Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

As I've stupidly ranted before? The NFL Today had this down to a science.

One anchor. One beat reporter who covers random players/teams in the headlines. One former coach/player to break down plays. One gambling/fantasy guy for the degenerate gambler demo. 22 minutes. Maybe air a "THIS WEEK IN THE PRO FOOTBALL" revival or a local pregame show before that even.

Not everyone can be the NBA on TNT. That's fine! Just stick to the above and the quality will improve.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

As I've stupidly ranted before? The NFL Today had this down to a science.

One anchor. One beat reporter who covers random players/teams in the headlines. One former coach/player to break down plays. One gambling/fantasy guy for the degenerate gambler demo. 22 minutes. Maybe air a "THIS WEEK IN THE PRO FOOTBALL" revival or a local pregame show before that even.

Not everyone can be the NBA on TNT. That's fine! Just stick to the above and the quality will improve.

How many times have different outlets tried to make a show that tries to emulate a bunch of dudes sitting around talking about sports? Few if any have succeeded, and the NBA on TNT I don't think ever set out to be that but just sort of evolved (or devolved) into that based on the assorted personalities. Goes to show that you can't force that poo poo. Chemistry is either there or it's not and people can see right through it if you try to force it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mahoning posted:

How many times have different outlets tried to make a show that tries to emulate a bunch of dudes sitting around talking about sports? Few if any have succeeded, and the NBA on TNT I don't think ever set out to be that but just sort of evolved (or devolved) into that based on the assorted personalities. Goes to show that you can't force that poo poo. Chemistry is either there or it's not and people can see right through it if you try to force it.

The only times I've seen the "NBA on TNT" effect really happen in pro football was on MNF with Don Meredith, Howard Cossell, and Frank Gifford goofing off in the booth. Could make the argument that Summerall/Madden are also in that category to a lesser extent.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tragic we will not get to see Chris Berman try to fill 3 hours with nothing but various grunting sounds.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

Tragic we will not get to see Chris Berman try to fill 3 hours with nothing but various grunting sounds.

Just watch this on a three hour loop for an accurate representation

https://twitter.com/Enagym/status/8...D475%23lastpost

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

wasn't countdown 3 hours long a few years ago

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i watched five minutes of nfl countdown once and it lasted about 7 and a half hours

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think why ESPN is going full hog on this is solely because the NFL package they paid for is a MASSIVE white elephant for them.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Vertical Lime posted:

wasn't countdown 3 hours long a few years ago

Yeah, from like 2011 to 2014. Otherwise, it had always been a two hour show during the regular season.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

I think why ESPN is going full hog on this is solely because the NFL package they paid for is a MASSIVE white elephant for them.

Well that, and it's not as if there's a lot of other programming to run on a Sunday Morning for them that's going to draw anything.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I guess this is technically broadcasting but Last Chance U (the JucO Netflix show) is switching schools to some 5-4 program in Kansas. Some think it's down to Buddy Stephens rubbing people the wrong way but as someone who remembers coaches like that in HS, I thought it was par for the course (not saying it's right or wrong). I actually wonder if Brittany Wagner (the schools academic adviser for the players) leaving the school had a lot to do with them switching it up. So yeah, new school is Independence Community College.

http://thecomeback.com/streaming/potential-third-season-last-chance-u-appears-changing-location.html

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Well that, and it's not as if there's a lot of other programming to run on a Sunday Morning for them that's going to draw anything.

Yeah NFL stuff is still their biggest draw. I think the degree to which that NFL deal is hurting them is way overstated. It's true that they hosed up by letting NBC take Sunday Night, but the deal is probably still a net positive. Part of the reason the price is so high is that it included in a huge increase in the amount of NFL footage and highlights they're allowed to show, which they use to fill programming all day long. And even with a crappy game package, just having NFL games lets them charge high carriage fees, which they still make a ton of money from even if it's not as much as they were a few years ago or as much as Disney shareholders want.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Akileese posted:

I guess this is technically broadcasting but Last Chance U (the JucO Netflix show) is switching schools to some 5-4 program in Kansas. Some think it's down to Buddy Stephens rubbing people the wrong way but as someone who remembers coaches like that in HS, I thought it was par for the course (not saying it's right or wrong). I actually wonder if Brittany Wagner (the schools academic adviser for the players) leaving the school had a lot to do with them switching it up. So yeah, new school is Independence Community College.

http://thecomeback.com/streaming/potential-third-season-last-chance-u-appears-changing-location.html

If she left then there's really no point in continuing there tbh.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Akileese posted:

I'm most of the way through Season 2 and it's just not as good. They seemed to want to focus more on Buddy Stephens this season which took away a lot of the charm of the first season. I just don't find him to be all that compelling of a character. You can also tell that he's gotten a lot of feedback from the show and is playing to the cameras much more.

First season was amazing because I don't think they realized many people would be watching this so everything came across more natural. This season that changed. I'm happy they'll be moving on to another school. In fact, I hope they switch it up each season. There are a lot of great stories to tell.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/890999081039876096
https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/891107888256647169

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
"Running is lazy" - guy paid to talk about athletic achievement

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The moment I realized Cowherd was completely bogeys instead of mostly bogus was like 6 or so years ago when Joey Votto was having an MVP caliber season and Cowherd made a claim that Votto was a product of a small ballpark before fans pointed out that Vottos numbers were better on the road. He still tried to argue it but it wasn't a very convincing argument.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Teemu Pokemon posted:

"Running is lazy" - guy paid to talk about athletic achievement

Look at these lazy rear end motherfuckers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsK5neFCWKs

(jesus christ...going against a coked up Lawrence loving Taylor and a team coached by loving Belichick. While having Carl Banks in your face)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XcGqpTiqe8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O5fXUOAvoY

Seriously at this point the "Hot takes" are just comically stupid. It's like some idiot ripping on LeBron for some reason. I love QB's that are able to do what Cam does. I -WISH- so badly I had a QB like him. Go ask the 80's Browns how they felt playing against a "QB that ran", they'll respond by telling you that they should have been in a Super Bowl if not for one.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nobody tweets about Colin Cowherd if he says "Cam Newton is a good QB"

It's amazing to me that people still cannot grasp this incredibly obvious concept in 2017.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's amazing to me that people still cannot grasp this incredibly obvious concept in 2017.

Trolling for views is absolutely what he's doing but how many times can you do it before people just go "yeah Cowherd is a loving idiot who cares"

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm pretty sure we all get what he's doing and we all think it's loving moronic

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Peanut President posted:

Trolling for views is absolutely what he's doing but how many times can you do it before people just go "yeah Cowherd is a loving idiot who cares"

Whenever a coworker or friend brings up a take from a Cowherd, Smith, or whoever from that crowd I instinctively fall into a daze until we can start talking again.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

sportsgenius86 posted:

I can't imagine many of the people RTing the Panthers dunking on him watch his show or go to his website or do anything at all that somehow generates money for him or Fox. This is the sports version of the "oh but you talked about it so it worked" advertising fallacy.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Not directly media but media-related: the Ravens are considering signing Colin Kaepernick and are consulting Ray Lewis on the matter. Yes, ask the guy who (allegedly) killed someone if it's a good idea to sign the guy who won't stand for the national anthem.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Schremp Howard posted:

Not directly media but media-related: the Ravens are considering signing Colin Kaepernick and are consulting Ray Lewis on the matter. Yes, ask the guy who (allegedly) killed someone if it's a good idea to sign the guy who won't stand for the national anthem.

Even worse, Ray Lewis's advice to him was "Keep your activism private" which is......the opposite of activism.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Schremp Howard posted:

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/891805823965564928

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

As an accused (and likely) murderer who became beloved and widely respected as a "good guy" Ray Lewis is the perfect guy to point out what types of behaviour is acceptable in the NFL. It's a sad and terrible conclusion/reality but it's pretty clear at this point that physical violence (even against women and children assuming there isn't video) is preferred to political activism by GMs, owners, and twitter eggs.

edit: to clarify, I meant the good type of political activism against oppression and persecution, not some shitheel nonsense like Brady or some hick lineman talking about Trump.

BWV fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lewis is also super religious so he is inherently more acceptable to the rich white billionaire owners.

It's just peak NFL that these owners will give people charged with violent crimes another chance but blackball a guy who is gay or another who abhors police brutality.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

He should have gone to the CFL.

But that being said? I think it's mainly because he's a "meh" qb and people aren't really looking to stir up controversy for a guy of his skill set. If Tom Brady, or prime Peyton Manning were saying that sort of stuff, I don't think their teams would blackball them out out of the league.

LeBron James would perhaps be another case, If he protested in Cleveland? I could see some rumblings from the fans here, but they would shrug it off for the most part because our team, hell our city is completely relevant without him having "CLEVELAND" on the front of his uniform.

The (sad) lesson here? Want to make a political statement in sports? Make sure you're a generational talent, otherwise the liklihood of you staying on an NFL roster is slim.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 2, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

If Tom Brady, or prime Peyton Manning were saying that sort of stuff, I don't think their teams would blackball them out out of the league.

You're not wrong, but there's a whole other reason for this

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
ESPN released its college football announcer teams for the year.

Tommy Tubberville :getin:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I really like the Dave Pasch and Greg McElroy pairing

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

FuzzySkinner posted:

LeBron James would perhaps be another case, If he protested in Cleveland? I could see some rumblings from the fans here, but they would shrug it off for the most part because our team, hell our city is completely relevant without him having "CLEVELAND" on the front of his uniform.

lebron wore a 'I Can't Breathe' shirt during warmups before a game and no one really cared. http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/lebron-james-eric-garner_n_6291598

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Looks like the English League Championship (2nd division in England) and the English League Cup will be streamed on ESPN3, taking the rights away from Bein Sport.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2017/08/02/bein-sports-espnbamtech-championship-tv-rights-says-source/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

psyer posted:

Looks like the English League Championship (2nd division in England) and the English League Cup will be streamed on ESPN3, taking the rights away from Bein Sport.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2017/08/02/bein-sports-espnbamtech-championship-tv-rights-says-source/

An interesting get, the Championship is normally a very entertaining league full of a couple of struggling former premier league squads and then like 18 other teams trying to get promotion.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

psyer posted:

Wow, two days before the first match of the season. How did beIN Sports manage to lose the rights?

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Wow, two days before the first match of the season. How did beIN Sports manage to lose the rights?

I believe the rights was up at the end of the last season and the EFL just haven't been able to get anyone to take the rights for what they want. I guess Bein Sport assumed they were going to keep it as there were probably very little competition and they listed some matches on their schedule while the deal was not done and BAMTech probably offered more money to EFL to take it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/bein-sports-extends-us-rights-deal-for-efl-championship

Well, SOMEONE is Fake News here.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

But that being said? I think it's mainly because he's a "meh" qb and people aren't really looking to stir up controversy for a guy of his skill set. If Tom Brady, or prime Peyton Manning were saying that sort of stuff, I don't think their teams would blackball them out out of the league.

People keep saying this and I'm really not sure it's true. I am very hard pressed to think that any team is going to be the first to throw the weight of the NFL PR machine behind "player who thinks cops are murderers" regardless of how good he is. If one of those guys were as in to activism as Kap, he'd be getting the same work ethic bullshit "football is as that matters how dare you have a life" questions and likely still isn't on a team until the desperation level of that team reaches an absolute fever pitch. The real question with Kap is where exactly is that desperation level w/r/t him? If the Seahawks are 8-2 and Wilson completely blows his shoulder out, is that enough for him to get the call?

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Looks like WatchESPN has added the opening match to their schedule.

http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/?categoryId=5&startDate=20170804&type=upcoming