Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
How about you both shut the gently caress up and go be boring and unfunny somewhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i feel it is not unreasonable to make fun of a guy whose stance is "i shouldn't try to improve my life because if literally everybody else in the world also improved their lives in the exact same way then my relative quality of life hasn't changed"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

E: ruthlessly trolled by awful app once again

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Former DILF posted:

remember when people were saying "go into law, get a law degree" and then suddenly they weren't worth poo poo because the market was oversaturated?

that's what these Mike Rowe dipshits are trying to do to welding, plumbing and electricians

This has also been true in IT for about 10 years now. There are no jobs here! Go back!

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Yesterday I saw this old lady with Down's in a wheelchair chewing on a plastic bag display at the end of the line. I and everyone else ignored it and she continued until I was finished buying poo poo, at which point her family member/helper... found her I guess, idk where he had been. The cashier didn't bother to take out the bag that had been toothed and or gummed at so it reminded me to look out for bitemarks on everything I touch in public.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
I posted a story earlier today about a customer keeping the store open to 1:30 am, I read the e-mail and have a few more details to add. The customer came in at 8 pm (the exact time the store closed), she was not turned away. At every hour she was told that the store was closed, she said ok and kept shopping. She was even told that one of the employees had a ride waiting for them, she didn't give a poo poo and the employee wasn't able to clock out. The customer wasn't rude at all during the whole time, she was leaving for a 3 week vacation in the morning and needed clothes. The only time she gave guff was when the cashier didn't want return/exchange the items she bought to use her $15 coupons ($100 worth). She threatened to return everything if they didn't.

The thing with payroll for the company is: for every $1000 the store made, an extra 3 hours is added to payroll. I don't think they made the day's plan. The story was posted on a forum for feedback and everyone is telling the author that they were pushovers, it was unsafe, and costed the company money. The associate's ride stayed the entire time waiting for her.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ladron posted:

insane radio shack customer stories please

Here is a wonderful collection: https://www.sbnation.com/2014/11/26/7281129/radioshack-eulogy-stories

Some highlights:

quote:

Another manager of mine staggered through life in a state of perpetual exhaustion. Our entire store had exactly three employees; my co-worker and I worked 40 or 50 hours per week, and he worked a minimum of 70 if he was lucky. We often had just one employee at the store at any given time, and sometimes, when there weren't any customers in the store, he'd take a nap in the back room. More than once, while he was back there, someone would walk in and shoplift hundreds of dollars' worth of stuff off the shelves and walk out in plain sight.

He just didn't give a poo poo. Sometimes, due to various obligations, he was working 80, 90 hours a week. He was pretty low on his hierarchy of needs: he didn't care about selling things, or making commission, or running a good store, or climbing any kind of career ladder. He was just trying to survive. He was trying to keep being an alive person for another hour. He made $23,000 a year.

quote:

I had well over a dozen different managers across my RadioShack career. One of them, who was also a friend of mine, dealt with it by getting loaded. I'd often give him rides to and from work, and on the way home, he'd ask me to swing by the gas station so he could pick up a 24-pack of Bud Light. Since I wasn't 21, this was a pretty sweet deal. I'd drink one or two beers with him in the parking lot, and then he'd go inside and kill the rest in a single night. I should have maybe said something, or done something, but I was 20 and there were things that didn't occur to me then.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
We had a 60 something year old guy start screaming at one of my coworkers the other day, because coworker didn't give him his veterans discount. After telling the 17yr old kid he didn't have to balls to serve for his country, he then proceeded to tell the kid to go out into the parking lot and fight him. :911: Best part of it was this guy is somewhat of a regular and is always super friendly towards me so it was just super out of the blue.

I'm happy that work is sending me to chainsaw/small engine repair school soon and I get to start dealing with a whole other variety of crazy people, but it'll be far fewer people.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
When I worked in an Arcade I found a used condom in our Jurassic Park Arcade game

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

*Store Manager is a 30 year retail vet, age 16-46, nothing beyond a GED, corporate slave*
*Makes 19 year old with less than one year experience as cashier a manager*
*Assistant Store Manager was only a cashier*
*Both berate 19 year old for being poo poo (they are poo poo at management) at their job*
*Sets stupid policies about when we lock 3/4ths of the doors because of SHOPLIFTING!*
*Resets entire store massively because corporate thinks that doing that in a retirement community is Bad rear end*
*Corporate demands we install online ordering (which has failed in every other retirement community in the nation) and have 80% of our sales be through self-check*

Basically almost everything stupid at my job is due to corporate and the managers being loving idiots. The customers are dumb old fuckers, but the loving Bosses are making it worse by being dumbshits. Also, how hard is it to know your department's crew and schedule them appropriately? Even given hour cutbacks? It's a loving computerized RTS build order system you dumbasses.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Earnestly, if any of you are merely working in retail without going to night school or getting training in something else. I beg you to start. If you live in an area where there is nothing but retail as an industry - move.

This is one of the shittiest poo poo advices. Moving costs a fuckload of money which is something retail employees don't have.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

OutOfPrint posted:

One of my first design cases was for "Hat Man." Hat Man considered himself an amazing taxidermist. His most impressive piece was a fur hat made of four species and ten different animals, counting all of the raccoon tails hanging off of it like a mullet. He was also selling a motorcycle helmet with a coyote skin literally nailed to it for $250.

He's a modern day Seth Kinman!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
You know you try to give advice. I take it back, you all deserve to be in retail. Don't worry about schooling, training or having to take a risk to try and improve your lot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Glenn Quebec posted:

You know you try to give advice. I take it back, you all deserve to be in retail. Don't worry about schooling, training or having to take a risk to try and improve your lot.

You have rich parents who gave everything to you and would be competing for retail like the rest of us otherwise. It's true 9 times out of 10.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

OutOfPrint posted:

Starman appeared one day, disheveled, reeking of crust punk, and was immediately shuffled into one of our meeting rooms. He was an old Russian man who paid for a design service that he never received and was finally ready to start building his site. Our supervisor brought one of my coworkers into the meeting room to take Starman's notes.

Starman was the head of, and first human member in, the Intergalactic Council. He needed a website so he could run for the Secretary General of the U.N. He studied cybernetics at Moscow University in the 70's, and, at the time of the meeting, lived in Brooklyn. He took the bus to get to the office. He had been missing for three days from his retirement home.

He eventually found his way home and started inundating us with content to add to his site. It started off with information about his run for SG, but got more unhinged. By the time I left, he was calling himself something like "Human Citizen 00000001."

is the site still up?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Inescapable Duck posted:

You have rich parents who gave everything to you and would be competing for retail like the rest of us otherwise. It's true 9 times out of 10.

Lol absolutely not my dad was in the military and sure as poo poo not a general.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's not written in stone that you have to work retail and 'compete' in the retail space. Ah, Yes, to take a risk, and better yourself the realm of the rich. But keep piling on and making excuses and wallow in the personal hell of no growth whatsoever.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

When I was in retail most of my coworkers already had worthless community college or tech school degrees, or a non-STEM bachelors. Not sure how it is in Canada, but poo poo's hosed in America. Everything in education has been over saturated and devalued here, a bachelors degree these days is rapidly becoming the new high school diploma equivalent.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lmao my screen name doesn't mean I'm from Canada. Since my personal experience seems to be on the hotseat: I took an non-linear path. I didn't goto college straight from high school. I went into sales (selling phone contracts for a telecom which sucked) then I moved to NYC and completed a bachelor's in English while work nights as security in lame dive bars and now I work in finance.

Wait I mean, let's just mire in our own pity party. God forbid someone suggests some changes to improve your lot lol.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 28, 2017

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Woops, I confused you with Canadian forklift driver guy. I'm sorry about that.

I did the same thing you did, went back to school while working and clawed my way out, but I got extremely lucky that someone was willing to take a chance on me and was frankly only able to do it because I was living with my parents and had no bills. Education isn't an immediate fix all, you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Yeah, there isn't a magic bullet that will fix everything in a person's life but doing nothing but harrumphing on what you don't got sure as poo poo won't help.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You know what'll help? Going further into completely undischargeable debt on something that has absolutely no guarantee to actually help you in any way, despite everyone in your family and education insisting it is the only way to improve your lot in life.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ya man that's definitely what I suggested.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah, there isn't a magic bullet that will fix everything in a person's life but doing nothing but harrumphing on what you don't got sure as poo poo won't help.
You know you can do both, right? You're not that stupid, are you? To think that people can't post about their lovely job on the internet and try to better themselves?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Oh yeah I was definitely suggesting that it's mutually exclusive.

Really after what I said, that's what you think? That I thought that people weren't trying to better themselves? I was imploring that if you aren't bettering yourself that you should start.

And I'm the idiot.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

waggles posted:

The thing with payroll for the company is: for every $1000 the store made, an extra 3 hours is added to payroll

What do you mean by this exactly? I'm having a hard time puzzling it out - every $1000 the company makes gets added to the paycheck of an employee? Or it costs 3 man-hours to deal with every $1000? Somehow I'm too dumb to puzzle this sentence out.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
Also guys remember if you're too poor to leave your retail job, you can always hand-write Bibles!!!

smdh typical lazy millenials

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Medieval monk approach, bootiest of bootstrapping.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

du -hast posted:

What do you mean by this exactly? I'm having a hard time puzzling it out - every $1000 the company makes gets added to the paycheck of an employee? Or it costs 3 man-hours to deal with every $1000? Somehow I'm too dumb to puzzle this sentence out.

I think they mean that for every $1000 the store makes, they get 3 man-hours added to their overall hour budget.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lmao my screen name doesn't mean I'm from Canada. Since my personal experience seems to be on the hotseat: I took an non-linear path. I didn't goto college straight from high school. I went into sales (selling phone contracts for a telecom which sucked) then I moved to NYC and completed a bachelor's in English while work nights as security in lame dive bars and now I work in finance.

Wait I mean, let's just mire in our own pity party. God forbid someone suggests some changes to improve your lot lol.

I'm glad life has worked out for you.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I think they mean that for every $1000 the store makes, they get 3 man-hours added to their overall hour budget.

Yep. Which reminds me of something idiotic Best Buy was doing when I got out- corporate hired some new VP that held up "Average Sales Per Square Foot" as the holy grail metric of retail, and store man hours and profitability were all switched over to it.

How did stores respond? By shrinking their sales floors by putting up fake walls.
Hey look, we're suddenly crushing our sales figures despite the store not actually being profitable! :downs:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Arven posted:

Yep. Which reminds me of something idiotic Best Buy was doing when I got out- corporate hired some new VP that held up "Average Sales Per Square Foot" as the holy grail metric of retail, and store man hours and profitability were all switched over to it.

How did stores respond? By shrinking their sales floors by putting up fake walls.
Hey look, we're suddenly crushing our sales figures despite the store not actually being profitable! :downs:

If a single metric ever starts being the determining factor of the success of a store, then that store will go out of its way to bolster that metric, but not ever in the way corporate thinks they will.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

is the site still up?

Honestly, I have no idea. I don't want to post links to any sites my team and I worked on to give myself some level of professional deniability. That said, I know Hat Man went with a different provider.

Also, Starman Super DX, that is an unfortunate coincidence. I did not mean to imply you ever bought such a lovely product as the sites we sold. I apologize fully and completely.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

du -hast posted:

Retail stores get a default budget of let's say 120 hours per week to spread among 6-10 employees. For every $1000 the store brings in (I Imagine beyond a certain budget) they get extra hours added to their weekly hour budget. Which is kind of crazy to think that $1000 of sales only delivers $23 of value to the employees. lol

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

OutOfPrint posted:

Honestly, I have no idea. I don't want to post links to any sites my team and I worked on to give myself some level of professional deniability. That said, I know Hat Man went with a different provider.

Also, Starman Super DX, that is an unfortunate coincidence. I did not mean to imply you ever bought such a lovely product as the sites we sold. I apologize fully and completely.

That's more like it! now I did have a brief stint as Saturn State Senator, but that's HARDLY intergalactic!

srsly tho nbd lol.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I never worked retail, but I did a considerable amount of tech support. One day, during my two weeks' notice, I got a completely uneventful call from some random person and helped him as I helped everyone else. A couple of hours later, my boss called me into his office.

My boss, who was generally a good guy but a spineless asswipe at work, asked me if I was having any issues, and I told him no. He asked me if I was sure, and I said "If there's something you want to tell/ask me, please just tell me, I'm not going to be upset." He told me something along the lines of "I know you put in your notice, but you still have to work like everyone else" and at this point, I was angry because he hadn't just come out with it AND confused because I had no idea what the gently caress he was talking about.

At any rate, this random rear end in a top hat who I talked to for probably less than two minutes accused me of being short/rude with him, making fun of his PMBR score when I thought I was on mute (note: to this day, I don't even know what a good/bad PMBR score is), and hanging up on him. I told my boss that the customer was lying for reasons I did not understand and that he could ask anyone within earshot how my call went & they'd tell him. My boss did not believe me. gently caress my boss, and gently caress that guy.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol absolutely not my dad was in the military and sure as poo poo not a general.

Welfare queen job with a pension??? Thats pretty privileged dude, even office workers dont get pensions anymore

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
It's a lot harder to go to college now than it was in 2005. The economy crashed and upper education support was all but discontinued. Getting a retail store to schedule your hours around school schedule was common then, but pretty unheard of now. Retail salaries used to be able to pay for part time state schooling but now that costs more annually than a retail workers full time salary

"Just get an education while you work," is the modern "just go into a business and shake the manager's hand to get a job."

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 28, 2017

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

at least they're not dense enough to use the tired old bootstraps phrase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Drunk Nerds posted:

It's a lot harder to go to college now than it was in 2005. The economy crashed and upper education support was all but discontinued. Getting a retail store to schedule your hours around school schedule was common then, but pretty unheard of now. Retail salaries used to be able to pay for part time state schooling but now that costs more annually than a retail workers full time salary

"Just get an education while you work," is the modern "just go into a business and shake the manager's hand to get a job."

Last summer the then-manager fired every college student working on the front end because he was sick of having people on the payroll that could only work a few months out of the year. They wouldn't hire a perfectly competent friend of mine because she had to go back to school a few months later, even though she likely would have worked on the weekend.

• Locked thread