Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Thanks Ants posted:

Did you follow some crazy ritual known as "deploying in more than one region"?

Multi-AZ multi-region. We did the needful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"Perfect. I'll remove that useless equipment at once then"

Then he removes her from the office.

If you have sticker paper, write all the instructions and print it onto that, then stick it onto the scanner if you have the space to do so... in size 72 font.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Malek posted:

Then he removes her from the office.

If you have sticker paper, write all the instructions and print it onto that, then stick it onto the scanner if you have the space to do so... in size 72 font.

PRESS BUTAN RECIEVE BASCAN

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

If I (as in IT) am introducing something then I'll be happy to provide some sort of end-user training (as in, arrange it). When a department pisses and moans about having to have a piece of software and then sits on their hands when it's been deployed because they don't know how to use it, then they can :fuckoff:
We just hired someone to do admin work on short notice to which I supplied their manager with their account creds to use, of course said manager is a heap of poo poo and wasn't around on new hire's first day so she pretty much sat around doing paper work or nothing all day. I only found out because near the end of the day I pondered if I forgot to check if office 2016 was activated on her machine, it's real awkward when you ask them to log in with their account and they sheepishly say they don't know how.

Today I got a message from her manager asking if I could explain her setup to her, if I have to explain what MS Office is you have a major malfunction in your hiring practice.
I was also asked to prioritise setting up a second monitor for her because spreadsheets are strenuous apparently, it's already on my radar but I've run out of display cables so that ain't happening plus I'm sure a newbie can survive the hardship of a single monitor for a day or so.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
We're migrating a (very large) client to a new SAN infrastructure. The only thing is that they have about 600 TB of stuff on tape which we need to restore to an old SAN volume and then put on the new SAN

Of course we have to do this while still keeping the system available for people doing one off restores :negative:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

pr0digal posted:

We're migrating a (very large) client to a new SAN infrastructure. The only thing is that they have about 600 TB of stuff on tape which we need to restore to an old SAN volume and then put on the new SAN

Of course we have to do this while still keeping the system available for people doing one off restores :negative:

Charge by the hour.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Sirotan posted:

It is the year 2017, and our new EHR system can't handle apostrophes in patient names without throwing an SQL escape error. Jesus christ.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I was pleasantly surprised when I found ours can do apostrophes, stresses, even stuff like ñ. I've learned not to expect that, ever, and I am not sure that will ever change.

Ours does dates inconsistently, and doesn't sort columns correctly.

I have a a (likely)irrational fear of using any funny characters in our EMR because I"m afraid people won't show up in reports.

Why am I afraid you ask? Because to use the reports there is a funny work around that needs to be done to make it work. How did I discover that? I was trying to put together some numbers for something out of curiosity and noticed a person that should have been on the report wasn't. I also never get particularly satisfactory answers for anything when I call, and I never get anything in writing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pr0digal posted:

At what point does it become cheaper to buy another tape drive just for processing restore requests?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Super Slash posted:

I was also asked to prioritise setting up a second monitor for her because spreadsheets are strenuous apparently

Double monitors are a productivity boost for almost any job. It's probably not in the same category as free coffee, but it's still high up.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Thanks Ants posted:

At what point does it become cheaper to buy another tape drive just for processing restore requests?

Everything goes into the same queue for restores, it doesn't differentiate between a one off restore kicked off by a user and a mass folder restore kicked off by me. So more drives would help make it go quicker but not solve the overall problem.

If will restore individual files if they are "read" by a client filesystem in some way and then they'll go into a queue one by one. Doing a tree or an rsync with dry run doesn't count as reading the files so I'm sitting here running diff in the hopes it'll pull back what it needs to without totally saturating the queue.

Did a search in the MAM: 12k "projects" are considered archived. I guess I could do them through the MAM first and then catch up using the mass folder restores. Still going to take a million loving years

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 27, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
One of my clients recently switched off of couriering monthly tape archives back to HQ from their branches, ever since we sold and installed a shiny new SAN for them.

Now they courier USB hard drives :eng99:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Super Slash posted:

We just hired someone to do admin work on short notice to which I supplied their manager with their account creds to use, of course said manager is a heap of poo poo and wasn't around on new hire's first day so she pretty much sat around doing paper work or nothing all day. I only found out because near the end of the day I pondered if I forgot to check if office 2016 was activated on her machine, it's real awkward when you ask them to log in with their account and they sheepishly say they don't know how.

Today I got a message from her manager asking if I could explain her setup to her, if I have to explain what MS Office is you have a major malfunction in your hiring practice.
I was also asked to prioritise setting up a second monitor for her because spreadsheets are strenuous apparently, it's already on my radar but I've run out of display cables so that ain't happening plus I'm sure a newbie can survive the hardship of a single monitor for a day or so.

As a workaround, show them windows-arrowkey if she needs the second monitor to more easily copy/paste things between the two.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Collateral Damage posted:

Print the instructions and staple them to her face.

Don't forget a quick follow up email recapping the training you just gave her so she has a written reference if she forgets something. That's both legitimately useful to the user and a handy CYA technique. I actually got a very nice thank you from the president of the agency's assistant in response to one of those recaps.

It came in handy when she tried to throw me under the bus by saying I'd never trained her on that system.

That's when she took to saying "gently caress you" instead of "thank you" whenever she asked me for or about something. Like basic arithmetic.

And got away with it for a year.

Because she was the president of the agency's assistant.

On the plus side, when she finally managed to get me fired I got 2 months pay and two weeks in lieu of notice as "go away quietly" money. I'm even on record as eligible for rehire.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

iospace posted:

As long as AWS has been around, I've been very... skeptical about it. Mostly because it's a MASSIVE single point of failure.

Cheap sure, but given how much of the internet relies on it? Yeah...

Yes, and on prem stuff never has outages. :rolleyes:

That's like saying, "I avoid putting my stuff in datacenters because the datacenter is a massive single point of failure."

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 28, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Double monitors are a productivity boost for almost any job. It's probably not in the same category as free coffee, but it's still high up.

Forget that. Productivity boost EVERYWHERE!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Super Slash posted:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I agree, but if you don't know how to log in or use office I'm not convinced you're going to max out the productivity you can get from even one monitor.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Samizdata posted:

Forget that. Productivity boost EVERYWHERE!

I knew I was in the right place when I walked in for the first interview at my current job and every single person had dual monitors at their desk. IT gets triple monitors automatically.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Agrikk posted:

That's like saying, "I avoid putting my stuff in datacenters because the datacenter is a massive single point of failure."
Speaking of, I got curious as to why the few remaining servers we have actually went down when my UPS failed last weekend, since the servers all have double PSUs.. And turns out that even though the rack outlet groups are labeled differently, they're actually both connected to the UPS. :cripes:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Co-worker calls me over to take a look at a client's domain controller having replication issues. Found the following issues:

• DFS event log says it can't talk to its partner
  • NSLOOKUP comes back with two IPs for the partner hostname
  • DC has three(!) active NICs
  • One of them is a Hamachi (!!!) interface

I'm running far, far away from this one.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

devmd01 posted:

I knew I was in the right place when I walked in for the first interview at my current job and every single person had dual monitors at their desk. IT gets triple monitors automatically.

Be careful, the hunger for more monitors only grows. I've been wondering about mounting two more monitors above the three I've already got.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eschatos posted:

Be careful, the hunger for more monitors only grows. I've been wondering about mounting two more monitors above the three I've already got.

I have two monitors, and sometimes I wish I had three at home.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Eschatos posted:

I remember when tabbed browsing was the thing of the future.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Now I'm just waiting for a tabbed Explorer window.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Fil5000 posted:

I agree, but if you don't know how to log in or use office I'm not convinced you're going to max out the productivity you can get from even one monitor.

It's more the point of me having a gripe of having to setup a last minute hire who then gets left to fend for themselves on the first day, complaining about the lack of dualies is a bit silly in comparison.

Also the envy is real, I'd love to have triples but I know it would make waves. People are fascinated by my little Dyno label maker and even my cordless screwdriver.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Super Slash posted:

my cordless screwdriver.

..?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have three monitors because after I finders keepersed two widescreen monitors from terminated co-workers desks they didn't want the lovely 4x3 back. Now when I need it I have room for email and two Excel sheets. It's actually really handy.

Also everyone knows the more monitors you have the more important you are.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
There's diminishing gains beyond 2. I have 3, and it's great, but it's not nearly as amazing as going from 1 to 2 was.

I barely used the fourth one while I had it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I'm fine with three but I usually just use the third for email/skype. Sometimes I'll use it for rdp sessions but otherwise I stick to the other two for what I do.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
3 is a good upper bound. At 4, you really need a special use case, like one monitor that's just showing a dashboard for server status or something.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I have 4 monitors, but 2 are on my company machine and 2 are on a machine I am issued for one of our clients.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

3 is a good upper bound. At 4, you really need a special use case, like one monitor that's just showing a dashboard for server status or something.

And in that situation you really want a few 85" displays on the wall with an input for a games console

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

pr0digal posted:

Can you explain why the 600 TB on tape can't just be migrated to the new SAN after the switch? Not sure what all goes into this.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Can you explain why the 600 TB on tape can't just be migrated to the new SAN after the switch? Not sure what all goes into this.

They need to be able to do one off restores while migrating off of the tape. They can only do one restore job at a time, so if any restore requests come in while they are migrating, they wouldn't be able to perform them.

New backups can go to the SAN, but if the CFO needs this one document from 2 years ago, it's not going to be on the SAN is it?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hihifellow posted:

Co-worker calls me over to take a look at a client's domain controller having replication issues. Found the following issues:

What in the gently caress

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

hihifellow posted:

How does this even happen? What the hell is going on over there?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've seen DCs on multiple networks because the person doing it wanted a DHCP server and didn't know what IP helpers were. It's good when DNS starts returning addresses that the client can't reach and poo poo starts timing out.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

hihifellow posted:

That fuckin owns. Did someone make a geographically distributed domain that replicates over hamachi?

Or in this case I guess "replicated"

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

That fuckin owns. Did someone make a geographically distributed domain that replicates over hamachi?

Or in this case I guess "replicated"

Nah someone's hosting Total Annihilation games from the DC.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

GreenNight posted:

Now I'm just waiting for a tabbed Explorer window.

Clover works pretty well but I ended up not missing it after my latest reformat. I rarely have more than three or four explorer windows while I can easily pass 100 tabs in Chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Eschatos posted:

Clover works pretty well but I ended up not missing it after my latest reformat. I rarely have more than three or four explorer windows while I can easily pass 100 tabs in Chrome.

Honestly, I disliked clover a lot. Most of my need for multiple explorer windows is copying from one to another, and I was really slowed down by not having a drag and drop option because it was the same window.

If that's not something you do much, then yeah, Clover's fine.

• Locked thread