Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAIL posted:

but they're difficult to fight with unless you know what you're doing, which is why it's downright offensive that everyone always goes to them as the first example for "quick and dirty weapons for our otherwise useless troops."

If you are assuming they are going to form ranks and fight as a unit, using the pike to the best of its ability, then yeah, you're absolutely right.

On the other hand, handing someone on garrison duty a sharp chunk of metal at the end of a pole works perfectly well for intimidating the local civilians or whatever else. After a certain point it's the mere fact of being armed that's the issue. From what I've seen most of the 19th-20th century use of "pikes" in that sense are mostly what you would probably consider spear length to boot. The pikes made in Georgia during the ACW, for example, were 6 feet long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FishFood posted:

I just finished The Hangman's Daughter, a historical mystery/thriller I think the thread, and HEY GAIL in particular would find interesting. It's set in 1659 Bavaria, and there's a lot in it about the aftermath of "The Great War", as they call it, as well as the superstitions and honor culture of Early Modern Germany. Two of the protagonists are in an executioner's family, and a lot is made about their status as outsiders and untouchables. Witches are also involved. The author is actually descended from the family depicted in the book, and it incorporates some of his old family lore. 4 out of 5 executioner's swords.

e. grammar am good

There are a few sequels, I checked them out since they were free on Amazon Prime and made for good beach reading. Bog standard mystery novel structure but the setting livens things up.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

So I was playing Playerunknown's Battlegrounds with an acquaintance from my teamspeak server, he's rather obnoxious so I don't usually play with him and this argument is one of those reasons why.

I don't quite remember how the argument started but he was insisting that the SKS and AK-47 were basically the same gun.

He had multiple opportunities to quantify his argument, but instead basically he said things like "Just because the Chinese version of a gun is slightly different doesn't mean it is an entirely different gun."

As though the AK was just a full auto variant of the SKS.

I don't get how people can be so passionate about something and yet know not only nothing about it but also entirely refuse to learn anything new and just patently assume you're wrong even when you bring up sources or supporting evidence.

The two guns don't even look the same. There are Canadians who spend hundreds of dollars to dress up their SKS to look like an AK, and it's still incredibly obvious that it's an SKS.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAIL posted:

he didn't steal it, the master of the torturers' guild gave Terminus Est to him when he was cast out to wander the dystopian future South America

The landsknecht anagnost HEY GAIL stood on the bartizan, almost pavonine in pose, protected by a tight-fitting fuligin curirass, waxing in tyrian prose the lore of the carnifex at the quesitor mydad down in the par-tere. Alas, for jokes, that is the place of parting.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Raenir Salazar posted:

So I was playing Playerunknown's Battlegrounds with an acquaintance from my teamspeak server, he's rather obnoxious so I don't usually play with him and this argument is one of those reasons why.

I don't quite remember how the argument started but he was insisting that the SKS and AK-47 were basically the same gun.

He had multiple opportunities to quantify his argument, but instead basically he said things like "Just because the Chinese version of a gun is slightly different doesn't mean it is an entirely different gun."

As though the AK was just a full auto variant of the SKS.

I don't get how people can be so passionate about something and yet know not only nothing about it but also entirely refuse to learn anything new and just patently assume you're wrong even when you bring up sources or supporting evidence.

Wrong as it is, I can easily see how someone might come to that conclusion. From what I've seen, the best-known versions of the SKS are the commercial variants that accept AK mags (commonly designated SKS-D and SKS-M), resulting in a gun where the only signifigant difference in appearance (to the layman) is the lack of a pistol grip. Given that pistol grips are a feature that gun-control advocates often ardently attack, I can easily see how the SKS/AK relationship could look like the AR-15/M-16 one.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

The two guns don't even look the same. There are Canadians who spend hundreds of dollars to dress up their SKS to look like an AK, and it's still incredibly obvious that it's an SKS.

To someone who knows about guns? Yeah. To your average dude who knows gently caress all (which includes know it all "experts" in most cases)? Not really.

I mean, to you a Sherman and a T-34 couldn't look more different, but the vast majority of people couldn't tell them apart at a glance and unfortunately a significant percentage of those people are going to develop opinions on tanks based on the internet and movies and want to share their findings with you.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is the reason why "if your only gun experience is Counterstrike you should probably lurk a whole lot first" used to be a rule in TFR.

For what it's worth you see exactly the same bullshit in any subject that people get a passing interest in because of some media, be it books or movies or games or comics or whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if someone isn't posting this same thing in AI right now, shaking his head about how someone insisted a mid 60s mustang could out corner a honda civic and using the Fast and Furious franchise as his source base.

The baffling thing is this is someone who absolutely should know better or at least be interested in learning something he didn't before because this person was, to the best of my knowledge, a walking living NRA membership card from South Carolina; he hunts, owns several guns, goes to the range, etc.

Instead he just kinda assumed I didn't know what I was talking about (not that I claimed to be an expert, but I had google to backup my recollection from this thread/tfr) while spouting easily disprovable assertions, like 'They had the same designer".

At some point I mention how this isn't even as close as how some people think the AK47 evolved from the Stg 44 and then he links me some article that the only thing the Germans had to contribute was the stamped manufacturing process and acted like the article proved his point.

e:

Gnoman posted:

Wrong as it is, I can easily see how someone might come to that conclusion. From what I've seen, the best-known versions of the SKS are the commercial variants that accept AK mags (commonly designated SKS-D and SKS-M), resulting in a gun where the only signifigant difference in appearance (to the layman) is the lack of a pistol grip. Given that pistol grips are a feature that gun-control advocates often ardently attack, I can easily see how the SKS/AK relationship could look like the AR-15/M-16 one.

Now this might explain his confusion.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gnoman posted:

This is doubly true when you factor in that a lot of people only have exposure to them from video games, and in the past 5 years or so the emphasis has been on modern shooters with the "tactical" dressed up versions of those guns. They're not looking at a wood stocked SKS and a Khruschev era AK-47, they're seeing poo poo like this:

(and god I feel a little dirty for having "tactical SKS" in my GIS history now)

One is an SKS, one is an AK. Is it easy for me to tell them apart? Yeah, but then I'm a gun nut. Joe Random who plays video games but thinks that makes him a subject matter expert on the history of firearms probably thinks they work exactly the same.

Now if you REALLY want to deep dive on the stupid, try being into German guns and having to hear from everyone about how the AK47 is a direct copy of the STG44.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Who cares, they's all commie plastic anyway :clint:

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Who cares, they's all commie plastic anyway :clint:

The Mattel corporation would like a word.

:v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hunterhr posted:

The Mattel corporation would like a word.

:v:

Nope.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

:thejoke:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

my dad posted:

The landsknecht anagnost HEY GAIL stood on the bartizan, almost pavonine in pose, protected by a tight-fitting fuligin curirass, waxing in tyrian prose the lore of the carnifex at the quesitor mydad down in the par-tere. Alas, for jokes, that is the place of parting.

You guys, this is a pretty strange crossing of the streams for me

Wallenstien talks with a satan with two heads, then breaks his neck and hucks satan's body off of a cliff

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 28, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wait, there are people who really think they were made by Mattel, and it's not just using the name of a famous plastic toy manufacturer as a joke?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

StashAugustine posted:

Dumb observation- it's kind of a talking point that the average Union infantryman in the Civil War didn't care about slavery. Having listened to a ton of Civil War marching songs, a bunch refer to slavery (even if it comes across as less idealistic and more a convenient stick to beat the CSA with). How much were those widely disseminated among the troops and civilians at the time?

It's probably more accurate to say that the average Union infantryman started the war not caring about slavery, and were instead mostly motivated by unionism in general. However, as the war went on and the Union began to push deeper into the South, many troops began to see the horrors of slavery firsthand, and many became staunch abolitionists as a result.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

GotLag posted:

Wait, there are people who really think they were made by Mattel, and it's not just using the name of a famous plastic toy manufacturer as a joke?

I was joking, but it's not super weird to believe if say your parents lived in a world where everyone from IBM to Jukebox companies were making guns for the big WWII.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hunterhr posted:

I was joking, but it's not super weird to believe if say your parents lived in a world where everyone from IBM to Jukebox companies were making guns for the big WWII.

Smith-Corona was a subcontractor for M1903 rifle barrels during World War Two.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hunterhr posted:

Honestly, the idea of a massive manufacturer of plastic toys being contracted to make plastic parts for a rifle (in an era when gunmakers weren't using plastic) isn't that big a logical stretch.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is "fire-and-maneuver" still a concept that's practiced in contemporary infantry tactics, or has thinking (and technology) evolved since then?

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is "fire-and-maneuver" still a concept that's practiced in contemporary infantry tactics, or has thinking (and technology) evolved since then?

From Army FM 3.21-8 The Infantry Rifle Platoon and Squad, which dates from 2007. A quick skim at USMC manuals suggests they're pretty similar at this level

quote:

7-10. An attack is an offensive operation that destroys enemy forces, seizes, or secures terrain. An attack
differs from a movement to contact because the enemy disposition is at least partially known. Movement
supported by fires characterizes an attack.
The platoon will likely participate in a synchronized company
attack. However, the platoon may conduct a special purpose attack as part of or separate from a company
offensive or defensive operation. Special purpose attacks consist of ambush, spoiling attack, counterattack,
raid, feint, and demonstration. For a detailed discussion of attack and special purpose attacks, refer to
Section VI.

I'd hazard that modern technology means that fires is deadlier, both in terms of everyone having an automatic weapon and more soldiers having grenade launchers or light rocket launchers, and a better chance that artillery, mechanized armor, or airpower is available to add to the "fires" component of fire and maneuver. What counts as "good cover" and "effective range" changes with technology, but the basics of "shoot at them so they can't shoot you, then move up to hit them from a better angle" seem pretty fundamental to this level of weaponry.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gradenko_2000 posted:

Technology has likely raised the prominence of that tactic since suppressive fire is more portable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is doubly true when you factor in that a lot of people only have exposure to them from video games, and in the past 5 years or so the emphasis has been on modern shooters with the "tactical" dressed up versions of those guns. They're not looking at a wood stocked SKS and a Khruschev era AK-47, they're seeing poo poo like this:

(and god I feel a little dirty for having "tactical SKS" in my GIS history now)

One is an SKS, one is an AK. Is it easy for me to tell them apart? Yeah, but then I'm a gun nut. Joe Random who plays video games but thinks that makes him a subject matter expert on the history of firearms probably thinks they work exactly the same.

Now if you REALLY want to deep dive on the stupid, try being into German guns and having to hear from everyone about how the AK47 is a direct copy of the STG44.

I still can't for the life of me understand people who take nice wood furniture and tarnished steel and think "I need to coat this entire thing in the most 1980's looking plastic I can find, because that makes it look way cooler"

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Smith-Corona was a subcontractor for M1903 rifle barrels during World War Two.

Coors made ceramic fuel elements for Project Pluto

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is doubly true when you factor in that a lot of people only have exposure to them from video games, and in the past 5 years or so the emphasis has been on modern shooters with the "tactical" dressed up versions of those guns.

Why would you tacticalise an SKS or AKM? Aren't they obsolete from a functional perspective? (that is to say, everything they can do a modern gun can do better)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The Lone Badger posted:

Why would you tacticalise an SKS or AKM? Aren't they obsolete from a functional perspective? (that is to say, everything they can do a modern gun can do better)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That scope is going to be ruined :ohdear:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm pretty sure the AKM is still entirely relevant a gun. Besides, spacegun AKs are funny.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
assault pikes

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I've probably played too much 40K, but honestly, I woulda stuck a couple braziers or some other burning poo poo on my pike - burn while you churn!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I still can't for the life of me understand people who take nice wood furniture and tarnished steel and think "I need to coat this entire thing in the most 1980's looking plastic I can find, because that makes it look way cooler"

Well, you can't look like a badass Tactical Stealth Assault Elite Strike Operator if you carrying something made of wood, can you? What do you think this is, the 20th century? :colbert:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tias posted:

I've probably played too much 40K, but honestly, I woulda stuck a couple braziers or some other burning poo poo on my pike - burn while you churn!

Wasn't that an actual thing? I seem to remember reading something about pikes with explosives or incendiaries attached to the end to try and clear breaches during sieges.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ive always wished mad max thunderspears were a thing

though at this rate they could be

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Wasn't that an actual thing? I seem to remember reading something about pikes with explosives or incendiaries attached to the end to try and clear breaches during sieges.

The fire lance was a thing. Sort of a one-shot flamethrower mounted under your spear.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phobophilia posted:

ive always wished mad max thunderspears were a thing

though at this rate they could be

Strap grenade to end of stick -> Put contact fuze on top of grenade

Pull pin and throw.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 28, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

Dumb observation- it's kind of a talking point that the average Union infantryman in the Civil War didn't care about slavery. Having listened to a ton of Civil War marching songs, a bunch refer to slavery (even if it comes across as less idealistic and more a convenient stick to beat the CSA with). How much were those widely disseminated among the troops and civilians at the time?

Caveat: THIS IS COMPLICATED

First, it really isn't accurate to say "the average Union infantryman in the Civil War didn't care about slavery" as a blanket statement. It changed pretty dramatically as the war progressed. Early on the biggest political concern for most soldiers was keeping the union together. As the war went on, the political motivation shifted pretty significantly...the Emancipation Proclamation was a big driver of this of course; so was Union soldiers actually seeing plantations, interacting with black soldiers, messaging efforts of abolitionists, and so on. By the middle part of the war, there were a good deal of anti-slavery freedom crusaders in the ranks. However, as the casualties got super extreme towards the end and they started rounding up the lower quintile of society, a pretty nasty strain of anti-black racism crept back into the army, particularly in the shittier (read: filled with European immigrants and criminals) corps.

That being said, for most soldiers on both sides, the political drivers of the war really weren't all that important to them. This wasn't unique to the ACW of course, despite the fact it was an intensely political war.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes, very much so. Pretty much everything is done that way, regardless of terrain/threat/etc.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bewbies posted:

That being said, for most soldiers on both sides, the political drivers of the war really weren't all that important to them. This wasn't unique to the ACW of course, despite the fact it was an intensely political war.
you see the same thing in the 30yw, when the people calling the shots are deeply invested in the religious and political issues that brought them to that point, but at least in the saxon army the soldiers almost never mention religion. i think it was a gentlemens' agreement because of saxony's unique political position, and wonder what happened in armies working for less...internally conflicted...polities like bavaria

edit: before you mention that 19th century people are more literate than 17th century, i am aware of that, but you do start to see the beginnings of a "press" at this time. some diarists are pretty well-informed about the things going on in the war.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 28, 2017

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAIL posted:

you see the same thing in the 30yw, when the people calling the shots are deeply invested in the religious and political issues that brought them to that point, but at least in the saxon army the soldiers almost never mention religion. i think it was a gentlemens' agreement because of saxony's unique political position, and wonder what happened in armies working for less...internally conflicted...polities like bavaria

For a counterpoint, look at the New Model Army. Like, they literally form the 17th century equivalent of Soldiers' and Peasants' Soviets and elect Agitators to represent them politically. You've got the army rank and file demanding one-man-one-vote representative democracy and all sorts, something that didn't end up actually occurring in the UK until about a quarter of a millennium later -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putney_Debates

17th century ordinary soldiers could definitely be political AF in the right milieu.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

17th century ordinary soldiers could definitely be political AF in the right milieu.
definitely, but saxony changed sides twice and bringing that up in the wrong circles would probably get super awkward

edit: although i have seen a saxon flag with a caltrop on it and the motto QVOCVMQVE FEROR which means "wherever i am carried" (caltrops land one point up no matter how you throw them) so at least one dude had a sense of humor about the whole thing

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

The AKM issue has already been mentioned, but it should be noted that it takes a LOT to make a centerfire gun obsolete. If you take the SKS as an example the only thing really holding it back is the lack of a detachable magazine. The chinese have variants that take AK mags, which makes those guns as fully capable as just about any other major semi-automatic rifle. Full auto is nice, but it's not the deal breaker that a lot of people consider it to be.

That's not to say that there aren't other issues with the SKS. The ergonomics aren't fully modern (although pistol grips, while great, aren't super necessary) and attaching any kind of optic to them is a royal bitch and a half. Many of them mount directly to the dust cover which makes holding a zero impossible, and many others require the optic to be removed in order to take the dust cover off, so zero is hosed when you clean it.

As to the why? Because they were once really cheap surplus rifles and a great way for someone who is either cheap or doesn't have a ton of money to put together a modern-ish rifle. In the world of 2017, where a Yugo SKS costs $400 and a decent AR-15 can be had for $500, yeah, it's kind of pointless. In the bygone days of 2007, however, when that same SKS could be had for $80 and a decent AR was $800 the math changes very, very quickly.