Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Mr Fronts posted:

Yeah, does anyone even remember the "Mouse Commander" fiasco?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3ZvnUnUkU&t=38s

Remember it? Mouse Commander never ended, and Nebotes videos (both) are a few of many reasons I make the accusation of this being an intentional bait and switch vs a profitable accident that happens to be at the expense of the original pitches. Once the sim whales were out of milk they set their sights on fps whales and never looked back. They knew exactly what they were doing, whether that's crobbler himself or the predatory marketing dept that props him up makes no difference. Controls don't happen in by accident and the implications of various schemes (like how direct positioning leverages against velocity or acceleration controls, or using effectively unrestricted rotation rates or insane acceleration with instant start/stop axes...) are extremely well understood by people that do this for a living, even at stinky ole cig.

Sure crobbler has repeatedly demonstrated he doesn't understand physics or controls well enough to understand those implications so there is a nonzero chance his ignorant handwaving accidentally created yet another kbm clickfest and all the codemonkeys at cig happen to be console/fps devs (at best). I just find it extremely unlikely that like (almost) every publisher does, 'flight' heavily favors kbm loving 'master race' fps whales based on the underlying assumption there are not enough joystick whales to provide enough milk over the long haul. What made sc so appealing in those early days was the repeated conscious pushes ('nothing like Freelancer' 'no ship follows the guns' 'no point and click' 'get yer joysticks out' *'controls agnostic' 'wing commander with physics' ad nauseum) to make it really appear they understood and appreciated the results of compromising controls to appease kbm shooters and wrapped themselves in that flag.

...till around 40-60mil when the game unequivocally turned into Mouse Commander and has remained ever since, complete with retconned explanations describing flight goals as being 'fast and frenetic' 'easy to get into the action' instead of the 'realistic physics/controls agnostic' drum they beat for the first year or so. What is truly sad af is that they did not have to kill it for the sim grognards for this to be popular for everyone else, and they wouldn't even need to restrict flight as much as ED to achieve this, though that is a living example that it can be done. True *agnostic controls are 100% possible, at the correct rotation and acceleration rates and enough limitations (better yet elimination of) on direct positioning schemes, to the point that you 100% can not tell if someone is playing with a mouse or stick because it doesn't matter anymore.

Obviously I don't understand controls development.

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Percelus posted:

they probably work out the box with cryengine unless cig hosed that up
Unless... hahaha.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

holy smokes he said this in March

moma was totally calling it way before derek was :vince:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

this game won't have working AI this decade i'm calling it

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Thoatse posted:

Remember it? Mouse Commander never ended, and Nebotes videos (both) are a few of many reasons I make the accusation of this being an intentional bait and switch vs a profitable accident that happens to be at the expense of the original pitches. Once the sim whales were out of milk they set their sights on fps whales and never looked back. They knew exactly what they were doing, whether that's crobbler himself or the predatory marketing dept that props him up makes no difference. Controls don't happen in by accident and the implications of various schemes (like how direct positioning leverages against velocity or acceleration controls, or using effectively unrestricted rotation rates or insane acceleration with instant start/stop axes...) are extremely well understood by people that do this for a living, even at stinky ole cig.

Sure crobbler has repeatedly demonstrated he doesn't understand physics or controls well enough to understand those implications so there is a nonzero chance his ignorant handwaving accidentally created yet another kbm clickfest and all the codemonkeys at cig happen to be console/fps devs (at best). I just find it extremely unlikely that like (almost) every publisher does, 'flight' heavily favors kbm loving 'master race' fps whales based on the underlying assumption there are not enough joystick whales to provide enough milk over the long haul. What made sc so appealing in those early days was the repeated conscious pushes ('nothing like Freelancer' 'no ship follows the guns' 'no point and click' 'get yer joysticks out' *'controls agnostic' 'wing commander with physics' ad nauseum) to make it really appear they understood and appreciated the results of compromising controls to appease kbm shooters and wrapped themselves in that flag.

...till around 40-60mil when the game unequivocally turned into Mouse Commander and has remained ever since, complete with retconned explanations describing flight goals as being 'fast and frenetic' 'easy to get into the action' instead of the 'realistic physics/controls agnostic' drum they beat for the first year or so. What is truly sad af is that they did not have to kill it for the sim grognards for this to be popular for everyone else, and they wouldn't even need to restrict flight as much as ED to achieve this, though that is a living example that it can be done. True *agnostic controls are 100% possible, at the correct rotation and acceleration rates and enough limitations (better yet elimination of) on direct positioning schemes, to the point that you 100% can not tell if someone is playing with a mouse or stick because it doesn't matter anymore.

Obviously I don't understand controls development.

I still Remember Nebs posts from the CvC Katamari

Did you actually remember what got him to quit?

He worked on a Design for Item based spaceships (explaining how ships made of components and Pipelines could actually function, the trigger word is modularity)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l4sKRiciqA

he lost it when he saw and understood what CIG actually did for "modularity"

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Percelus posted:

this game won't

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Variable 5 posted:

It's probably intentional. Don't they have a ship named the Sabre?

Who can possibly care

If citizens fixated on anything other than ships this project could have experienced a refund cascade years ago.

I think about mining a lot. One of the very first basic things you would want to get working in your space game. But think about all the non-art it requires: asteroid belts, economy resources, a drat ship or player inventory system and UI, etc.
CIG gave themselves the added burden of fantasizing about mining as an entire complex mini-game so it's difficult to even try something basic without the risk of upsetting backers.

quote:

Upon selection of an asteroid, the center of mass is automatically calculated and the scan operator begins the process of gradually scanning for a suitable RMAP insertion point. This is a multi-faceted process involving a search for a section of surface geometry oriented such that its perpendicular traverses the center of mass or somewhere close to it.

At best, mining is years away. It's entirely possible that the project goes belly up before they even do a first pass.

It's easy to soothe backers by saying it's on the way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhra2SETLNs&t=2408s

Chris Roberts posted:

So we think we'll be able to do some version of basic mining by 3.0

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
At least if mining, refining, and trading were in-game there would be something for people to do and for goons to grief

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
crashing a bunch of auroras into a large mining ship in the middle of mining sounds fun. Remember when cig said that the whole thing could explode if you push it too far?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kromlech posted:

At least if mining, refining, and trading were in-game there would be something for people to do and for goons to grief

I'm pretty sure at this point we'd all be banned.

We already know they have marked us as "goons" in their internal software. They probably have a massive hateboner for us (probably because they consider us and Derek to be on a "team").

I would not be surprised if we got some kind of shadow ban in game.

*there is no game so this will never happen

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Even if Derek had never shown up, you would've all been marked as goons in their ticket system. You're uncontrollable critics.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Is there fidget spinners in this game? I need them for fidelity.

http://i.imgur.com/3dCPMji.gifv

but seriously will someone pls take a real fidget spinner gif and give it a touch of Olisar ringjank tia

ex:

http://i.imgur.com/dUKaPca.gifv

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

I still Remember Nebs posts from the CvC Katamari

Did you actually remember what got him to quit?

He worked on a Design for Item based spaceships (explaining how ships made of components and Pipelines could actually function, the trigger word is modularity)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l4sKRiciqA

he lost it when he saw and understood what CIG actually did for "modularity"

o7// katamari commando

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

We already know they have marked us as "goons" in their internal software. They probably have a massive hateboner for us (probably because they consider us and Derek to be on a "team").

If Borax is still a moderator he probated me for a year for posting "Never forget" on 9/11 and then a few days later went back and made it 10 years and did the same to one of my alt accounts which I had never even posted on.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
My wife is watching this Hulu show about the first stimpire https://youtu.be/PJTonrzXTJs

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

I seem to remember that vandal ship edit really annoying some reddit whales or something for some reason... unless is my addled brain making poo poo up again

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

thatguy posted:

If Borax is still a moderator he probated me for a year for posting "Never forget" on 9/11 and then a few days later went back and made it 10 years and did the same to one of my alt accounts which I had never even posted on.

What's really funny to me now that I think about it is how many people were given 10 year bans as a form of not a permaban that will be able to post again on their forum soon and star citizen will be no closer to coming out lol

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Thoatse posted:

What's really funny to me now that I think about it is how many people were given 10 year bans as a form of not a permaban that will be able to post again on their forum soon and star citizen will be no closer to coming out lol

Yea ill be back just in time for mvp

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

You have it all wrong. No one hates commandos more than CIG, as we can tell from every action they have ever taken. They probably would love it for goons to constantly destroy ships, further reinforcing their asinine idea of needing "Insurance" on JPEGs.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

It kind of sucks that MoMA has become another white noise poster.

I honestly don't fault him.

MoMA might be in the camp of 'true believer' for Star Citizen, but he isn't an rear end in a top hat, and he's been pretty fair and frank with the forum. Lethality is a dumb rear end in a top hat. Crymelion is a dumbasshole. MoMA is just a dude - A seemingly pretty nice dude! In return, SA hasn't really treated him with the same level of respect that he's given SA. Sure, MoMA's not a perfect dude, but as I said, he's been a decent poster on the other side of the fence. SA gets a hard-on every time something he says is even slightly wrong or untrue and instead of attempting to have a conversation about it - something MoMA seems at least somewhat willing to engage in - the forum just piles on him. I would stick to white noise as well under those circumstances.

So I have a request for the Thread: Be nicer to MoMA. Give him the benefit of the doubt by default. I'd argue MoMA seems reasonable, and as such, it's a matter of time before he's Beer 2.0.

To that end, I have a question for MoMA: CIG has delivered pretty much nothing that you'd hope they'd deliver by this time. This game isn't going anywhere and I really want to see you get a refund before it's too late. When are you going to get that refund? What's the trigger going to be?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

MoMA might be in the camp of 'true believer' for Star Citizen, but he isn't an rear end in a top hat, and he's been pretty fair and frank with the forum. Lethality is a dumb rear end in a top hat. Crymelion is a dumbasshole. MoMA is just a dude - A seemingly pretty nice dude! In return, SA hasn't really treated him with the same level of respect that he's given SA. Sure, MoMA's not a perfect dude, but as I said, he's been a decent poster on the other side of the fence. SA gets a hard-on every time something he says is even slightly wrong or untrue and instead of attempting to have a conversation about it - something MoMA seems at least somewhat willing to engage in - the forum just piles on him. I would stick to white noise as well under those circumstances.

So I have a request for the Thread: Be nicer to MoMA. Give him the benefit of the doubt by default. I'd argue MoMA seems reasonable, and as such, it's a matter of time before he's Beer 2.0.

To that end, I have a question for MoMA: CIG has delivered pretty much nothing that you'd hope they'd deliver by this time. This game isn't going anywhere and I really want to see you get a refund before it's too late. When are you going to get that refund? What's the trigger going to be?

what the gently caress is this garbage

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

What ever happened to the Banu Merchantman

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Stimpire.txt part 2 -- Stimpirical Boogaloo

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Beer is god, MoMa is Satan. Well that's my nuanced opinion and i'm stickin to it

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Stimpire.txt part 2 -- Stimpirical Boogaloo

Stimpire 2 -- The Worst Kind Of Electric Boogaloo

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kromlech posted:

Beer is god, MoMa is Satan. Well that's my nuanced opinion and i'm stickin to it

Concur.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

It is never mean or improper to make fun of things morons say when morons say moron things. Humor is the kryptonite to ego and MoMA isn't funny (most of the time).

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Alright can we just talk about CIG once more wrecking their Vehicles in the Name of "Sci Fi Design" ?

Look at the Wheel "Uprights" and "Hubs" of that thing... this is a horrible construction for an Offroad Vehicle. Anyone with a sense of understanding of Vehicle Engineering knows that the last thing you want to do in Offroad applications is to artifically lower the Ground Clearance of your Suspension components. indeed in real life, we do the exact opposite for high mobility offroad vehicles. We build them with whats called a "Portal Axis"

Look how all the loving stuff like Drive Shaft,Control Arm, Steering Rack and the whole axle with the (non visible) differential are moved as high as possible so you actually dont hit all the gnarly rocks in between your wheels.

This means CIG will basically have to disable collision checks with the Suspension of the Car and it will No Clip in full fidelity through all the Procedurally generated Rocks at glorious 15 FPS.

This is how you misdesign an Asset so bad, it becomes an issue to gameplay and you need to waste time, effort (and Gameplay quality) because an artist (or Thumb) felt it was cool to discard 150 years of Engineering experience and absolute common design knowledge to make something desperately look like some 80s retro Futurism.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 28, 2017

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

landng succsfl

http://i.imgur.com/pI94DuV.gifv

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

gently caress, I'm sorry...

Um... MoMA sucks and his opinions about Star Citizen suck! Gotcha bitch!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

No.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Dog Simulator 2017?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I wish I had a rug I loved this much.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
That poo poo about them wanting to add a nemesis system to the game is just mind-boggling in spite of the fact I was sure they had boggled all the mind I had to boggle. They don't have any of their game out, they don't need to be pissing around with features they can't implement when they're still trying to get people to sit down in a cafeteria without mopping the salad.

MoMA might be in the camp of 'true believer' for Star Citizen, but he isn't an rear end in a top hat, and he's been pretty fair and frank with the forum.

Nah I still remember how he spoke to Streetroller. That was lovely even if it was for trolling purposes. He's had nothing worthwhile to add when he started here and has been at best a distraction during down times. If his goal was to convince us all he was a loving idiot so we'd waste our time trying to antagonise him he achieved that in the first two weeks with that weird poo poo he was doing and saying (still don't know what the gently caress was up with the cat picture deleting stuff), at this point it's just noise and I think even he is bored keeping up the charade.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

MoMA might be in the camp of 'true believer' for Star Citizen, but he isn't an rear end in a top hat, and he's been pretty fair and frank with the forum.

I know my sabbatical from posting here discounts my opinion on this, but I agree.

I like MOMA's plucky spirit, even though he rarely responded to me directly last time I was here. I appreciate that he rolls with the punches and sometimes throws his own. He's produced a lot of laughs, often intentionally. As far as CIG advocates in the thread go, he's the MVP.

i_still_believe_in_MOMA.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Percelus posted:

this game won't have working AI this decade i'm calling it

I'm calling and fixing your quote, then call that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
please (clap) be (clap) kind (clap) to (clap) the (clap) paid (clap) CIG (clap) employee

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Combat Theory posted:

Alright can we just talk about CIG once more wrecking their Vehicles in the Name of "Sci Fi Design" ?

This is how you misdesign an Asset so bad, it becomes an issue to gameplay and you need to waste time, effort (and Gameplay quality) because an artist (or Thumb) felt it was cool to discard 150 years of Engineering experience and absolute common design knowledge to make something desperately look like some 80s retro Futurism.

Also fun to note from this picture it appears that the buggies RWD only. Maybe in the future 4wd isn't needed for off-road travel.