Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

SteelMentor posted:

Painting models grants points alongside game wins.

Do you not have to then play the models you paint in a game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

The Bee posted:

That is both an interesting way to encourage new players to get into the hobby, and a really annoying way of giving experienced, talented players with model backlogs a big boost. Especially when painting up Poxwalkers alone almost makes a Chaos player on par with an Imperium one, assuming Dark Imperium.

Any plans on how to close the gap?

Stop dithering around bouncing from project to project and get at least a couple of squads of Deathwatch finished. Gonna get a boost from the new Marine stuff next week as well, Deathwatch up some Reivers and the new characters.

Also, from what I understand game wins grant more points than finished units so just doing my usual thing of hustling for as many games as I can will help.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Do you not have to then play the models you paint in a game?

No, just painting a unit to completion scores you a point.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
What do you guys do to stay focused and finish people? I find that as of late I put a series on Netflix on in the background that I enjoy and have likely seen half a dozen times (Peep show, Inbetweeners) as background noise and set a session goal (Paint all the leather on X dudes, highlight all the X and Y panels, etc).

Problem I still get poo poo done at a snails pace. I genuinely enjoy painting, but when I'm doing it I can't do it for ages because it's like I get mentally fatigued.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

a cock shaped fruit posted:

What do you guys do to stay focused and finish people? I find that as of late I put a series on Netflix on in the background that I enjoy and have likely seen half a dozen times (Peep show, Inbetweeners) as background noise and set a session goal (Paint all the leather on X dudes, highlight all the X and Y panels, etc).

Problem I still get poo poo done at a snails pace. I genuinely enjoy painting, but when I'm doing it I can't do it for ages because it's like I get mentally fatigued.

Get an airbrush, some meth, and some good music. Models fly by.

Add in oil washes and its magic!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

I only seem to be able to focus on painting when I'm in a store, being in that environment helps me focus. Home has way too many distractions.

Or a hotel room a few hours before a tournie starts. That helps to.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

SteelMentor posted:

I only seem to be able to focus on painting when I'm in a store, being in that environment helps me focus. Home has way too many distractions.

Or a hotel room a few hours before a tournie starts. That helps to.

I mostly like to paint entire armies two weeks before a tournament and finishing at like 2am the night before.

Who needs sleep to play well!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Wow man these new Crisis suit sculpts are lookin' sick

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Oh no! My hobby lamp fell off my desk sometime last night and broke. Had it for 10 years. Was a dayglo type lamp with magnifying glass. A real work horse. Man down!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Picked up a squad of real Vangaurd Veterans today, after a proxied squad wrecked face in a game. Ended up equipping all of them except the Sergeant with Power Sword + Chainsword, and the Sergeant got a Relic Blade + Chainsword. Should be good for 11 Power Sword/Relic Blade attacks and 20 Chainsword attacks at full strength, which sounds like.... enough. Looking forward to actually being able to get through armor.

EDIT: did the Chainsword get FAQ'd to require an attack dedicated to it first? Or can I actually roll with 21 Power/Relic attacks and 10 Chainsword attacks instead?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

dexefiend posted:

OH right yeah thats.....wait.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Picked up a squad of real Vangaurd Veterans today, after a proxied squad wrecked face in a game. Ended up equipping all of them except the Sergeant with Power Sword + Chainsword, and the Sergeant got a Relic Blade + Chainsword. Should be good for 11 Power Sword/Relic Blade attacks and 20 Chainsword attacks at full strength, which sounds like.... enough. Looking forward to actually being able to get through armor.

EDIT: did the Chainsword get FAQ'd to require an attack dedicated to it first? Or can I actually roll with 21 Power/Relic attacks and 10 Chainsword attacks instead?

No, you were correct. You do have to swing with the chainsword to get the extra attack

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Played our first Konor game at 40k night. 100pl Ultramarines held off Blood Angels and Black Templars in a series of war games to test Ultramar's defenses.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Pendent posted:

No, you were correct. You do have to swing with the chainsword to get the extra attack

Thanks. The description in the index just says "each time the bearer fights", and I couldn't remember if it'd been FAQ'd or not.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's all love, peace, and taco grease on this week's 40k Badcast!
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/07/27/40k-badcast-14-welcome-to-flavortown/

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

SRM posted:

Heck yeah, I had just started painting some poo poo.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I am being completely serious when I say that you guys have quickly become my favorite 40k podcast.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pendent posted:

I am being completely serious when I say that you guys have quickly become my favorite 40k podcast.

What other ones are any good? I like Independent Characters a lot but kinda can't stand Chapter Tactics.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

What other ones are any good? I like Independent Characters a lot but kinda can't stand Chapter Tactics.

Preferred Enemies and Independent Characters are the only ones I can stand listening to aside from the Badcast. I've been through a ton and dislike the vast majority for various reasons.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Combined Arms is good. They're young though, only 2 episodes in. And they're not just 40k but last episode was.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Thanks goes to Zuul for the inspiration!

It felt good to paint a mini!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
With some head and weapon swaps/modifications this could make for a silly and/or cool Tau suit conversion and it's only five dollars

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

dexefiend posted:

Best advice.

Black_Nexus posted:

I mostly like to paint entire armies two weeks before a tournament and finishing at like 2am the night before.

Who needs sleep to play well!

More amazing advice.

Procrastipainting and good kicks are the only way. As was written in Codex Colouris.

Pidgin Englishman fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 28, 2017

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
The drybrushing was still wet on my Vindicaire and Steel Legion during that first Abaddon's 13th crusade event like 15 years ago. gently caress a varnish.

If anyone remembers: it was this grand melee thing that was touring the stores where everyone brought in 750 points worth of whatever and either joined Abaddon and his giant ultra-mega-palanquin siege-tank or stood on the walls and helped defend Cadia. You could try and delay the tank by deep striking guys on Abaddon and the control console he was defending.

I just shot the console every turn with the Vindicaire. The tank never moved.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

dexefiend posted:

Thanks goes to Zuul for the inspiration!

It felt good to paint a mini!

Nice Howling Gibbon.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The spreadsheet helps because each group of dudes is a mini-project I can tick off. 5+5+5+10 is way easier to approach than 25.

Plus most of my stuff I know exactly how I'm gonna paint so it's repeating a formula. New or unique things take longer.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Just finished my Big Mek, Warboss, and Boss Snikrot.
Love painting Blood Axe Orks!
Click for 'uge!

My secret for painting, listening to old time radio sci-fi like X Minus One, or readings of Robert Howard or Lovecraft on archive.org.
I save 40k Badcast for cooking.

ToyotaThong fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 28, 2017

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

I'm old fashioned and don't have an airbrush (mainly because I'm too lazy to deal with setting up and cleaning one) so like you I'll either put on something I've seen several times before or some random Spotify playlist while batching 5-10 of whatever colour I'm working on. Back in the pre-child days I'd usually paint from start to finish in one session, but thanks to having to clear up my work area after each session I usually have a limited time and have to plan in advance what I'm doing. I've had the last few Death Guard marines from Dark Imperium that I bought last week "nearly finished" since the weekend for that reason.

I grabbed the small starter set the other day too in order to add to the backlog some variety to the models.

So here's my goal for the next week:

- 1 x Noxious Blight Bringer (almost finished)
- 1 x Plague caster (almost finished)
- 1 x Fetid Bloat Drone (needs basing)
- 10 x Plague marines (3 finished, 4 almost, 3 primed)
- 23 x Pox Walkers (23 primed)

All need basing. Once those are done, I've got the entire Marine half to work with but I've no idea what to paint them up as. If I can find where I stashed my old Dark Angels or Blood Ravens then they might join either of those chapters, otherwise something different.

In short I either need to find some new TV series/Spotify lists or find a local meth dealer.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Help me goons! I have a bunch of warhammer stuff I found from probably a decade ago at my parents house. Is it worth anything? If I wanted to just get it out of my house what should I try and sell the lot for? Thanks for taking a look.

http://imgur.com/a/4Cl9V

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

richyp posted:

So here's my goal for the next week:

- 1 x Noxious Blight Bringer (almost finished)
- 1 x Plague caster (almost finished)
- 1 x Fetid Bloat Drone (needs basing)
- 10 x Plague marines (3 finished, 4 almost, 3 primed)
- 23 x Pox Walkers (23 primed)

All need basing. Once those are done, I've got the entire Marine half to work with but I've no idea what to paint them up as. If I can find where I stashed my old Dark Angels or Blood Ravens then they might join either of those chapters, otherwise something different.

Had a couple of free hours this morning to at least finish some of them.

The finished and almost finished models.

Happy Larry

Green Bro's in much bigly close up

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Flea Bargain posted:

Help me goons! I have a bunch of warhammer stuff I found from probably a decade ago at my parents house. Is it worth anything? If I wanted to just get it out of my house what should I try and sell the lot for? Thanks for taking a look.

http://imgur.com/a/4Cl9V

If you sell it as a single lot it will be harder to move and you will get less for it. That said $100-$200 maybe? Without a better list or better pictures it's though to be more accurate. The tanks are probably your biggest ticket items.

Where are you located? Depending on your answer I'm calling dibs.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 28, 2017

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Updated with gun arms:

richyp posted:

Had a couple of free hours this morning to at least finish some of them.

The finished and almost finished models.

Happy Larry

Green Bro's in much bigly close up

Hey, nice to see you back man. Minis are looking great as always.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Some top-tier stuff itt. Great job richyp and adamantium|wang

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

adamantium|wang posted:

Updated with gun arms:

Hey, nice to see you back man. Minis are looking great as always.

Those boys are sick :vomarine:

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Indolent Bastard posted:

If you sell it as a single lot it will be harder to move and you will get less for it. That said $100-$200 maybe? Without a better list or better pictures it's though to be more accurate. The tanks are probably your biggest ticket items.

Where are you located? Depending on your answer I'm calling dibs.

Melbourne, Australia. Thanks for your help! I'll take better pictures tomorrow and see if I can move it for 200

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Us Australians get slapped with a huge mark up with GW stuff so you could probably get away with double that. Tanks go NIB for over $80 each these days.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Flea Bargain posted:

Melbourne, Australia. Thanks for your help! I'll take better pictures tomorrow and see if I can move it for 200

I'm an Aussie goon who deals a lot with buying/selling hobby product.Hit me up in PM if you want.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

I'm an Aussie goon who deals a lot with buying/selling hobby product.Hit me up in PM if you want.

Cheers, PMed.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Dakka Crosspost...

https://imgur.com/a/jvbdX

HQ:

Captain in Terminator Armour: -17 pts
Librarian in Terminator Armour: -2 pts
Techmarine: -13 pts

Removed:
Chaplain on Bike.
Librarian on Bike.
Techmarine on Bike.
Land Raider Excelsior.
Rhino Primaris.

Elites:

Centurion Assault Squad: -20 pts
Chapter Champion: -5 pts.
Company Champion: -16 pts
Ironclad Dreadnaught: -40 pts

Removed:
Apothecary on Bike.
Company Ancient on Bike.
Company Champion on Bike.
Company Veterans on Bikes.
Damned Legionnaires.
Imperial Cpace Marine.
Tyrannic War Veterans.

Fast Attack:
Attack Bikes: -10 pts
Bikes: -6 pts
Inceptors: -15 pts
Land Speeders: -10 pts
Scout Bikes: -2 pts

Heavy Support:
Centurion Devastators: +15 pts
Hellblasters: -2 pts
Predator: -12 pts
Stalker: -10 pts
TFC: +27 pts (They added the cost of the gun to the platform, and made the THF itself 0 points)
TFC Gunner: -10 pts
Vindicator: -25 pts
Whirlwind: -15 pts

Dedicated Transports:
Drop Pod: -10 pts
Land Speeder Storm: -10 pts

Troops:
No change.

Flyers:
No change.

Named Characters:

Chaplain Cassius: -40 pts
The Emperors Champion: -33 pts
Marneus Calgar: -50 pts
Marneus Calgar in AA: removed.
Sergeant Chronus: -23 pts
Sergeant Telion: -14 pts

Removed:
Marneus Calgar in Artificer Armour.

Ranged Weapons:

Plasma incinerator: -3 pts
Skyspear Missile Launcher: -30 pts
Special Issue Boltgun: -1 pts

Removed:
Conversion Beamer.
Twin Autocannon.
Twin Heavy Flamer.
Twin Plasmagun.

Melee Weapons:
Lightning Claws: -1/-1 pts
Powerfist: -8 pts
Thunder Hammer: -4 pts

WhiteWolf123 fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 28, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Mangelos is up for pre-order, rules are free!

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/...uestid=10968425

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Downloads/Gabriel%20Angelos%20web%20download%20v2.pdf

Sad they didn't tweak the face any more, still looks kinda naff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
His entire head is just loving enormous.