Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
This curse makes me worry that Cody will never be on the block again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001

Muddy Burphy posted:

This curse makes me worry that Cody will never be on the block again.

Jess and Cody should absolutely play every week as long as they have the temptation. If you are a 3rd nominee, you are guaranteed to get to play in veto and if you win the competition you are safe, either way you can't be backdoored. If it winds up with you on the block on Thursday, you just push the eviction.

Paul would be silly not to try to nominate Jess and Cody, right now the temptation is an unknown. The more you try to do to Jess, the more information you have about what it can and can't do.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing that I think Jessica doesn't understand about threatening people with her mysterious, dangerous power is that if its THAT dangerous then why would you want to leave her and Cody in the game with it? I mean, sure, it might screw you this week but what's the upside in letting them hang onto it? Maybe if you think you can float long enough for it to get used and discarded and for everything to happen on its own. But there's not a ton of floaters left in that house, and even less people who are comfortable keeping Cody and Jess with power. And Paul probably isn't one of them.

It goes back to a lot of Cody and Jessica's main problems. They don't see the game as one where you convince people to work with you for their good. They talk about "fear" and "loyalty" and "strong arming." They think they can win BB by being intimidating tyrants and that's never actually worked.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Basically I think that's it. Its such an innocuous, nonsensical, silly insult to throw at people and yet Cody, Jess, and Mark all act like he just called them "cocksucking motherfuckers." So he keeps doing it.

Now I'm torn, this is still good but I also never want to hear the word "meatball" again

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its like typical teasing math. Its only funny as long as the cool kids keep letting it get to them. The second they stop then Josh becomes annoying as gently caress.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

The thing that I think Jessica doesn't understand about threatening people with her mysterious, dangerous power is that if its THAT dangerous then why would you want to leave her and Cody in the game with it? I mean, sure, it might screw you this week but what's the upside in letting them hang onto it? Maybe if you think you can float long enough for it to get used and discarded and for everything to happen on its own. But there's not a ton of floaters left in that house, and even less people who are comfortable keeping Cody and Jess with power. And Paul probably isn't one of them.

It goes back to a lot of Cody and Jessica's main problems. They don't see the game as one where you convince people to work with you for their good. They talk about "fear" and "loyalty" and "strong arming." They think they can win BB by being intimidating tyrants and that's never actually worked.

Yeah I feel like a handful of HGs each year forget that it is impossible to win BB if everyone hates you, because the winner is decided by the jury.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its always prevalent in those "alpha douche" or "cool kid" alliances where they're all about how they're better than the others and will just run the table so everyone needs to just accept it and do their bidding. It never, ever, works out that way and Big Brother is basically designed to keep that from working by letting power shift every week. But you can't tell self absorbed 24-year-olds that they're not the best thing in the world if they really think they are.

But also a lot of what's happening with Jody now is, I think, a defense mechanism. They just can't make peace with the idea that they screwed up or are to blame for their problems or just plain aren't liked by people in the house. So I think Jess' announcement was less about the strategy of it saving her and Cody and more about lashing out against the people who had just screwed her.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Jody are great villains. I hate them, but I want to keep watching in the hopes he'll get his comeuppance. This isn't like Big Brother 15 where I hated people but didn't want to watch them anymore (I think I stopped watching halfway through). Mind you, my fear is that if he ever does get eliminated, I am not sure who I would root for in the house. My emotional reaction right now is "anyone by Jody", but I am not sure who I actually want to see win. I am a pretty big fan of Kevin right now, and I am starting to warm up to Alex/Jason.

My favourite Cody moment so far has been his serial killer reaction to Christmas explaining how she was the first pit girl. He literally has to put on an act to be a real human.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Tonight's the night. It's going to happen again and again. Has to happen. Cody, you have been evicted from the Big Brother house.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Jess is SO loving SALTY that Paul didn't buy her cryptic bullshit and she's gotta burn the Hex this early.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Jess is SO loving SALTY" is basically the theme of the season.

Its a wonder they gave her a cozy enough edit and/or long enough time for the internet to unite to get her that Hex in the first place.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Jess is SO loving SALTY that Paul didn't buy her cryptic bullshit and she's gotta burn the Hex this early.
Probably, but it really isn't in her best interest to do so.
The Cody anchor is literally weighing her down to further drown.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Jess calling everyone idiots for not stupidly buying into her worthless threats :laffo:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its so sophomoric and I'll be the first to admit that if it were some other person or some other circumstance I might be a hypocrite and be outraged by it...

But I can't help but lose my poo poo at this Josh stuff. I mean, that shot of Mark just standing dejected at the bathroom sink while Josh dances around him had me rolling.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 31, 2017

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mahoning posted:

She's a dumbass.

She should have told Paul exactly what her power was, and he would have believed her, and not put her up, so as not to waste his HOH. By being so vague about her power, nobody knew what to think.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Orange Sunshine posted:

She's a dumbass.

She should have told Paul exactly what her power was, and he would have believed her, and not put her up, so as not to waste his HOH. By being so vague about her power, nobody knew what to think.

I'm not so sure about that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Eh. If she hadn't been cryptic about it and just said "I can cancel an eviction" he probably would have believed it. It's a relatively straightforward power and would jive with the other temptations. Probably would have still made her burn it anyway.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Some hype for the upcoming Wednesday show. There was some good fallout from the nominations, so everyone might want to drop in to see the house get stirred up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Paul may or may not have put them up if he had know about the Hex. Jess still should have told him to see. That fight she had early in the show with Cody was him saying exactly that and her insisting that they just had to keep pretending they were more powerful than they were to scare Paul. For Jess its always about "strong arming" people and scaring them which is why she was so salty that somehow it didn't work.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

What even is her power? Has the show actually explained what it is? My limited understanding is that she can stop the votes, or something, but it doesn't seem like she can pull anyone down or anything. Am I missing something?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

She cancels the eviction entirely. Paul's HOH gets negated and the entire week is a waste of time. New HOH, new noms, new week.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

She has the ability to cancel the eviction at any point prior to the vote. I'm not certain how much longer she has it. This week, next week, and that may be it? One more?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

She had it for four evictions. So Dom's, Ramses', this one, and the next.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

When she first got her power, it looked like the latest she could use it was during her nomination speech during the live show. Julie made a point to say that Jess elected not to use her power once they finished their speeches and they started the voting.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, she's gotta use it before the vote. I assume she has to use it during the Live Show when Julie starts that whole process, but I don't think that's ever really been confirmed. But it makes sense for dramatic purposes.

Although it theoretically means a whole segment or two of TV time they have to fill since there's no votes, eviction, or interview.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

STAC Goat posted:

Although it theoretically means a whole segment or two of TV time they have to fill since there's no votes, eviction, or interview.

Will need a long HoH comp. We are probably due for the "fill the large globe up with water until you can pull the ball out" comp.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Oh wow, that's a bit more powerful than I thought. But, with her position in the house, she'll have to hope and pray that they win the new HOH, or else they're just going up again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eltoasto posted:

Will need a long HoH comp. We are probably due for the "fill the large globe up with water until you can pull the ball out" comp.

Well there's no guarantee of that since they didn't know when the Hex would be used. If Jess had used it last week then they couldn't have stretched out that questions HOH.

Either they would have just had a longer segment after HOH talking the HGs or they would have some kind of pre packaged segment they could throw in before HOH.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Orange Sunshine posted:

She's a dumbass.

This is true. I originally thought the whole nomination debacle was all her fault, because Cody was telling her to lay out her power to Paul and she was refusing to do it because she wanted Paul to come to her (even though Paul is the HOH and they're the ones trying to avoid the block??). But in the show she did have Paul alone and ask him multiple times if he had any questions about her power. So, while she should have laid out what the Hex did to him herself, without him asking, if his HOH week goes to waste then he's at fault too since she gave him the opportunity to clear things up and he passed on it. Basically, Jessica has herself to blame for having to burn the Hex this week, and Paul has himself to blame for getting nobody out on his HOH.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh, Paul did actually ask her what her power was and she kept giving vague, cryptic, and deceptive answers. She wouldn't give it to him straight and that was what Cody was pushing her to do and she was refusing. I don't know what she hoped to accomplish from that last "Do you have any questions?" conversation but by then Paul had already decided that Jess was playing games and he couldn't trust anything she said and had to just put her and Cody up and call her bluff.

Since Paul had no real way to know what her power was I can't blame him for just throwing them up there and seeing what he can do. He was unsure if they were unable to be nominated, if she could save only one, or if it was all a bluff. So what can you do? Just believe the person making vague threats and give them everything they want even when the house wants them up?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

She's not allowed to lie and she asked him alone repeatedly if he had any questions. How about asking, "What happens if I nominate you?" If she vaguely bses it's her problem, but if she spills the actual facts, he already has plan b nominations laid out if he wants to avoid an empty week. She gave him the opportunity to ask and he didn't take it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Why ask when you're almost certain she isn't going to give you a straight answer anyway? It was easier for him to just throw her up on the block and see what happens at that point.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He did ask questions like that, though. She just kept saying that her and Cody were safe. She was refusing to tell him anything. And even if she did he had already caught her lying about it and he knew the "I can't lie" thing was iffy since he had been less than truthful about his own power.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm pretty sure the conversation in question was from when feeds were off right before noms. You can say maybe she would have still blown him off with muddy "we're safe, if you nom us it's bad for you" garbage but in the footage that aired on TV he clearly didn't even attempt to ask what would happen, when that would have obviously been the time to do so. He also could have just as easily told her he was going to test her power by nominating her, and then it seems like he'd have gotten the full story from her. There's not really any point in blindsiding someone with an unknown power when they come to talk to you just before nominations.

And mind you, I clearly said she should have just been up front with him far before then and said it's her own fault her hex is getting blown. Not only that, but the mistake came less from bad strategic reasoning than from just pettiness and pride on her part.

I'm just also saying that she ultimately went to him and Paul had the opportunity to talk to her one on one before nominations and he blew her off, and now his HOH week is blown.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd like to say that I blame both Jess for being prideful, dishonest, and coy and Paul for being prideful, dishonest, and overly complicated. He didn't HAVE to mislead Jody in thinking they weren't going up. But I'm just not sure how i can blame Paul for not asking about Jess' power when he did multiple times. Should he have asked AGAIN when Jess pulled him aside moments before noms? Maybe, but he had no real reason to think she'd be more forthright or honest at that point and he had already discussed and set a plan with the rest of the house. So even if she had come clean he would have had to change up on 8 other people without any warning.

Ultimately Jessica was both the person in the ostensible position of weakness and the person working with the most information. So it was on her to sell Paul that it was against his best interests to nominate them.

It goes back to what people have been saying that Jess and Cody just don't get that BB isn't about convincing X to do what's best for them, its about convincing X that their agenda is in X's best interest. Jess had the information to potentially sell that to Paul and she chose not to use it.

Ultimately its another reminder that no one's playing a particularly good game this year. Although Paul at least has numbers.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 2, 2017

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

STAC Goat posted:

It goes back to what people have been saying that Jess and Cody just don't get that BB isn't about convincing X to do what's best for them, its about convincing X that their agenda is in X's best interest. Jess had the information to potentially sell that to Paul and she chose not to use it.

A lot of times it doesn't even seem like Jess and Cody convince X to do what's best for them, especially Jess. She just assumes they'll do it as if everyone views the game through the lens of what's best for Jess's game.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Muddy Burphy posted:

A lot of times it doesn't even seem like Jess and Cody convince X to do what's best for them, especially Jess. She just assumes they'll do it as if everyone views the game through the lens of what's best for Jess's game.

Yeah Jess and Cody's delusion is exacerbated by the fact that they expect everyone to see the game through their eyes, but are too lazy and entitled to put in the effort in to MAKE them see things that way.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I like when Cody does a stonefaced DR stating he has no interest in working with person X because they betrayed him earlier in the game. It's like he's not even trying to repair relationships outside of Mark, which will just lead to another eventual ousting.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cody's whole self image is wrapped up in "Semper Fidelis" so he doesn't forgive what he perceives as "disloyalty" and refuses to admit that he's ever been "disloyal" (when he's basically betrayed everyone in the house).

I have no idea what he's doing on Big Brother or what he thinks this game is. I'd excuse him as being a dumb recruit who thinks its all comps and Bomb Squad bro alliances, but he's not. He's an actual fan who watches the show and loves it except for the characters, drama, backstabbing, and lying. Which I guess leaves comps.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

STAC Goat posted:

Cody's whole self image is wrapped up in "Semper Fidelis" so he doesn't forgive what he perceives as "disloyalty" and refuses to admit that he's ever been "disloyal" (when he's basically betrayed everyone in the house).

I have no idea what he's doing on Big Brother or what he thinks this game is. I'd blame him being a dumb recruit who thinks its all comps and Bomb Squad bro alliances, but he's not. He's an actual fan who watches the show and loves it except for the characters, drama, backstabbing, and lying. Which I guess leaves comps.

In that case I would chalk him up as someone who was miscast and would be better suited for Survivor.

• Locked thread