Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Chichevache posted:

Eh, it is probably for the best. She's barely 5', and could barely even keep the ninjette upright.

Yeah, I've seen a ninjette lowered for another height challenged rider and that thing was no fun. At least she tried, now get yourself a big sport tourer and take her 2 up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

Yeah, I've seen a ninjette lowered for another height challenged rider and that thing was no fun. At least she tried, now get yourself a big sport tourer and take her 2 up!

I still really want a Tiger.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Ride one and see if you still think that - the new Tigers are kind of anemic IMO and are overpriced for what you get

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Chichevache posted:

I still really want a Tiger.

FJR1300ES

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Chichevache posted:

Not even. Car just swerved into me without signaling. Hard swerve too. I didn't even scrape, I just collided with the first quarter panel. The driver admitted fault to CHP and multiple witnesses stopped. Looks like i can finally buy that FZ09...

Wait, you were carrying full coverage on that ninjette? I'm curious what they give you for it. I just got this $500 '07 running and titled/plated this week, so I'm extra curious.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

cheech what the hell is goin on w/u, drat

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

cheech what the hell is goin on w/u, drat

Talk poo poo, get hit. :iiaca:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Passed my das on thursday, went and picked this puppy up today with a friend :3:

2006, 5900 miles, £1600 with my old bike as PX

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Keket posted:

Passed my das on thursday, went and picked this puppy up today with a friend :3:

:swoon: heck ya, sweet deal! it's brand new!! :D

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Keket posted:

Congrats on your pass, and your sweet new ride!

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
Took my V7 out of it's natural habitat (the locally owned fair-trade organic coffee shop) & up Mt. Hood. It did pretty well, but I had to stop & go back after the road went from asphalt to gravel to holy gently caress boulders. I have never wanted DRZ 400 more than today.

For Oregon people, I rode 26 from Portland up to Welches/Zigzag and then turned on to Lolo Pass & followed that as far as I could until big rocks and ruts scared me.

Fender fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 22, 2017

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
God I love this bike

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fender posted:

Took my V7 out of it's natural habitat (the locally owned fair-trade organic coffee shop) & up Mt. Hood. It did pretty well, but I had to stop & go back after the road went from asphalt to gravel to holy gently caress boulders. I have never wanted DRZ 400 more than today.

For Oregon people, I rode 26 from Portland up to Welches/Zigzag and then turned on to Lolo Pass & followed that as far as I could until big rocks and ruts scared me.

There's so many good roads out towards the gorge and Mt. Hood, it's just a shame half of them are clogged with slow-poke cars anytime the weather is remotely nice.

Did you get your Guzzi from the dealership on Sandy? It's where my riding buddy bought his V7 Special.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

HotCanadianChick posted:

There's so many good roads out towards the gorge and Mt. Hood, it's just a shame half of them are clogged with slow-poke cars anytime the weather is remotely nice.

Did you get your Guzzi from the dealership on Sandy? It's where my riding buddy bought his V7 Special.

Yeah, that's the place. Nice guys and they have been quick with the turn-around when I bring it in for service.

I am going back up Lolo Pass again soon. Did some Google Earth exploring & found that there is a way to detour around that dumb section of road. My goal is to make it all the way over the mountain and up to Hood River before coming back into town on I-84. I'll probably just take a random day off mid-week to do it. I spent the entire time going 25 MPH behind a minivan this last time.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Fender posted:

Yeah, that's the place. Nice guys and they have been quick with the turn-around when I bring it in for service.

I am going back up Lolo Pass again soon. Did some Google Earth exploring & found that there is a way to detour around that dumb section of road. My goal is to make it all the way over the mountain and up to Hood River before coming back into town on I-84. I'll probably just take a random day off mid-week to do it. I spent the entire time going 25 MPH behind a minivan this last time.

I did this ride over the weekend and even took a picture in the same place. Thanks for the idea! It was mostly free of cars on the way up, but I did get stuck behind an old Tercel on the way back.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

ugh after riding the 1125r for an hour and a half and remembering it's painful, i'm considering trading it in towards an '09 Kawasaki Concours. I'm getting old and sad. :(

i'm looking at the specs and it, on paper, is drat near as fast as the Buell. but, i'd be comfy. decisions, decisions.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 27, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Also, it wouldn't be a buell. With age comes wisdom. Get the speed couch of your dreams.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A new concours is basically a zx14 touring bike, I can't imagine how it would be slow.

Alternately: BKING with bags

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Nerdrock posted:

ugh after riding the 1125r for an hour and a half and remembering it's painful, i'm considering trading it in towards an '09 Kawasaki Concours. I'm getting old and sad. :(

i'm looking at the specs and it, on paper, is drat near as fast as the Buell. but, i'd be comfy. decisions, decisions.

I have a friend who just bought a '10 Concours and sold his Gold Wing after one 15 minute ride on my ZX14. He is just as comfortable, and now has more power and handling. Nothing wrong with a Connie, good bike.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
There was someone around here who was a really big Connie fan, and now I don't remember who it was.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A new concours is basically a zx14 touring bike, I can't imagine how it would be slow.

Alternately: BKING with bags

yeah. I guess my statement was poorly worded. on paper, it's almost as fast as my 1125r, which is crazy.

1125r 0-60 : 2.8s
Connie 0-60 : 2.9s

Anyways : it's a the local dealer. I might see if the wife wants to go with for a test ride this Saturday.

My main lament in this situation is that I just adore the 1125r. I like everything about the bike, a lot. Just : it loving hurts to put more than 50 miles on.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Fixing the ergos and seat is probably a lot cheaper and easier than a whole other bike. If you really love it, you'll regret parting with it.

edit: are there any parts compatibility with the uly? I hear those are comfy. Paging Clutchpuck.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I know a couple people with Connie's and they love them to death. They're all on their second or third Connie in a row, I don't think they'll ever stray. That said, I don't like the bike. It's fast and rides good, but it was a stiff ride (probably just the suspension setup). I felt every bump. It's also a bad bike for tall people. I'm 6'6" and I had to lean quite a bit forward/down for the bars(with risers!), and my knees hit the fairings. It was uncomfortable and it felt like I was riding a liter Grom. The bike felt super small under me.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Fact: Sport tourers are for fat old guys.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

:byewhore:

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 27, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Finally ready to ride the rxv 5.5 train?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:sadwave:

I'll miss seeing pictures of it doing awesome things. What's your next bike, if the DR650 is going too?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have no idea what it's being replaced with. new? crf250l rally. Old/imported from Austria? 640/950/990 adv.

I'm delivering the bike on the 10th. the bus and wifebiek are next to go.

E: a friend is buying it. I'll have the option to buy it back if we move back to the US in the foreseeable future.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 27, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

High Protein posted:

Fact: Sport tourers are for fat old guys.

Some of us aren't fat. There are dozens of us. DOZENS

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

I have no idea what it's being replaced with. new? crf250l rally. Old/imported from Austria? 640/950/990 adv.

I'm delivering the bike on the 10th. the bus and wifebiek are next to go.

E: a friend is buying it. I'll have the option to buy it back if we move back to the US in the foreseeable future.

How much road vs. dirt riding are you doing? Could try a KTM/husky/beta 500 if it's more dirt (but they're terrible commuting bikes).

e: wait, are you going somewhere that has bikes?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
more road miles, less dirt miles, but dirt/primitive road is required.

Moving to Ukraine*. I'd prefer something a liiiittle more comfortable than the DRZ. I mean, I've done 6-800 mile weekends on it, but jeezlus I'm limping for 2 days. Thing reminds me of an ex.
It would be an *awesome* bike for Ukraine, but ahahaha It's a picky bastard. blowing a crank would mean I'm without it for a month while I wait on parts getting shipped from North America.

* this has been heavily discussed in AI's monthly chat thread.

E: another alternate is a Dr BIG.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 27, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Uh, you can probably get the XT660X over there so you know what you need to do.

Comedy option- Ural.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Uh, you can probably get the XT660X over there so you know what you need to do.

Comedy option- Ural.

https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/yamaha-xt-660-x-2007-goda-IDsCcDY.html#5dd06602fc

$3800 in kiev. drat you!

lol @ urals. They're like $200usd so of course I'll get one to use as a truck and generally play ~mysummercar~ with. It's common to remove the passenger berth and replace it with a deck.

E: Dnepr (samething). Both within :20bux: of $200.
https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/prodam-mt-v-idealnom-sostoyaniy-IDtDuKe.html#3f9b423a1b
https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/prodam-srochno-bez-torga-IDrxYRC.html#3f9b423a1b

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 27, 2017

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Are you taking your sweet truck to Ukraine?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hell no. I'm selling it too. Vat/Excise/Displacement tax comes in at 52,000 usd for it. It would have been 3 or 4 grand to import the bike including shipping, which wasn't bad. I'm just kinda ready for a new headache.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
690? https://m.facebook.com/KTMUkraine just replace your rocker arm bearings every 12k miles.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Double what I wanna spend. They're almost 701 prices there. and the 701 is teetering close to 15 thousand.
Lol the crf rally is 7500 +/- a few hundred.

there *is* a KTM dealer an hour from my house.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

builds character posted:

690? https://m.facebook.com/KTMUkraine just replace your rocker arm bearings every 12k miles.

They fixed that problem years ago with an updated part. It's a 30 minute job, anyways.

Wait, why is the SXV550 pusherman bringing up KTM reliability nonissues?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

They fixed that problem years ago with an updated part. It's a 30 minute job, anyways.

Wait, why is the SXV550 pusherman bringing up KTM reliability nonissues?

1. Hopefully anyone who's seriously considering an SXV is aware of the maintenance issues associated with a(n Aprilia) race bike. Frankly, I think KTM's 350, 450 and 500 are all a pretty nice demonstration of how far forward tech has moved in the last ten years but even there you can see the difference that higher compression, faster revving and running at race speed all the time will have in the difference between an SXF's required maintenance and an XCF-W's required maintenance.

2. Maybe? Seems like if there was a fix, it's pretty recent. https://www.facebook.com/LyndonPoskittRacing/posts/1084163141717731:0

3. I think, at least a little, this is the price you pay for performance and the alternative is getting something that doesn't spin quite as high or make as much HP. I think you'd probably agree that you can beat anyone in a car (jillion dollar Tesla aside) off the line in your DR650 and that even a 250 has enough power to get out of its own way. When you're talking about 73 hp from a 690 engine, I think you have to accept some maintenance issues as the price of doing business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

apparently the fuel pumps like to poo poo out on that 690 too and it's like a 200-300 USD part.

also good for you for finally escaping the clutches of that piddling suzuki slut! sad we won't have a chance to go to hollister together tho. :smith: