a staircase up or chop down the tree right? Would just chopping it down most likely kill them? I'd like to avoid killing a named dwarf if possible.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

You have to fall a big ol' distance to really sustain dangerous injuries. I think you have to fall something like 9-10 z-levels onto solid rock before you properly go "splat". 2-3 levels onto dirt and grass is nothing in comparison.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
keep in mind some trees can be quite tall

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tall enough that the dwarf might not die but be rendered cripple forever

which honestly does not matter

if you train crutch walking to legendary they will actually go faster than normal dwarves

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Addamere posted:

tall enough that the dwarf might not die but be rendered cripple forever

which honestly does not matter

if you train crutch walking to legendary they will actually go faster than normal dwarves

*breaks all his dwarves legs*

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
be careful not to break their spines because then they do not walk at all

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

This guy really likes glue.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean it was only a matter of time until df procedurally generated a glue-huffing savant and here we are

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Eric the Mauve posted:

This guy really likes glue.

:laffo: holy poo poo, 'For The Love of Glue'. This game..

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Finally finished up my office/temple/library complex. Got some space to dig some side doorways in the temple in case I want to build some temples to the smaller gods.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Are you digging into dirt?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yep, I like having it next to the surface so I can keep all the ugly stockpiles and quarries down below. Eventually everything is going to be dug out and replaced with stone walls, but that's gonna be a gradual process.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ugh I just like engraving too much to do that.
Still say you should be able to make paint out of dye which you can then do paintings on walls

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So how would I go about replacing one specific tile out of a tileset? I'm using spacefox which, while fantastic, has disgustingly bad road textures that are the same as the farm plot textures. I want to replace it with something a bit simpler, I think the older versions had something like that and I want to pick that tile out and put it in the updated tileset.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

So how would I go about replacing one specific tile out of a tileset? I'm using spacefox which, while fantastic, has disgustingly bad road textures that are the same as the farm plot textures. I want to replace it with something a bit simpler, I think the older versions had something like that and I want to pick that tile out and put it in the updated tileset.

They're just image files, divided up into individual tiles by nothing other than their position on the bitmap / png. There's no reason you couldn't paste the old tile over the new one, as long as you can find it and line them up correctly.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They're just image files, divided up into individual tiles by nothing other than their position on the bitmap / png. There's no reason you couldn't paste the old tile over the new one, as long as you can find it and line them up correctly.

Cool I can probably get that done pretty easily if I gently caress around with photoshop for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Woo! My dwarves finally did a song! I only have the one instrument right now but I think the other two just played their parts with mouth sounds and beatboxing. I really should get around to making those instruments since this particular song seems to be a fortress favorite.