Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Translated chapter 36 of Dungeon Meshi is out and uhhhhh jeepers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Chas McGill posted:

I really liked Bokko. What similar stuff is there? Old school detailed art, emphasis of cunning over brute strength etc. Doesn't have to be 3 kingdoms period or whatever.

It's only about a single protagonist but I really enjoyed Kenji.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kenji-r1351

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
New Silver Spoon!

http://readms.net/r/silver_spoon/123/4434/1

Oh my, Mugi-chan looks like granpa! :laffo:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Wonderland. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Wonderland

Revelations and stuff. can't imagine the main girl is going to be too happy to find out Alice is responsible for the deaths of everyone she loves, AND her dog, and countless others, even if it's not really her fault(?)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And a new Somali and the Forest Spirit, in which things get far, far darker than they were before, jesus christ

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Billzasilver posted:

It's only about a single protagonist but I really enjoyed Kenji.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kenji-r1351

Thanks, this is cool so far. The grandpa is awesome.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just started reading Wonderland, and I like how the girl's dog recognizes her and is still a Good Dog, but her cat is torturing her parents.

Accurate depiction of what would happen in that scenario IMO.

edit: Poor dog :(.

I'm a little confused on if the government is actually killing the people when they gas them. The one guy seemed to indicate they weren't, since he complained about shooting at civilians, but the soldier also freaked out after he was shrunk and was about to be gassed. It also doesn't make much sense to kill the shrunken people if they're just trying to capture/contain Alice and that other guy.

edit2: As an unrelated comment, while I generally like Inio Asano, I have to admit that his stuff can come off as a bit pretentious at times. I understand the appeal of stuff focusing on young adult ennui, but as someone with Real Problems I can't help but feel a little annoyed at the portrayal of young, healthy adults taking everything way too seriously. I kinda like his series about the aliens because it has less of that kind of thing and inserts more humor.

edit3: As another unrelated thing (because I don't want to make a new post), I've been reading Shut Hell and really like it a lot. There's something I really find compelling about that sort of "love that transcends time (and, uh, gender in this case)" story.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 21, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

oh no

I'm finally trying Saint Young Men

and I don't think I like Saint Young Men

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Well i guess Johnny Depp jokes aren't for everyone, but it's your loss really

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

it's more that a lot of the jokes are like, super deep cut japanese stand up type stuff

it's like Johnny and Gyro's gag conversations in Steel Ball Run

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
New Rie-san yells at movies

Anyone who lives in a country where movies are regularly dubbed has had Rie's reaction at least once, 100% guaranteed.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't have any idols over here, so it's not quite the same, it's mostly just that the performances can be completely miscast and flat compared to the original.

Here, people who have no business acting usually just try to insert themselves in live action instead of resorting to dubs.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mikl posted:

New Rie-san yells at movies

Anyone who lives in a country where movies are regularly dubbed has had Rie's reaction at least once, 100% guaranteed.

I am glad that the story within the story had a happy ending.

I am also glad that we are getting more Kine chapters at a quicker rate.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Except probably not anymore, the afterword said this was the last of the publicly available translated scripts that the editor found somewhere on the internet. So unless someone reaches out to him and supplies him with more translations, that's it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't know if there's really an answer for this, but in Shut Hell the real Shut Hell pops out any time Sudo (in her body) encounters Mongol soldiers, but later Sudo is shown kicking rear end against non-Mongol soldiers and seemingly under full control. Does he just retain the muscle memory from fighting under Shut Hell's control or something?

It's not a terribly important question, but I'm just a little curious about it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
haha, inuyashiki ended and as expected, it was just a total wet fart of a series.

Oku hiroya is definitely the master of coming up with interesting settings and completely loving up the execution.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
You, the person reading this post, should definitely be reading Houseki no Kuni

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

In the distant future, a new life form called Houseki (gems) are born. The 28 Houseki must fight against the moon dwellers who want to attack them and turn them into decorations, thus each gem is assigned a role such as a fighter or a medic. Though she hopes to fight the moon dwellers, Phos is a gem who is given no assignment until the gems' master Adamantine asks her to edit a natural history magazine.

sorry?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The initial premise and art style put me off of it for the longest time too, but it's definitely worth it. Same thing happened with me and Dorohedoro for a while as well, to my loss

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

how on earth would that premise put someone off

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
"Did you like Nier Automata? Try this," is a pretty good barometer I've found.

There isn't really much to discuss about it since most major secrets have been revealed and all that's left is to see how it all unravels. At first I thought it would go the way Wentricosus said waaaaaay back in like chapter ten with everyone reuniting but now the ending feels like it will be the Moon People getting their wish and passing on, and Adamantine either going with them or shutting down for good so the gems can start advancing without him. It's just a really good series.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Today's hibiki is really awesome https://bato.to/reader#a05bbb0de9a6f7d0

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Well it's very 'interesting', to say the least, like an itch that has finally been scratched.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dang I wasn't caught up and some of the last few chapters were pretty :stare: more than usual. Hibiki owns

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hibiki is a like a shounen where people get befriended because her literature power level is incredibly high.

I don't even know what to think about last chapter. I like the subversion of the "creepy room full of photos" cliche.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 28, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I am a Hero

Some random thoughts.

I am a Hero is a apocalyptic zombie action/drama story set in Japan.
Perhaps the main feature here is the awkward protagonist. He is a mediocre mangaka (all very self-referential) who suffers from night terrors, delusions, light paranoia, he is socially inept, and have a tendency to talk alone.

The series uses smartly some scary elements beyond normal zombies using the protagonists frights and delusions, and the delusions the zombified people seem to have.
For example this was more creepy than the zombies

The story starts slow, it needs several chapters to even really start for real, but I think it's worthwhile setup of the normal world at the beginning, somehow the zombie apocalypse feels more real thanks to that.
And by the way, this is a spectacular when poo poo hits the fan. Very good action scenes. They are well framed and well planned, seeing people running away from a horde of zombies and fighting for their life is great. The series uses realistic backgrounds and very detailed zombies, and contributes a lot to the realism and spectacularity. And he uses a lot double page spreads full of detail in the key scenes.
That said, it isn't fully an action manga, action is used sparsely (for example, the shotgun isn't used by the MC until volume 8).

The drawing can also be pretty inventive, using for example first person perspective to have a claustrophobic view with masks the character use.

Another element the series uses are some slight touches of humor, sometimes based on pathetic pahtos of characters (and the author is known for it), which are funnier as they are in the middle of zombie apocalypse. It's interesting how the main character is subtly drawn in a more ugly manner when he behaves pathetically in girls presence, and is slightly more handsome in the heroic scenes.

I am a Hero has a pace which is fairly quick after the start, though that doesn't mean every chapter reads quickly. He uses a very cinematic approach and a single 'scene' can be 60 pages, so the volumes aren't dense in stuff happening. It really uses the visual and cinematic aspect of manga well, depicting visually a well mdade zombie apocalypse.
And with the overcrowded cities, the indifference of the public, the viral rumors going rampart on internet, the comic feels very contemporary.

The author also presents interesting power dynamics in survivor groups, changing when just someone with a bigger weapon appears, or using a woman's body as currency, or people conspiring in a coup d'etat, or maybe all crumbles to nothing when someone makes a small mistake.
As a con, all the neet angle the author uses, with the neet revenge on society is tiring, and just reminds you the writer is surely another otaku.

So around a point well advanced in the story, the more scienc-y fiction part starts. The explanation given is that aliens are behind the zombie apocalypse. Maybe to help humanity to reach a 'higher' state, and not to invade the planet.
In one hand I am thankful for an explanation of how zombies could move with their hearts stopped and stuff like that. If you say 'aliens and their advanced technology!' I can accept it a bit more easily.
But on the other hand... uh. Aliens.
Does this story really needed an explanation of the true nature of the zombies or why all started?
In fact, even when the giant zomb-monsters start appearing, they are totally unrelated to the plights and successes of the main characters, they could well exist in another world, the plot threads are only joined in the last volume, and it's done a bit hapzarhdly.
Finally, in the end it's just another HUMAN INSTRUMENTALITY PROJECT, goddamnit! So unoriginal. Evangelion shadow is long, I suppose.

Drama-wise, I thought it was all very correct, I liked Oda-san tragic arc, the incipient romantic triangle complicating things, all the conflicting feelings complicating things. Of course it ends in tragedy, with Oda-San dead, Hiromi joining the zombie-mind ridden with guiltiness, and Hiro alone and again talking with himself (normal in his condition) but... can we be really surprised this ended in tragedy?? Did anyone expected a happy ending where the zombies are defeated and they all lived happy and together? I don't think so. We had seen humanity was already almost extinct.
Hell I was surprised a few guys survived thanks to the helicopter.

But it's true I'm not totally happy with the end, it lacks some poignant theme or something. But it was a very good manga for 90% of the story!
I think the science fiction plot went nowhere, it would have been ok if the author would have done something intriguing, original with that in the main plot, but he didn't. And the final drama didn't feel personal enough, it lacks impact.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Tragically yeah. I Am A Hero is so good for so much of it, but its plot seriously goes off the rails in the last bit and ends on such a wet fart. The look into what was happening in France was wonderful, and if there was any kind of payoff to the sci-fi angle it would've been great, but, well, there wasn't actually any payoff for anything in the end. Hideo's the last person alive in Tokyo and is going mad from isolation, bam, the end.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a good ending for hideo but terrible in every other respect

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Pierson posted:

Wow! That's a great mangue

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Pierson posted:

I haven't watched anime in decades but this might work well, looking forward to October

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hey, guess what updated again after six months

That's right. Hakoiri Drops.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pierson posted:

I read the first volume and liked it enough. I planned to read it later.

But it seems I will be watching the anime.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have started to read Pluto and it is just incredible. However when Inspector Gesicht is talking to the last robot who killed a human and they discuss gods of death I felt insanely dumb. Somehow I wondered the following before they state it, "hrm our planet names come from the Roman gods, I wonder which planet is death?" :saddowns:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Pluto is my favorite Urasawa manga. All his other series had great sections but seemed to get bogged down or peter out. Pluto stayed good from what I can remember.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Most of Urasawa's manga have a sort of formula to them that is easy to notice once you've read a couple. They're still really good, but they can come off as better than they actually are if you aren't that familiar with his writing. Pluto is the most uncharacteristic in this regard and is better for it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Monster is something I've been meaning to watch for years and watched a little bit of before but was too immature to fully appreciate. Pluto just sounded so interesting to me and the art looked beautiful. It has like a classic manga look but is really modern? That sounds really dumb but I hope it makes sense, kind of like the Casshern anime.

So based on my wikipediaing it's set in the Astro Boy universe or is at the very least a re-imagining of a particular storyline in the original Astro Boy manga. Which makes Atom Astro Boy? I have seen a picture of Pluto from the original Astro Boy and I smile a little every time imaging these terrifying events are being caused by that dude. I've also gone into Pluto with almost no knowledge and I am loving it!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pluto is definitely my favorite Urasawa.

Mostly because it's so short. He has a real problem with keeping a series going way too long, dragging out mysteries and stringing cliffhangers together for ages and ages. His skills really translate much better to a short series.

Also the way he translates Tezuka designs into real-looking people in incredible.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wait I thought he'd be a giant horned scary robot not a normal looking guy making flowers!

e: well hush my mouth

Also @begemoth yes I absolutely love Atom's design

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 31, 2017

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Begemot posted:

Pluto is definitely my favorite Urasawa.

Mostly because it's so short. He has a real problem with keeping a series going way too long, dragging out mysteries and stringing cliffhangers together for ages and ages. His skills really translate much better to a short series.

Also the way he translates Tezuka designs into real-looking people in incredible.

It was pretty funny rereading 20th Century Boys knowing about his love for cliffhangers. There's a million times where a scene ends on a character reacting in horror to something we can't see, it gets a little goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

A bunch of Saint Muscle chapters just dropped https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/saint-muscle-r13285

It's time to be naked and constantly flexing