Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

-*- Incidentally, be sure to expand that acronym out to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy if you Google it. Otherwise you'll get results more apropos to your avatar, DT.

I don't want to know what CBT Nuggets are in combiantion with DT's avatar :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

oh rly posted:

Most companies running ServiceNow have 3 instances - dev, test, and prod. If your team members can't get the environments correct, don't expect to get automation up and running.

Oh we have separate instances, but right now it's testing against our live AD - not ideal for something that can go horribly wrong and quickly.

I'll be forcing them to do it right: testing against a test domain and restricting the service account rights to the specific delegations it needs instead of domain admin.

Plus it looks like someone else has already put in the work to make my life way easier so we can test against real accounts in our test domain: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/AD-Mirror-PowerShell-Module-331b1b12

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Is it not common knowledge that refunds to credit cards are not instant and can take a business day or two? (at least in the US)

One of my many responsibilities is handling credit card issues. A few times a month we get calls from angry customers wondering why the refund they just did 10 minutes ago doesn't appear on their credit card yet.

Today a customer came into one of our stores yelling and cussing at everyone in sight. He was pissed the return he had done at 6PM the day prior hasn't showed up on his card yet. (We settle transactions at 9PM) He accused the cashier of stealing his refund. The store manager told him refunds take 1-3 business days typically to appear. Customer claimed to have "worked at a bank" and that it wasn't true.

Amount of the refund? $18....

I hate credit cards.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Dick Trauma posted:

Thank you for sharing that. I really do want to stop suffering. It would be much nicer to feel ok most of the time.

Dick, I'm in my 50s and I was in that place. I tried therapy, found a doctor that got me on antidepressants and did nothing else. Then I got fed up and found a psychiatrist that got me off the meds and actually did talk therapy and I feel better now than I have in the last 30+ years. Finding that good therapist can be rough, but they are out there. Keep swinging, we're all here for you too.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Okay, we made our own beds on this one but it still pisses me off.

Department Network drives are all mapped as the I:\ drive for users. When someone emails to give someone else access, they always say "On the I:\ drive, blah blah blah", but half the time, there's no way to determine what department they're talking about just from the email. Further, the system was set up so long ago half the I:\ drive names only bear the slightest resemblance to current department names. I'm at the point where my first step is to go to AD and see what script is associated with their account.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Our solution to that 15 years ago when there was a practical limit to how much storage a single server could export was each user or group got a "project id" which effectively a random four digit number. They ask for some space, we carve out a volume, export it as /project/6969. Worked great because when a ticket came in it was trivial to figure out where to look.

Then time passes and the amount of storage that can be provided has scaled up dramatically, to the point we have an entire group that manages it. They're slowly bringing everything towards a "one export to rule them all, and users get to pick the namespace" model and I'm quietly waiting for it to blow up in their face.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Super Slash posted:

My brother in law who I'd describe as being cripplingly anti-social ... works tech support.

Checks out

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
First, a story of things pissing me off;

Yeah, we also had another "incredible tales of stupid" yesterday; We had someone open a phishing email for docusign yesterday, the person that opened it? A Business Analyst. My padawan runs upstairs, pulls the plug on his system and starts doing triage, telling him to not touch his computer.
Suddenly more spam email is coming from the BA again, padawan goes back to his desk, dude turned on his wireless because he thought the infection only worked over his wired connection. He's the loving BA for engineering and IT. I could have punched him in the face.
The BA literally said this to me an hour later: "I tried like 4 or 5 of my passwords when I followed the link but none of them worked, then I got suspicious"
I think he saw the vein in my forehead pulse and he left the IT area.

Second; Dick, I'm about to hit 50 myself and I've been a lot of the places you've been. CBT was a godsend for me, I hated purely talk therapy and a doubly hated being medicated. There are jobs out there for you, I know it doesn't seem like it right now, but they exist. Find a remote only job or mostly remote job where you travel in every now and then if you have to. No matter what, get the gently caress out of where you are. That place and how it's run is most of the problem.

edit, Third; I love my padawan, he's trying really hard, but sometimes I want to smack the poo poo out of him. Got a complaint from a remote office that they're having trouble reaching some websites. Akamai sites. Our public IP has been blacklisted down there, so I go looking. There's no filtering, no botnet protection, nothing on the brand new firewall we just deployed down there not two months ago. I talk to him about it, and get this response: "TIL web filtering, IPS, application control, etc are not enabled by default" I'm going to block reddit, I swear to god.

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 27, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Wait, did he actually say "Tee Eye Ell" or "today I learned?" If the former, block reddit and fire Padawan in to marketing, ballistic style.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Wait, did he actually say "Tee Eye Ell" or "today I learned?" If the former, block reddit and fire Padawan in to marketing, ballistic style.

:(

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Haha, whoops, got in trouble for speaking the truth today. People we're complaining about not being ready for the Git switch over this weekend, despite there being a copy of our repo on GitHub for a month to practice on, so my manager started talking about pushing it back. I said that if we push it back because not everyone is comfortable due to not taking any time to touch it, that it is just going to be pushed back indefinitely because pushing it back a month is just another month the team can ignore the test repo.

I was notified after the meeting that this was an unacceptable attitude.

The other development teams have already migrated, but they each had a team lead on the team that decided on and planned the git migration. My team has no team lead, which has resulted in me ending up with lots of the responsibilities of one despite being the lowest ranked person on our team. I have no authority to force anything through on my team.

I'm currently looking for a new job because I'm getting sick of this place.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

poo poo that pisses me off is the team that I rely on to bring work in being unable to write in a way that reads well, is accurate, or spelt correctly. How difficult is it to pick a writing style and tense and stick to it?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A ticket came in...

Now this particular customer is a beauty salon chain, so with the chemicals they have around I have absolutely no trouble believing that something got spilled which melted plastic parts or similar. I rescheduled some lower priority trips and headed out to the site.

I get there and all of their computers look just fine. The person who put in the complaint is not there of course, so we're left guessing what she actually meant.

The best guess any of us could come up with was that she was referring to this damage on the mouse:

Which is pretty clearly from a physical impact.

On the plus side, while I was out on site our main contact at their corporate office added this to the ticket:

At least the people who pay the bills seem to understand what we're dealing with...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I sent an email to the CEO and copied in our general counsel and the consultant. I've been working with KnowBe4 on taking advantage of their free phishing and USB flash drive social engineering tests. We've been hit with alot of phishing emails, and accounting actually fell for one and wired money to China. I think they were able to stop the process but still...

So in the email I made it clear that the initial tests were free, and if based on the results we wanted to engage them for training and more tests it would be less than $3k per year.

General counsel immediately walked down to the consultant's office which is close to mine and barked "This is a total waste right?" and the consultant immediately sent me an email chiding me for including the CEO.

They think I'm incompetent. They think I'm so incompetent that it's not even worth talking to me. In my 2+ years here no one has spoken to me about my performance, never talked to me about my abilities, my plans for the future. They know nothing about me personally or professionally, but they are very comfortable with having identified me as someone to eliminate.

They think I'm Tony.

I feel like I'm on the wrong planet. How could things be so upside down?

EDIT: Counsel just came to my office to drop an approval off. Said nothing. What cowards.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Dick Trauma posted:

I sent an email to the CEO and copied in our general counsel and the consultant. I've been working with KnowBe4 on taking advantage of their free phishing and USB flash drive social engineering tests. We've been hit with alot of phishing emails, and accounting actually fell for one and wired money to China. I think they were able to stop the process but still...

So in the email I made it clear that the initial tests were free, and if based on the results we wanted to engage them for training and more tests it would be less than $3k per year.

General counsel immediately walked down to the consultant's office which is close to mine and barked "This is a total waste right?" and the consultant immediately sent me an email chiding me for including the CEO.

They think I'm incompetent. They think I'm so incompetent that it's not even worth talking to me. In my 2+ years here no one has spoken to me about my performance, never talked to me about my abilities, my plans for the future. They know nothing about me personally or professionally, but they are very comfortable with having identified me as someone to eliminate.

They think I'm Tony.

I feel like I'm on the wrong planet. How could things be so upside down?

EDIT: Counsel just came to my office to drop an approval off. Said nothing. What cowards.

People who don't know what they are doing tend to project that onto others. Relax, it isn't you, it is them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I decided to be bold.

I went into Counsel's office and asked "Are you annoyed with me? I have the feeling I've done something that's bothering you and I didn't want to let it lie."

He said that I'd done nothing wrong, everything was fine, he's just busy. I pointed out that he and I rarely work together so it wouldn't be easy for me to read him, but that it's important to me to keep lines of communication open.

He insisted everything was fine. Despite knowing that he was lying through his drat teeth I decided to forge ahead. I said that he and the consultant had been giving me a weird vibe, how I'd had to practically beg the consultant to be included in his planning, how when he asked me questions they were vague, and he appeared disinterested in the answers. Like he was giving me busy work.

I said "I feel like the train's leaving the station and I'm not on it."

He feigned being surprised and concerned. Told me that technology has to be a low priority compared to all the major changes the consultant is recommending and that I should just follow the consultant's lead. He said point blank "There's no train leaving the station. If I ever had a problem with you I would tell you."

Coward. Goddamn coward.

I expect this will accelerate my exit. I have an appointment to speak with the CEO Monday afternoon but this will probably trigger a crisis.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Russia just put a bill before Putin that will ban all proxies and VPN traffic in the country.

I don't think they know how much poo poo VPNs are used for, but I have popcorn ready.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

chin up everything sucks posted:

Russia just put a bill before Putin that will ban all proxies and VPN traffic in the country.

I don't think they know how much poo poo VPNs are used for, but I have popcorn ready.

so like china

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would assume it's targeted mostly at private citizens while companies and finance institutions will get exemptions.

Guarantee there's folks in the US bureaucracy that would like to do the same thing but they know it's political suicide.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

so like china

China doesn't ban VPNs, they just require all the VPN providers to register with the state and block sites that china doesn't allow.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dick Trauma posted:

I decided to be bold.

I went into Counsel's office and asked "Are you annoyed with me? I have the feeling I've done something that's bothering you and I didn't want to let it lie."

He said that I'd done nothing wrong, everything was fine, he's just busy. I pointed out that he and I rarely work together so it wouldn't be easy for me to read him, but that it's important to me to keep lines of communication open.

He insisted everything was fine. Despite knowing that he was lying through his drat teeth I decided to forge ahead. I said that he and the consultant had been giving me a weird vibe, how I'd had to practically beg the consultant to be included in his planning, how when he asked me questions they were vague, and he appeared disinterested in the answers. Like he was giving me busy work.

I said "I feel like the train's leaving the station and I'm not on it."

He feigned being surprised and concerned. Told me that technology has to be a low priority compared to all the major changes the consultant is recommending and that I should just follow the consultant's lead. He said point blank "There's no train leaving the station. If I ever had a problem with you I would tell you."

Coward. Goddamn coward.

I expect this will accelerate my exit. I have an appointment to speak with the CEO Monday afternoon but this will probably trigger a crisis.

Yeah, rocking the boat is good for the soul but not always for the wallet. A coward who won't say something is wrong to your face will feel the need to do it behind your back. His next stop was to the CEO to tell him about your talk.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I assume so. But I think about the last place and how I went out of there silently, as if I had something to be ashamed about. At the Tony place I at least went down fighting.

I just wanted to speak up, and maybe give counsel a little bit of pit sweat to be put on the spot. I know I'm still getting flushed down the toilet, and probably much sooner.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

xzzy posted:

I would assume it's targeted mostly at private citizens while companies and finance institutions will get pay hefty fees or promise political favors for exemptions.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
poo poo pissing me off: I done hosed up but good. I was doing an upgrade on a piece of software that relies upon an Oracle server being in place. Now, when it comes to Oracle, I am like a child with a stick of dynamite, and a lighter: I know just enough to be dangerous. So, before we do this upgrade (on a test instance, thank God), I go to do a quick RMAN backup, and discover a lack of space. So, browsing through, I see, like, six Oracle servers on the drive (we use two). I talk to my coworker, and he says that my predecessor had created most of those when attempting to stand back up a server that had been broken by a .net framework issue (you can probably already see where this is going). So, I go through the TNSnames files on this server, confirm that the servers aren't being pointed to by anything from outside the company on our web interfaces, determine which servers we're actually using, and proceed to delete the other databases off of this machine in order to free up some space. As soon as I finish doing this, we get an email from our training supervisor that he was training a bunch of people, and they just lost connection to the server, and couldn't reconnect. I start diving through various configuration files, only to discover that one of these databases was our primary training database. And then, we start getting in a flood of reports that there are issues with our client application for our production database crashing repeatedly (which is hosted on an entirely different physical server). Both of these things are my responsibility, and now I'm terrified that something in production was pointing to something in test or train that I just broke.

My boss was super sympathetic and helpful, and the boss for the other half of the IT team asked if I needed anyone to do some things for me (which I did). Thankfully, I stood the test database server back up, got them connected to that for now, and did my loving damnedest to get the production issue sorted out; it basically petered out on its own, and I have no idea what the gently caress was causing it (our software vendor suggested an IIS reset, which I'm doing tonight, but they were just as confused as I was). Of course, we also patched last night, so I was running through anything there that could have caused the issue.

This is not helping my imposter syndrome. This really could have been avoided by me just logging into our training server and verifying the configuration there, and I am just so goddamned angry at myself for not doing it. Lesson loving learned. Thank God this wasn't on production.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

(I apologize for this being such a long post. If I shouldn't do this here please let me know.)

On my way home from work I was still quite upset. All these bad thoughts were swirling through my mind. I felt humiliated to find out that the top people think I'm incompetent, angry that they were unwilling to own up to it. I was thinking about terrible people from prior jobs, the way I was mistreated.

I thought: "I will never be able to sleep tonight with all this loud negativity in my head."

I usually go to the gym before work but I skipped this morning. So I decided to go as soon as I got home. I changed and walked to the gym. On my way I considered how even many years after I still sometimes think about shitheads from other jobs that have screwed me over. Not obsessively, not intensely but I still think of them. I asked myself "Do they still think of me?"

No. I expect that even in the worst case, after a year since my departure none of them probably ever thought about me again, even though I sometimes thought about them. And thinking about them and how they treated me caused me new pain. Maybe not much, but it still hurt. It struck me that as long as I continued to think about them I extended the length of time they had influence over my state of mind. I've extended that influence far, far longer than they had ever thought about me. It's a completely one-sided situation. I'm the only one still suffering from it.

At the gym I worked out hard and was already thinking about my next interview. How would I explain getting fired? The answer came easily. I even considered how I could expand on the answer without poo poo-talking my former employer. No one wants to hear that sort of negativity in an interview. I think I've proven I'm good at getting jobs. I'm not afraid to get fired. I expect it will be like tearing a bandaid off.

Maybe it will be tomorrow, next week, next year. I don't know. Maybe they'll get distracted. Maybe I've badly misread the situation and it will never happen. What I know is that since I intend to stay until I have another job I have to be able to endure the punishment without such a strong emotional reaction. Their opinion can affect my employment, but it should not affect me personally.

I know I'm not incompetent. I know because of the results. Systems that work. Servers that don't go down. Files are not getting lost, email not disappearing. Laptops and desktops that run and run and run. Phone calls aren't getting dropped. Incompetent people do not produce good results. Incompetent I.T. people do not oversee stable, productive systems. They don't look for ways to save money without compromising performance. They don't keep their servers patched, their firmware up to date, the batteries in their UPS fresh and tested. They don't get security tests of their network because they don't want to know if there are problems. They want to hide them.

It's not arrogance to say that the people at my current job are not qualified to judge me. They know nothing about me personally or professionally. How could they when they never talk to me? I bet none of them even know if I'm married, or how old I am. They know nothing. That won't stop them from forming an opinion, but it is an uninformed opinion. And when I leave this job it will not matter what they think of me. Ever. They are essentially strangers with an unfortunate power over my employment.

I will do what I can to retain my equilibrium through whatever happens in the next little while, until I get fired or find another job. I will work really hard at it, and when this job is done I will work just as hard at leaving it behind. I don't want to carry these worthless people in my head anymore. None of them ever earned it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dick Trauma posted:

(I apologize for this being such a long post. If I shouldn't do this here please let me know.)

On my way home from work I was still quite upset. All these bad thoughts were swirling through my mind. I felt humiliated to find out that the top people think I'm incompetent, angry that they were unwilling to own up to it. I was thinking about terrible people from prior jobs, the way I was mistreated.

I thought: "I will never be able to sleep tonight with all this loud negativity in my head."

I usually go to the gym before work but I skipped this morning. So I decided to go as soon as I got home. I changed and walked to the gym. On my way I considered how even many years after I still sometimes think about shitheads from other jobs that have screwed me over. Not obsessively, not intensely but I still think of them. I asked myself "Do they still think of me?"

No. I expect that even in the worst case, after a year since my departure none of them probably ever thought about me again, even though I sometimes thought about them. And thinking about them and how they treated me caused me new pain. Maybe not much, but it still hurt. It struck me that as long as I continued to think about them I extended the length of time they had influence over my state of mind. I've extended that influence far, far longer than they had ever thought about me. It's a completely one-sided situation. I'm the only one still suffering from it.

At the gym I worked out hard and was already thinking about my next interview. How would I explain getting fired? The answer came easily. I even considered how I could expand on the answer without poo poo-talking my former employer. No one wants to hear that sort of negativity in an interview. I think I've proven I'm good at getting jobs. I'm not afraid to get fired. I expect it will be like tearing a bandaid off.

Maybe it will be tomorrow, next week, next year. I don't know. Maybe they'll get distracted. Maybe I've badly misread the situation and it will never happen. What I know is that since I intend to stay until I have another job I have to be able to endure the punishment without such a strong emotional reaction. Their opinion can affect my employment, but it should not affect me personally.

I know I'm not incompetent. I know because of the results. Systems that work. Servers that don't go down. Files are not getting lost, email not disappearing. Laptops and desktops that run and run and run. Phone calls aren't getting dropped. Incompetent people do not produce good results. Incompetent I.T. people do not oversee stable, productive systems. They don't look for ways to save money without compromising performance. They don't keep their servers patched, their firmware up to date, the batteries in their UPS fresh and tested. They don't get security tests of their network because they don't want to know if there are problems. They want to hide them.

It's not arrogance to say that the people at my current job are not qualified to judge me. They know nothing about me personally or professionally. How could they when they never talk to me? I bet none of them even know if I'm married, or how old I am. They know nothing. That won't stop them from forming an opinion, but it is an uninformed opinion. And when I leave this job it will not matter what they think of me. Ever. They are essentially strangers with an unfortunate power over my employment.

I will do what I can to retain my equilibrium through whatever happens in the next little while, until I get fired or find another job. I will work really hard at it, and when this job is done I will work just as hard at leaving it behind. I don't want to carry these worthless people in my head anymore. None of them ever earned it.

:unsmith:

Now go find a brain talker to keep this up.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Volmarias posted:

:unsmith:

Now go find a brain talker to keep this up.

I promise that I will, as soon as possible.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

stevewm posted:

Amount of the refund? $18....

I hate credit cards.
Something I've carried with me since my poker days is the idea of an hourly rate. Your time is worth money.

"Sir you have spent more than $18 worth of your time to come back to my store and yell at me."

It's like when you pick up fast food and oh drat they forgot to put cheese on this sandwich and I wanted the large fries. What, you gonna make another 20 minute round trip over $3 worth of food? Sit down and eat your cheeseless reasonably sized fries, boy.

(The idea that your time is worth money obviously isn't unique I'm just saying that poker is what cemented it for me.)

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
That's why I'm always incoherently yelling at customer services reps who keep me on the phone longer than five minutes. I've calculated my rate whenever I'm doing something I don't like at $10,000/hour. You chew the math.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dick Trauma posted:

Coward. Goddamn coward.

I want to loop back to this.

I don't see them thinking you're incompetent. They approved the proposal. They give you work and they get results. IT is supposed to be faceless because everything is going smoothly, we tend to only get noticed when poo poo breaks.

I pay attention to your posts, you have good stories. And I think I missed the stories that establish that they think you're a fuckup and are about to get fired. I have seen a lot about them being uninterested in IT, terrible communicators, and lousy leaders.

Before you take any further action on the assumption that your termination is imminent, be sure. I think you might be wrong. People are usually forthright when they say "If I ever had a problem with you I would tell you."

They're paying you good money and getting results. Maybe YOTJ out of there for a place where you'll have a better relationship with your management team, but it's very possible, even likely, that your current employers are actually grateful that they can entrust IT to you so they never have to worry about it.

Maintaining dedication and quality in a vacuum of validation and feedback is tough. You should be proud you're doing it.

Don't gently caress this up over a freakout. Get any cross-checks or additional facts that you can. "Is it weird that I don't feel validated here" might be a good question to ask informally.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

mllaneza posted:

I don't see them thinking you're incompetent. They approved the proposal. They give you work and they get results. IT is supposed to be faceless because everything is going smoothly, we tend to only get noticed when poo poo breaks.

I pay attention to your posts, you have good stories. And I think I missed the stories that establish that they think you're a fuckup and are about to get fired. I have seen a lot about them being uninterested in IT, terrible communicators, and lousy leaders.

Before you take any further action on the assumption that your termination is imminent, be sure. I think you might be wrong. People are usually forthright when they say "If I ever had a problem with you I would tell you."

They're paying you good money and getting results. Maybe YOTJ out of there for a place where you'll have a better relationship with your management team, but it's very possible, even likely, that your current employers are actually grateful that they can entrust IT to you so they never have to worry about it.

Maintaining dedication and quality in a vacuum of validation and feedback is tough. You should be proud you're doing it.

Don't gently caress this up over a freakout. Get any cross-checks or additional facts that you can. "Is it weird that I don't feel validated here" might be a good question to ask informally.

^^^^ a thousand times this.

Try to get some mental distance (working out is great for this), find a professional to talk to and go from there.

It's awfully easy to get stuck in the well, and a lot of the stuff you wrote about your experiences in your current situation resonates very well with my own experiences. But as I later learned, my experience of things didn't match up with reality all that well, due to being pretty broke brained and pushing myself down mentally when I didn't really have grounds to (heh). In my case, it cost me a possible relationship and some pretty strained months at work (don't poo poo where you eat, people). In your case, it can cost you your job, which isn't so cool, even with the economy perking up.

CBT can do wonders, it managed to pull a close friend of mine out of near-dependency on strong pain medication and back to actually enjoying his job after a few rough years.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 28, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

mllaneza posted:

My intention with the CEO was to keep things simple (even before I spoke to the general counsel) and to feel things out. Just to express my feeling that big things were in the works and I wanted to be a part of it. Unlike the last place I was not intending this to be a complaint session or any other sort of drama. I did not want to approach him as if there was an emergency, only to talk about feeling unknown and wanting to get involved.

I want to be on his radar because he literally makes every important decision at the company, and he is incredibly reluctant to make changes. Perhaps by expressing a desire to be a part of the company's shining new future (if it ever comes) that might be enough for him to feel that shitcanning me was not an option because it's too much change for him.

Who knows? I accept that despite hearing pretty ominous stuff I don't know anything for sure. Even if Fric and Frac genuinely want me gone that doesn't mean it will happen.

That's why I didn't quit and have no intention of quitting. I'm letting the emotional adrenaline drain out of me to try and make clear-headed decisions. I've made wayyyy too many important work decisions in the heat of the moment.

EDIT: The consultant made a laughably vague request earlier in the week for a sort of tech status report and I'm almost done so I emailed him to see if he'd be around tomorrow to review my first pass. He replied quickly that he can make time for a call, but that waiting until Monday is fine. So for now we can all maintain this fiction that everything is hunky-dory, and perhaps that will become reality. :shrug:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I just checked and my work email still works so I guess I'm not fired yet. :toot:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I just checked and my work email still works so I guess I'm not fired yet. :toot:

See! Things are looking up! (Or no one but you knows how to disable email accounts. :shrug:)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Congrats for getting those thoughts out, it's a healthy attitude to have

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
UPC Kitty Wifi > Said by one of our techs to a customer who then used it in an email. What he meant was Ubiquity. It's particularly confusing/funny because UPC is a local ISP.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Dick Trauma posted:

Go and be the best Dick you can now! I am not ashamed

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

UPC Kitty Wifi > Said by one of our techs to a customer who then used it in an email. What he meant was Ubiquity. It's particularly confusing/funny because UPC is a local ISP.

Kitty Wifi :ohdear: :science:

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 28, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fuckin ace, we finally upgraded our kronos timecard system! The java version is gone so now I can stop fussing with java versions!

What did they replace it with? A flash version!

What the loving gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

xzzy posted:

Fuckin ace, we finally upgraded our kronos timecard system! The java version is gone so now I can stop fussing with java versions!

What did they replace it with? A flash version!

What the loving gently caress.

We're looking at timekeeping systems and Kronos entered the conversation. Luckily my boss has worked with Kronos in the past and refuses to call them for a demonstration.

Pissing me off: I will never loving forgive my predecessor for installing these lovely wireless bridges instead of running fiber to buildings less than 100 yards away. loving hell I hate these things so loving much.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 28, 2017