Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Wheany posted:

i'm still looking at the terraframe project and i think i found a new looping contruct, the try-while-true-catch-indexoutofboundsexception:
https://github.com/raxod502/TerraFrame/blob/master/src/TerraFrame.java#L5188

unironically used to be faster on the jvm (probs not since like v2 though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i'm the ghost-post off-by-one error

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

not exactly programming but sorta related. im trying to prove that something isnt vulnerable to timing attacks, and i want to use pretty graphs to show this.

input data is time for path a and time for path b. whats the best way to graph it?

so far i'm just graphing a against b, plus difference

like a scatterplot? so you already know that A is resistant to timing attacks and want to show that B is as well?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm writing a small data visualization web app in React. I've written front-end stuff in React before but I've never written any back end stuff for it. The only back-end I'm really versed in is Tomcat serving JSPs (lol rip), and more recently I've written a server to serve a few simple static pages with Express.

Any tutorials or tools that people know of or have used in the past to set this up? Everything I've found so far is either a year-old blogpost with "Edit: Out of Date!" at the top or it uses some arcane combination of Node packages with like 50 downloads over the last month in total.

use asp.net webapi

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

One thing this project has definitely taught me is that I do not want to do webdev long term. The user interface app, database, and logic to gather metrics from data was definitely fun to build. Making a web app to visualize it all blows rear end.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

ThePeavstenator posted:

One thing this project has definitely taught me is that I do not want to do webdev long term. The user interface app, database, and logic to gather metrics from data was definitely fun to build. Making a web app to visualize it all blows rear end.

everything is broken but the web is broken more

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ThePeavstenator posted:

javascript is the worst

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

e: wrong thread somehow

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Shaggar posted:

javascript is the worst

It's the land of roll your own everything and with all that "freedom" you can get nothing done.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Shaggar posted:

javascript is the worst

javascript loving sucks

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

but html is the worst

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/890714045258641408

:confuoot:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

sweet

how's the performance

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

don’t know yet I’m still hooking the terminal up to it

the CPU emulation is plenty fast though even with my weird system

on each memory read or write it looks up the address in a list of MemoryOverride objects that implement behavior when an address is read or written, to implement memory-mapped registers like the PIAs the Apple 1 uses for input and output. is that the right way to do it? :shrug: but it works

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

C.H.O.M.E posted:

do all git merges by hand in vi, OP

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

i tried to switch to vscode in earnest for about 5 mins

it suck tho

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it is an adequate unicycle for riding around the javascript circus

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

code:
    override func viewDidLoad() {        
        super.viewDidLoad()

let debuggerStoryboard = NSStoryboard(name: NSStoryboard.Name(rawValue: "Debugger"), bundle: nil)
        debuggerWindowController = debuggerStoryboard.instantiateInitialController() as! DebuggerWindowController
        debuggerWindowController.showWindow(self)

// Do view setup here.
        self.view.addSubview(computer.emulatorView)
        computer.emulatorView.display()

//self.frameTimer = Timer.scheduledTimer(timeInterval: 1/60, target: self, selector: #selector(runEmulation), userInfo: nil, repeats: true)
        runEmulation()
    }

@objc func runEmulation() {
        AppleI.sharedInstance.runFrame()
    }
If I call runEmulation from the timer, the display CALayer doesn't call draw on itself. If I just call runEmulation from viewDidLoad, it does. :confused:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 28, 2017

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
vscode is quite good

edit: luigi maybe obvious but did you verify that the timer callback is happening on the ui thread?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sapozhnik posted:

it is an adequate unicycle for riding around the javascript circus

ooh, that's a good line

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
vscode made my coworkers computer blue screen lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

works for me, though i use it only for latex

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Luigi Thirty posted:

code:
    override func viewDidLoad() {        
        super.viewDidLoad()

let debuggerStoryboard = NSStoryboard(name: NSStoryboard.Name(rawValue: "Debugger"), bundle: nil)
        debuggerWindowController = debuggerStoryboard.instantiateInitialController() as! DebuggerWindowController
        debuggerWindowController.showWindow(self)

// Do view setup here.
        self.view.addSubview(computer.emulatorView)
        computer.emulatorView.display()

//self.frameTimer = Timer.scheduledTimer(timeInterval: 1/60, target: self, selector: #selector(runEmulation), userInfo: nil, repeats: true)
        runEmulation()
    }

@objc func runEmulation() {
        AppleI.sharedInstance.runFrame()
    }
If I call runEmulation from the timer, the display CALayer doesn't call draw on itself. If I just call runEmulation from viewDidLoad, it does. :confused:

does runEmulation let the view know it should refresh?

see "Invalidating the View’s Content" in NSView docs

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

pokeyman posted:

I’ve found a couple git tags called "rm" in my time

I usually have a branch named 0d floating around.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Rounding bugs are awesome, also fruity: if you only display two digits do you indicate a change beneath that precision?

I'm using Polymer for this page with a separate element for the name and the value/change, one rounds to 2dp and the other doesn't :doh:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MrMoo posted:

Rounding bugs are awesome, also fruity: if you only display two digits do you indicate a change beneath that precision?

I'm using Polymer for this page with a separate element for the name and the value/change, one rounds to 2dp and the other doesn't :doh:

i take it you're the guy on the left of that photo

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

[quote="“MrMoo”" post="“474822462”"]

I’m using Polymer for this page with a separate element for the name and the value/change, one rounds to 2dp and the other doesn’t :doh:

[/quote]

ha I used to work for that hedge fund on those dudes coats

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

AWWNAW posted:

ha I used to work for that hedge fund on those dudes coats
what was it like working for 464

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

is there a good library for visualizing directed acyclic graphs in either java or javascript? i found dagre but saw the npm and version check bullshit and noped out. at this point i'm thinking of rendering and caching the graph server side in java.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

anthonypants posted:

what was it like working for 464

Very Sick Figgies

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Condiv posted:

is there a good library for visualizing directed acyclic graphs in either java or javascript? i found dagre but saw the npm and version check bullshit and noped out. at this point i’m thinking of rendering and caching the graph server side in java.

poo poo out a .dot and use graphviz?

edit: fuckin awful app smart quotes who maintains that pos

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
cjs: trying not to sound too passive-aggressive in this email to a .net developer that we can't uninstall .net 4.5.1 from server 2012r2, we can't install the .net 4 framework like he wants because 4.5.1 is installed, and, yes, we need to install .net 3.5 because some other old poo poo we need, like his garbage app, haven't been updated, but at least 3.5 can coexist with 4.x just fine. gently caress that guy for not letting me install 4.7

e: the server we're on now is using 4.6.1 but we've only been using it for a day and i know if i bring that up he'll say he's ~actually~ been having tons of mystery problems he didn't want to tell anyone about

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 29, 2017

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
ive been trying to do some poo poo with dependency based test ordering in xunit and it sucks and I'm a bad programmer and I eventually kludged something together using samples that were full of bugs but hey at least I fixed the obvious bugs

gently caress test frameworks and gently caress whoever designed our lovely product that requires like 10 hours of end to end tests that no one will touch because they don't know what any of them do

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

what the heck kind of .net code does he think will work on 4.0 but not 4.5?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Gul Banana posted:

this internal app that uses telerik plugins and parts of it will only work on 4 and not on 4.5 but the app is run on the client workstations. i'm not a developer but they've been putting off doing whatever it is they need to do to support 4.5 for years

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Gul Banana posted:

i am also interested in this. i thought telerik was a collection of plain old .net gui components? does it also gently caress with .net internals?

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

there are a few compatibility-breaking changes between the two, mostly if you're doing weird/dumb stuff but not requiring messing with .net internals.

Telerik is probably doing some of those dumb things, and updating telerik is always a gamble as to whether the new bugs are worse than the old.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cool av posted:

there are a few compatibility-breaking changes between the two, mostly if you're doing weird/dumb stuff but not requiring messing with .net internals.

Telerik is probably doing some of those dumb things, and updating telerik is always a gamble as to whether the new bugs are worse than the old.

Their controls are an astonishingly complex nightmare of nested controls and updating telerik versions can cause random problems if you're doing anything more complex than using their basic functionality.

I mean it's probably worth upgrading to see what happens to avoid all this hassle but also perhaps don't use telerik in the first place and avoid the issue entirely. The ability to change the theme of your internal admin utility is probably not the most important feature.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
.net more like .not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
hey guys i got this language that's basically java, maybe improved in a couple ways... but instead of running everywhere (you know, the main promise of java) it only runs on microsoft windows. interested?????????? :rolleyes:

• Locked thread