Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

And you can't limit the car's speeds forever, eventually that becomes the story that electric cars just can't go faster because you're the big poster child for the whole industry. Basically if you're gonna race around a British park gently caress Battersea and make it Donington Park where all racecars should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I think there's still something pretty cool about seeing a bunch of racecars flying around city streets. I wish there was a Denver ePrix, I'd definitely go to that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Di Grassi did make a point about the cars technically being able to run the Nordschleife, but then you'd only get 4 laps to a race.

WTCC has done 3-lap rounds of the Nordschleife the last couple years, so it's possible!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Schlesische posted:

Formula E budgets are going to skyrocket in 5 years; the only reason they were so cheap up to now is because everything but the actual powertrain was spec (and the powertrain was heavily regulated). If Merc is coming in, with BMW confirmed as being in and with Audi taking over Abt and making it a genuinely works team, the spec elements are going to die a painful death.

They're allowing development on the batteries and ending the car swapping for the next season.

So they stop the car swapping next year, but the battery tech probably has a way to go until they can do "normal" tracks and race distances. Watch some of the youtube highlights/full race uploads that they put up next year. The racing is surprisingly decent.

wasnt there talk a few years ago of making Super GT, DTM and some American series i cant remember, a shared platform?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Basticle posted:

wasnt there talk a few years ago of making Super GT, DTM and some American series i cant remember, a shared platform?

There was, but it never went anywhere.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

drgitlin posted:

well obviously

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wikipedia check says... it was supposed to be a class in IMSA's top series, but that never happened.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Wikipedia check says... it was supposed to be a class in IMSA's top series, but that never happened.

god that would have owned.

Wasn't bruton smith trying to rebuild the nurburgring in :911: to boot? Another cool project.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

god that would have owned.

Wasn't bruton smith trying to rebuild the nurburgring in :911: to boot? Another cool project.

No that's not really a cool project, it's definitely a tall order but it would be out of place as gently caress.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

I believe platforms have converged for DTM and Super GT, but obviously nothing came to pass for a US series. My guess is they wanted at least one American manufacturer to bite as the home team, and nobody did.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I remember there was a conversation during a Super GT race last year where the commentators were puzzled why Super GT would want to go to DTM regs for GT500 when GT500 was a fairly healthy class.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
:rip: Porsche

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/porsche-poised-for-lmp1-exit-announcement/

quote:

Porsche’s exit from LMP1 competition is expected to be made official within the next 24 hours, following widespread reports of the German manufacturer’s withdrawal from the FIA World Endurance Championship at the end of this season.

Multiple German publications, as well as Sportscar365’s industry sources, have indicated that a board meeting on Wednesday determined the fate of the LMP1 program, which was initially confirmed through 2018, but instead has been canceled one year early.

Porsche LMP1 team principal Andreas Seidl revealed at the recent WEC round at the Nürburgring that a decision on the future would be made by the end of this month, amid increasing speculation that the program, estimated to cost more than $200 million annually, was under scrutiny.

The decision would leave Toyota as the only remaining LMP1 manufacturer in the WEC, following Audi’s withdrawal at the end of last year, and cast serious questions over the future of the championship, particularly its World Championship status, which requires at least two registered manufacturers.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nice that they've decided not to let LMP1 limp on for another year and just put a bullet in its head now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I really hope we still have a World Championship for prototypes next year :smith:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Like I said earlier in the thread, I can't wait for the Team Joest Mazda DPi to win LeMans next year,

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Eyud posted:

I think there's still something pretty cool about seeing a bunch of racecars flying around city streets. I wish there was a Denver ePrix, I'd definitely go to that.

You'd love Indycar then.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

FTFY

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The time is now, for ByKolles

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The time is now, for ByKolles

Until they quit too and we can all make ByeKolles jokes.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

njsykora posted:

Nice that they've decided not to let LMP1 limp on for another year and just put a bullet in its head now.

If LMP1 dies completely does LMP2 get a change in regulations to boost performance?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

track day bro! posted:

Like I said earlier in the thread, I can't wait for the Team Joest Mazda DPi Team Penske Acura DPi with Montoya at the wheel to win LeMans next year,

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

So Porsche goes to Formula E and saves $190m a year. Wonder if they are considering any other racing programs with that extra coin (*coughcough* DPi or IndyCar)

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
If only Porsche had made this decision last year. Jackie Chan would be an overall LM24 winner!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

So Porsche goes to Formula E and saves $190m a year. Wonder if they are considering any other racing programs with that extra coin (*coughcough* DPi or IndyCar)

VAG already entertained the idea of entering Lambo into Indy but said no. Mind you, that was before this happened.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

They should enter a Bentley or Bugatti (lol) DPi

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Next year the LeMans 24 hours will be a round of the Blancpain Endurance Series :v:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
kill prototypes bring back homologated GT1

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

They should enter a Bentley or Bugatti (lol) DPi

you laugh but Bentley was a rumor when DPi was getting started.

VikingSkull posted:

kill prototypes bring back homologated GT1

can't wait for the BoP arguments regarding GT1 cars in a few years. but seeing as manufacturers are in a "cut spending" mood, this really seems like a solid plan...

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

oh god I loving wish.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

Next year the LeMans 24 hours will be a round of the Blancpain Endurance Series :v:

Having 2 24h races on the BES schedule would own. Speaking of which it's the Spa 24 this weekend.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

harperdc posted:

you laugh but Bentley was a rumor when DPi was getting started.

can't wait for the BoP arguments regarding GT1 cars in a few years. but seeing as manufacturers are in a "cut spending" mood, this really seems like a solid plan...

I was only laughing at Bugatti

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
It's really shocking how fast LMP1 fell apart. Just two years ago it was the arguably the pinnacle of motorsports development and seemed like it was thriving and ushering in a new age of high-performance hybrid sports cars.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

an oddly awful oud posted:

It's really shocking how fast LMP1 fell apart. Just two years ago it was the arguably the pinnacle of motorsports development and seemed like it was thriving and ushering in a new age of high-performance hybrid sports cars.

welcome to sportscars

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

If sports car racing doesn't cannibalize itself every couple of years it's not real.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wonder what would've happened without Dieselgate. Seems like Audi might've been off to F1 anyhow, but Dieselgate made it a pretty easy decision for Audi and now possibly Porsche to pull out of LMP1 and save a large amount of money for VAG.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Rally Finland is on. Perhaps the most iconic rally along with Monte Carlo, it an insanely fast gravel rally with jumps and berms everywhere.

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/livecenter/page/4175----.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW-bzleToS8

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah,

2015 we had 14 LMP1 entrants.

2016 it was 9

This year it was 6.

Next year right now we have 3 officially announced. And 2 of those are a manufacturer who will now be epically pissed off and the rolling comedy troupe that is ByKolles.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gret posted:

Wonder what would've happened without Dieselgate. Seems like Audi might've been off to F1 anyhow, but Dieselgate made it a pretty easy decision for Audi and now possibly Porsche to pull out of LMP1 and save a large amount of money for VAG.

Dieselgate made Audi's P1 diesel program troublesome from a marketing perspective, and from a financial one as well. They'd probably still be in P1.

Porsche would've stayed as well but in this case now they didn't want to be left holding the bag, and needed the pocket change to go towards Dieselgate payouts (now and in the future). VW would be in rallying still too no doubt.

Would Audi and Porsche still go to Formula E? Most likely. It's cheap. They could've done both. But VAG needs almost half a billion per year for other things.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
LMP1 had a good run to be honest. Still sad Peugeot dropped out with those insanely fast 908s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'll watch formula E when it isn't spec everything and they don't have to jump into a second car to finish the race. Or is it no longer a spec series yet?

• Locked thread