Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Got any pictures of your bad decals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I can get a couple tonight. The insignia is opaque, obviously, so it's not too noticeable. But, it is definitely not settled down in the nooks and crannies of the panel lines and is clearly floating above them. Additionally, there are numerous obvious tiny air pockets under it. The other large decal - the bomb tally markings on the kit box - is mostly transparent and has some obvious silvering along the upper and rear-most portions. While trying to pop some of the bubbles and press the decal down for a better fit, I managed to rip off one of the bomb emblems. :suicide:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

My air brush woe is that I bought one of those compressors made specifically for painting that just has a little air reservoir above its air piston. It worked well for awhile, but now it has developed a leak, likely in the one-way thingy that keeps air from going back into the piston space once pumped, so even running at 20 psi requires it to turn itself on and off constantly.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

A flared nozzle shouldn't cause any paint flow issues, but the nozzle shouldn't be flared to begin with. You might need to replace the nozzle assembly.

Did you try running pure water through the brush? If you can't spray pure water through the brush without issues, then you know it's definitely the brush at fault. What about if you just shoot air? Do you get any stuttering or hesitation in the air flow? You could also try adding a minuscule amount of retarder to your paint mix to see if that stops any tip-dry that could be blocking flow.

Maybe paint flow isnt the right way to describe what was happening. It was almost like a trigger problem. I'd pull back about 20-30% and get nothing, and at around 40% I'd get a spurt of paint. The flow was fine after that spurt, unless I tried to push the trigger forward again for a finer line. This was a recurring problem, from the initial attempt at painting, to every time I let off the paint and air to clean off the tip. I was using Vallejo, thinned at about 1:3 with distilled water + some flow aid and retarder at 20psi.

The air flow is consistent. Pure water/thinner sprayed a lot better than paint. The problem was still kinda there, but it was significantly lessened. Water would start finely spraying at around 5%, but not quite immediately after pulling the trigger back. I ended up trying some Tamiya mixed with leveling thinner at around 1:4. It sprayed in a very similar way to the water, much more manageable than the Vallejo I tried with earlier. I'm probably gonna switch to only using lacquers with this brush.

It's not quite as responsive and predictable as I remember it being out of the box, so I think I might get a spare nozzle anyway and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It sounds like it just might be issues with paint drying inside the nozzle. Some paints I get that, so I always give a quick blast away from the object I'm painting to clear the stream before I bring it back to the model. Vallejo is a slightly finicky paint, more so than Tamiya and true lacquers. Did you try any of Vallejo's name-brand thinner? I find their thinner is slightly hotter than a typical acrylic thinner, so their paint might require something a bit stronger to really knock back the drying action on their product.

Get a new nozzle anyway if you can. Maybe email the manufacturer and see if a slightly flared tip is normal for your brush first though. I've never heard of that, but it's worth checking before you spend some money.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah, I've tried using the Vallejo thinner too. It's been pretty warm here recently, so maybe that's been making things worse too.

That's a good idea. I'll keep emailing around and see if I can find a replacement GSI Creos nozzle. If not I think an iwata nozzle is also an option.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

As promised...

I'm not sure if it's the pics that bring it out more, or if I just never saw it in person, but that gloss coat looks rough as hell. :( First time using Alclad II's Aqua Gloss after hearing rave reviews on it.

On the plus side, my AFV Club Tiger I's Zimmerit is coming along nicely.

This is just roughed in. I need to trim a couple sections and fill a few others to tighten up the gaps, but overall I'm really happy with how it's coming together. Ignore the fact that I have the roadwheels on the wrong stations. They're just dry fit. This is my first AFV Club kit and I'm kinda middling on it. The hull fit together like a dream. The turret however was a bitch. It consists of a lower ring, upper plate, and two shell halves. Unfortunately, the curve of the shell halves didn't match the curves of either the upper or lower parts. So, I had to glue and clamp them, then fill and sand some pretty nasty gaps on the upper roof. That's why it's got a shot of primer on it, since I was checking for gaps. Ultimately, it came out okay, but it's a lot more effort that I'm used to with Dragon or Tamiya kits.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those decals look pretty ok to me, but like you said it's sometimes hard tell unless you're seeing it live and moving in person, the way the light plays off the decal and contrasts with the rest of the model can be the big give-away. Finish on the model needs to be just as smooth as the decal. It's probably just a bad gloss you've got going on there. I've had perfectly fine luck using future, but I'm doing N scale poo poo so a "big" decal is like anything over 1cm.

I'm working on a foundation for a building, it's my first time trying to do a building where to fix the foundation to the layout so it can blend nicely with no gaps, and then have the upper stories fit on top. Having a slight gap between concrete blocks and siding looks natural, having a gap between your foundation and the ground doesn't.

Took a lot of noisy dremel work to dig the holes for the stairwell and light well. I'm not super happy how the static grass turned out, but it's the best my lovely home made applicator can do. Maybe I need to change out the battery on it.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Gewehr 43 posted:

As promised...

I just had the same thing happen to me out of the blue after several trouble free models using the same process. It's very frustrating because the gloss finish looked the same to me as it always does. I'm going to start giving the model an extra coat of gloss and if I ever get silvered decals again I'll start buying dry transfers.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

My seemingly annual post of "goofy stuff you could be making from Round 2 right now:"

An early '90s Nissan Pickup in 1/20 scale

And that's good, but I noticed they sell comical 70s mini-trucks!

(Automotive insanity loves weird tiny trucklets, mostly for comedy reasons)

another AMC pacer - this one with a CB radio (at any rate less eyeshattering/awesome than that """sport pak""" one they were selling.)

A 1970s coke hauler

Also, thanks to the magic of the customization system in Saint's Row 2, I figured out the one true way to paint this kit:

PS> What's the thread's opinion of minicraft? I just noticed that it has released a new 1/144 B-52.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I've been thinking about picking up a Toyota Hilux kit, and turning it into a middle-eastern Technical. Lot's of beat up body panels, chipping, and a scavenged AA gun or helicopter rocket-pod mounted on the back.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've been thinking about picking up a Toyota Hilux kit, and turning it into a middle-eastern Technical. Lot's of beat up body panels, chipping, and a scavenged AA gun or helicopter rocket-pod mounted on the back.

Doesn't Takom already make one of those?

If this misses the point, nevermind

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Not sure, Takom might if it's a new item. They've certainly started pumping out kits like crazy lately. Last I checked I think the only one making a "Technical" kit was a AK or Mig or whoever, a resin kit. Hilux's are available from a few manufacturers.

EDIT: Looks like Meng does a Technical kit as well.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Meng's got a few in 1/35. And a few resin sets for rocket pods/launchers for the truck bed.

This is the figure that comes with the ZPU1 version of the Hilux.

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 28, 2017

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Hey!, http://round2corp.com/product/interplanetary-ufo-mystery-ship-2/

I had one of these when I was a kid. It was a Star Trek model, the invisible alien space ship that they couldn't show you because the budget was too low. It was glow in the dark. ....and I just found out the model's history: http://frank.bol.ucla.edu/le.html

This is the box art from when I was a kid. I guess it was originally the Lief Ericson Galactic Cruiser of Strategic Space Command.

The box included a free record of The Sounds of Space.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Symetrique posted:

Meng's got a few in 1/35. And a few resin sets for rocket pods/launchers for the truck bed.

This is the figure that comes with the ZPU1 version of the Hilux.

Is there anywhere you can still get this because it looks pretty drat cool.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Scale hobbyist has it

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Model_Cars/dual-cab-toyota-hilux-pickup-truck-w-zpu1-gun/MGK00000VS1/product.php?kw=meng,zpu

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Not sure, Takom might if it's a new item. They've certainly started pumping out kits like crazy lately. Last I checked I think the only one making a "Technical" kit was a AK or Mig or whoever, a resin kit. Hilux's are available from a few manufacturers.

EDIT: Looks like Meng does a Technical kit as well.

So just out of curiosity, are you going to go with the Meng kit or do you have your heart set on scratchbuilding one? (I can't find a single picture on the internets of the round2 Nissan pickup, but it apparently does come as an American-style' kit, with a full engine bay.)

If you want to make a 'murican technical, Meng makes a 1/35 Ford F-350.

Takom makes a 'german civillian car' (looks like a BMW 3 series) with gas rockets, and a 'japanese SUV' (looks like a 4runner with bits of Mitsubishi's SUV).

Meng makes in addition to the Toyota technical, a 'pickup with equipment', and a twofer kit of a two door pickup and four-door pickup.

e: they also make something that could be a crapkit

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I've just been dicking around with my new Foldio 360 for 15mins which is total fun and I thought you might like to see the efforts. Not perfect as just getting used to it but still a pretty cool gadget.

Corsair

Panther

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I made an ugly windowless tilt-up warehouse and some how managed to forget to make an entire wall. Also everything fits together super tight to the point of some slight bending/buckling which makes me sad. Will have to really glue it all together with some weights.

I do like how the "decorative" texture on the wall slabs turned out though at least. Not sure to paint it raw concrete or a colour.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I made an ugly windowless tilt-up warehouse and some how managed to forget to make an entire wall. Also everything fits together super tight to the point of some slight bending/buckling which makes me sad. Will have to really glue it all together with some weights.

I do like how the "decorative" texture on the wall slabs turned out though at least. Not sure to paint it raw concrete or a colour.

I want a Mr Rodgers intro style camera tour of your town.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Progress on the babby tiger. Half the weathering done. Still tracks and details and mud and dirt to go.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
:kimchi: what a li'l cutie. Shouldn't the hull machinegun be black though?

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Ensign Expendable posted:

:kimchi: what a li'l cutie. Shouldn't the hull machinegun be black though?

Yeah i just missed him, I havent really done any of the details in metal. I just covered the tow cables, mounted gun and spare tracks in chipping colour when I had it out on the palette. I plan on using steel pigment and a pencil, we will see how that goes.

OKB tracks came too and they are amazing. They are so fine they dont need heating at all, they just bend to the shape of the wheels no problems.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Can anyone recommend a nice Camaro SS 396 kit? Doesn't have to be some crazy 1000 piece thing with photo-etch but nice enough to display, gift for my dad.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ijyt posted:

Can anyone recommend a nice Camaro SS 396 kit? Doesn't have to be some crazy 1000 piece thing with photo-etch but nice enough to display, gift for my dad.

We're talking '60s Camaro, right?

e: Scalemates is your friend, as always

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 31, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh drat, thanks!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Build that 1/16 80s IROC-Z

Just because

I had no idea such a thing existed

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Actually scratch that

Monogram made a 1/8th scale IROC-Z28

:psyduck:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Blackchamber posted:

I want a Mr Rodgers intro style camera tour of your town.

I vote Beetlejuice style

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Iron Crowned posted:

I vote Beetlejuice style

"Nice fuckin' model!"

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

One of my major life ambitions is to have the Schnellboot S-100, MAS 568, Vosper MTB, and Elco 80' PT Boat all in Italeri 1/35

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I built Tamiya's 1:35 Jagdpanzer IV.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Looks great! What's going on with the front right road wheel, though? It's peeking out a little further than it ought to.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Are those metal tracks, or vinyl? The sag on them looks amazing!

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Picture dump incoming, because the babby Tiger is done. PE fenders and exhaust shields, metal barrel, OKB resin tracks, and wire tow cables. Painted with the AMMO early german set. Weathered with AK and AMMO products.
Built for the 75th anniversary of the Tiger 1 group build on Facebook.

Now to finish the King Tiger. There is also a Sherman build going that I might join too but I have no idea about shermans.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Is that 1/100 or are you a giant?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tentacle Party posted:

Picture dump incoming, because the babby Tiger is done. PE fenders and exhaust shields, metal barrel, OKB resin tracks, and wire tow cables. Painted with the AMMO early german set. Weathered with AK and AMMO products.
Built for the 75th anniversary of the Tiger 1 group build on Facebook.

Now to finish the King Tiger. There is also a Sherman build going that I might join too but I have no idea about shermans.

That's a nice looking tank, I like your weathering work.

One thing I noticed, and it might be accurate, I'm not really that up on the tanks - the big cables laying on the deck have no visible tie-downs to the hull. Wouldn't there have been something securing them?

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

The Locator posted:

That's a nice looking tank, I like your weathering work.

One thing I noticed, and it might be accurate, I'm not really that up on the tanks - the big cables laying on the deck have no visible tie-downs to the hull. Wouldn't there have been something securing them?

Yeah, I need to steal some PE from another kit and make some.

And its 1:72, and I have big hands ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Tentacle Party posted:

Are those metal tracks, or vinyl? The sag on them looks amazing!

They're Modelkasten's plastic workable tracks.