Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Wait what :stare:

*looks up Bob Hoover via wikipedia*

God drat. I'd give up a year of my life to have a drink with this man and hear his story.

He later commented that it was all "jolly good fun". Or so I imagine.

I liked the film. It wasn't the greatest thing ever, but it was good in almost every respect. I don't really ascribe to the idea that this either puffs up war or

I want to believe after engaging the last stukka that Hardy had enough altitude and beach space to do SOMETHING, like 180, or belly-flop in the ocean nearer to the british side, or maybe pull up into a stall and jump out as the airspeed zeroed above 1000 feet. He just seemed pretty resigned to going straight however far he could.

I didn't notice the ticking of the score until it went away at the end, which was a very sharp break in tension.

My theater must have had good sound mixing, because everything sounded incredible to me (except for, obviously, mumbly british dialogue). The stukkas were terrifyingly loud, the gunshots had weight, the spitfire cannons sounded awesome, it'll win sound mixing/editing oscars for sure.

The Week/Day/Hour thing really straddled the fence between working and not working. It's really cool when it's clear what the order is and you can see some events replay from different perspectives, but some of the timeframes (like getting the Dutch ship from the beach out to miles offshore) seemed so odd or disjointed it took me out of the action a little.

I didn't necessarily care for any one person in the story, excepting maybe Branaugh, Hardy, and Rylance, but rather just kinda hoped for everyone to make it. Too many movies walk you through the steps of heroes, this one made you spend a lot of time identifying with random soldiers who had relatively little say over how they lived or died.

Bottom Liner posted:

Saw it in 70mm. Incredible movie all around. Breakneck tension, gorgeous cinematography, and an ensemble cast that all perform with a realistic desperation. It reminded me of Mad Max: Fury Road in pacing. Really tight editing and script. An understated masterpiece that will probably go down as Nolan's best, and I'm completely ok with that. I'm a huge Nolan buff, but I'd say this movie works so well because it's the least "Nolan-esque" in storytelling, but maintains his masterful touch in actually filming a movie.
Very agreed, especially about the pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

As I understand it, ejecting out of a fighter of that era was not an easy thing to do. So if you had enough control of the plane to land it, that was the much better choice regardless of where you actually ended up landing.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
The most affecting part of the movie, for me, was the horrific deaths that occurred just off-screen we only know about through sound design. Specifically, I got really hosed up and panicky when the first ship got torpedoed against the docks after Main Soldier and Harry Styles snuck to the rafters. You could just barely hear people yelling and screaming, a crunch, and a sudden absence of sound. Same thing happened when the destroyer capsized and trapped some soldiers trying to escape, you hear them suddenly realize what they're up against, then... nothing.

It did a great job showing the randomness of war brutality. A split second, a single action, one foot of space marks the difference between one man dying over another. I had some qualms with what the timeline wackiness does to the overall emotional arc - it leans on the soundtrack really hard to drive tension and emotion - but it was a great way to show how horrific things were.

Still pissed that Shivering Solider got off scott-free. I get it, but man, gently caress that dude.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Oscar possibilities:

Director
Cinematography
Sound design/sound editing <- probably a lock
Editing

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Cool bit explaining the ever increasing tick-tock soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVWTQcZbLgY

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
In the expanded 10-film Oscar race it's a shoo-in for Best Picture. Screenplay, too, since it'll probably be the one Warner Bros. puts a big advertising push behind, and Best Picture nominees always get a poo poo-ton of nominations. Hans Zimmer could get a nod for Score due to name recognition and they're not against giving big war films nominations for Production Design (War Horse, Saving Private Ryan, Atonement have received nominations in the past).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CRINDY posted:

The most affecting part of the movie, for me, was the horrific deaths that occurred just off-screen we only know about through sound design. Specifically, I got really hosed up and panicky when the first ship got torpedoed against the docks after Main Soldier and Harry Styles snuck to the rafters. You could just barely hear people yelling and screaming, a crunch, and a sudden absence of sound. Same thing happened when the destroyer capsized and trapped some soldiers trying to escape, you hear them suddenly realize what they're up against, then... nothing.

It did a great job showing the randomness of war brutality. A split second, a single action, one foot of space marks the difference between one man dying over another. I had some qualms with what the timeline wackiness does to the overall emotional arc - it leans on the soundtrack really hard to drive tension and emotion - but it was a great way to show how horrific things were.

Still pissed that Shivering Solider got off scott-free. I get it, but man, gently caress that dude.

By shivering soldier do you mean the first guy the little boat picked up? That's Cillian Murphy, Nolans muse. He was in another scene too. Also, it's just the start of the war, he's not safe yet.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So I didn't see this mentioned in the last few pages, so maybe the timeline thing just confused me, but the pilot that lands in the sea almost drowns and gets rescued by the boat, but the first time you see him crash hes standing on top of his plane and waiving at Tom Hardy... or am I just mixing things up?

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So I didn't see this mentioned in the last few pages, so maybe the timeline thing just confused me, but the pilot that lands in the sea almost drowns and gets rescued by the boat, but the first time you see him crash hes standing on top of his plane and waiving at Tom Hardy... or am I just mixing things up?

I thought it was just his arm reaching up through the gap in the canopy, which looked like a wave.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, you mixed things up. He's inside the cockpit with his hand out the window "waving"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
"Oy, me chap is waving, all's well!"

Guy is frantically gesturing for help.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Krispy Kareem posted:

"Oy, me chap is waving, all's well!"

Guy is frantically gesturing for help.

Yeah but what would be have done anyway? Could have been simply waving goodbye, good luck

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I didn't think this movie was that good, but I went in expecting a war movie and got a survival movie, so maybe I need to watch it again with that mindset.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Dietrich posted:

I didn't think this movie was that good, but I went in expecting a war movie and got a survival movie, so maybe I need to watch it again with that mindset.

I'm in a similar situation. I saw this last night with a couple coworkers, but had a digestive incident during the movie, so was pretty miserable for the first half, and had to leave for a few minutes to take care of it. I enjoyed myself a lot more in the second half, but I'm not sure if it's just because I was feeling better.

Both the guys I saw it with hated it, and I will say it was definitely not what I was expecting. It also felt really repetitive. I also somehow didn't piece together the asynchronous timelines, so I think that affected the flow for me. That being said, though, I'm totally willing to give it another shot this weekend.

One positive thing I can definitely say, is that it had possibly the most terrifying use of Stukas I've seen in a movie. That was incredible.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Cillian needed a timeline. Sticking in that night shot without any further backstory was awkward. He's the lone survivor of a whole ship and he elicits almost no sympathy.

It feels like there's a 3 hour version of this movie that makes more sense.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Cillian needed a timeline. Sticking in that night shot without any further backstory was awkward. He's the lone survivor of a whole ship and he elicits almost no sympathy.

It feels like there's a 3 hour version of this movie that makes more sense.

I wouldn't say you needed more from him. The timeline had the Mole crew get torpedoed, try to get on Murphy's boat, him turning them down and telling them to calm down. Their response was "let's see how you are when you get torpedoed." The "next time" we see Murphy, he's siting on a ship that got torpedoed, and he freaked out more than they did. I don't really need any more from him, since his character was about the aftereffects.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Dietrich posted:

What's the difference?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'd say the most whining about this movie comes from idiots with a weak grasp of history. They wanted an oorah action films and instead got one about a horrible military blunder, the effects of war, and regular people doing their part.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd say the most whining about this movie comes from idiots with a weak grasp of history. They wanted an oorah action films and instead got one about a horrible military blunder, the effects of war, and regular people doing their part.

Bingo. This was like the opposite Hacksaw Ridge. That was just over the top, almost comedic violence in a movie that needed a mature look at war based on it's main character and the heart of his story. The horrors of war (even in battle) can be communicated without blood and gore, as this movie did masterfully.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel there needs to be a point to gore in war films beyond just being "realistic". Band of brothers uses it to emphasize the unpleasant business of keeping a dying man alive long enough to get him to a medic. The Pacific, which is much more violent than BOB, uses its extreme violence to emphasize the desensitizing effects of the moment and contrast them against the aftermath when ptsd sets in. Or how Fury uses its violence to say "gently caress your patriotic bullshit sanitized heroic war fantasies".

Whereas hacksaw ridge uses violence to make the pacifist medic look better and do right by God, while in the foreground a man uses a shredded limb as a trench club.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Didn't Hacksaw Ridge have one shot that was a literal blood fountain a la Kill Bill? I definitely remember the bullet through the eye that looked like Evil Dead.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Ammanas posted:

Yeah but what would be have done anyway? Could have been simply waving goodbye, good luck

I'm pretty sure it was just to indicate to Hardy that he landed alive. The water didn't start to fill the cockpit at that point.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Cacator posted:

I'm pretty sure it was just to indicate to Hardy that he landed alive. The water didn't start to fill the cockpit at that point.

Uh, to me it looked like he was trying to get the canopy open, desperately, and you realized in the earlier scene that Hardy misinterpreted it as a wave "okay".

Not that he could have done much about it besides fret.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Almost all the complaints I've seen about this movie have been about the weak character development. I would gladly have given up several scenes of whats-his-face swimming to and from various sinking ships and Tom Hardy shooting down lone fighters for more scenes like the one in the stranded Belgian freighter where they start to turn on each other.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Pander posted:

Uh, to me it looked like he was trying to get the canopy open, desperately, and you realized in the earlier scene that Hardy misinterpreted it as a wave "okay".

Not that he could have done much about it besides fret.

Maybe I'm misremembering that too. I was pretty stoned when I saw it.

Pro-tip: this is a GREAT movie to watch stoned!

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

There's a showing near me at a omnimax. I've never seen a movie in one of those. Would it be recommended? It'll be either that or a 70mm showing somewhere else.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

it shriveled up posted:

There's a showing near me at a omnimax. I've never seen a movie in one of those. Would it be recommended? It'll be either that or a 70mm showing somewhere else.
That's bizarre - I don't see how showing a normal movie would even work in Omnimax. Either most of the screen would be empty or it would be insanely distorted.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

it shriveled up posted:

Omnimax is awesome, it's better than 3d and doesnt need glasses.
Not sure how it'd work with a normal movie though, but check out some nature documentary in it!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Didn't Hacksaw Ridge have one shot that was a literal blood fountain a la Kill Bill? I definitely remember the bullet through the eye that looked like Evil Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8v0yOhL6SY&t=201s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8v0yOhL6SY&t=257s

I'm still waiting for RedSpider or SuperFan's reaction to the "highly sanitized" Dunkirk to see if they thought it was for sissies or something.

I just got back from and IMAX showing of it. The thing I'm most surprised by is how unlike every other Nolan movie it is. Every other film he's done seems to fit neatly into a oeuvre, but this really stands apart. The sound was absolutely punishing- a pure sensory assault from beginning to end.

As far as criticisms, I do wish they had added a few scenes in the middle of the movie to The Mole to clarify the fact that it's taking a week. To me it felt like two days separated by a night. Maybe some more of that haunting Hoytema photography on the beach or something. I think it would've also been helpful to somehow indicate that in the course of that week, there were lots of successful evacuations. In the moment, it felt like barely anyone was making it off the beach alive.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There’s a problem with scale. Like there were no where near enough Germans, but there’s 300k Allied troops and we’re looking at probably 3000 at any one time. So all those Stukas are probably hitting French positions, but it means you aren’t really appreciating the sheer size of it all.

And yeah, the week timeline didn’t feel like a week. Like, at least show him pooping more.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

Like there were no where near enough Germans, but there’s 300k Allied troops and we’re looking at probably 3000 at any one time.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The Germans were intentionally off-screen the whole time. Do you just mean they should've shown more strafing runs or something?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Agreed it could have used more panning airborne shots of the whole beachfront to give the illusion that there were really 300k in the town.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Oh, they were in the town? That makes sense when I think about it, but I was of the impression they were all stuck on the sand. The town looked deserted and the defensive line seemed to be right on the edge of the beachfront.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think the sparseness of the shots is a deliberate film-making decision. In the war zone there are a lot of wide-angle shots that are sparsely populated which I believe are meant to highlight the feelings of desperation and isolation among the men trying to escape. It doesn't matter how many men are on the beach, they are all surrounded and isolated and literally just waiting for death or capture by the Germans. However, from the time when they are rescued until they get back to England, the shots are much narrower and much more populated. The soldiers are no longer alone, but surrounded by civilians and other soldiers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The world is big. Atonement has that big tracking shot and you'd think the entire BEF was in view. They didn't have a lot of space on the beaches at Dunkirk but 400 000 men spread out in either direction can cover an area sparsely even if it is only a few kilometers. On top of that the film was focusing mostly on the far eastern side of the beach. The scale only falls apart when they break for the Dutch boat outside the perimeter and it's only a half mile walk away from the mole.

That and the fact there is no sign of any of the British equipment or guns that were left scuttled on the beach.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jewmanji posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The Germans were intentionally off-screen the whole time. Do you just mean they should've shown more strafing runs or something?

Planes mostly. I know Hitler told the army to hold back, but I we saw a handful of enemy planes and most of those were in the 1 hour timeline.

It was probably a deliberate choice since it created a surreal effect, but it made the scope of the event difficult to grasp.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I have to mark the movie down a lot, did they ever mention each others names? There was guy with black hair, 2nd guy with black hair, 3rd guy with black hair, pilot 1, pilot 2, Colonel (who got more character development than anyone else) and British Naval officer. I didn't work out till the end that the guy on the torpedoed ship was different from the 2 (near identical) guys on the Dutch boat (one of whom said 4 words total. In French! A simple difference in their battledress would have helped.

I also couldn't hear 1/4 of the words DUE TO THE MUSIC I CAN'T HEAR YOU SPEAK LOUDER WHAT DID HE SAY?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Just saw it two nights ago and holy poo poo I hated it. It was pretty, yeah, and I admired the ambition of the way the timelines all dovetailed but god drat what bunch of dull, character-less characters. I am more emotionally invested in my bathmat than in any one of those characters, none of whom I can name.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 28, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Them being faceless and nameless is the whole point but ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Ammanas posted:

I had a really hard time enjoying this, from the uncompelling characters (aside from Boat Dad, god Mark Rylance is a treasure)

he's the greatest living actor and in large part responsible for the best shakespeare performances ive ever seen

• Locked thread