Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

Her greatest role was in Bio Dome and the Oscar going to Braveheart instead of that was a travesty.

If we had more Scottish-Americans in AMPAS Braveheart would have been voted down like crazy.

They loving hate that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Apparently Joey Lauren Adams is in some CMT show now and she keeps tweeting pics of mullets so that's cool.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Jedit posted:

That happens when the lightning strikes close enough, though.

I'll tell you what is weird - seeing lightning but not hearing thunder. It happened to me just the other week.

Yeah but if lightning is very close, it doesn't sound like rolling thunder, which is the sound effect that's always used.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

syscall girl posted:

If we had more Scottish-Americans in AMPAS Braveheart would have been voted down like crazy.

They loving hate that poo poo.

And hell, Braveheart wasn't even the best Angry Scotsman movie that came out that year.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Barudak posted:

You may also know it as: The Eiffel Tower, The Spit Roast, The High-Wire, The Big H, The Drapes and Carpet, The Boom Tube, The Middle Class, The Reverse Manwhich, The Devils Handshake, or the Cup and String

The Eiffel Tower

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Mister Mind posted:

Same for me when there's a distant explosion. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie or TV show when they remembered that the speed of light and the speed of sound are different.

The Coen Bros.' True Grit had a several-second sound delay when someone fired a gun on a distant hill (which viewers saw through a spyglass). I was impressed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Am I allowed to mention Firefly for having no sound effects whatsoever in the space scenes?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Am I allowed to mention Firefly for having no sound effects whatsoever in the space scenes?

I saw 2001 in the theater a couple years back at a film festival, and there's a scene in the vacuum of space where there's no sound. Half the audience started murmuring, because they thought something has gone wrong with the sound system.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Two Finger posted:

I've only seen 2[?] episodes of Firefly. One was the extremely western one on the old-west planet and the other was a space one where they encountered space zombies.

That being said having silent space battles is an awesome choice.

You can hear the screams but not the laser beams.

e: and I'm both a Joss Whedon hater as well as a huge fan of Angel and MCU Avengers (with rifftrax commentary) so I sit on the fence

e2: basically if you put the "microphone" in the star destroyer or whatever you can do space fiction audio, otherwise it's just *pew pew*

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Jul 27, 2017

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

Pregnant lady's water breaks whenever there's about to be an action scene. It never amounts to much and the baby is always fine, but it's the reliable way to build tension.

I hate pregnancy/birth stuff in movies/tv because the scenes almost always play out like 99% the same as every other pregnancy/birth related scene in anything else. As soon as a character mentions being pregnant you're just like OH BOY GET TO SEE THAT SCENE AGAIN SOON

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Patattack posted:

The Coen Bros.' True Grit had a several-second sound delay when someone fired a gun on a distant hill (which viewers saw through a spyglass). I was impressed.

The Coen Bothers are always impressive. Even their bad movies are better that most.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheKennedys posted:

I mean...kinda?

he still fat

At this point why not just wear pants?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Two Finger posted:

Really, you should be irrationally irritated at all the movies and shows that do have sound in space.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

WampaLord posted:

Really, you should be irrationally irritated at all the movies and shows that do have sound in space.

Turns out there is a reason for this! Psychologically, if theres no sound, humans will hone on whatever ambient sound they can. This can lead to them tuning out the movie entirely and stop watching.

Sometimes it can be used to great effect but you often dont want to risk losing your audience.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Turns out there is a reason for this! Psychologically, if theres no sound, humans will hone on whatever ambient sound they can. This can lead to them tuning out the movie entirely and stop watching.

Sometimes it can be used to great effect but you often dont want to risk losing your audience.

You could do like Firefly did and still have the score going, or sounds that make sense, like characters talking via radio.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Or the variety of movies where there is no sound except whatever comes into the suit that the shot is being filmed in, heavy breathing, muffled thumps.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Your Gay Uncle posted:

At this point why not just wear pants?

Normal clothes might make him look slimmer and like he knows hot to dress himself.
Which he doesn't and I'm pretty sure he's making an effort to wear baggy clothing to hide how fat he is but it just makes it worse.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Agent355 posted:

Or the variety of movies where there is no sound except whatever comes into the suit that the shot is being filmed in, heavy breathing, muffled thumps.

Which is in itself a pretty good way of inducing tension. Panicked breathing is always good

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
One day I'll watch a show that uses heart defib gear for the correct purpose, and do CPR like it's meant to be done. I guess they will need to have a fake torso for the CPR so as not to injure the actor, but it would impress me no end.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
House was pretty decent about defib only working on shockable rythyms, and someone said ER was really good about that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Scrubs was always extremely accurate when it came to medical science, oftentimes more accurate than the "serious" medical shows like Grey's Anatomy.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

WampaLord posted:

Scrubs was always extremely accurate when it came to medical science, oftentimes more accurate than the "serious" medical shows like Grey's Anatomy.

Grey's Anatomy wasn't a medical show, it was a soap opera with a hospital backdrop.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
As for shocking flatlines, twice I've seen doctors say "Eh, maybe that's a fine v-fib, shock anyway" towards the end of a code. Not like it's gonna make their day any worse, they're dead.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh, my mother was an ER nurse for years, and the defibrillator thing still always gets a sigh from her.

She also hates it (and by extension, now I hate it) when someone gets stabbed and immediately pulls the knife/object out. "Don't you do it-- oh. Of course. Good job, he's dead now for sure."

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Parasol Prophet posted:

Oh, my mother was an ER nurse for years, and the defibrillator thing still always gets a sigh from her.

She also hates it (and by extension, now I hate it) when someone gets stabbed and immediately pulls the knife/object out. "Don't you do it-- oh. Of course. Good job, he's dead now for sure."

Yeah, but most people don't know what medical staff do so...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Parasol Prophet posted:

I had a chat with a crusty old cop about knife crime once and he said something along the lines of "A knife fight is where the loser dies there and the winner dies on the way to hospital".

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

More people need to be aware of the dangers of Knife Culture

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WampaLord posted:

You could do like Firefly did and still have the score going, or sounds that make sense, like characters talking via radio.

Was thinking a movie that had the space scenes be where the soundtrack kicks in to make up for everything else, but that's basically 2001 A Space Odyssey.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

VanSandman posted:

Grey's Anatomy wasn't a medical show, it was a soap opera with a hospital backdrop.

I've got a guilty-pleasure sort of love for Grey's but goddamn, I'm not even in health care and it was almost embarrassing how blatantly wrong it was in a ton of places

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

syscall girl posted:

I've only seen 2[?] episodes of Firefly. One was the extremely western one on the old-west planet and the other was a space one where they encountered space zombies.
Honestly, if you're not sure, you might actually have seen the entire series, because that could almost be any two episodes chosen at random.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tangents posted:

this is the only Knife Culture I want to believe in

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TheKennedys posted:

I've got a guilty-pleasure sort of love for Grey's but goddamn, I'm not even in health care and it was almost embarrassing how blatantly wrong it was in a ton of places

House, MD is almost as bad, from all I hear.

Scrubs is pretty accurate because the medicine usually isn't at all the focus of the plots. And it's realistic in that most medicine is boring routine, and a lot of patients die from chance, error or inevitability.

And if you push around a corpse in a wheelchair, no one will ask you to do anything.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

And if you push around a corpse in a wheelchair, no one will ask you to do anything.

I work at Golden Corral and can confirm this

I do not work at Golden Corral

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tangents posted:

Knives are nothing. Swords are what you should fear.

https://youtu.be/Q_RpbaUU7NI

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When people are supposed to be having sex on screen but either one or none of them actually takes their pants off. They go from fully clothed to passionate thrusting in like 2 seconds.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When people are supposed to be having sex on screen but either one or none of them actually takes their pants off. They go from fully clothed to passionate thrusting in like 2 seconds.

oh god this drives me nuts. Especially when the girl gets up five seconds later still wearing bra and panties both, dude's fully naked. Who has sex with underwear on? If it's a nudity thing I thought that was why they did the "instantly wrap up in a sheet" thing.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
If you've never done the wild, barely get your dick out, pull the panties to the side and go for it kinda banging, I feel bad for you son :cmon:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

House, MD is almost as bad, from all I hear.

Scrubs is pretty accurate because the medicine usually isn't at all the focus of the plots. And it's realistic in that most medicine is boring routine, and a lot of patients die from chance, error or inevitability.

Scrubs shows doctors doing actual research in order find out what's wrong with a pasient. House relies on random light bulb moments, like if someone doesn't say the exact right thing that makes House think of something important the patient is hosed .

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Or three quarters through the episode the patient of their family reveals they recently visited some exotic country that has a certain type of illness associated with it. What a revelation!

I've not seen a ton of House but I remember being very pleased with myself when I knew the answer was leprosy (the less well-known version of the disease).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
You would have to be an idiot to take House seriously. He does things multiple times an episode that would probably lose a real doctor their license, if not send them to jail (i.e. the numerous breaking and entering instances). It was a formulaic show that made medicine interesting. Scrubs made medicine entertaining by making it mostly about sex and daddy issues, house did it by making house a magical savant who knows everything.