Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Lysidas posted:

melanin literally is electrically conductive under a lot of conditions and there's some evidence it acts as a biologically derived semiconductor, so screwy as it sounds it does seem remotely plausible that its could have some effect on electrical fingerprint reading

unless you are grinding the pads of your fingers down with sandpaper to get fresh, wet cells every morning I seriously doubt it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

go play outside Skyler posted:

have you ever tried making face reckognition algorithms work for black people?

it's loving hard

yes, it must be something special wrong/different with black people
which human beings have no difficulty whatsoever face-recognizing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

okay cool go make a computer brain and feed it years of contextual information no big deal its definitely in no way more difficult to accomplish that task with skin tones that contrast less with the available sensors

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

echinopsis posted:

would be good if apps could prevent screenshots so there would be less snapchat things where aomeone trusted someone else
but they weren't trustworthy

lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

hackbunny posted:

yes, it must be something special wrong/different with black people
which human beings have no difficulty whatsoever face-recognizing

"my eyes are up here"

"oh I didn't realize, I'm sorry. It's just that you're black and therefore..."

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
would touchid/facial recognition have been shipped if it only worked for coloured folk?

:thunk:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

if everyone looked the same facial recognition would be easy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BONGHITZ posted:

if everyone looked the same facial recognition would be easy

yeah mate it's trivial to distinguish between identical things

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ynohtna posted:

would touchid/facial recognition have been shipped if it only worked for coloured folk?

:thunk:

This right here always puts the lie to "It's hard! :cry: "

EDIT: Apropos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d16LNHIEJzs

EDIT 2: All the photos of my paternal grandfather looks like the one at 1:29 in the video, he died a few months before I was born and I've never seen his face.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 27, 2017

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
yeah I have a feeling that if we all had poor skin/features contrast, somehow we would have managed to make good color photographic film/facial recognition software

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hackbunny posted:

yeah I have a feeling that if we all had poor skin/features contrast, somehow we would have managed to make good color photographic film/facial recognition software

except i don't think it is a matter of poor contrast in an absolute sense, stuff just gets graded in a way which squashes out contrast in non-white faces, and algorithms get tuned on white faces

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

okay cool go make a computer brain and feed it years of contextual information no big deal its definitely in no way more difficult to accomplish that task with skin tones that contrast less with the available sensors

racism: the easy choice

the only thing that makes techbros angrier than confronting them about their biases is making them do actual work

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Microsoft tried to do good with their Kinect face/body tracking thing by using the IR spectrum instead of visible wavelengths but then some football player demo'd one at some release event and it didn't work. Ended up being because his dreads were in front of his shoulders and absorbed enough IR to throw the whole thing off but the first headlines were basically Kinect Is Racist. Distilling your ability as a brain on legs to interpret a human face in to an algorithm is hard to do and if you are constrained by not having IR data it becomes even harder. "Does is work for black people" is an insanely low bar by current standard and one that everyone should be able to clear out of the gate but there are always going to be problems and the question is how does the company respond, not that they necessarily happened in the first place

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"it's great [when it works]" summarizes the last 20 years of microsoft

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

supposedly the iphone face-thing is infrared based, probably to help with this

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

shuffle & nano were discontinued today. rest in piss

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I know this might be news in YOSPOS but human brains are more sophisticated than computers and if you have a 'trivial' face recognition solution that works for everyone you should patent and license it out to big companies.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now

Microsoft tried to do good with their Kinect face/body tracking thing by using the IR spectrum instead of visible wavelengths but then some football player demo'd one at some release event and it didn't work. Ended up being because his dreads were in front of his shoulders and absorbed enough IR to throw the whole thing off but the first headlines were basically Kinect Is Racist. Distilling your ability as a brain on legs to interpret a human face in to an algorithm is hard to do and if you are constrained by not having IR data it becomes even harder. "Does is work for black people" is an insanely low bar by current standard and one that everyone should be able to clear out of the gate but there are always going to be problems and the question is how does the company respond, not that they necessarily happened in the first place

That was N'Gai Croal, from Newsweek.
He is kind of removed from games journalism now, which is a shame. there is a shortage of AA voices in the mainstream games coverage

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
sorry home-boys, the tech for recognizing black ppl as human just isn't possible yet. now if you'll excuse me, im very busy teaching this self-driving car to recognize a kangaroo

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
facial recognition phone unlocks seem like a bad idea

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

qirex posted:

"it's great [when it works]" summarizes the last 20 years of microsoft

its been my experience that with microsoft even when it works its encumbered by bizarre inadequacies and horrible ui

id be overjoyed with "great when it works"

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

its a bad ux and thats the only reason you need. ps: dont rely on fingerprints for security cuz theyre vulnerable to vacuuming your bank account while your passed out attacks.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

suspicious bfs / gfs will rejoice now that they don't have to even try and gingerly press their sleeping s/o's finger to the sensor

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

seems like you should at least be able to require a certain expression or something for it to work

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ufarn posted:

seems like you should at least be able to require a certain expression or something for it to work

o face

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

shuffle & nano were discontinued today. rest in piss

:rip: rtxc-based iPods. over 400 million sold. your code lives on

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

nano i get, but why the shuffle? it rules for working out. i guess timb just wants me to buy a fuckin watch already

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I don't know the reasons but getting components can be really difficult. the iPod classic was cancelled because they couldn't get hard drives and displays anymore for it. manufacturers shut down older production lines and there's no one to buy from.

besides, the iPod team was dissolved years ago. there's no one to work on them now.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
itunes for windows 10 is easily the most piece of poo poo program i use on a regular basis, and i use IE 11 all day at work

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

I don't know the reasons but getting components can be really difficult. the iPod classic was cancelled because they couldn't get hard drives and displays anymore for it. manufacturers shut down older production lines and there's no one to buy from.

besides, the iPod team was dissolved years ago. there's no one to work on them now.

also sort of apples mo, even if it is a successful and established category, if it makes too little money and does not have potential for growth/innovation get rid of it. a shame, but not that weird

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

everything is impermanent

ufarn
May 30, 2009
you have to see this poo poo to believe it

https://twitter.com/GalaxyKate/status/891348106691960832

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
this Kate Compton person clearly doesn't understand the benefits of being a team player in a unique ~collaboration~ oriented workplace

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol that's horrible

poty
Jun 21, 2008

looks like my office? except 100x prettier

its 2017. google bose quietcomfort. you could set up a nursery next to my desk and i wouldnt notice.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm pretty sure this building is going to be a disaster. looking forward to hearing from people that moved in

poty
Jun 21, 2008

if any distressed apple engineer is looking to quit their job over this very serious disaster!!! just let me know and ill replace you

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh no the programmers might have a hard time concealing that they surf the web for 7 1/2 hours a day from their bosses

what a horrible nightmare

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i just browse for 7 1/2 hours a day from home :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Open layouts were a good idea until multiple monitor workstations were a thing.

Looks awful with all the cables and when you look at one of your side monitors you're essentially staring at the person next to you.

• Locked thread