Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I had a can of beef broth in the pantry, so I ended up using that with three can-fuls of water and three limes as the soup base. I probably should have ditched the beef broth entirely-- the meaty flavor of the soup isn't overbearing, but it's more intense than I expected. You were right about all the extras, this didn't need any more ingredients (Except maybe some bell pepper, to complete the cajun trifecta).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm trying to get on a diet of the general "eat less poo poo, be full, lose weight" variety, and I'm looking for good make ahead meals to bring to work for lunch. Anyone got any good ideas? Hot or cold is fine, but i only really have access to a fridge and microwave. I have been doing home made frozen burritos for the last few weeks and have gotten really tired of them, so anything other than that would be appreciated, thanks.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm trying to get on a diet of the general "eat less poo poo, be full, lose weight" variety, and I'm looking for good make ahead meals to bring to work for lunch. Anyone got any good ideas? Hot or cold is fine, but i only really have access to a fridge and microwave. I have been doing home made frozen burritos for the last few weeks and have gotten really tired of them, so anything other than that would be appreciated, thanks.

I used to make a huge batch of pasta for the week, but with a twist. I was trying to lose weight at the time and used 1 lb. of pasta for five days worth of lunches, which isn't much pasta per day. I'd make huge portions though, by filling it out with tons of veggies. I was particular to broccoli, mushrooms, onions, spinach, and squash/zucchini, but you can go for whatever veggies tickle your fancy. To cut down on the sugar found in typical storebought sauces, I'd make my own by cooking down a 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes with a large quartered yellow onion and some garlic, and stick blending it all into a nice sauce. Salt to taste. I also added a bunch of chopped up chicken breast to add some protein.

When the veggies:pasta ratio is something like 3:1, you still get that delicious carby pasta goodness along with tons of fiber and filling veg.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Bean and rice bowls are awesome

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

neogeo0823 posted:

Something like this is good.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

neogeo0823 posted:

I usually bulk cook chicken or beef for salad, and make the salad in 5 mins before going to work. Not very time consuming.

when I try to lose weight, I will generally try to cut back on carbs a lot. I get most of my carb intake from veggies rather than white rice, pasta, etc. So I'll bulk cook some protein and some veg sides. My 2 most common ones are cauliflower in the oven:

rub oil and preferred seasonings on the head after cutting off stem
heat oven to 350 or so
put in cast iron and cover with tinfoil for about 20-30 min to soften
remove foil and crank head to char the head. You can hack it up a bit here if you want to get more char all over.

brussel sprouts are also easy, and can be healthy depending on what you toss with. basic is prep them and cut in half, throw in cast iron with oil/fat and whatever seasonings. Drop in a 350 or so oven til charred and softened.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I cut back on carbs when dropping weight as well.

For brussel sprouts, I split them then boil for 5 mins. Dice and cook bacon in the cast iron, add the brussel sprouts and some minced garlic until crispy then toss with some parmesan. The wife is hooked on that recipe.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

neogeo0823 posted:

Get 20 bucks worth of pickled ginger, daikon, short grain rice, wasabi, and cheap fake crab meat. Make some sushi rolls, keep em in the fridge!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

I find the eat less be full comes with tracking your food. Get a scale, use MyFitnessPal and see where you're getting all your calories. For me it was soda and white rice.

I'm a fan of making a solid dinner then using the leftovers for lunch the next day. Microwave is fine. Get yourself a bento box. They're super flexible.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sushi sounds amazing right now, so I'm gonna go with sushi rice bowls this week. Next week, I'll be trying that couscous and beans dish TychoCelchuuu posted. And I do have a food scale and I think I still have a MFP account, so I can start tracking that stuff. I typically make cold steeped tea for myself for drinks for the week, and a bulk meal for lunches. Dinners are harder because I'm at the whim of my wife's hunger pangs, but getting lunches and breakfasts under control should make things easier.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ron Jeremy posted:

I'm a fan of making a solid dinner then using the leftovers for lunch the next day. Microwave is fine. Get yourself a bento box. They're super flexible.
I was at the Dollar Store a couple days ago and they had a ton of nice little tupperware-style food containers that came with premade partitions, there were even a couple which had a special little spot for adding a dressing or sauce, and even a little lid for the dressing reservoir, inside the container under the main lid. Very cool!

neogeo0823 posted:

Sushi sounds amazing right now, so I'm gonna go with sushi rice bowls this week. Next week, I'll be trying that couscous and beans dish TychoCelchuuu posted. And I do have a food scale and I think I still have a MFP account, so I can start tracking that stuff. I typically make cold steeped tea for myself for drinks for the week, and a bulk meal for lunches. Dinners are harder because I'm at the whim of my wife's hunger pangs, but getting lunches and breakfasts under control should make things easier.
I have been making monster-sized sushi rolls (futomaki is what they're called in the restaurant) out of Krab, and also canned tuna mixed with sriracha and mayo. The canned tuna is deffo not sashima grade but it's tasty and a lot more filling than a tuna sandwich on white bread would be.

I have found that making about 1 cup of sushi rice is enough rice for two very big rolls, with maybe one serving of rice left over. You could probably make 3 nice rolls from 1 cup of rice with a little practise, but I always overfill my burritos and my nori rolls are no different.

Also, if you're using ingredients like Krab and cooked tuna, you can leave a roll in the fridge for close to 24 hours before it doesn't taste pretty good, just make sure it's not in contact with any water or juicy stuff like sushi ginger.

If you're interested in this, take an hour or so and go online and google around for "sushi ingredients" and "sushi ideas" etc, write down a list of what you have and what you want to have on-hand, and then go shopping. I was pretty shocked that I managed to walk out of my asian grocery with daikon (get a smallish but whole one, you can use them up really fast in salads and stuff), takuan (get this AND fresh daikon, they're way way different and both very good), enoki mushrooms, furikake rice seasoning, sushi rice seasoning, salted seaweed, a new jar of pickled ginger, wasabi powder, etc... All for less than 20 bucks. (the receipt was actually 28 bucks, but the 8 bucks in candy wasn't me LOL). As a side effect of making a grocery list and learning ingredients, I now know a bunch of japanese names for stuff too.

edit: don't forget to cover your sushi rolling mat with saran wrap BEFORE you use it! I had to throw mine out because I let rice get into it and dry out, and now I have to roll mine by hand. :saddowns:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 30, 2017

mystes
May 31, 2006

Another sort of similar option is onigiri (Japanese rice balls with fillings that aren't raw fish).

Even better, the super lazy version "onigirazu" which is like a sandwich you make by laying out a whole sheet of nori on a piece of plastic wrap, putting rice on top, add a filling on top of that, folding the corners of the nori in two make a square, and then (optionally, when you serve them) cutting the square in half:

How to make them:

Result:

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 31, 2017

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Offal is pretty cheap. I'm not that brave, but I heard that heart is an easy intro. So! I got a 4 lb beef heart from the farmer's market last week. Trimmed down, it was a week's worth of delicious, grass-fed local steak for about $8. Probably a lot more if I knew wtf I was doing while trimming it. There were plenty of "bits" that I could've saved to make stir-fry, I think.

So trimming was kind of gross, but it was worth it after I cut it into strips, then seared it in butter with garlic and rosemary. I did marinate some overnight but they weren't as good. Heart is lean, so I think the butter helped the flavor the most. Was slightly tough in places, but no gristle and tasted amazing. I've had much worse steaks that I've paid a lot more for. Made some cuban black beans, some sweet potato wedges with lime and cilantro and sauteed onions and mushrooms to go with it because I loving love mushrooms and onions.

They sell other offal, but I don't know if I'm brave enough. I'd like to get another heart and stuff it next time if I can find a recipe that makes me drool enough to try.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mystes posted:

Another sort of similar option is onigiri (Japanese rice balls with fillings that aren't raw fish).

Even better, the super lazy version "onigirazu" which is like a sandwich you make by laying out a whole sheet of nori on a piece of plastic wrap, putting rice on top, add a filling on top of that, folding the corners of the nori in two make a square, and then (optionally, when you serve them) cutting the square in half:

How to make them:

Result:

Goddamn that looks good. I made tempura and then rolls but my friend's kids were around, so we used saran wrap sorry!

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

We just did a food bank run and now have a big bag of zucchini and eggplant. Apart from the obvious ratatouille, what would you guys suggest we do with eggplant or squash?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bliss Authority posted:

We just did a food bank run and now have a big bag of zucchini and eggplant. Apart from the obvious ratatouille, what would you guys suggest we do with eggplant or squash?

Squash noodles are a good paleo replacement and use a lot of squash.

Also zucchini bread is a staple around here in late summer because I always plant too many.

I made squash jam once too. I liked it but nobody else in my crew did.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Eggplant straight up roasted and treated like a weird squishy potato (tons of garlic, salt, oil, maybe lemon) is great! You can roast meat on top of it too, like chicken thighs or legs, and it will come out great. I haven't had great success with eggplant based veggie meatballs in sauce, but that doesn't mean you won't; I do hesitate to share what I've done because it hasn't worked well. Roasted in planks, both zucchini and eggplant do well in place of noodles in lasagna. Eggplant is also the focus of many excellent curries (like shaahi baigan) and stir fries.

Zucchini also has the added benefit of being good raw, particularly when julienned fine or mandolined fine and salted down aggressively and allowed to drain excess liquid off for 15 minutes or so and then rinsed. This results in a much more flexible zucchini that is great as a salad or cold noodle. Try it with a peanut noodle sauce to start with. I am not a huge fan of the zoodle as a hot dish (hot marinara plus zoodles is a total dud for me) but they go very well with just about any cold sauce, vinaigrette, or salsa you can dream up.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I posted a recipe earlier in this thread for a sort of Greek version of ratatouille called briami. It's very nice. Also you can use the eggplant to make babaganoush; the zucchini can be tossed in tempura batter and fried to make zucchini chips, which are delicious served with crumbled feta and oregano.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Modnote: Nothing to see here.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 26, 2017

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

That wasn't exactly the healthy selection of fruit and veg I was hoping for.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I was really hoping for more variety, there are at least 5 or 6 categories in the food guide pyramid but apparently the balls pooping out the butt pyramid only has 2 or 3. Sad!

The Lord Bude posted:

I posted a recipe earlier in this thread for a sort of Greek version of ratatouille called briami. It's very nice. Also you can use the eggplant to make babaganoush; the zucchini can be tossed in tempura batter and fried to make zucchini chips, which are delicious served with crumbled feta and oregano.
I really love slicing zucchini lengthwise into 1/4" slices and then dredging them in panko. Also, just cutting them into 6" long wedges, rolling them in a little olive oil and herbs de provence and then tossing them onto the grill (or onto a hot skillet for a little bit) makes them very yummy. Save the overgrown late season zuccs for bread, because they're useless for almost everything else except scooping out the seeds and stuffing the squash with something else.

Also, you can use zucchini to make falafel, which is super tasty - just don't forget to add an entire bunch (the whole bunch you get at the store) of parsley or cilantro or whatever fresh herbs you want, into it.

Also cutting up zucchini like I mentioned above, works great to make pseudo lasagnas and stuff, just put them into the pan in layers and then add whatever fillings you want, and then alternate layers.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Bliss Authority posted:

I have a load of recipes saved for both veg but many of them don't fit the "Help! I'm poor!" criteria so let's go with cheap and great:

Courgette, Potato & Cheddar Soup is simple, cheap and (as they state) will use up a load of zukes and is delicious.

My parents usually get a good crop of zucchini and sling some my way. A go-to is halving lengthways, scooping out the innards, chopping them, frying that with some chopped onion, garlic and seasoning in a little oil until tender. Then mix that with what grated cheese you like (a crumbly blue and some kind of hard Italian like Pecorino together work really well but make it up as you go along depending on taste/budget). I usually throw in some snipped chives which are great if you have them (super-easy to grow!). Shove the mixture back into your raw, hollowed "boats" and bake on a tray in the oven at a medium temperature (170C/340F ish) for about 20/25 mins? (I just check occasionally until the filling is melty and poke with something to make sure the zucchini is nice and tender). Breadcrumbs on top before you bake if you're feeling posh. Good stuff.

For the eggplant, this is something I saved from a magazine ages ago and is barely even a recipe but is great, quick comfort food:

quote:

Aubergine, Tomato and Pasta Layer

250g (9oz) fusilli pasta
1 aubergine
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 x 290g jar tomato and chilli sauce
25g (1oz) strong Cheddar

Cook the pasta. Meanwhile, preheat the grill.

Remove the stem from the aubergine, then cut into six slices lengthways. Use the oil to brush over the cut surfaces and place onto a grill pan. Grill for about 10 mins until golden brown and tender, turning when the first sides are done. Leave the grill on.

Drain the pasta, return it to the pan and add the sauce. Heat gently until the sauce is hot, stirring to prevent it sticking.

Put two slices of aubergine in a shallow heatproof dish. Top with half the pasta, then two more slices of aubergine, then the remaining pasta. Top with the last two slices of aubergine and the cheese, finely grated.

Grill until the cheese is melted and golden. Serve immediately.

The jarred sauce is the semi-expensive bit so I usually make my own. Any basic homemade tomato sauce with a chilli kick works just fine. I like to throw some halved olives in mine as well. Generally makes 2 hearty portions if your eggplant is on the large side. Use a couple if yours are a bit small.

Apologies for UK terminology/measurements but it's easy to convert (grill/broil (top-down heat!), aubergine/eggplant, courgette/zucchini etc. etc.).

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Thanks for the ideas to everyone, except the dude who didn't realize I wanted to cook and eat the zucchini I guess.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Just give it a rinse afterwards and it's still good to go for cooking.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm kind of OCD about cleanliness in my food, so i just entirely peel them, too.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Help me, thread, I need inspiration. I've got 3.5lbs of chuck roast that I'm looking to cook. It's in 2 roughly equal chunks, so I could do a recipe that calls for 1.75lbs of roast if needed. I know that my wife doesn't wanna do daube(cajun beef roast), and we're both tired of the standard beef stew and beef pot roast, but beyond that I've got nothing for good ideas. Slow cooker or oven, either is fine. Whatever ingredients is fine. I'm mostly just looking to try something that's both good and new here.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
https://www.budgetbytes.com/2017/07/slow-cooker-sesame-beef/

That came up first on the site, and its a great base for whatever Asian-inspired dish you pair it with. There's suggestions in the recipe as well as the comments. Good luck!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

neogeo0823 posted:

Help me, thread, I need inspiration. I've got 3.5lbs of chuck roast that I'm looking to cook. It's in 2 roughly equal chunks, so I could do a recipe that calls for 1.75lbs of roast if needed. I know that my wife doesn't wanna do daube(cajun beef roast), and we're both tired of the standard beef stew and beef pot roast, but beyond that I've got nothing for good ideas. Slow cooker or oven, either is fine. Whatever ingredients is fine. I'm mostly just looking to try something that's both good and new here.

Chili

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Yeah, isn't chuck roast basically the ideal meat for chili or spaghetti sauce? Not the most novel thing in the world, but delicious, especially cubed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I would typically use brisket if I was making beef chilli. But chuck would work very well too.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009
Okay, so I have a minor, tiny problem getting my grocery costs back down recently. Wasn't too much a problem before, but having some problems with my teeth at the moment has made it so I can't eat white rice. Yeah, it sounds stupid, but something of the starch/sugar/something in it always screws with me and I end up in a lot of pain.

So basically, any recommendations for a cheap alternative to rice? Pasta only works with so many things. Maybe orzo, but again, just dishes that I used to make that fed me for most of the week are now kinda off the table, and my budget is suffering a little.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Can you still eat brown rice? It's marginally more expensive, but better for you and will keep you feeling fuller longer than white rice.

Other carb options would be potatoes of course, but also things like: Couscous, polenta, pearl barley (great for filling out stews and soups). Or add more legumes to your food. If your dish is based around lentils or chickpeas or similar you probably don't need rice or pasta. You could serve them with bread - there are a number of very simple indian breads that can be cooked in a fryingpan.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Can you still eat brown rice? It's marginally more expensive, but better for you and will keep you feeling fuller longer than white rice.

Other carb options would be potatoes of course, but also things like: Couscous, polenta, pearl barley (great for filling out stews and soups). Or add more legumes to your food. If your dish is based around lentils or chickpeas or similar you probably don't need rice or pasta. You could serve them with bread - there are a number of very simple indian breads that can be cooked in a fryingpan.

Brown rice is less of an issue, and hell if I know why. I did buy some, but extra cooking time during the week, so it's a less optimal choice really for mid-week meals. Which is sad. I like rice.

And wow... For some reason, until you said it, I'd entirely forgotten couscous existed. That has potential, and the barley. Polenta just always gets made into grits before it becomes polenta around here.

Thank you!

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
What can i do with 2kgs of pinto beans?? TIA

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

refried

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Borracho beans, serve over rice. Make a main dish if you want but I'll have just beans and rice in a pinch - just add some veggies/aromatics, and maybe some sausage if you want extra meat.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

neogeo0823 posted:

Make Crockpot curry, then heat it up, it lasts about a week in the fridge.

Green Curry specifically, ton of vegetables and poo poo.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What's some good poo poo that I can make in bulk and freezes well? My dinners have been nothing but pasta, pulled pork, and beef and I'm really getting sick of all those.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
For the winter, I make red beans and rice (make your red beans and freeze individual portions to thaw out and pour over rice). Shepherd's pie freezes well, as does chicken pot pie that is homemade. I'll do individual frozen portions of lasagna as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What's some good poo poo that I can make in bulk and freezes well? My dinners have been nothing but pasta, pulled pork, and beef and I'm really getting sick of all those.
Soups and stews.