Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Rirse posted:

After a few misfires, I managed to get backups of PS1 games working on my PS2. Now the thing is...what some hidden gems for the PS1 beyond some stuff I been wanting to play again like Brave Fencer Musashi, SaGa Frontier, Tobal, and Star Gladiator?

Warhawk, Hearts of Darkness, Crusader: No Remorse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

In Training posted:

Oh yeah Parasite Eve 1 is awesome. 2 is...fine. If you like JRPGs I recently played through Wild Arms 1 and 2 and can highly recommend both! 2 in particular has greatly refined mechanics and really fun story and setting. Music is killer in both as well.

How can you tell Wild Arms 2 has a good story considering the insane translation? (I haven't actually played it, just know it by reputation)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How can you tell Wild Arms 2 has a good story considering the insane translation? (I haven't actually played it, just know it by reputation)

Not good, fun. Which is how I would describe it. It probably would've been melodramatic and too self serious if given to competent hands.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
Throwing in Vandal Hearts and Front Mission 3 (if you like SRPGs) for PS1 recommendations. Gunners Heaven is a fun Treasure-style 2D run and gun. Bishi Bashi Special is huge fun with a couple of players, and Vib Ribbon's worth a play just to experience it (and to listen to its excellently odd music).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

Not good, fun. Which is how I would describe it. It probably would've been melodramatic and too self serious if given to competent hands.

Ahhh, gotcha.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Were any of the non Final Fantasy worth visiting on the PS1? Xenogears and Suikoden 1 & 2 are some my favorite games of all time, and the more actionary ones like Brave Fencer Musashi and Vagrant Story were awesome, but then I see entries I never hear much about like Jade Cocoon.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Rirse posted:

Were any of the non Final Fantasy worth visiting on the PS1? Xenogears and Suikoden 1 & 2 are some my favorite games of all time, and the more actionary ones like Brave Fencer Musashi and Vagrant Story were awesome, but then I see entries I never hear much about like Jade Cocoon.

It depends on what draws you to JRPGs. Games like Jade Cocoon, Legend of Legaia, and Legend of Dragoon generally aren't great for most people. The stories aren't super interesting, the graphics weren't that good, even at the time. Each one does have some novelty that makes it fun if you are really into the genre.

Jade Cocoon has some simple Pokemon style monster collecting and battling. Legend of Legaia has an input system on combat that I enjoyed. When you select to do a basic attack, you input directions on the d-pad. Each direction eats up some portion of the bar. As you play, you unlock fighting move style combinations you can input. Legend of Dragoon's production values are higher than most other PS1 RPGs, but that doesn't mean much nowadays. The combat has an active time component, similar to Mario RPG, where you need to press a key at the right time to maximize the damage you do.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you play any non-Final Fantasy game at least play Grandia.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Rirse posted:

did you ever play star ocean: the second story or valkyrie profile?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The translation is wonky but judging from WA1 I think the original text was probably like that too, a lot of the characters are written like stand up comedians and making Japanese puns, which were just translated poorly in 2. But the broad strokes and most dialogue is perfectly legible, it's just that a lot of town NPCs or flavor texts are just inane which is what people took screengrabs of and shared for the last decade +.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rollersnake posted:

Lode Runner: The Legend Returns - I'm not sure how hidden a gem this is. I think it was pretty popular on PC in its day, but I haven't seen anyone mention it in ages. The PS1 version has remixed music and extra levels, and at the very least it's another good game with a level editor.

Yeah my buddy used to own this one and it's really good. He and I are the only people I know that's even heard of it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Parachute posted:

did you ever play star ocean: the second story or valkyrie profile?

I had the PSP verison of Valkrie Profile and loved it. Star Ocean 2 I heard suppose to be good, but the third ruined the early entries with it stupid plot twist to ever visit them.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Star Ocean 2 is the only good one

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'd call Blaster Master Blasting Again a "hidden gem" and it was a post-PS2 release so everybody forgot about it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rirse posted:

I had the PSP verison of Valkrie Profile and loved it. Star Ocean 2 I heard suppose to be good, but the third ruined the early entries with it stupid plot twist to ever visit them.

Good news, you don't need to worry about the plot, it's dumb in all of the games!

Mak0rz posted:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tales of Eternia (branded as Tales of Destiny 2 outside of Japan IIRC) is pretty good from what I remember The boss battles get insanely hard at times though. I gave up at one of the craymel fights, but I wasn't really invested in the game at that point anyway.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

ProjektorBoy posted:

You mean like this popular case? http://a.co/1Swr5Mo

Considering that my original complaint was having the ethernet port under the flip lid, this isn't gonna cut it, either.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Mak0rz posted:

Star Ocean 2 is good, but I'd probably recommend the PSP remake over the PS original.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

If you like Brave Fencer Musashi you might like Threads of Fate which is a similar type of action RPG with two playable characters with their own plots. The execution isn't the best but the plot and characters are fun, at least for the girl character.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Rirse posted:

So what should I do with the Dreamcast if it can't read discs?

Buy this from a weird Russian 3DO enthusiast.
http://3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I kind of want to build a Pi based emu box but what I like about the dedicated ones is that they just turn right on instead of showing some dumb linux boot screen. A tiny nitpick but it just puts me off vs buying something (more like stealing, at this point) like NES/SNES mini

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Alright guys, I'm getting a flashcart for my Genesis but I don't understand the difference between the Everdrive v3 and the Mega Everdrive v3. Which one is better or are they pretty much the same?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I kind of want to build a Pi based emu box but what I like about the dedicated ones is that they just turn right on instead of showing some dumb linux boot screen. A tiny nitpick but it just puts me off vs buying something (more like stealing, at this point) like NES/SNES mini

The Nintendo hardware runs Linux too, it just hides all that stuff by default and is a bit more optimised for faster booting as well (though it's far from instant, about 8 seconds?). You can hide the boot screen on the Pi too with some fiddling or replace it with a custom splash screen.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Considering that my original complaint was having the ethernet port under the flip lid, this isn't gonna cut it, either.

Would you prefer your USB ports be in the back? I agree that having a network line coming out of the mouth of your microNES looks goofy but thems the breaks if you want controllers connected to the front because that's where all those ports are soldered on the Pi.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Wizgot posted:

Alright guys, I'm getting a flashcart for my Genesis but I don't understand the difference between the Everdrive v3 and the Mega Everdrive v3. Which one is better or are they pretty much the same?

I'm not aware of a Mega Everdive v3 but here's a table comparing the older models.

http://krikzz.com/pub/support/var/comparison/genesis-everdrive-compare.html

The Mega Everdive v2 was renamed to the Mega Evedrive x7 when he added the x3 and x5 to the line. Here's the table comparing the modern versions:

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
I have no problem with my x3, but there's been some discussion over the past few weeks that some models may not have the best electrical work and could damage the console. I doubt it's a problem unless you leave your console running 24/7, but then again I'm not electrical engineer.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Social Dissonance posted:

I have no problem with my x3, but there's been some discussion over the past few weeks that some models may not have the best electrical work and could damage the console. I doubt it's a problem unless you leave your console running 24/7, but then again I'm not electrical engineer.

I am and I'm not worried about it on everdrives. The system can get out of normal operating range but I haven't seen any evidence that the rated maximums are being exceeded with any regularity. His complaint was mostly about being outside of the normal range and even then it's not a high enough percentage of the time that I foresee real damage being done on any time scale worth worrying about. He's totally right that the design is kinda hand-wavey and it's really not hard to just do it the right way but it all got blown out of proportion.

My X5 has been great, and from what I remember reading the X5 and thus probably the X3 are fine. The X7 is an older design that doesn't do proper level translation.

Pokemon OH SNAP! fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 28, 2017

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Would you prefer your USB ports be in the back? I agree that having a network line coming out of the mouth of your microNES looks goofy but thems the breaks if you want controllers connected to the front because that's where all those ports are soldered on the Pi.

There was an NES Pi case linked earlier that was mostly awesome, where it had a separate daughterboard for USB stuff, and they had the slots in the usual controller places, and then they had two extra under the flap... but then killed because they also put an ethernet port there.

What I would prefer is the design of that first one (the one with the microSD storage solution under the chassis), but with the ethernet port dremeled into the back of it instead of under the slot flap.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Look at how awesome everything lines up in an Amiga 500 case, just get one of those:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/501472872/commodore-amiga-500-retro-raspberry-pi

Or just get this Genesis USB hub and jam a Pi in there:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?32064-Sega-Genesis-Usb-Hub

falz fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 28, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There was an NES Pi case linked earlier that was mostly awesome, where it had a separate daughterboard for USB stuff, and they had the slots in the usual controller places, and then they had two extra under the flap... but then killed because they also put an ethernet port there.

What I would prefer is the design of that first one (the one with the microSD storage solution under the chassis), but with the ethernet port dremeled into the back of it instead of under the slot flap.

That's not the NES Pi case's fault, that's the actual Ethernet port that's embedded on the Raspberry Pi. While someone who's a DIY'er could, in theory, desolder the Ethernet port and carefully solder wires to move the port, this is quite a bit of work.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

So do that? The first case just includes a little pigtail connector to bring the ethernet port to the front. You could easily add another hole and run your own line into it. No soldering needed.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

xamphear posted:

So do that? The first case just includes a little pigtail connector to bring the ethernet port to the front. You could easily add another hole and run your own line into it. No soldering needed.

No soldering, but that would leave an ugly hole where the pigtail connector was.

I will stop here and say this is more academic than a personal frustration. It's something that would keep me from paying the $20 for the case due to the "flaw", not something that would invite me to buy a $20 case with the caveat that I need to put in additional work to make it the way I want.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Buy a $5 USB NIC, problem solved.

Or use wifi like everyone else does in 2017.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is there a difference between the Tengen and Namco versions of Pac-Man for the NES? A blog post I found said the main difference was the coloring, slightly, but I was wondering if there were any others?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'd settle for a slightly larger case if that case would just include some internal port extenders that reroute everything to the back except the USB ports which route to the front or something.

So something like a more compact version of this type of thing internally:

and some of these:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 28, 2017

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
drat y'all just hook up a NES

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

PS1 Games That I Liked That Are Not Tomb Raider Final Fantasy Resident Evil Or SOTN:

Tales of: Phantasia (remake)/Destiny/Eternia
R-Type Delta
Raiden Project
Mega Man X4
Rollcage
Rival Schools
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (better ports exist but this is Good Enough)
Tenchu 1 & 2 (1 has awesome music, 2 has better gameplay)
Castlevania Chronicles
Star Ocean 2
Both Lunar remakes

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Caitlin posted:

THIS is why I don't really care so much -- I gots me one. :discourse:

Ofecks posted:

PS1 Games That I Liked That Are Not Tomb Raider Final Fantasy Resident Evil Or SOTN:

Street Fighter Alpha 3 (better ports exist but this is Good Enough)

If it weren't for the Playstation d-pad giving me a week-long thumb blister (referred to as "The Fei Long Incident of 1998"), it would be the de facto. But the Dreamcast port is where it's at.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 28, 2017

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Caitlin posted:

I'm actually debating building an emulation station for my dad because his legs are in terrible shape and he wouldn't easily be able to get up and change a cartridge. Wanted to get an NES Classic for him but obviously that's not going to happen.

We recommending PS1 games up in here?

Azure Dreams
Front Mission 3
One (might still be cheap new/sealed)
Twisted Metal 2
Blast Chamber (better 2-player)

Then there's the obvious ones like the Resident Evil series, Silent Hill, Castlevania SotN, Tekken. If you have to do the first Resident Evil, go for the director's cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Rollersnake posted:

Lode Runner: The Legend Returns - I'm not sure how hidden a gem this is. I think it was pretty popular on PC in its day, but I haven't seen anyone mention it in ages. The PS1 version has remixed music and extra levels, and at the very least it's another good game with a level editor.

This came with the very first PC we ever got as a kid (some Compaq 486) and I remember thinking the animation when the little druids catch you was the funniest thing in the entire world

• Locked thread