Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BlueberryCanary posted:

In my head I imagine that once he runs out of jokes, Scarramucci will start performing the world's longest Who's On First sketch.

Trump would be completely enthralled

On Monday, the Mooch will be in the doghouse with Trump, because in trying to distract him with shaggy dog stories all weekend, he started the Big Orange Head one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
https://twitter.com/zachbraff/status/890803304631906307

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu_f3nLH5Ug&t=23s

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

No morning tweet storm? hehehe he must be too pissed to poo poo

They preemptively smashed his phone with a hammer.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Calaveron posted:

So are the tweets low energy today because somebody finally got through to him that it's best he remain silent or because Fox & Friends hasn't talked about last night at all

it's because he does not and has never cared about healthcare

now, if this had been the wall, hoo boy

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

After reading through the laws creating reconciliation (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/2/chapter-17A/subchapter-I), it is not clear to me that there is a definite, unarguable, hard deadline on when a reconciliation bill expires. The fiscal year begins on October 1st, which is where the September 30 deadline comes from, and I believe the assumption is once the fiscal year is over the budget resolution for that year (which allows reconciliation) expires.

However there is nothing in the law that specifically says that. You can't amend the budget resolution once the year is over (section 635) but nothing says the budget resolution is gone. Something in the Senate rules may apply, but I'm beginning to suspect that the reason nobody is really sure when this expires is that there's nothing that directly says when it does or doesn't expire.

I think everyone has always made the assumption it ends at the end of the fiscal year, but I suspect there has never been a reason to test the issue before because when has craziness like this ever occurred.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/890942965476192256

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

After reading through the laws creating reconciliation (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/2/chapter-17A/subchapter-I), it is not clear to me that there is a definite, unarguable, hard deadline on when a reconciliation bill expires. The fiscal year begins on October 1st, which is where the September 30 deadline comes from, and I believe the assumption is once the fiscal year is over the budget resolution for that year (which allows reconciliation) expires.

However there is nothing in the law that specifically says that. You can't amend the budget resolution once the year is over (section 635) but nothing says the budget resolution is gone. Something in the Senate rules may apply, but I'm beginning to suspect that the reason nobody is really sure when this expires is that there's nothing that directly says when it does or doesn't expire.

I think everyone has always made the assumption it ends at the end of the fiscal year, but I suspect there has never been a reason to test the issue before because when has craziness like this ever occurred.

If they pass a 2018 budget resolution (for tax reform), would that kill an unfinished 2017 resolution?

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

Ze Pollack posted:

it's because he does not and has never cared about healthcare

now, if this had been the wall, hoo boy

While I agree he doesn't give a poo poo about healthcare, he does give a poo poo about undoing everything Obama has done, so I am surprised he is being relatively tame this morning.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I want every D running in 2018 to have a shot in every single one of their ads of the vote scoreboard showing their opponent voting Yes last night
Especially whoever runs against Heller

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Heller was going to be in trouble even if he voted no while simultaneously fending off a primary challenge with Sandoval at his side on the reelection campaign. This is just about the worst possible outcome for him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

If they pass a 2018 budget resolution (for tax reform), would that kill an unfinished 2017 resolution?

I do not see anything in the law specifically saying that either. But I don't know where else to look - for example, senate rules might have something that does that.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Christie hasn't seen your beach chair memes. They 'hurt' his family, he says

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/07/christie_beachgate_blowback_shows_public_is_unfair.html

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

evilweasel posted:

This is so insane. It's like those people in any big organization who realize that it's the second close for the fiscal year, the one where accruals have to go in, and they're desperately trying to spend down the money they have left, but disagreements over what they can spend it on force them to miss the deadline, and then the manager yells at the admin for "losing his money." The Senate is like an avatar for office dysfunction.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

I do not see anything in the law specifically saying that either. But I don't know where else to look - for example, senate rules might have something that does that.

This is my concern as well. I don't know where you would find it, but my feeling would be that the reconciliation language should only be active during the FY the budget resolution is active for. Would it be a matter for the Parliamentarian?

Dog charity

https://twitter.com/MeetAnimals/status/890386511857844225

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

This might be one of those things that has never happened before. How the gently caress does the Senate majority fail for almost a full year to find 50+1 votes for the budget? I guess step 1 is to shoehorn a politically toxic bill into it that is a budget bill in name only but is really something else and then stubbornly beat that dead horse to the end.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

No morning tweet storm? hehehe he must be too pissed to poo poo

He's been tweeting but it's just boring stuff about ending the filibuster and going to a simple majority.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Lion Ted?

You mean the zodiac killer? The knee-bender? How can MAGA pedes be so desperate?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Bogatyr posted:

Christie hasn't seen your beach chair memes. They 'hurt' his family, he says

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/07/christie_beachgate_blowback_shows_public_is_unfair.html

Maybe you hurt your family by being a worthless, selfish gently caress, tubby.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Phlegmatist posted:

Only one reconciliation bill allowable per fiscal year. Passing it after Sept 30th would be one of those "well, it doesn't say in the rules a turtle can't be Majority Leader..." scenarios.

Unless you want to open the floodgates of bills like The Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1881, it'll be left well alone.

e: hmm, actually it appears that the 1985 bill passed outside of its fiscal year (April 1st 1986), so maybe the Sept 30th deadline isn't as hard as everyone thinks.

The "1985" bill was for the FY1986 budget resolution, per its text (http://www.legisworks.org/GPO/STATUTE-100-Pg82.pdf), and I have no idea why it was titled 1985. This bill was for the FY2017 budget resolution, which i checked by also looking at the text of the BRCA ("To provide for reconciliation pursuant to title II of the concurrent resolution on the budget for fiscal year 2017.") So that precedent appears to be fine: the bill was passed during the correct fiscal year, it was just mistitled for some odd reason.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's already been posted, but the Washington Post had a story about the Murkowski miscalculation.

quote:

Later that day, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke called Murkowski and the state’s other Republican senator, Dan Sullivan, to threaten that the Trump administration may change its position on several issues that affect the state to punish Murkowski, such as blocking energy exploration and plans to allow the construction of new roads. “The message was pretty clear,” Sullivan told the Alaska Dispatch News.

Nevertheless, Murkowski persisted. In fact, she took it one step further and demonstrated that she has more leverage over Zinke than he has over her. As chairman of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, Murkowski indefinitely postponed a nominations markup that the Interior Department badly wants.

This demonstrated the degree to which Zinke’s ham-handed phone call was political malpractice. The secretary, or whoever at the White House ordered him to make the calls, clearly doesn’t understand the awesome power that comes with being the chairman of a Senate committee. Only an amateur would threaten the person who has oversight over his agency! If she wants, Murkowski can make Zinke’s life so unbelievably miserable. He has no idea. (The Interior Department did not respond to requests for comment.)

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I had edited my post to say that yes this has occurred before. The 1985 bill was introduced at the tail end of FY1985 and passed in FY1986.

Interestingly that also skips over the end of the congressional year; it's entirely possible that the 2017 reconciliation bill will never formally die unless it's voted down on the floor.

e: okay, saw your edit, I couldn't actually find the text of the bill to check if it was mistitled

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

farraday posted:

This is my concern as well. I don't know where you would find it, but my feeling would be that the reconciliation language should only be active during the FY the budget resolution is active for. Would it be a matter for the Parliamentarian?

Yes. My other concern is that a lot of the rules-breaking McConnell could have done for this bill would have had the net effect of killing the filibuster because they'd effectively kill the Byrd Rule, and then Democrats would just be like why keep pretending. However, just breaking a timing rule like this, where they're still adhering to the letter of the law but they're doing illogical things (which the entire use of reconciliation to do substantive policy sort of is) may seem to him like it won't meaningfully increase the chance that Democrats abolish the filibuster.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Twitter transgender ban ignored by pentagon, ACA held up, veto-proof Russian sanctions, and no recess appointments to fire Mueller. So, Trump is already lameduck?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/890815543258865664

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Covok posted:

Lion Ted?

You mean the zodiac killer? The knee-bender? How can MAGA pedes be so desperate?

The way they have no loyalty to anyone except Trump is repulsive to me. Say something bad about Trump and you're a cuck. Then compliment him and you're a MAGA alpha -- but you know they're just saying words, they still look down on you and now think you're weak. One wrong move and they're back to hating you. No in between. Trump does it too.

They're miserable, joyless people and they want to spread that.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Sneakster posted:

Twitter transgender ban ignored by pentagon, ACA held up, veto-proof Russian sanctions, and no recess appointments to fire Mueller. So, Trump is already lameduck?

For the next week or so.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Sneakster posted:

That duck has bone spurs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol that the fate of billions of lives depends on a glorified, trussed up version of the deadline for a year's p-card receipts

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oliveoil posted:

Wait, why would he want to gently caress over Ryan?

Because Ryan pulled some procedural bullshti about being "willing" to conference but not actually promising to conference and McCain realized he was planning on loving over the Senate and he's the kind of old bastard who still thinks the Senate has dignity and shouldn't be hosed with.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

:allears: That's my Senator

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Sneakster posted:

Everyone should follow every use of his name with "quack".

Yes its petty and childish but the man deserves no respect and if it gained any traction it has a non zero chance of making him quit.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Just go all the way and call him Donald Duck imo.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Watch Trump start a war.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Donald Duck actually served in the military though.

I'll be honest personally I prefer ducks who don't get captured by Beagle Boys.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Man, that poo poo is so drat good haha

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

So you're saying Bowser's army wasn't born - it was made.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
There have been so many bizarre chapters to the Trump presidency but July 27, 2017 is going to need its own book.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Haha so McCain really did so the Roman emperor thumbs down thing I thought that was just a joke by this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

mango sentinel posted:

Watch Trump start a war.

Gotta truly become president somehow

• Locked thread