Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Wazzit posted:

Ended up enjoying FD a lot more than I thought I would. It was a nice distraction in the first game but this feels a lot more polished and I like the addition of the store in-between rounds along with team money contributions. Also Monarch is an absolute beast in FD, maybe a little to OP. The few games I played I was a always at around half health and never lost a Titan due to the abundance of Titans roaming around and Battery Thief.

It's really good. The improvement over TF1 FD that I like best is the Aegis Rank unlocks. New stuff to unlock is always good, and it provides a concrete reward for playing FD. Unlocking such powerful upgrades would be obviously broken in regular multiplayer, but in PvE it provides a nice progression that carries between matches. Also the lvl 20 unlock for Legion is that he gets to have ALL HIS KITS AT THE SAME TIME.

Also, I felt the same about Monarch at first, but using Scorch last night taught me that losing your Titan isn't the biggest deal. There are so many enemies to build your meter that you can get a new one out pretty quick (Thunderbolt4lyfe) so as long as you don't lose it at a critical moment you'll be fine. Monarch's survivability is definitely an advantage, no denying that, but trading that for the advantages of other Titans is still a viable option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

runchild posted:

Also, I felt the same about Monarch at first, but using Scorch last night taught me that losing your Titan isn't the biggest deal. There are so many enemies to build your meter that you can get a new one out pretty quick (Thunderbolt4lyfe) so as long as you don't lose it at a critical moment you'll be fine. Monarch's survivability is definitely an advantage, no denying that, but trading that for the advantages of other Titans is still a viable option.

agreed. as someone who mains monarch, i sorta felt the same at first. but it quickly becomes apparent that while monarch is great at staying alive... its not the most punchy offensively. youre trading survivability for damage output (which is fine--but its definitely a tradeoff). i found it pretty hard to keep up kill-wise with the legions and scorches of the world (scorch owns hard in fd).

also... if you lose your titan, you can get it back in maybe 30-60 seconds, no joke. its not really a big deal at all.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just had a quick game before I do some rl poo poo but this mode is loving amazing fun. Ranking up your gear is really nice way to do it and learn the weapons!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Is the general consensus Ronin sucks for F_D? I see all the other titans and it strikes me Ronin might be a wee bit weak to stand agains the enemy horde.

Then again, he may be great at hunting mortar Titans, so what do I know.

I can't stop playing Monarch but maybe I should give Ronin a go.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

A team of Ronin's no but at least one is definitely viable

Also on that new map with clear lines for filtering hordes it feels like a PC 3D tower defense game especially late game when there's traps and turrets everywhere

This isn't a bad thing

We beat hard last night, didn't take too many tries. The titan upgrades definitely help. I think I'm aegis level 10 so I can try the next one

Also Ion is probably not the most ideal on FD but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Ion is my boo

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I liked Ion on FD but then again i only played him on Rise which I feel is great for tripwires but poo poo for his shield since you're only getting fire from one lane most of the time and therefore don't get a ton of poo poo to throw back.

Legion though is my special boy and I will always love him, especially in FD where power-shot crits will nearly auto-doom the squishier enemies.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I use double dash and am generally constantly cruising the map on mortar dudy etc. the shield helps me peace out when 8 titans drop around me

Trip wire is definitely good when titans are stacked. Grunts and such I obviously just run over

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Snuffman posted:

Is the general consensus Ronin sucks for F_D? I see all the other titans and it strikes me Ronin might be a wee bit weak to stand agains the enemy horde.

Then again, he may be great at hunting mortar Titans, so what do I know.

I can't stop playing Monarch but maybe I should give Ronin a go.

He can apparently kick ungodly amounts of rear end with the Highlander kit. If he had the Aegis Rank 20 upgrade every one of those kills would have given him a small chunk of shield and he could have kept it up even longer.

And like we just discussed, losing a Titan just isn't as big a deal as it is in other modes. I haven't tried Ronin in FD yet but Nuke Eject seems like it'd be pretty good in a mode where enemy Titans often travel in groups.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

runchild posted:

He can apparently kick ungodly amounts of rear end with the Highlander kit. If he had the Aegis Rank 20 upgrade every one of those kills would have given him a small chunk of shield and he could have kept it up even longer.

Woah. Pro-watch.

Definitely trying the Ronin now.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Ronin is really underwhelming until getting the first Aegis upgrade. It increases melee damage so that you can kill things a lot quicker.

Guillermus posted:

I found Tone underwhelming in FD. The weapon is great against titans but little enemies annoy me a lot. That doesn't happen as Scorch because :flame:

Tone's first Aegis upgrade increases the splash damage on the 40mm. You can basically clear a whole squad of grunts/specters with one shot.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

runchild posted:

Cockpit view:

Bonus audio :haw:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Playing Ronin in frontier defense makes you feel like a Gundam villain on a rampage, it owwwwns

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Anyone else feel like the aegis upgrades for ion are kinda... Dry? Maybe its just because im a big slut for laser beams and dont really bother with splitting my shots much? The core extension on kills sounds fun though!

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Zebrasectomy posted:

Anyone else feel like the aegis upgrades for ion are kinda... Dry? Maybe its just because im a big slut for laser beams and dont really bother with splitting my shots much? The core extension on kills sounds fun though!
The splitter is good for taking on groups. Equipping the 5-way splitter and unloading on a group clears them out decently fast. To be fair to Respawn, I'm not sure what other upgrades they could have done to Ion. The laser shot is already very powerful, and the primary fire on the splitter rifle is also good. Improvements like faster reload and more ammo would be just as underwhelming for Aegis upgrades.

Frontier Defense is fun for a game or two, but the fact it's separated from mixtape is one of my two things I think Respawn needs to improve upon. The changes to mixtape since launch has been a godsend, but then they leave the featured game mode and now FD separated. Ideally I'd like to boot up TF2, choose all the modes I want to play, and leave it that way for my entire session. Exiting matchmaking to switch game modes is enough of a inconvenience that now I have to decide if I'm either in a PVP mode or PVE mode when I boot up TF2. The second thing Respawn needs to do is have multiple loadouts per Titan. My Titan builds for FD don't work well for PVP and again it's another inconvenience to switch the multiple perks around.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oh man, that's some major inconvenience there. :rolleyes:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

If you're not using piercing shot on Northstar in FD you're a drat fool.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
extended legion core on frontier defence is so good

Gunder
May 22, 2003

One negative consequence of Frontier Defence is crappy queue times for normal multiplayer and worse quality matches when you eventually do get in. I've seen minutes long waits for attrition, and 4v4 matches.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

It'll go back to normal after this weekend, people just wanna get the new upgrades/banners and beat master difficulty. same thing happened in tf1 when FD came out.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
FD owns, highlander ronin is crazy good fun, and nuke rodeo is a hilariously fun ability when your team somehow fails to stop that cluster of spicy scorchboys and legions from hanging out near your harvester.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Alkarl posted:

FD owns, highlander ronin is crazy good fun, and nuke rodeo is a hilariously fun ability when your team somehow fails to stop that cluster of spicy scorchboys and legions from hanging out near your harvester.

Oh, I though the nuke eject was just a single titan insta-kill, that's cool.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Maybe y'all know but in FD you can pick your turret and mines up to replace them

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
God Homestead is still such a garbage map even in FD. Who looked at a map that's mostly a wide open plain with very little cover and decided "Yes this is the perfect map for a horde mode"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What?! Man, I got stuck on War Games over and over and over and was starting to dislike FD, and finally got homestead and thought it was amazing. That final Titan onslaught is the poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, I think at this point it's a toss up between Ronin and Scorch for best F_D titan.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, I think at this point it's a toss up between Ronin and Scorch for best F_D titan.

Legion smartcore says hello....

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think Rise is definitely the worst FD map I've played due to just being boring. The final wave of lumbering nuke boys is incredibly anticlimactic, and the plasma drone waves can practically be handled by turrets. Maybe it changes on higher difficulties but the map feels too simple. Fantastic pilot map, though.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

It was definitely more fun in TF1 where it was only two waves.

1) A single sniper spectre

2) The entire IMC army

good times

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

The GIG posted:

God Homestead is still such a garbage map even in FD. Who looked at a map that's mostly a wide open plain with very little cover and decided "Yes this is the perfect map for a horde mode"

homestead is sick, even if i do feel vaguely guilty on the first wave. take along a spitfire and when the grunts all come storming through the smoke it's like the galipoli landing, just firing blindly into the smoke and getting constant hitmarkers

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

The GIG posted:

I finally got Homestead in FD yesterday and despite my hate for it in the other game modes I actually think it's one of the better FD maps. Liked it more than Kodai and Rise at least.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Nuke Rodeo is so good.

http://imgur.com/YlB0BkE

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I enjoy that the Titans in this are slightly dumb and not quite as keen to destroy pilots as other players are in PvP... Makes fun poo poo like that possible. (at least on the difficulties I played on last night)

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Are Aegis upgrades cumulative or do you have to select one per match?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Cumulative.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm in love with FD and I only played regular difficulty ones. Got to kill 44 titans and be the titan slayer with Sorch. Loving how you can level up weapons and stuff for normal MP and hell, people seem to play as a team more often.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

hiddenriverninja posted:

Are Aegis upgrades cumulative or do you have to select one per match?

It's kinda misleading but that's just so you can cycle through and read them all, not to select

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Buying nuke rodeo unlocks it for the whole round then?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think you get one charge of nuke rodeo. My biggest gripes with people in FD are no one going after mortar titans and no one repairing their sentries.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Racked up over 100 kills with sentry turret on Homestead. Suck it noobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Racked up over 100 kills with sentry turret on Homestead. Suck it noobs

I was about to be smug about getting 78 kills but looks like someone stole that privilege.