Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

grittyreboot posted:

The host of I Dont Even Own A Television had something to say about this passage: It's an interesting thread if any of you guys are in the Party Pit on Facebook.

Sometimes I think people dig a little too hard to make the author into a shithead. Keep in mind, they read it and I didn't.

That's a bad and dumb copout unless it's later revealed that Satan has no idea about anatomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

That's a bad and dumb copout unless it's later revealed that Satan has no idea about anatomy.

He was probably deeply confused when Eve ate the apple with her mouth.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Darth Walrus posted:

He was probably deeply confused when Eve ate the apple with her mouth.

With her anus around her neck, Eve just had to make do in a pinch.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Anything depicted in a novel is the author's true and fervent belief, don't buy all this "characterization" bullshit J peddles.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
J.W. Friedman is no stranger to getting morally enraged by bad books so I'll take his word on this one.

John Updike still sucks tho.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What is ready player one and why did it get a movie trailer which made me embarrassed not only for myself but everyone involved.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
I have not read it but my understanding is that it is the 80s.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It is the hip things for people on the internet to get incredulous over.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
You know those addiction experiments where they hook rats up to opiate IVs and give them a lever to press for a dose? The rats end up forgoing food and water and just pressing the lever over and over until they die.

Ready Player One is that, but for Gen Xers with 80s nostalgia.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Arcsquad12 posted:

What is ready player one and why did it get a movie trailer which made me embarrassed not only for myself but everyone involved.

It's nostalgia in pure book form.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But nostalgia can be a positive as well as a negative. The movie just looks bad and the book sounds less like nostalgia and more like reference material

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That's what I mean, it's pure unfiltered nostalgia,

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

But nostalgia can be a positive as well as a negative. The movie just looks bad and the book sounds less like nostalgia and more like reference material

Reference material implies you could use it to find useful information...

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

that's why people don't like Ready Player One

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/gabbomatic/status/889458599885406208

https://twitter.com/gabbomatic/status/889458672870588416

https://twitter.com/gabbomatic/status/889463119432601601

https://twitter.com/gabbomatic/status/889464308018675712

https://twitter.com/gabbomatic/status/889471367955001344

https://twitter.com/gabbomatic/status/889471862421561344

https://twitter.com/gabbomatic/status/889505360872169474

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It is the hip things for people on the internet to get incredulous over.

I think I can see why this is hip right now

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

wil wheaton's second career as internet nerd poo poo-consumption cheerleader is as damning an indictment of late-stage capitalism as anything you'd hope to see on wall street

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

wil wheaton's second career as internet nerd poo poo-consumption cheerleader is as damning an indictment of late-stage capitalism as anything you'd hope to see on wall street

Eh, I like his table top gaming show he does online with all his C (and borderline B)-list celeb friends.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

theflyingexecutive posted:

EVERY MORNING I OPEN PALM SLAM ANOTHER CHAPTER OF MY BOOK INTO MY WORD PROCESSOR. ITS READY PLAYER ONE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START COPYING ARTICLES FROM MY FAVORITE WEBSITE, WIKIA. I TURN EVERY BULLET POINT INTO A SENTENCE AND I DO IT HARD. MAKING WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN THIRTY COMMAS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP A COPY PASTE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEYVE BROUGHT IN EVERY CHARACTER FROM EVERY KNOWN GAME CARTOON COMIC MOVIE TV SHOW AND BOOK REALITY FOR A HUGE PARTY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY WRITING CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE THAT PEOPLE IN WRITING CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL MY NERD REFERENCES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY WRITING A BOOK ABOUT WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE IF MY PARENTS WERE PROUD OF ME. 2 CHAPTERS INCLUDING WINDDOWN EVER MORNing. THEN I BATE.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
God the fact that he loving mentions Devo is killing me, like motherfucker, you are Booji boy. He doesnt know poo poo about Devo

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Arcsquad12 posted:

What is ready player one

A weapons-grade emetic.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I thought it was kind of weird he turned his nose up at Kingdom of the Crystal Skull but was fine with the prequels and Matrix sequels

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's nostalgia in pure book form.
I don't know that it's even really nostalgia. It's just pages and pages of mentioning things from pop culture, regardless of whether he could possibly have grown up with them or not. It's like he's doing the whole thing for whatever the opposite of street cred is, like the sheer volume of media he makes reference to is supposed to be impressive, even though all it tells anyone is that he has access to Google and Wikipedia. What's really bizarre is his sense of priority; he'll excruciatingly overexplain the premise of Blade Runner and then in one sentence inform you that in the '70s there was a Japanese Spider-Man TV show with giant robots. The reader has probably seen one of these things already, and it's not Japanese Spider-Man.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Jul 28, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I don't know that it's even really nostalgia. It's just pages and pages of mentioning things from pop culture, regardless of whether he could possibly have grown up with them or not. It's like he's doing the whole thing for whatever the opposite of street cred is, like the sheer volume of media he makes reference to is supposed to be impressive, even though all it tells anyone is that he has access to Google and Wikipedia. What's really bizarre is his sense of priority; he'll excruciatingly overexplain the premise of Blade Runner and then in one sentence inform you that in the '70s there was a Japanese Spider-Man TV show with giant robots. The reader has probably seen one of these things already, and it's not Japanese Spider-Man.

That's what nerd street-cred is, though, just being able to show the volume of information you've absorbed about a certain topic/topics. If you know the most then you're the best and everyone will defer to your intellectual superiority. Ask any woman who has every been challenged on her nerd status; have you read every single issue of X-men and earned the right to say you're a fan, or did you just watch the movies?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I normally like stories that use allusions and references in an amusing way - I enjoy stuff like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or Anno Dracula - but the excerpts of Ready Player One I've seen just seem like they have lists of stuff. Alan Moore and Kim Newman wrote stories that had references in them; they didn't just list the characters from a bunch of books or films or comics they liked and leave it at that. They don't come off as "Look how many movies I've watched".

Granted, I haven't read it, but from the descriptions and excerpts I have seen, it comes off like the novelisation of TV Tropes.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Jul 28, 2017

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I wish I could comfort myself by rationalizing this as a commentary about the dangers of building the entirety of your identity around the fact that you consume media and put nothing of value back into the world.

It's so pitiable.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Every time I see excerpts or read descriptions of RPO I desperately tell myself that the satire goes so deep that the author made the story sound sincere just to prove that people will eat up something just because it references things they like. It's not true, but my brain can't accept it otherwise.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

It may be the 'hip' thing to hate but it is also really really bad.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
My favourite part is how, despite jerking himself off furiously over his pop-culture credentials, he obviously knows fuckall about music.

Oh wow, the Clash and the Police? Deep pull man. 'I know everything about anime. Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Spirited Away -- you name it!'

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

My favourite part is how, despite jerking himself off furiously over his pop-culture credentials, he obviously knows fuckall about music.

Oh wow, the Clash and the Police? Deep pull man. 'I know everything about anime. Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Spirited Away -- you name it!'

He doesn't seem to have like actual tastes or if he does he can't really articulate them. Everything is just a collection of empty signifiers of 80s kid nerdery.

See the scene where the two characters argue about the movie Ladyhawke, and the protagonist can't actually come up with a defense of it that doesn't boil down to naming its connections to other 80s beloved properties https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71VFzClEoG0

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I don't know that it's even really nostalgia.

It's not, what Cline does is called pandering.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Wheat Loaf posted:

Granted, I haven't read it, but from the descriptions and excerpts I have seen, it comes off like the novelisation of TV Tropes.
That is exactly what it is.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I actually read RPO cover to cover because it was gifted to me, and I basically can't remember a single drat thing that happened in there. Not having grown up in the US just about 80% of the references were pretty much white noise to me, and the actual plot was so drat barebones it might as well not have been there. I can't even recall how it ended. Pretty much the only thing I do recall is that at one point the protagonist starts to get fat from playing videogames all day and having his food delivered, and his solution to that was buying some sort of integrated treadmill thing so that he could work out while still playing. Also he shaved off all his hair so he wouldn't have to deal with hygiene. This was supposed to show some sort of admirable devotion, rather than the mother of all red flags.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 11:38 on Jul 29, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Perestroika posted:

I actually read RPO cover to cover because it was gifted to me, and I basically can't remember a single drat thing that happened in there. Not having grown up in the US just about 80% of the references were pretty much white noise to me, and the actual plot was so drat barebones it might as well not have been there. I can't even recall how it ended. Pretty much the only thing I do recall is that at one point the protagonists starts to get fat from playing videogames all day and having his food delivered, and his solution to that was buying some sort of integrated treadmill thing so that he could work out while still playing. Also he shaved off all his hair so he wouldn't have to deal with hygiene. This was supposed to show some sort of admirable devotion, rather than the mother of all red flags.

I don't remember if it's stated or not, and I won't go back to look, but I think that rig (which was totally a fitness gym too) had built in plumbing or some poo poo like that to allow him to be immersed for hours at a time. So you can probably add poopsocking to your red flag alert.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I read RPO because I guy I know who otherwise has shown really good taste in regards to books and movies swore that I needed to read it.

Dude went from a credibility 8 or so to a 3 in the week it took me to read the book.

I'm sorry, Scott. You'll work your way back up.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This. He is peddling 'nostalgia', (read name dropping culture that his audience consumed when they were young), but ignoring a whole bunch of important poo poo around that era, and in those genres.

It is nerd pandering to the highest degree. And it assumes a fucktonne. It assumes that everybody consumed/consumes the same cultural poo poo, and everybody is obsessd with the same episode of Family Ties, and as such will roll around on the floor whenever the name Alex P Keaton is spoken.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That's a really white list...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alhazred posted:

That's a really white list...

Really American, too. Though that probably goes without saying.

Cracked was wrong, Ready Player One is the Twilight for white male middle aged fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So basically this but for the 1980's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pa6SGYWADU