Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

:eyepop:

A successor to Kuuga?!?!? I must watch Wizard immediately!

You really shouldn't

You REALLY shouldn't

Also he doesn't actually do it unlike Kuuga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i still don't know how i kept watching wizard after 8 goddamn plodding episodes dedicated to introducing his unexciting 'element but more' dragon forms

like, i don't hate wizard as much as this thread does but goddamn was that unforgivable

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
A lot of the issues with Wizard are simply plodding, failing to follow up on things, and having flashes of joy that turn to empty aching when the show returns to normal. Negative sins, basically, rather than positive ones. Rarely is it actively offensive.

There are some moments I think are really especially bad, and I think they are largely towards the back half.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Wizard was my first Rider series.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Xelkelvos posted:

You poor thing

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

it's amazing that you had a second, then

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think it's kinder this way. If it's their first, they had no expectations other than special effects and kicking, which Wizard does manage to deliver on most of the time.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
If I started with Gaim or W, Wizard would have disappointed me harder for sure. Kiva is apparently legit bad and some of you must have started with it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i started with fourze, which had the usual promo for the next series at the end.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

GuyUpNorth posted:

If I started with Gaim or W, Wizard would have disappointed me harder for sure. Kiva is apparently legit bad and some of you must have started with it.

Kiva had ups and downs. It started pretty strong and ended pretty strong, imo, but it got weird as hell in the middle. I think the father/son parallel stories thing might have been a little too ambitious for that production.

Nago Keisuke as IXA is still probably in my top 3 secondary riders, though. I always appreciate a decent execution of "Lawful Good is not the same as Lawful Nice", and the suit is so loving cool.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I started with Decade, and that didn't stop me.

Wizard drat near did though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I started with Kuuga and haven't hit anything else with the same highs as that series. :sigh:

That said I don't regret continuing because Agito was fun, W is fun, and I'm hyped for Build. And there's still a lot to see - once I get over my mourning over no more Kuuga the other shows in the franchise will fare better, too, as they're usually just plain good.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I started... with Ex-Aid.

Everything is going to be downhill from here, isn't it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Coq au Nandos posted:

Watch W. It has a similar(ish) feel and is super charming.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Coq au Nandos posted:

That depends how do you feel about shows made in the 70s and/or really serious ones

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's amazing that you had a second, then

Gaim was the second and everyone knows how wild a ride that ended up being.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Instead of watching and finishing any one show, how about I start Ultraman Ginga, watch another episode of Geed, and watch ten minutes of W today? Good job, crazy brain!

https://twitter.com/sousai_h/status/890940111101206529

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you start Ginga

Why would anyone start Ginga

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I like Ginga's theme song.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

Because it has Ultraman Taro lurking in the forest

trying to convince innocent young men to stick things into the sole of his foot

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

okay non-shitposting answer

A friend on twitter mentioned that they were waiting for their Ultraman 500 figures to ship and I saw how cute + cheap those things are, so I went googling and saw Ultraman Victory and was shocked at how cool he looks. So, more googling followed: he shows up in the sequel to Ginga, and then in a few other things.

So Ginga's like 11 episodes, is about two men fighting with their action figure collections, and I'm staying up super late - so I'm all goofy and punch-drunk so I look at this and go "why the hell not" and I watch Ginga and giggle my way through the first episode. It's stupid, it's a riot, it unashamedly has Ultraman Taro be a cheap toy who wants to be fixed so he can be big again. The fight looked good, too!

So I'll probably watch more of Ginga later! I'm watching Geed ep 3 now, and this is like, complete flipside: Geed is serious, legit good, and has a girl with a sword.

e: Also my birthday's soon so I might use that as an excuse to buy myself a collection of 5$ Ultraman toys, because drat, yes I want those goofballs on my shelf. (Zero :kimchi:)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
:yeah: Geed is really good. I usually burn out on Ultraman after a few episodes for various reasons, but Geed has its hooks in me pretty deep for some reason.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

:yeah: Geed is really good. I usually burn out on Ultraman after a few episodes for various reasons, but Geed has its hooks in me pretty deep for some reason.

It's actually well-written? The characters are all charming? Like, drat, this show is out and out a delight and also I am digging how it displays the serious side of kaiju attacks - we got evacuations, shelters, homes being destroyed AND people being afraid of both of the combatants, even if the Ultraman is on their side.

e: I am even more hyped for Build!

https://twitter.com/CubeDamashii/status/890666133858144258

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 28, 2017

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Kiva had ups and downs. It started pretty strong and ended pretty strong, imo, but it got weird as hell in the middle. I think the father/son parallel stories thing might have been a little too ambitious for that production.

Nago Keisuke as IXA is still probably in my top 3 secondary riders, though. I always appreciate a decent execution of "Lawful Good is not the same as Lawful Nice", and the suit is so loving cool.

Hey, another Kiva fan exists! :) I just happen to like the weird stuff too by and large (conclusion of the Jiro 80's plot not withstanding). Nago takes a while to really become what I'd consider "good", although he's one of my favorite Riders, the hopeless egotistical dork. (I own a 753 T-shirt.)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm a fan of Kamen Rider IXA. Kiva would have been a better show if Kiva didn't exist.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm a fan of Kamen Rider IXA. Kiva would have been a better show if Kiva didn't exist.

I've seen that edit of the show.

It was, in fact, pretty good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Turns out, a show about Team Kamen Rider Belmont chasing down monsters and vampire lords is way more interesting than a show about a weak willed Alucard who wants to kill himself via time travel abortion.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
And buttons, don't forget the buttons.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I hope Build is good because the suit design isn't goofy and I really want a reason to watch a series again

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
build is about a post-apocalypse where a man achieves ultimate power by mixing energy drinks. if you want a kr that isn't incredibly goddamn goofy you should stick to amazons.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

if you want a kr that isn't incredibly goddamn goofy you should stick to amazons.

We passed the "goofy" marker in Amazons when the broom-powered guillotine showed up.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Shaezerus posted:

We passed the "goofy" marker in Amazons when the broom-powered guillotine showed up.

Or the weird fly Amazons making weird slurping noises as they drain a victim's brain through their ear and tell Chihiro he can't have any. Or Chihiro being such an epic screwup he can't deliver a cake without messing it up twice.

I have a friend downright convinced Amazons S2 is a stealth parody, and I can't entirely argue with him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kamen Rider has always been goofy.

The original Kamen Rider is super serious goofy as gently caress poo poo.

Here's the difference, really- the show either embraces the goofy and plays it totally straight faced, or it Deno's it and just makes it silly.

Gaim failed to do either consistently

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The only time Gaim wasn't straight-faced was in those early few episodes and with Oren.

And the Fruit Bowl, I guess.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

build is about a post-apocalypse where a man achieves ultimate power by mixing energy drinks. if you want a kr that isn't incredibly goddamn goofy you should stick to amazons.

I'm fine with goofy plot lines and comedy. But I haven't been able to get into Ex-Aid at all because the suits and gimmicks are all so stupid looking to me. Gaim was all fruit samurais but no one cared and the aesthetic wasn't in your face any time a suit was on screen. That's why I like Build's suits so far, cause the only thing that really identifies a suit half beyond its color is the eyes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Caphi posted:

The only time Gaim wasn't straight-faced was in those early few episodes and with Oren.

And the Fruit Bowl, I guess.

And the ending where all pretense of consequences were thrown out the window and the only character that earned anything got hosed over hardcore in favor of Literal Sociopath Michi becoming the hero

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked some parts of gaim quite a bit, but overall i'm not a fan.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Burkion posted:

And the ending where all pretense of consequences were thrown out the window and the only character that earned anything got hosed over hardcore in favor of Literal Sociopath Michi becoming the hero

I prefer to think Gaim ended one episode early.

e: to be clear I genuinely forgot that episode happened until just now

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Caphi posted:

I prefer to think Gaim ended one episode early.

e: to be clear I genuinely forgot that episode happened until just now

Yeah it'd be really nice if that was the case.

I wish I could forget that episode, you have no idea. Gaim is such an uneven show. Atrocious beginning, atrocious ending, and a roller coaster in between of really questionable poo poo, some good and some bad. The more the Oren stuff sits, the less acceptable it becomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Takatora coming back was fine because he deserved it but Micchy should have had Baron's fist shoved through his stomach and he bleeds out while no one helps him because he's spent the past 50 episodes backstabbing and betraying everyone until he was all alone and no one is there for him.

EDIT: also while Oren is a vaguely gross Homophobic stereotype he was never treated as anything less then a severe threat by everyone even when he was a generation behind on belt technology and it's difficult to say he wasn't actively respected.

• Locked thread