Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rhyno posted:

It's not just a problem in fiction bro. My fiance's best friend was adopted and her parents treated her like a goddamned slave until she was able to escape to college.

And when graduated they presented her with a bill for the expenses she had run up over the years.
How do you do that and not realize that it's you - you are the bad guy - you're the monster. Is getting hold of X thousands of dollars that fundamentally important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pubic works project posted:

Get off your high horse dude. You're reaching on this without the entire story. I'm saying that I'm not going to get into a loving goon fest argument with you (because that's all you look for half the time). Now once this is all resolved, then we can talk.

Not really, no. I'm tired of people going "oh gosh none of this means anything it's just a comic book!!" only when it's convenient to them. Comic books still say things and people only use that argument when they want to avoid having to actually discuss things. I also like how you went "I'm not getting into this!!" after posting (twice) something I edited out to avoid actually starting this conversation and then claimed you weren't' looking for an argument.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

ImpAtom posted:

Not really, no. I'm tired of people going "oh gosh none of this means anything it's just a comic book!!" only when it's convenient to them. Comic books still say things and people only use that argument when they want to avoid having to actually discuss things. I also like how you went "I'm not getting into this!!" after posting (twice) something I edited out to avoid actually starting this conversation and then claimed you weren't' looking for an argument.

:btroll: :btroll: :btroll: :btroll: :btroll:

Cool story.

In other news, am I alone in my thoughts that Soranik is probably possessed by Parallax?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

After reading the Chris Kent Wikipedia summary, this new 52 version has to be completely new and probably never met Lois and Clark. He hasn't even meet Zod.

It's not an adopted kid story, just Zod's son

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How is it that both threads went off on someone's random speculation at the same time?

I really, really, really don't want to be E&C but maybe read the thing you're getting mad about first? At least for this it wouldn't have to be Secret Empire.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

:btroll: :btroll: :btroll: :btroll: :btroll:

Cool story.

In other news, am I alone in my thoughts that Soranik is probably possessed by Parallax?

So you're doing the "be intentionally abrasive and acting like an idiot when you get called out on it" thing. Gotcha.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

After reading the Chris Kent Wikipedia summary, this new 52 version has to be completely new and probably never met Lois and Clark. He hasn't even meet Zod.

Yeah, which goes back to what I said before. Reintroducing the character as an alternate version to be the Zod Jr to Jon's Superman Jr is basically emphasizing "no, don't worry, this character won't be coming back to be a fake son. Superman has his real biological son now." It's a problem I've had with Jon from the start despite genuinely liking the character in that it felt a lot like they were looking for an excuse to do that.

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised but it's not a good first impression and DC's poor track record for characters from that era doesn't give me a ton of faith.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

LorZod: Convergence

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

ImpAtom posted:

So you're doing the "be intentionally abrasive and acting like an idiot when you get called out on it" thing. Gotcha.

No it's pretty much just with you because you act like a know-it-all in all these threads and attack others when their opinions don't match up with your own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No it's pretty much just with you because you act like a know-it-all in all these threads and attack others when their opinions don't match up with your own.

Not really no. You're the one who made a bunch of weird aggressive comments and pushed to keep this going. (Also seriously, 'a know-it-all?' Are we back in 3rd grade?)

I don't think this storyline sounds very good and it builds off a worry I had from the moment they gave Superman a biological kid basically at the same time as a reboot. I haven't been as impressed with Action Comics as a lot of people (though i think it's fun or I wouldn't be buying it, and I actually did purchase and read this issue on my lunch break. I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to express that and say why I don't think it sounds very good without being a dreaded know-it-all.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Today I also learned Chris Kent was created by Richard Donner

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Stop before you hit the submit reply button and re-read your post. If your post is about another poster and not about DC comics, then don't post it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Just finished Action. I really don't think they'll touch on the Chris-aspect at all. I figure if they were going to, he would have said "Chris...!" or something when they reveal themselves. He clearly recognizes only Ursa (where the gently caress is Non?!?!?! :doom:) and she introduces her son as Lor-Zod.

Things get so confusing now with Rebirth because it isn't a traditional reboot (yet) like the N52 was. This is still the N52 Earth and they're introducing pre-N52 elements in. I'm still confused because I'm reading the collected volumes of books like Green Lantern and Batman and I have no clue what has changed and what has stayed. Did Hal turn into Parallax still? Was all the Corps killed? Was Kyle the last GL?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just finished Action. I really don't think they'll touch on the Chris-aspect at all. I figure if they were going to, he would have said "Chris...!" or something when they reveal themselves. He clearly recognizes only Ursa (where the gently caress is Non?!?!?! :doom:) and she introduces her son as Lor-Zod.

Things get so confusing now with Rebirth because it isn't a traditional reboot (yet) like the N52 was. This is still the N52 Earth and they're introducing pre-N52 elements in. I'm still confused because I'm reading the collected volumes of books like Green Lantern and Batman and I have no clue what has changed and what has stayed. Did Hal turn into Parallax still? Was all the Corps killed? Was Kyle the last GL?

There isn't an actual answer to any of those questions I think because it keeps changing. There have been stories which reference both. I think they kinda solidified on "it happened sort of but not in the same way."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The answer is yes for everything happening when it comes to GL and Batman.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

There isn't an actual answer to any of those questions I think because it keeps changing. There have been stories which reference both. I think they kinda solidified on "it happened sort of but not in the same way."

Mr Hootington posted:

The answer is yes for everything happening when it comes to GL and Batman.

Ugh that is so annoying because 10 years has been taken from everyone. That's a lot of poo poo to cram into the GL timeline now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm reading the late 80s Captain Atom series and 27 issues and 2 annuals in there is a plot point that really has the Captain's butt clenched. Captain Atom's best friend and godfather of captain atom's children Goz is going to marry Captain Atom's daughter Peggy.

Now Captain Atom is not pleased by this news for two reasons:
1. Goz is twice Peggy's age.
2. Goz is black.

No wonder he was supposed to be the bad guy in Armageddon 2001.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Also Chris was last hanging with mon el and they have not gotten into the legion yet, and there is a good chance if they bring him back it will be in Supergirl.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The point is that Superman and Lois, who seem to have all their pre-Flashpoint memories, should remember Lor-Zod, even if this incarnation never escaped the Phantom Zone. In fact, it would probably really suck to see that in this new universe, he never escaped his lovely parents and learned what having real friends and family is like as their son and as Nightwing.

Also, it's not entirely out of the question that Lor-Zod would have Christ Kent's memories, as after that idiocy with Mxlsptlyk, Henshaw regained his pre-Flashpoint memories and turned himself back into Cyborg Superman, which was also loving stupid.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Hell yea glad to see this thread is getting as lovely as the Marvel one.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

fadam posted:

Hell yea glad to see this thread is getting as lovely as the Marvel one.

e: I broke the rule

quote:

Stop before you hit the submit reply button and re-read your post. If your post is about another poster and not about DC comics, then don't post it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Autism Sneaks posted:

The point is that Superman and Lois, who seem to have all their pre-Flashpoint memories, should remember Lor-Zod, even if this incarnation never escaped the Phantom Zone.

Yeah I forgot about that, but wouldn't the "Superman Reborn" stuff fix that oversight? He's been merged now with N52 Superman and I would think it removes the last vestige of Convergence.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Yeah I forgot about that, but wouldn't the "Superman Reborn" stuff fix that oversight? He's been merged now with N52 Superman and I would think it removes the last vestige of Convergence.

When I try to think of how "Superman Reborn" worked, or rather didn't, I want to shoot myself with a Radion bullet fired through time

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ookyy this got off the rails in a way I hadn't anticipated. :stare: Lol where was all this passion and defense on Chris' behalf all those years ago when he was consigned to limbo hell? I for sure had the impression no one but me even cared about him.

Because, look...I really liked Chris Kent and his whole storyline especially because it was so fuCKIING FITTIng for Clark Kent of all people to adopt a child and then influence him into goodness. So, yes, my immediate reaction to "that character" here -- insofar that this character shares his unused birth name and basic origin and is otherwise unlike him in every way -- was a great big heaping of annoyance. In fact, my specific thought was that this was like a New52ification of the character, which is just about the most insulting thing I can think to say against anything in a comic book.

That being said: I do think it's a wee bit too soon to abandon this idea to the poo poo pit.
A) I agree with [insert people who said what I'm about to say] that Clark and Lois don't seem to have adopted Chris before in this new Rebirthborn continuity. In which case, it's not completely fair to say that this retcon means adopted kids are shittier than bio kids or something, since the whole suggestion from it would be that Chris became the way he is here because he hadn't been adopted and was raised by his emo tyrant birth parents.

B) But I do also agree that Chris seems to have been treated more shabbily by the overall story through the years because he was never seen as Clark and Lois' "real" son and that this sort of thing would never happen to Jon, who has been treated as far more ""legitimately"" Clark and Lois' """son""" (I can't possibly use more scare-quotes here) by DC just because they gave birth to him. And that does suck a lot. The whole point of Chris' character before was that he was Superman's son and not Zod's son, even if he had Zod's genes. DC in general has a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really bad problem with saying that the children of bad people are automatically destined to be bad. It just keeps on happening. Chris was one of the rare and refreshing instances of that not happening. And now...I guess he's not?

C) But still, while Chris...or, okay, Lor...looks kinda smug and snarky here, he literally hasn't said anything here yet other than "Father!" once. We do not know what his actual personality is at all. We don't know how evil or un-evil he is or how he might be still "saved" by Superman's family. Because, as much as I joke about wanting to see him and Jon punch each other -- and I still kinda definitely do wanna see that -- I think the true story here will hinge on how Jon and Clark are going to react to him, on whether they'll be able to reach him even with all that emo tyrant upbringing he's had. I don't know if I'm being overly optimistic, but I just cannot imagine Dan Jurgens looking at this child character and thinking "Yeah, Superman's just gonna punch him and that'll be that." Which is why, as much as this development irks me on the surface, I'm still really looking forward to seeing what happens because I do believe Jurgens could potentially spin this into something golden. Hopefully it's a bit more Prince Zuko than Draco Malfoy, but hey I'll take either one.

D) Ultimately, I'm just happy to see the character again, no matter the circumstances. Unless a story you're in is seriously lovely -- and I don't think this story is seriously lovely yet -- I do think that anything's better than just being completely forgotten by the writers. As long as you're remembered, there's hope. Lots of DC characters can attest to that, and lots of DC characters can attest to the opposite as well. :saddowns:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 28, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god the name doesn't matter, the child clearly exists so there can be a 3-on-3 Superman family vs Zod family showdown (Lois will get yet another power armor of course). And it's gonna be cool.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Good thing this isn't the good Superman book.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Roth posted:

Good thing this isn't the good Superman book.

Not every book can be New Super-Man :sigh:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Autism Sneaks posted:

Not every book can be New Super-Man :sigh:

gently caress you, I wanted to make that twist zinger

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like Chis Kent just fine, I just find it hard to be all torn up about him when I want Conner back much more.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
e^^ at least Kon-El has appeared in the New 52. He even got his own book and a crossover with Superman and Supergirl's books. What's he even up to these days?

Roth posted:

You can't set up the joke and deliver the punchline!

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 28, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Roth posted:

Twist zinger or not, I'm actually enjoying the heck out of New Super-Man.

...am I the only one?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm finally hopping on the trade that just came out and yeah, New Super-Man seems to be the signature DC story Gene Yang had in him all along (as opposed to his relatively filler Superman arc).

Good stuff!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

New Super-Man owns

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Twist zinger or not, I'm actually enjoying the heck out of New Super-Man.

...am I the only one?

New Super-man is amazing and I recommend it to everyone I can.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's good but I'll probably drop it after it finishes the current story arc. I was mainly interested in Kong's journey to be a true hero, and I feel like we're very close. Once he gets there I kind of want to leave it at that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I like Chis Kent just fine, I just find it hard to be all torn up about him when I want Conner back much more.

Same.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

New Super-Man is unironically my favorite Super book right now.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
New Super-Man is my favorite stealth Journey to the West adaptation

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Madkal posted:

Didn't he adopt Cassandra as well?

edit: Tim Drake is the best Robin.

Cass got adopted before the nu52, right in the lead up to Bruce dying. I don't remember it being brought up again after that.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Autism Sneaks posted:

The point is that Superman and Lois, who seem to have all their pre-Flashpoint memories, should remember Lor-Zod, even if this incarnation never escaped the Phantom Zone. In fact, it would probably really suck to see that in this new universe, he never escaped his lovely parents and learned what having real friends and family is like as their son and as Nightwing.

Also, it's not entirely out of the question that Lor-Zod would have Christ Kent's memories, as after that idiocy with Mxlsptlyk, Henshaw regained his pre-Flashpoint memories and turned himself back into Cyborg Superman, which was also loving stupid.

I thought it was dumb he made himself look like Superman again instead of being cyborg Henshaw or maybe getting Kryptonian powers. I mean I get he has a fixation on Superman and all but his deepest wish is to go back exactly to what he was before which has never worked out too well? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Autism Sneaks posted:

Supes and Lois definitely don't have all their pre-flashpoint memories anymore. That's part of the point of Reborn, whatever stuff from Pre-flashpoint they don't want or aren't ready to bring back got scrubbed from their minds with the merger and universal realignment to their stupid rear end situation.