Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

LAW is the wooooooooorst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ardlen posted:

Did anyone else notice that the Davion dropship just booked it this turn? I wonder where it is going.

Holy Heck, didn't even notice. Good catch. Where did our ride go?!? The Coordinator-Prince is literally on the field, what more important mission could it have???

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

RA Rx posted:

Seems we've switched to enemy torso destruction being full kills. I'm assuming that doesn't go for player mechs?

I think it's part of PTN's rejiggered mechanics that went into effect this mission, where Torso destruction cripples any mech with an XL engine, even Clan ones. But I could be mistaken.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Ah I see, XL engines.

PTN, did the Hunchback lose 10 side torso armor from the one shot, or is it still pristine as on the card?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 27, 2017

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

That Jaegermech is like, channeling the frustration of everyone who has ever had to pilot a Jaegermech into concentrated shells made out of death and hate.

Holy crap.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Ardlen posted:

Did anyone else notice that the Davion dropship just booked it this turn? I wonder where it is going.

Probably just getting out of the way of the hovertank driving directly towards where it was.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Fraction Jackson posted:

Probably just getting out of the way of the hovertank driving directly towards where it was.

. . . a dropship . . . being scared off . . . by a hover-tank . . . someone's in for a whooping, go get the Coordinator-Prince a swtich . . .

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Oh hey our Jager pilot leveled up! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB0N-mRdexY

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

CourValant posted:

. . . a dropship . . . being scared off . . . by a hover-tank . . . someone's in for a whooping, go get the Coordinator-Prince a swtich . . .

Is this is the point where the Coordinator-Prince declares this his home planet and declares Davion rules combat? I'm not sure what that would entail but hopefully not a spelling bee.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jew it to it! posted:

Is this is the point where the Coordinator-Prince declares this his home planet and declares Davion rules combat? I'm not sure what that would entail but hopefully not a spelling bee.

Especially since there's a good chance his troops could lose.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Especially since there's a good chance his troops could lose.

I have high hopes for the Draconis contingent.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hey now, most of the Davions here are nobility. They can probably read.

probably

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Jew it to it! posted:

No, Davion Combat Rules is Autocannons only, in enclosed spaces.

That's right, we're talking Trial. By. Urbanmech!!!

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jew it to it! posted:

On the flipside, if this was a few years earlier in the timeline, the question "what are supply lines?" would basically only be answerable by Hanse himself. Since, as we all know, logistics are lostech.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, maybe if you're in House Davion.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Jew it to it! posted:

This is where the jager pilot invents the rac5

CourValant posted:

That's right, we're talking Trial. By. Urbanmech!!!

A centurian with a sword + shield arm and an autocannon on the other is the most Draconis Suns mech I can think of.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, maybe if you're in House Davion.

I mean before Operation Galahad moving an entire company was considered a big freaking deal. Logistics being lostech has been a canon joke since forever.

I always like to think of it as that cache of books that was used to found the NAIS having like one WWII history book, and Hanse is chilling on New Avalon one day reading about the preparations for D-Day or something, and has a coffee-cup-falling-in-slow-motion moment.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

kingcom posted:

This is where the jager pilot invents the rac5

No joke, the RAC/5 is one of my favorite weapons in all of Battletech. I like to pair them up behind snub nose PPCs and or ER Large Lasers / Large Pulse Lasers. The burst damage, when you absolutely need to take something down, is incredible.

kingcom posted:

A centurian with a sword + shield arm and an autocannon on the other is the most Draconis Suns mech I can think of.

This would be perfect for Davion-Kuritan combat rules. It would be like Yen-Lo-Wang, if Yen-Lo-Wang wasn't completely munchkin and plot-armored.

Fraction Jackson posted:

. . . Hanse is chilling on New Avalon one day reading about the preparations for D-Day or something, and has a coffee-cup-falling-in-slow-motion moment.

He'd get to the part about Operation Fortitude and mouth "WTF" to himself over and over again. "Balsa Wood Tanks?!? What kind of Lostech BS is this!?!"

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

CourValant posted:

He'd get to the part about Operation Fortitude and mouth "WTF" to himself over and over again. "Balsa Wood Tanks?!? What kind of Lostech BS is this!?!"

I would like you to know that Hanse has a whole...let's call it Outback full of worlds that can produce balsa wood tanks. They just don't have the Ikea tool to assemble them.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jew it to it! posted:

I would like you to know that Hanse has a whole...let's call it Outback full of worlds that can produce balsa wood tanks. They just don't have the Ikea tool to assemble them.

Allen wrenches/keys are also lostech.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Good news, everyone! We've invented Lincoln Logs." --The NAIS

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Alright. South Group!

We have been maneuvering well, and we have been exceedingly lucky. We cannot count on luck continuing, so we have to keep maneuvering well. The name of the game is still "find ways to focus fire on a single enemy while limiting LOS from as many enemies as possible to us". I believe that this turn we can very easily get all three of us only in sight to the glass spider and focus it down:

I think my best move is to walk to 0533 hugging the building and engaging the glass spider. The other two also have moves where you can get outside the poor summoner's LOS and be able to shoot the glass spider as well (for example, Jagermech to 0533, Hunchback to 0433, Naginata to 0434).

Other workable options: Hex 1135 gives the hunchback at a full run LoS on the damaged epona alone. Hexes 0834 and 0835 give LoS on the Summoner alone. My only really good options are to either engage the glass spider or move to 0131 without LoS from anything and try to peel that poor Summoner back to the west, again; I would be likely to do this if the two of you opted to focus on the Summoner, rather than try to 1v1 the glass spider. Thoughts?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mukaikubo posted:

Other workable options: Hex 1135 gives the hunchback at a full run LoS on the damaged epona alone. Hexes 0834 and 0835 give LoS on the Summoner alone. My only really good options are to either engage the glass spider or move to 0131 without LoS from anything and try to peel that poor Summoner back to the west, again; I would be likely to do this if the two of you opted to focus on the Summoner, rather than try to 1v1 the glass spider. Thoughts?

The Epona's pristine. The damaged one is up north. However it is just sitting there with only a +2 move mod and can only hit back with the LRMs. As an added bonus side shots have the best chance of motive system damage, so you just might take it out of the fight even if you don't manage to land the autocannon and a laser on the same location. It could well be bait, since it would force you to split the VIP from the rest of the group.

But how often do you get to shoot a hovertank on 5s

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 27, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm still laughing at my dire outlook on the situation the previous turn, and how Muk's jagermech basically just replied "nah fam i got this."

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Mukaikubo posted:

Alright. South Group!
. . .
Thoughts?

Smart maneuvering to stay alive while still focusing down a single enemy is good tactics, and really there isn't much Northern Flank can do right now to directly intervene.

Something to consider though (as the advice from last turn for Northern and Southern group to coordinate is, in fact, sound), any ideas on potentially making some OPFOR move northwards, so that we may better engage them?

There will be 3 PPC shots downrange this turn, not sure as to effectiveness; perhaps swinging back to the left of the H12 building will have the Clanners backing up, or at least, pausing in the mid-field?

Just throwing some ideas on the table, lets see if we can cobble a joint plan together.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Can tanks charge an enemy off the map?
If no I'd take the shot.

Edit: Nvm, I don't think 1135 is worth it, it takes the whole team into a bad position.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 27, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

RA Rx posted:

Can ranks charge an enemy off the map?
If no I'd take the shot.

Tanks can't charge and I can't charge unless I win initiative.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Are 0231 and 0232 hybrid open/building hexes or one or the other?

Edit: Not immediately, but it does take them further away from the north.
OTOH if those are building hexes the enemy mech closest to the left can just block their escape north anyway, making the grest shots on the Epona worth it.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 27, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
They're just building hexes.

Nothing's wrong with 1135, the hunchback can't be flanked or blocked in with the timber Wolf dead.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Xarbala posted:

I'm still laughing at my dire outlook on the situation the previous turn, and how Muk's jagermech basically just replied "nah fam i got this."

Yeah same lol. The top group could even problem hold up top and just kill poo poo now before moving south. With only the Thor as a dangerous brawl mech left, they can play los for a long time.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Mukaikubo posted:

Alright. South Group!

I think the plan I am most fond of is letting the Hunchback go beat the tar out of that Epona. A 1 skill gunner shooting at that hover at short range while being almost completely safe is hard to pass up. If this happens I would probably duck out of LoS for a turn and reposition myself to be in a far better position for next turn. I am not sanguine about any plan that has me engaging that Glass Spider with a +0 move mod with all the damage I have taken, even if we can engage it 3v1.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

KnoxZone posted:

. . . I am not sanguine . . .

Sanguine!!!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CourValant posted:

Sanguine!!!

Drink!

:guinness:

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Hanse Davion will trip over his own feet and fall on his sword. This is the Davion form of Seppuku and must be respected.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Jew it to it! posted:

Hanse Davion will trip over his own feet and fall on his sword. This is the Davion form of Seppuku and must be respected.

For Davions, seppuku is when your autocannon jams.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Fraction Jackson posted:

"And what about the passing play we've seen down south? You can't not call this JagerMech a gunslinger now, just havin' fun out there. You know, with some quarterbacks, it's easier to just let 'em go out there and run the kinds of plays that they like. We're really seeing today how much that can pay off."

Only way this analogy holds up is if he accidentally winds up headcapping the VIP on the last turn. Nah, not bitter.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Only way this analogy holds up is if he accidentally winds up headcapping the VIP on the last turn. Nah, not bitter.

I was not prepared for this response, but as a fan who didn't have a stake in that particular game, I still understand it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Fraction Jackson posted:

I was not prepared for this response, but as a fan who didn't have a stake in that particular game, I still understand it.

What game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Artificer posted:

What game?

I am about 99.9% certain, based on his avatar meaning that he is a Vikings fan and the fact that he was responding to a 'gunslinger' comment (a term football announcers such as John Madden used to associate with Brett Favre constantly), that he means https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcLUZDSzlTQ.

Thaddius, if I'm right, don't click that link.

• Locked thread