Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Also the combat sucks but who cares, its an exploration and horror game primarily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

nigga crab pollock posted:

unpopular opinion: the original Prey, like the one with tommy the indian is... Good

it has definitely aged poorly but it is in this bizarre vintage of old school fps game design philosophy while using a modern engine

on one hand, lol tommy the native american. on the other hand, its 2017 and what other game has you shooting mans on the ceiling and ground at the same time

I liked the original Prey for the same reason I liked the alien spaceship scenes in Fire In The Sky.
You feel like a cool and secret interloper dangerously exploring strange and horrifying alien technology.

Can't say much for the combat or plot but the atmosphere was pretty cool.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Evil Zone was a good ps1 fighting game.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

unpopular opinion: the original Prey, like the one with tommy the indian is... Good

it has definitely aged poorly but it is in this bizarre vintage of old school fps game design philosophy while using a modern engine

on one hand, lol tommy the native american. on the other hand, its 2017 and what other game has you shooting mans on the ceiling and ground at the same time

I quite liked Prey 1, even the cheesy "WHO AM IIIIII" intro

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
DOS Wasteland > Wasteland 2

In every way.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Literally A Person posted:

DOS Wasteland > Wasteland 2

In every way.

Nah

But I am pretty sure having an opinion either way on that topic is unpopular

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Copper Vein posted:

Final Fight 3's soundtrack is garbage and several awful tracks get repeated on a laughable number of different stages.

It's.. alright, in my opinion. Not it's strongest point.

Copper Vein posted:

The fighting mechanics seem distinctly nuanced at first, but it are centered around building up a Street Fighter super bar and unleashing power moves. The input for these power moves are also patterned after Street Fighter, and they just don't work well with the extra plane of movement that a brawler has and are very difficult to execute. Maybe some characters' moves are easier to do, but I obviously refused to play as anyone besides the inappropriately dressed girl.

See, I'd have to argue that. Hers was far and away the hardest super to pull off but there was a lot more to the game than the supers; the fact you could pull off a running combo into a regular combo into a grab combo in one fluid set of actions puts it easily at the highest tier for me; if you start playing it using run and specials a lot it comes off more like a 2D Devil May Cry than anything.

I've never quite got the feeling from other brawlers as when you run up with Guy on a boss, lay down like 5 fast hits, then swing to your regular combo, then grab them and kick the poo poo out of them, then hit them with a super combo (since most of the others worked on a grab) and then punched them in the face on the ground in like a 6 second fluid movement.

That said I think Knights of the Round also belongs on the top 5 brawlers of all time for entirely different reasons. If you got good at blocking and parrying in that game you could nearly beat the whole thing on a single quarter despite being tough as balls, the mark of a good game.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

unpopular opinion: the original Prey, like the one with tommy the indian is... Goode

Why is that unpopular? It was a pretty great game despite some funny concepts and being way too easy with respawns. But it was highly memorable and there's been nothing that has played with physics-bending like Prey ever again; even Portal didn't get as funky with portals as the original Prey. What other game can you sprint off the floor down the wall and into a crate which happens to be a portal to an entire room?

I am forever going to be bitter about them canceling the original Prey 2. The story sounded great, the game looked great and the idea was great. I've heard it was behind the scenes drama and I believe it.

ED: Let's take a moment of silence to remember Prey 0 and Prey 0.5, both getting canned after lingering DNR style at 3D Realms.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 27, 2017

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dracula X on the SNES is fun

Not as awesome as the TurboDuo one but still, the SNES one isn't that bad

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

I liked the original Prey for the same reason I liked the alien spaceship scenes in Fire In The Sky.
You feel like a cool and secret interloper dangerously exploring strange and horrifying alien technology.

Can't say much for the combat or plot but the atmosphere was pretty cool.

The atmosphere was great in Prey. I really loved having the late night radio call-in show bits.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Symphony of the Night is a great game but it ruined the Castlevania series by permanently changing it to an action rpg

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CowboyAndy posted:

The atmosphere was great in Prey. I really loved having the late night radio call-in show bits.

Why the gently caress did they have to release a completely unassociated game that's clearly a rip-off of System Shock, not Prey, as Prey?

Was it like the Roger Corman Fantastic Four and that was the only way to keep the IP or something?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I loved Streets of Rage 3 with Zan and his rollerskates!

I loved the OG Prey with all its fuckin' whack-a-doodle guns. I also really liked the respawn mechanic of having to fight your way out of ghost town, because like, it's not actually any easier than reloading a savegame, its just more fluid and fun. Like, backtracking because I died isn't fun. It's a chore. A game like that, a single player on-rails shooter, I just wanna shoot at poo poo and see the next bit.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Player Unknowns Battlegrounds is a extremely over rated game because of idiots that like running around for 20 minutes before someone kills them in 0.5 seconds, hoping that they will be the one to kill someone in 0.5 seconds

It's a bigger waste of time than EvE online and that's saying a lot.

The calls of "GIT GUD" come from autists that like spending 99.9% of their time anticipating something

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 27, 2017

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Space Crabs posted:

Player Unknowns Battlegrounds is a extremely over rated game because of idiots that like running around for 20 minutes before someone kills them in 0.5 seconds, hoping that they will be the one to kill someone in 0.5 seconds

The calls of "GIT GUD" come from autists that like spending 99.9% of their time anticipating something

Its got a lot of bad elements, but not any of the ones youre listing.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Matches take at most 30 minutes. What in the HELL are you even talking about with this 99.5% nothing happening bullshit. Compared to games its similar to PUBG is snappy as hell

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Space Crabs posted:

thanks for sharing

not

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
The new NIER is poo poo and only people who think anime archetypes constitute fully formed characters are capable of enjoying the writing. The gameplay is tedious in the extreme and easily broken with the healing upgrades. The world is ugly and forgettable and making you grind through the first act twice with about 15 minutes of bonus content in the form of document dumps was straight up sadistic and in no way helped the plot other than to artificially lengthen the game and force you to use 9S's terrible hacking mini games so that common encounters don't have half a goddamn hour.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 27, 2017

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Cymbal Monkey posted:

The new NIER is poo poo and only people who think anime archetypes constitute fully formed characters are capable of enjoying the writing. The gameplay is tedious in the extreme and easily broken with the healing upgrades. The world is ugly and forgettable and making you grind through the first act twice with about 15 minutes of bonus content in the form of document dumps was straight up sadistic.

Counterpoint: The robot is really sexy

Mokbek
Dec 19, 2014

Call Me The Shocker
PUBG is straight up just an overrated copy of all the other Battle Royale games previously released, but it's just a bit faster.

It brings nothing new to the table and is doomed to be completely abandoned once the next big YouTuber/streamer friendly game comes along.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mokbek posted:

PUBG is straight up just an overrated copy of all the other Battle Royale games previously released, but it's just a bit faster.

It brings nothing new to the table and is doomed to be completely abandoned once the next big YouTuber/streamer friendly game comes along.

I never understood this argument, like, if I get a good six months out of a game I really cant give a gently caress if it gets abandoned

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

*sits in darkened apartment, biding his time until the next quake 3 comes out*

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
will people defending that irredeemable garbage PUBG be the next "um actually RTS are good" type screeds in this thread

tune in at 11:00 to find out

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is PUBG a reboot of Pogs or something

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Pogs were cool

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Space Crabs posted:

will people defending that irredeemable garbage PUBG be the next "um actually RTS are good" type screeds in this thread

The only RTS i ever enjoyed playing was warcraft 3

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Space Crabs posted:

How about you post a real problem with PUBG instead of going "Uhh nothing ever happens and the games take too long" which is insane considering its the snappiest of this type of game to exist

Like I said theres a million things you could rip PUBG on like the forced third person perspective allowing people to peek over hills and around corners constantly, the horribly optimized engine, the recently unveiled money grubbing scheme, and on and on but no, you said something dumb and you got corrected.

Mokbek
Dec 19, 2014

Call Me The Shocker

Meme Emulator posted:

Like I said theres a million things you could rip PUBG on like the forced third person perspective allowing people to peek over hills and around corners constantly, the horribly optimized engine, the recently unveiled money grubbing scheme, and on and on but no, you said something dumb and you got corrected.

Seems to me those are more reasons to not play PUBG.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

How about you post a real problem with PUBG instead of going "Uhh nothing ever happens and the games take too long" which is insane considering its the snappiest of this type of game to exist

Sorry you like a lovely game, but "The Least Boring of the Genre" doesn't mean the game isn't boring.

The smallest turd of a pile still tastes like poo poo.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Space Crabs posted:

Sorry you like a lovely game, but "The Least Boring of the Genre" doesn't mean the game isn't boring.

The smallest turd of a pile still tastes like poo poo.

Im saying your argument is lovely, not that the game is good. Thats why I ripped into it with many good arguments of my own, but youre still trying to post as if I care about it. Thats not the point im trying to make at all, please open your eyes and read the posts.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Its like you are trying to talk poo poo about mario 64 by saying the controls were bad

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So the guy posted about one "problem" that isn't even a problem or at worst a problem to only a subsection of players, while completely ignoring several blatant issues that go all the way down to the engine code.

Sounds to me like he's qualified to be a Lead Game Designer at basically any AAA studio.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Like send him to work at Ubisoft

*For Honor releases, blows in almost every capacity. Horrific netcode, faction war with no mechanics, terrible balance issues, numerous exploits, hostile gear system...*

"Hmm I guess the only thing we need to do is release Ranked Mode! That and absolutely no further effort on our part will turn the game around!"

- A game designer paid real money by a professional corporation.

E: forgot to mention a real AAA release in tyool 2017 asking players, even on CONSOLES, to improve their NAT settings if they can't get matches, with instructions on how to do. lmao

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 27, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

Im saying your argument is lovely, not that the game is good. Thats why I ripped into it with many good arguments of my own, but youre still trying to post as if I care about it. Thats not the point im trying to make at all, please open your eyes and read the posts.

Let me tell you repeatedly how little I care as I shrink into the tumbleweed that blows by during 99.9% of the play time in PUBG

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

Most games (but especially open-world games) have far, far too much combat. I understand why developers do it (because most gamers have the attention span of a goldfish and get bored if they haven't killed something in the last five minutes), but it gets silly when you can't go more than a few yards without being jumped by monsters. Even games where the narrative would suggest fewer encounters fall victim to it. I remember riding my horse through a length of forest in "The Last of Us," trying to soak in the atmosphere of a world most depopulated of humans, and having to stop every twenty seconds to kill some random assholes. Most of the time they aren't even interesting fights; they're pure filler. I would much rather have fewer--but more challenging and meaningful combat encounters--than an endless stream of trash mobs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jimmy Noskill posted:

Most games (but especially open-world games) have far, far too much combat. I understand why developers do it (because most gamers have the attention span of a goldfish and get bored if they haven't killed something in the last five minutes), but it gets silly when you can't go more than a few yards without being jumped by monsters. Even games where the narrative would suggest fewer encounters fall victim to it. I remember riding my horse through a length of forest in "The Last of Us," trying to soak in the atmosphere of a world most depopulated of humans, and having to stop every twenty seconds to kill some random assholes. Most of the time they aren't even interesting fights; they're pure filler. I would much rather have fewer--but more challenging and meaningful combat encounters--than an endless stream of trash mobs.

Agree with the whole thing.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Prey would have been a hell of a lot better if the monsters were a lot deadlier and a lot more rare

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I got around to playing the Ocarina of Time remake on 3DS a year or so ago, and it was good, but way overhyped.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I sometimes think it's been a long time since I've seen someone in pubg, but when I look at the clock it has been like five minutes max

Just land at the school if you want more action? Think about it a little harder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
GTAV is 4 years old and I can get online in a packed free-aim session any time. If a game dies after 6 months then it's a bad game imo, recent ones that come to mind are For Honor & Battlefront.