Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

No Wave posted:

Btw am I misunderstanding this or is poor flanking infantry an 18 str bronze?

It's not possible they'd just make a double-strength Temerian Infantryman, surely. Something is getting lost in translation.

Also why are they buffing Dijkstra? That card doesn't need any help at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No Wave posted:

Btw am I misunderstanding this or is poor flanking infantry an 18 str bronze?

perhaps POOR INFANTRY ON THE FLANK summons weak allies on each side

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Nilfgaard spies confirmed for comedy experimental faction.

Time to run a deck packed to the top with spy cards. Play the dude who buffs from spies in hand at the start, then imperia brigades like normal. Use those weird attacking spies for minimal effects. Then blow up all your spies with Menno like a sad half-assed Kambi (and probably still lose the round).

I must try it!

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Just hit 4k mmr with a tempo - bork & scortch nilfguard

No reason for this post I'm just happy.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Trip report: wow games get much harder post 4.1k. The reduced deck variety is sad but understandable, every game being on a knife edge is really fun.

I also realised I don't get mad at gwent or feel bad when I lose, which is the opposite of how HS got. I think the more contained rng and more actual decisions help immensely

What happens at the end of the season? Does everyone's Rank reset to 0?

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012
Still trying to hit 4k w/ my Armor NR - Closest I've gotten was earlier tonight at 60 mmr away.

Monsters are the problem but I don't know how to fix it with out gutting the Witchers-Combo, and that feels like it would make the deck worse every where else.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Gerald Igney

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Nezkar posted:

Still trying to hit 4k w/ my Armor NR - Closest I've gotten was earlier tonight at 60 mmr away.

Monsters are the problem but I don't know how to fix it with out gutting the Witchers-Combo, and that feels like it would make the deck worse every where else.

You have nothing to really interact with them and monsters do number of pure points on board better than anyone.

Tech in an epidemic (good for triss butt though antisynergy with scouts - or lacerate) see how it goes

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Nezkar posted:

I don't play NR but I would cut one of the leftmost bronze guy for a mardroeme or lacerate. Your core cards are not OP enough to not have any removal.

On another topic, can I just say how stupid cilantro harpy is even at 3 strength. It does everything earth elemental does but 100x better, since it has no clean answer, more carryover, is agile, trivially enables commanders horn and thunderbolt and immune boost and has consume AND deathrattle AND triss butt synergy. If earth elemental is balanced (and it is) then harpy is pretty clearly way too strong. Besides, it's moronic for one bronze to be the "basic autoinclude" for every single monsters archetype.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I'm sure they could improve it in a multitude of ways, perhaps only make it spawn baby harpies if the eggs get consumed or something... it seems like a pretty key card for any kind of consume combo, and it'd be a shame to lose it for that. At least I don't seem to be running into monsters every game :v:

On another note, do we know when the next lot of cards (assasin and poor infantry and such) are going to be live? I'm wondering if I should perhaps save my ore until then...

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Well I think Crones are bad, so you can probably guess how I feel about twisting yourself and your deck into a pretzel just so you can play faux-Crones twice.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I would welcome the return of 40 card NR decks

though TBH it should've been cards for ST to run in >25 card mulligan decks.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
The tokens for PFI are 1 drops

Witchers will remain as silvers with new art work, they're just adding the gold witcher(s) as well.

"Boost self by 2 whenever an ally with deathwish ability (including golds) is played.
Deploy: Boost self by 2 for every ally with deathwish ability (including golds) in the battlefield."

I take it that Celano Harpy is getting reworked :stare:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Monstera Brigade? Shame the only deathwishes right now are earth elementals, nekkers, and cows... not quite the power of emissary > emissary > emissary > ambassador!

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Captainicus posted:

Monstera Brigade? Shame the only deathwishes right now are earth elementals, nekkers, and cows... not quite the power of emissary > emissary > emissary > ambassador!

Dont forget the most important one, harpy eggs.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

King Pawn posted:

Well I think Crones are bad, so you can probably guess how I feel about twisting yourself and your deck into a pretzel just so you can play faux-Crones twice.

I think it's pretty funny how people use them not as a last minute swing card but like first thing sometimes. I feel like they're better used as your last card rather than your first.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

MarshyMcFly posted:

I think it's pretty funny how people use them not as a last minute swing card but like first thing sometimes. I feel like they're better used as your last card rather than your first.

Why gently caress up one mulligan phase when you can gently caress up three?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

MarshyMcFly posted:

Depends on your deck and opponent. 20 tempo and 2 card thinning round one turn one can be powerful.

Also if it's not your win condition (The current monster wild hunt/frost type deck) you're primary reason to include crones is to close out R1 and win R3 on your golds.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Estraysian posted:

Dont forget the most important one, harpy eggs.

I don't believe that they will let that card exist at the same time as the current harpy eggs but who knows! I'm ready to eat those words...

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Trip report: wow games get much harder post 4.1k. The reduced deck variety is sad but understandable, every game being on a knife edge is really fun.

I also realised I don't get mad at gwent or feel bad when I lose, which is the opposite of how HS got. I think the more contained rng and more actual decisions help immensely

What happens at the end of the season? Does everyone's Rank reset to 0?

4k is basically where the real ladder starts, below that you're getting more points per win than you are losing per loss, assuming a 1:1 win rate, although it slows down as you get higher. In theory, anyone can reach 4k mmr, its just easier (and a LOT faster) if you are good.

I have to assume there's going to be at least a partial reset when the next season starts, because of how much inflation is built into the system. It's actually noticable if you take a break from the game for a few days... by the time you come back, scores will have inflated a bit, and you'll be playing easier opponents than when you left (assuming you haven't gotten rusty yourself). You'll also be much lower on the leaderboard, despite having the same score.

This also means that MMR doesn't mean very much imo. Leaderboard position is a better measure of player skill in this system, but even then you need to play enough to keep up with inflation.

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012

King Pawn posted:

I don't like Crones, I agree trying to hold them till round 3 and goofing the muligans sucks. Witchers on the the other hand always come out in round one. If you want to choose the to play them again you need 2 more cards, either Marching Orders or Nenekke, and Shanni by round 3. That isn't much of a pretzel twist since I am pretty sure I'd be running both of those cards still.

I'm going to try adding in a lacerate or two in place of a potion and and Redanian Knight Elect tonight to see how it goes, or swapping Dandelion for Keira. After that I might just abandon the deck and cheese my way in with monsters.

Nezkar fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 27, 2017

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
how often are you even playing geralt: igni with him doing damage? get rid of that poo poo and put ciri in there so you have at least a slight, fleeting hope of achieving card advantage in some form.

e: don't play weather without an adept you maroon

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Normal Adult Human posted:

how often are you even playing geralt: igni with him doing damage? get rid of that poo poo and put ciri in there so you have at least a slight, fleeting hope of achieving card advantage in some form.

e: don't play weather without an adept you maroon

He's.. not playing weather? And Igni is great?

EvilMike posted:

4k is basically where the real ladder starts, below that you're getting more points per win than you are losing per loss, assuming a 1:1 win rate, although it slows down as you get higher. In theory, anyone can reach 4k mmr, its just easier (and a LOT faster) if you are good.

I have to assume there's going to be at least a partial reset when the next season starts, because of how much inflation is built into the system. It's actually noticable if you take a break from the game for a few days... by the time you come back, scores will have inflated a bit, and you'll be playing easier opponents than when you left (assuming you haven't gotten rusty yourself). You'll also be much lower on the leaderboard, despite having the same score.

This also means that MMR doesn't mean very much imo. Leaderboard position is a better measure of player skill in this system, but even then you need to play enough to keep up with inflation.

The rapid "inflation" when they introduced the system was an artifact of everyone settling into the new, higher equilibrium. The +win/-loss differential is pretty punishing towards the top, nobody's getting 5k any time soon.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

King Pawn posted:

He's.. not playing weather? And Igni is great?

The rapid "inflation" when they introduced the system was an artifact of everyone settling into the new, higher equilibrium. The +win/-loss differential is pretty punishing towards the top, nobody's getting 5k any time soon.

You're quite right about that, and I suspect they'll reset the ladder a ways before people start hitting 5k. There's still passive inflation though, since there are more points gained than lost on the lower end of the ladder. As more people reach the 4k level, the best players will climb a little higher. Just look at how many 4.5k+ people there are now compared to a week ago.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Man I love my succubus! I use her in a consume deck though but she has great versatility and her ability to swing games is insane!!!

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

EvilMike posted:

You're absolutely right, up to c. 4.2k/1600 position now and its a completely different game. Still doesn't feel like a grind though.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Are long queue times normal for this game these days? Taking 3+ minutes to find a match in casual...

...and of course when I do find it, it's a Dagon player :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

10 seconds usually?

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBScB0oKwkU

I love to succ!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I decided after about a month of toiling with spy and Dash Nilfgaard I'd try out Skellige Queensguard with some discard mixed in. My MMR bounced from 3400 to 3800 in one day. I've beaten 4 Dagon opponents despite not carrying a single weather clear in my deck. A reveal nilfgaard player Letho bombed nearly 30 points worth of Queensguards at the end of round 1 because I was way too greedy and I still somehow won the match despite my entire gameplan up to that point being elimated.

What the hell? I know people say Nilfgaard is a "challenging" faction to play, but I'm pretty sure it's just complete poo poo at the moment.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Subvisual Haze posted:

I decided after about a month of toiling with spy and Dash Nilfgaard I'd try out Skellige Queensguard with some discard mixed in. My MMR bounced from 3400 to 3800 in one day. I've beaten 4 Dagon opponents despite not carrying a single weather clear in my deck. A reveal nilfgaard player Letho bombed nearly 30 points worth of Queensguards at the end of round 1 because I was way too greedy and I still somehow won the match despite my entire gameplan up to that point being elimated.

What the hell? I know people say Nilfgaard is a "challenging" faction to play, but I'm pretty sure it's just complete poo poo at the moment.

My discard Skellige deck has taken me to just a shade under 4400 MMR with a 73% win pctg. I'm 5-0 vs Nilfgaard and that's in spite of them consistently getting me to run out of cards.

NG is just too weak.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
NG isn't THAT bad, although I'd agree it's the weakest faction right now.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Also that neutral mage beast trainer is going to get a ton of use. You could play 4 bears as an rear end in a top hat Skellige deck or just use it to steal from graveyards.

Since I don't have the cards for a discard deck, this'll definitely be me.

The best part about bears is that they can screw with Nilfgaard in fun ways. Oh, you were expecting to kill your 2-point spy and boost your dudes? Too bad he's a BEAR now.

Oh what, a rat trap? For me? Well now it's a bear trap.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
i want to do some monster-rear end monsters deck, like make Priscilla for Monsters but it only hits beasts/draconids/relicts

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hi, I just started this, getting through the challenges, opened a keg and it's asking me to choose between three cards:
- Kayran
- Wild Boar of the Sea
- Leo Bonhart

Which should I keep? I will be f2p for the foreseeable future (unless I get super addicted and wanna catch up quick :laugh:) so I'll probably be going for budget decks and looking through the gwentify budget decks gave me a headache mostly because as a new player, I have no idea which ones to aim for yet and can't remember all my cards.

I'm leaning towards Leo just because it seems the most obviously useful with immediate board impact.

EDIT: I found a tier list from May that says Leo is the way to go? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Br0R-JqKmUUIb62Bg2HlLfil2AZFLGG_JZ-ngrbJV8c/edit#gid=2073408469

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Artelier posted:

Hi, I just started this, getting through the challenges, opened a keg and it's asking me to choose between three cards:
- Kayran
- Wild Boar of the Sea
- Leo Bonhart

Which should I keep? I will be f2p for the foreseeable future (unless I get super addicted and wanna catch up quick :laugh:) so I'll probably be going for budget decks and looking through the gwentify budget decks gave me a headache mostly because as a new player, I have no idea which ones to aim for yet and can't remember all my cards.

I'm leaning towards Leo just because it seems the most obviously useful with immediate board impact.

EDIT: I found a tier list from May that says Leo is the way to go? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Br0R-JqKmUUIb62Bg2HlLfil2AZFLGG_JZ-ngrbJV8c/edit#gid=2073408469

Leo is a much more widely used card.

Kayran and Boar see use but its much more niche.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks a lot! Normally I would just feel my way through and not ask so quickly but being lucky instantly pressured me a bit.

Gonna go through the challenges which, if I'm reading them right, gives me rewards and leader cards? Then jump into MP.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Artelier posted:

Thanks a lot! Normally I would just feel my way through and not ask so quickly but being lucky instantly pressured me a bit.

Gonna go through the challenges which, if I'm reading them right, gives me rewards and leader cards? Then jump into MP.

yep, unlock all the leaders first and get familiar with some of the cards, then hit casual multiplayer. have fun! :)

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Bran is so much better than the other SK leaders it's not even funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
crach is terrific when skellige has a single non poo poo silver to base their entire faction around