Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

u think that's irony ur breathing

*inhales deeply*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

zegermans posted:

what kind of libertarian would support a public works job

that makes no sense

my autocorrect has become sapient and has begun removing negatives

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I lust for twitter death

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The weirdest presidential buzz I've seen hints of is still Ted "President Pence and Bomb Iran" Lieu and I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up at some point more seriously.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

If the healthcare bill "passed", it never would have gone through cloture. So what's the point of bring relieved?

Was Trump going to end cloture completely?

</sangin'>

It was in very real danger of passing, in spite of pretty much no one aside from Trump and McConnell wanting it to (to the point where senators were flat-out saying I WILL VOTE FOR THIS BUT IT HAD drat WELL BETTER NOT BECOME LAW). It was technically (maybe, who the gently caress even knows any more) within the confines of reconciliation, meaning it couldn't have been filibustered and would have passed with a simple majority. The vote was to send it back to the House where, normally, a process of negotiating a revised bill in conference would have begun. But there was nothing stopping the House from just passing it as-is, and there was a lot of pressure on everyone involved to do exactly that.

It was basically a massive game of political chicken, since no one wanted to actually be on the hook for killing it, even though everyone wanted it to die. Except that both cars were driving straight at the American people rather than each other.

And McCain, Murkowski, and Collins (I think) voted no, McCain being the really unexpected one. Every Democrat voted against it but as per usual it's not like they were in any position to stop it from happening. Once again we were saved in spite of ourselves, rather than because of ourselves. Ad I'm sure we'll learn all the wrong lessons and I'm sure someone somewhere will find something to blame Bernie for.

Still, it was was some primo drama, and worth staying up far too late to watch Mitch McConnell's hopes and dreams of murdering millions of people shattered into a million little pieces (for now).

<sangin'>

Biddie bye bye, biddie bye bye, biddy bye bye, what?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Agean90 posted:

my autocorrect has become sapient and has begun removing negatives

sorry about ur monkey computer

i never use autocorrect

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Scent of Worf posted:

Wow

Jen Kirkman keeps making tweets and then mass deleting them like 5 minutes later lmao
She's singlehandly subsidizing Iowa with how hard and repeatedly she cobbs

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

i mean if they'll support it while we line up the headshot, i'll take it

we're gonna need to eat them at some point anyways so that we can keep them from automating our jobs away

gently caress jobs. automate the hell out of everything.

obviously with a gmi and uhc. work should be optional for most people.

Serf
May 5, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

gently caress jobs. automate the hell out of everything.

obviously with a gmi and uhc. work should be optional for most people.

i mean i agree but one sweeping change at a time

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ThndrShk2k posted:

She's singlehandly subsidizing Iowa with how hard and repeatedly she cobbs

what's funny about it is this isn't the first time she's done this. the last time it happened it ended with a tweet stating that her twitter account had been taken over by her assistant and that Kirkman would no longer be personally running the account.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uber_stoat posted:

what's funny about it is this isn't the first time she's done this. the last time it happened it ended with a tweet stating that her twitter account had been taken over by her assistant and that Kirkman would no longer be personally running the account.

"no one in show biz is mad at me"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

docbeard posted:

</sangin'>

It was in very real danger of passing, in spite of pretty much no one aside from Trump and McConnell wanting it to (to the point where senators were flat-out saying I WILL VOTE FOR THIS BUT IT HAD drat WELL BETTER NOT BECOME LAW). It was technically (maybe, who the gently caress even knows any more) within the confines of reconciliation, meaning it couldn't have been filibustered and would have passed with a simple majority. The vote was to send it back to the House where, normally, a process of negotiating a revised bill in conference would have begun. But there was nothing stopping the House from just passing it as-is, and there was a lot of pressure on everyone involved to do exactly that.

It was basically a massive game of political chicken, since no one wanted to actually be on the hook for killing it, even though everyone wanted it to die. Except that both cars were driving straight at the American people rather than each other.

And McCain, Murkowski, and Collins (I think) voted no, McCain being the really unexpected one. Every Democrat voted against it but as per usual it's not like they were in any position to stop it from happening. Once again we were saved in spite of ourselves, rather than because of ourselves. Ad I'm sure we'll learn all the wrong lessons and I'm sure someone somewhere will find something to blame Bernie for.

Still, it was was some primo drama, and worth staying up far too late to watch Mitch McConnell's hopes and dreams of murdering millions of people shattered into a million little pieces (for now).

<sangin'>

Biddie bye bye, biddie bye bye, biddy bye bye, what?

I see. But why doesn't cloture matter for this due do technicalities? Why didn't Dems use the same technicalities back in 2009?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

extremely psyched to see prominent democrats go "yeah? well i went to stanford. what do you know, public school professor?"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

loquacius posted:

Speaking as a Masshole: Seth Moulton defeated a longstanding Dem incumbent in a primary by running on how young and fresh he was, and that's basically all there is to be said about him. No idea what his stances are on any economic issues. He did get a Warren endorsement, but that was in the general against a Republican so whoopdy doo.

It could be argued that that's actually a really strong position because he's a blank slate and can just decide what all his policy stances will be from here on out however he wants, without looking like a hypocrite. But this Politico article is the first time I've ever heard his name mentioned in this context anyway so it doesn't matter.

speaking as someone who lives in his district: he's the walking incarnation of a "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" ~bipartisan~ third way shithead

he's a New Democrat who's taken piles of money from Wall Street, the military loving loves him and generals actively endorse him, the media loves him and has been fellating him as the perfect Harvard-educated warrior-king for the last decade or more, and he has a reputation for being bipartisan and friendly to his GOP opponents. for the past few months he's quietly been pushing to increase his influence while pretending not to be, working to convince the party that it needs a fresh young new centrist face (like himself) to reinvigorate it

I hate him

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

extremely psyched to see prominent democrats go "yeah? well i went to stanford. what do you know, public school professor?"

I went to Cornell, ever heard of it?!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

tired: john delaney for president

wired: rob delaney for president

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

galaxy brain: Kim delaney for presidnet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
universe brain: kim deal for president

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

multiverse brain: kim dotcom for president

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

speaking as someone who lives in his district: he's the walking incarnation of a "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" ~bipartisan~ third way shithead

WELP :tipshat:

man, we were so focused on the famous shitheads we weren't prepared for a flood of no-name shitheads

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
seth moulton really badly wants to be the next speaker of the house

you know he's bad b/c he was endorsed by democrats for ed reform

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Shear Modulus posted:

is this like a disease stanford goers have? merissa meyer also went to stanford, and also a butt ton of awful tech bros

does going to stanford just warp everyone into awful people? or does stanford just attract awful people?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

post big crunch cycle with galactus standing alone brain: Kim possible for president

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Condiv posted:

is this like a disease stanford goers have? merissa meyer also went to stanford, and also a butt ton of awful tech bros

does going to stanford just warp everyone into awful people? or does stanford just attract awful people?

If it's anything like Harvard, yes and yes

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i'm really pumped for every no-name really awful dem in the primary to help drown out the chelseas and the harrises. gonna be hard to pick chelsea out with all the centrists squawking the exact same idiotic tonedeaf things

meanwhile bernie will ascend angelically to the presidency with vice president keith at his side

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm excited for whoever has the funniest name

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Serf posted:

unironically bring back the ccc and the wpa

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I'm excited for whoever has the funniest name

:same:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
a veteran DLC style democrat from Massachusetts with combat experience in a lovely war the US lost? Sounds like an ideal candidate to me.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tired: John Delaney 2020

wired: BERNIE!!!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

a veteran DLC style democrat from Massachusetts with combat experience in a lovely war the US lost? Sounds like an ideal candidate to me.

according to Politico, he's the next JFK!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Main Paineframe posted:

according to Politico, he's the next JFK!

They're right!

john f kerry

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Main Paineframe posted:

he's a New Democrat who's taken piles of money from Wall Street, the military loving loves him and generals actively endorse him, the media loves him and has been fellating him as the perfect Harvard-educated warrior-king for the last decade or more, and he has a reputation for being bipartisan and friendly to his GOP opponents. for the past few months he's quietly been pushing to increase his influence while pretending not to be, working to convince the party that it needs a fresh young new centrist face (like himself) to reinvigorate it

I hate him

disgusting

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oddly enough, Democrat DLC is also just horse armor

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
SHoutout to all the gamers and 90s kids out there

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Main Paineframe posted:

I hate him

What a fitting competitor for the other 2020 Dem Primary candidates: Zuck, Mark Cuban, Andrew Cuomo, Booker, and Chelsea Clinton

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Oddly enough, Democrat DLC is also just overpriced horse armor

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

What a fitting competitor for the other 2020 Dem Primary candidates: Zuck, Mark Cuban, Andrew Cuomo, Booker, and Chelsea Clinton

don't forget the newest competitor, Delaney

his platform? bipartisanship, STEM education, and "a future where responsible businesses work with our government to lead the world not only in growth and innovation but also in positive societal change"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
delamey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
thank's folks

• Locked thread