Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If there legitimately aren't any problems with it then you pretty much struck gold yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, on the one hand, congrats!

On the other hand, I hope it's full of roaches or spirits of the damned, you son of a bitch.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Digirat posted:

If there legitimately aren't any problems with it then you pretty much struck gold yeah

No, there don't seem to be any problems at all - the thing still has that "out-of-the-box new plastic" smell and it doesn't even have a scratch on it, so I can't even believe its prior owner used it . Besides, given that the console itself only came out like 9 or 10 months ago, at worst it can't have been used that much. Besides, Bull Moose is fairly awesome about this stuff and has a free 30-day guarantee where you can return any used item for a working version of the purchased item or a refund. So even if it didn't work, I could just bring it back for one that does.

And it's not like it lacked a controller or anything, it came with a Dualshock 4 that seems in fine condition plus a USB charging cord for it, an HDMI cord, and a power cord - that was it, besides the console itself. I assume that's everything it's supposed to come with? But anyway, it runs swimmingly, installed and booted up The Last of Us (remastered) and the graphics are abso-fuckin-lutely unreal compared to what I'm used to seeing. This thing is also SO quiet compared to my old PS3, which currently runs louder than my air conditioner (no joke).

I really think it had to be a pricing mistake, because there is just no one hell you should be selling a stack of 500GB Slim at $220 and 1TB Slim at $240, and then be selling a 1TB Pro for $250 right next to that. Especially given how barely used this one is.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, on the one hand, congrats!

On the other hand, I hope it's full of roaches or spirits of the damned, you son of a bitch.

Um yeah, I can understand there being some annoyance! But I already had a huge run of bad luck *before* this, so I think the world is balancing out my karma a little bit.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 27, 2017

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

VideoGames posted:

I started to try Bloodborne again. This time I made it all the way to the little sewer off the side of the two werwolves on a bridge. The rats scared the devil out of me then a lanky thing jumped out of the shadows and killed me.

This is the furthest I've gotten! I think I am going to give this game a try now that there is a void left by Horizon
Make sure to post your trip report in the BB thread. And if you get stuck on a boss plenty of us are around to give a hand.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh! I do have a fairly important logistical question that I didn't really find addressed in the OP...

I assume that (as I am using the same PSN account) all of my purchases remain just as accessible/playable on the PS4. I assume that like, some (but perhaps not all?) of the games that I purchased off PSN for my PS3/Vita will continue to work on my PS4. Classic PS1/PS2 games purchased at the store, for example, like FF7-FF9 and so on will work fine. What about a PS3 game like FF13? Or something random like Grim Fandango Remastered?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

Oh! I do have a fairly important logistical question that I didn't really find addressed in the OP...

I assume that (as I am using the same PSN account) all of my purchases remain just as accessible/playable on the PS4. I assume that like, some (but perhaps not all?) of the games that I purchased off PSN for my PS3/Vita will continue to work on my PS4. Classic PS1/PS2 games purchased at the store, for example, like FF7-FF9 and so on will work fine. What about a PS3 game like FF13? Or something random like Grim Fandango Remastered?

It varies from game to game. If it's Crossbuy, it'll work. Nothing else will. You can look through your library and it'll show what games you can download.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

basically nothing you just listed will work on ps4. some vita games are crossbuy with ps3/4 so they might work, but generally speaking nah. no ps3 game is gonna work on ps4 and none of the ps classics will because they're ps3 games. some ps3 games got ps4 remasters but they are separate games that you would have to purchase again

you will still have them tied to your account and you would be able to download and play them on a new ps3/vita, but the ps4 is not backwards compatible with previous systems

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

kaworu posted:

No. With a few exceptions. Just check the library on the ps4 to see whats available. The ps4 isnt backwarfs compatible.

E: im slow

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

kaworu posted:

FF13 is a PS3 game so it won't work on the PS4. The PS4 is not backwards compatible. It also won't play Vita games for the same reason.

Stuff like Grim Fandango is a PSN game, and they many times have cross-buy built in. Meaning, when you buy the PS3 version you automatically buy all versions, that sort of thing. But you'll have to check to know for sure.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Ah-ha, I see, so it kinda is all about CrossBuy.

It does look like a few games made the cut. FFVII appears to be available for PS4, but I may have to buy it for like a 4th time if I want to play it on that. But other stuff like classic GTA games (I hope) and others appear to be cross-platform or at least purchasable to play on it. I'll just keep my noisy PS3 around in case I get some craving to play Xenogears, you never know.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 27, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I've just into a new and exciting glitch! My controller remains perfectly functional on all parts of the home menu, and any Sony-associated storefront. It immediately ceases to work when I start a game or app of any kind. (So basically just Netflix and Witcher 3 these days, but I tested it with others and ran into the same problem.) There a system update that causes/fixes this because I honestly don't know what the gently caress

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh, ordered Nier Automata and got the Day 1 edition. I'm surprised there were any left.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

RatHat posted:

Huh, ordered Nier Automata and got the Day 1 edition. I'm surprised there were any left.

lol, I don't think you can buy a physical copy of Nier that isn't the "day one edition". It's a silly trick Square plays with all their games, to make the first shipment seem more special.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I was about to say the same thing

Shame it doesn't actually add anything to the game besides some dumb skins you barely see

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the emil head is good

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
The classic console pod skins were cool.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Awesome! posted:

the emil head is good

You don't need the day one edition for that though?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Good god. I can't believe how fantastic this thing is now that I'm actually using it. The controller alone is a huge improvement (and does not constantly feel sticky in my hands because of the make of the plastic). Everything looks better and runs smoother, even with the same TV.

Just watching an old episode of Star Trek looks better. Amazon streaming actually runs smoothly and properly now. And again, the PS4 Pro does NOT sound like a 1980s hairdryer set to High, unlike my old PS3.

Not really quite sure how I feel about the design and look of the machine (why don't they just make it normal black box with outlets whats the goddamn point).

But you know, I have to say this - I haven't felt this, er... excited about owning new gaming console since I got a PS2 on practically the day it came out 17 years ago - as I recall, I was equally as excited about it being a DVD player (and upgrading from goddamn VHS!) as it being a next-generation gaming console. And I must say, I am equally excited about this system's 4K ability once I get a good enough TV to keep up with this console.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i forget, is the pro any quieter / less prone to spin up fans to max than the og

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

baram. posted:

i forget, is the pro any quieter / less prone to spin up fans to max than the og

yes to both

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone played a flame in the flood? Looks pretty cool and it's on sale.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

baram. posted:

The slim is drat quiet too. Only Doom makes it make some noise and then it is for a few minutes before going quiet again.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Speaking of Doom, I thought the full game was free this weekend, I got to the first Health upgrade and it wiped out a "Buy now" screen on me.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I am gay for dark souls and have been gay for dark souls ever since the first one came out.

I saw a PS4 Slim for 260 bux, and I have waited looooonnnnnnng enough to play Bloodborne. Is it worth it? And follow up, is Nioh worth it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fargin Icehole posted:

I am gay for dark souls and have been gay for dark souls ever since the first one came out.

I saw a PS4 Slim for 260 bux, and I have waited looooonnnnnnng enough to play Bloodborne. Is it worth it? And follow up, is Nioh worth it?

Yes on both. Niohs not as good and its easy to burn out on cause theres so much iffy sidecontent but its a top ps4 exclusive fo sho

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Bloodborne is the best Souls game and I've only played the Nioh beta but I'm convinced it's the best imitation of a Souls game

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Should I fork up out more cash for the PS4 pro instead of getting the year or two old Slim?

Last God of War i played was 2, and there's some exclusives that interest me. Trying to justify the purchase because at first I was willing to spend 300 dollars on a console + bloodborne when it came out, realizing how stupid that is.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think if you don't have a PS4, you may as well just go all in and get the Pro.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I'm also trying to decide whether the Pro is worth it. I have a 4k tv, but I'm cheap. Also I already played through Bloodborne on my cousin's PS4 so it doesn't have that influencing me.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I don't regret getting my slim last year for $230 but now there's a deal on a pro. $360 at jet.com and another 10% in points redeemable for amazon gift cards if you buy it through swagbucks bringing it down to $320 wth free shipping and not tax unless you live in jet's home states. I pulled the trigger on it. Figure i can sell the slim for what I paid for it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Deals/comments/6ps0kq/playstation_4_pro_1tb_game_console_35900_at_jet/

Barring that deal, I don't think the pro is worth it over the slim if you can find the slim for the low 200's and you don't have a 4k TV. I'm mostly upgrading because of the low price, and I want 1080p remote play.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 28, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I'm also trying to decide whether the Pro is worth it. I have a 4k tv, but I'm cheap. Also I already played through Bloodborne on my cousin's PS4 so it doesn't have that influencing me.

see OP

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nier: Automata's soundtrack is a lot better than I was expecting.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RatHat posted:

Nier: Automata's soundtrack is a lot better than I was expecting.
What were you expecting? The series is famous for good music.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea Nier has my favorite game soundtrack ever. I never paid attention really or listened to game soundtracks outside of playing the actual game until Nier

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Nier has one of my favorite soundtracks. Automata less so but it's still pretty good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Fargin Icehole posted:

Bloodborne is tied for game of the decade with The Last of Us, at least in this lovely goon's opinion.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BB and MGSV were the first PS4 games I played and they solidified it as my favourite console ever.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uh you know MGSV is crossplatform right?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sure but there was a deal that bundled a PS4, MGSV and the Destiny special edition so it was a no brainer for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Dragon Quest 11 is old school expensive in Japan, 9698 yen and no kind of standard edition/deluxe edition anything. I wonder if it's worth it for someone who hasn't beaten FF15 yet?