Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

skylined! posted:

didn't mcconnell say in his little bitchy speach last night that it was time to move on
Yeah. And Trump tweeted to that effect too.

I wonder if Ryan could mess that all up though and try to pass another house bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Can someone give me the exact time on the video when Ted Kennedy's spirit floated back out of McCain to return to Valhalla?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

TACD posted:

Yea, as a UK-er who's been mostly avoiding US politics of late: How dead is ACA repeal now? I remember the first attempt failing to pass the house a while back, then this version came along and nearly got there... will we see yet another attempt in a few months' time?

As long as we have more republicans in the house and senate than we do democrats, they'll be attempting this. We wrote it off as dead last time and it keeps coming back. If it takes them 4 years to write a bill that kills the poor and unfortunate, then every pen stroke, every key pressed, every syllable vocalized was worth it to them. Republicans hate the poor and people of color.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Kylra posted:

Considering the stakes of something like this, I don't know if looking away is necessarily an option for at least some of the people here.

Better to face anxiety and know what's coming than possibly be blindsided and dead if there's something you could otherwise do about it.

Posting increasingly wrong takes isn't doing something about it, it's wallowing.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Kylra posted:

Yeah. And Trump tweeted to that effect too.

I wonder if Ryan could mess that all up though and try to pass another house bill.

all dogs deserve vetcare imo

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

FizFashizzle posted:

lol i just realized heller voted yes for no reason

This is the weird part. I assume it is to facilitate primary challenges... but how do you primary any of these people? McCain and Collins are clearly not planning on running for reelection, and the Senator from Alaska has such a large personal vote she can win even if no self identified republicans vote for her.

I don't even know how you threaten this people? None of them need the GOP to do anything for them. Zinke's threats are even going to blow up in his face.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 28, 2017

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ripoff posted:

As long as we have more republicans in the house and senate than we do democrats, they'll be attempting this. We wrote it off as dead last time and it keeps coming back. If it takes them 4 years to write a bill that kills the poor and unfortunate, then every pen stroke, every key pressed, every syllable vocalized was worth it to them. Republicans hate the poor and people of color.

They don't have 4 years. They don't have a year. If they don't get their poo poo together, they might have even less power to pass it in 2018 than they do now, and it's not just a question of gaining or losing seats. Motherfuckers that were for this have to worry about being primaried too, because this is MASSIVELY loving unpopular. So you'll still keep an R seat, but it's an R that ran on "I won't take your healthcare away unlike this rear end in a top hat".

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

Posting increasingly wrong takes isn't doing something about it, it's wallowing.

ya covok's post history is peppered with 'they're gonna pass this 100% and we're all gonna die!!!' chicken-littling sadbrain idiocy

everyone has a right and probably needs to be afraid of this congress and administration, but covok's level of impotent whining is useless, unproductive and dangerous

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

FizFashizzle posted:

lol i just realized heller voted yes for no reason

He didn't want Steve Wynn to claw his eyes out.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dick Trauma posted:

Can someone give me the exact time on the video when Ted Kennedy's spirit floated back out of McCain to return to Valhalla?

Don't you mean Niflheim? There's no way Ted Kennedy would end up in Valhalla.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

DreamShipWrecked posted:

My understanding is that the bill is not completely dead, but instead sent back to committee for a reworking. Given how brutally unpopular it is, they basically sent it into amendment hell and no one will want to even touch it now. It's effectively dead in this form.

Bills rarely actually die via a straight vote on the floor. They nearly always get sent back to committee where they sit until the end of the session (when they formally die). I believe that the only thing special about the reconciliation bill is that it dies at the end of the fiscal year instead of the end of the congressional session.

"We'll send it back to committee for work" is still the legislative equivalent of "oh Fido went to live on a farm in the country where he can chase rabbits".

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

I meant in the more general sense of telling people that this is causing anxiety for to stop reading as a blanket. There's real and concrete danger and cause for concern.

I'm pretty ambivalent in regards to Covok personally.

skylined! posted:

all dogs deserve vetcare imo
Same.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Woke up to this and knew good things had happened:
https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/890885045669564417
thanks Mav! :swoon:

Actually went back to page 1816 to feel the magic in real time, it's pretty magnificent and I highly recommend to anyone else that fell asleep before the fireworks.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

skylined! posted:

didn't mcconnell say in his little bitchy speach last night that it was time to move on

And they are, to NDAA, but he intends to come back. My guess: work with Democrats to pass a bill mostly on their votes, to get it to Conference and try to make it skinny repeal Mk 2 once there

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

This is the weird part. I assume it is to facilitate primary challenges... but how do you primary any of these people? McCain and Collins are clearly not planning on running for reelection, and the Senator from Alaska has such a large personal vote she can win even if no self identified republicans vote for her.

I don't even know how you threaten this people? None of them need the GOP to do anything for them. Zinke's threats are even going to blow up in his face.

I think it's less about primary challengers and more about his big donor drying up ifnhenvoted no.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
To my fellow readers joining us from home at this early hour, some others perhaps also after a long, grueling, disheartening night shift helping people with uncontrolled medical problems and limited access to healthcare, this is the first point in the thread where it was confirmed that McCain rose to the occasion:

And I think this was the first post where people started to realize that hope perhaps was not dead:

Beautiful. I don't know who said it, but one comment in here was [paraphrased], "I hope the call McCain took was from Trump, and he said, 'gently caress you, Mr. President.'" I like to think so too. Because, you know: gently caress you, Mr. President.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think it's less about primary challengers and more about his big donor drying up ifnhenvoted no.

Why would that specifically affect McCain and not the other 47 Republican senators?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wow, man, you guys. What a ride.

Woke up to 1600 posts. I was completely sure it was going to turn out to be because it passed and everyone was casting themselves into the pit of despair. But I didn't look at the news and I read through the whole thread anyway.

Like I said. Whew. What a ride. :patriot:

He attac

He protec

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Bill Mitchell looks like the guy all Disney villains were based on.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I don't envy the person whose job it will be to babysit Trump this weekend.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/890894713448017921

This is why there's been no tweetstorm yet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Looking back, it's kind of funny that we were all keyed up and fighting to keep the lovely insurance that we hate just because the bill was so much more cruel

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Looking back, it's kind of funny that we were all keyed up and fighting to keep the lovely insurance that we hate just because the bill was so much more cruel

This is my broken stick and I will fuckin end you if you take it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gort posted:

Why would that specifically affect McCain and not the other 47 Republican senators?

Talking about Heller, who is near Sheldon Adelson's turf and supposedly got a call from him

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://twitter.com/SenJohnMcCain/status/890823047522824192

The Nick Searcy replies are glorious. He was great on Justified but FUUUUUUCK is he a die hard Kool-Aid drinker.

Pro-tip, he responds to just about any Twitter troll

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Covok posted:

This is too perfect! He's about to loving cry! How could Victory tastes so sweet!? He's on the verge of tears! God this is great even if something bad happens afterwards this is a serious victory that we all needed.

I'd like to quote this so everyone remembers the actual MO of "nothing matters" people.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 28, 2017

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Celebrating that millions get to keep their health care despite the best attempts of people who at least nominally control the government and are crying they failed to take it away seems like a pretty good MO to me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hahaha fuckinn John McCain saving us all after all

What a world to wake up to

Good timeline again?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hahaha I wake up to the best news ever. loving :laffo:.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Not really. Acknowledging something has done a lot of good and deserves to be protected despite its flaws, especially against worse options, isn't funny so much as it's being an adult.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Repeal isn't dead, but moving forward is going to be difficult. The repeal was undertaken at the exclusion of almost other business, including a raise of the debt ceiling. McCain still needs to undergo cancer treatment and it is unclear if/when he will be back. Leadership has lost a lot of credibility to move forward.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shifty Pony posted:

Woke up this morning... pulled up WashingtonPost.com and...

Now can we get Covak probed? A month per GOP no vote seems fair IMO.

I literally went to bed early last night so I could sleep telling myself that there was still a chance the vote would fail

*Pinches self*

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Kylra posted:

Celebrating that millions get to keep their health care despite the best attempts of people who at least nominally control the government and are crying they failed to take it away seems like a pretty good MO to me.

"Celebrating". Sure. Whatever way they don't have to admit they were wrong, dumb, and misinformed while bandwagoning onto the "winning" opinion, I guess.

"I was on your side all along!" Sorry, nope. gently caress off.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
For me it just shows how bad McConnell hosed up to lose McCain's vote. Someone who always votes with the party line while warning that he might flip did just that to our surprise. It's not like he didn't warn them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can't wait to see trump's tweets about the matter.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pollyanna posted:

He sent out a tweet just after things the vote failed.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

fox and friends isn't covering it so he probably hasn't gotten ginned up yet about it

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So just a reconciliation question, if they have another go at it would it still be considered to be under the same reconciliation bill, or is it dead now so they would have to use next years?

From my limited understanding or it's the former, as it only counts if it passes?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Mike Pence also failed last night. This should signal how lame his presidency will be once Trump is out of office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Xombie posted:

"Celebrating". Sure. Whatever way they don't have to admit they were wrong, dumb, and misinformed while bandwagoning onto the "winning" opinion, I guess.

"I was on your side all along!" Sorry, nope. gently caress off.
I'm pretty sure the nothing matters we're doomed brigade all wanted it to actually fail, just like most (all?) everyone else in the thread. So yeah? :confused:

• Locked thread