Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Truga posted:

Probably none. Conquering other races will make you eat them regardless, unless you have unlocked genemodding so you can absorb them.

You'll be at -1000 very quickly that way.

He is not a devouring swarm he said. He can set things to displacement purging instead of eating people, which still pisses people off a bit but it won't be as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Splicer posted:

Does it strip out lower tiers as you go up in tech level? Say yes.

Nope, but you can select any component you want.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Splicer posted:

Stellaris ship design isn't more complex than SotS, but the complexity is all the wrong types. In SotS researching a new weapon or ship type opens up a sea if new possibilities, in Stellaris it's either an incremental upgrade to an existing weapon or a reshuffling of +vs shields and +vs armour. It's telling that the Hot Strategies that are so good they need to be nerfed work because of economic and targeting quirks, as otherwise ship design is 90% stacking the right modifiers vs your enemy modifiers.

Yeah, that's fair enough. Thinking about it, SotS is actually unbalanced as hell. I just have a soft spot since there's a 6 shot revolver dreadnought that fires meteorites at planets.

Basically I'm trying to say the game would have been much better without a ship designer, with techs unlocking new units, like in the Civ games. MAYBE include a small tweaking system to placate nerds that refuse to buy a space 4x without a builder.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
SotS is unbalanced as hell, but all factions are unbalanced in some way making it somehow work out.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Ephemeron posted:

Would it make sense to make them vassals, tributaries or conquer and displace them? Or should I just concentrate on expansion and ignore warfare altogether until I can get a third civic, turn into a swarm and eat the world?

If you took any adaptability traits you'll be able to expand super easily since you don't need to care about anything besides 40% habitability. If you go on a conquering spree check to make sure any planets you ask them to cede have at least that for your species or when the conquered pops get displaced you'll lose the colony. Vassalize if you don't have a bunch of influence ready to burn relocating at least 1 pop per ceded planet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bug Squash posted:

Yeah, that's fair enough. Thinking about it, SotS is actually unbalanced as hell. I just have a soft spot since there's a 6 shot revolver dreadnought that fires meteorites at planets.

Basically I'm trying to say the game would have been much better without a ship designer, with techs unlocking new units, like in the Civ games. MAYBE include a small tweaking system to placate nerds that refuse to buy a space 4x without a builder.
SotS1 was awesome and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

I am one of those ship designer requiring nerds. I just want the majority of ship design to be distinct, meaningful choices instead of largely meaningless busywork. Replacing the front of the ship with a single giant cannon and/or the middle with hangar bays full of baby space amoebas? These are fun decisions and make fights look and feel cool and different. Replacing gun II with identical gun III for an additional 10% damage and then hitting "autobuild" to rearrange my power load, then manually swapping them all out because the enemy has gone heavy on shields so I need to use basically identical gun except it does +10% shield damage? Not so much.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

Yeah, that's fair enough. Thinking about it, SotS is actually unbalanced as hell.

The ideal strategy in basically all multiplayer games of SotS was to put UV lasers and/or light emitters in every slot for the first 80 turns. There were about a billion options but it also had it's ideal optimal strategies and those who deviated from them would be brutally owned very quickly.

The main part of Stellaris combat that isn't very fun is that wars are a very one sided affair and usually involve one or two catastrophic battles where the superior side wipes out the lesser side completely. It needs depth to defense and a way for a defeated side to not be obliterated when it's defeated (like let those "destroyed" ships actually be severely damaged/disabled things that can retreat with the fleet sometimes) and something that accomplishes the same goal as combat width so an inferior force can at least hurt a vastly larger opponent.

The tactical layer doesn't have to be that deep, as long as the myriad of choices are viable in some way. The problem is the strategic layer, which is what a map game is all about anyways. We need more interesting strategic decisions beyond "throw my stack of poo poo into their stack of poo poo" and fleshed out diplo. They are working on it though so it'll maybe happen eventually?

edit; i even have an old screenshot!

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 28, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

So I got the stellar horrors mod and raised a civilization to the space age with my gribbly tentacled hivemind. I had them as vassals and that was okay. I hadn't realized if you add them to your empire they get eaten, but that absolutely happened and I felt kind of bad for a minute.

zyang31
Oct 26, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

So I got the stellar horrors mod and raised a civilization to the space age with my gribbly tentacled hivemind. I had them as vassals and that was okay. I hadn't realized if you add them to your empire they get eaten, but that absolutely happened and I felt kind of bad for a minute.

It's a cook book!!!

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

imweasel09 posted:

If you took any adaptability traits you'll be able to expand super easily since you don't need to care about anything besides 40% habitability. If you go on a conquering spree check to make sure any planets you ask them to cede have at least that for your species or when the conquered pops get displaced eaten you'll lose the colony. Vassalize if you don't have a bunch of influence ready to burn relocating at least 1 pop per ceded planet.

Wish I'd known this before I started that Devouring Swarm game. I was wondering why all those planets were suddenly outside my control/borders.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Just checked Steam Workshop, Stellaris Mods forums, and a google search. No dice. What mod is this?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I don't know about the mod but you can do all that in vanilla with Utopia.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Aethernet posted:

SotS is unbalanced as hell, but all factions are unbalanced in some way making it somehow work out.

What makes SotS work is that combat is the focus of the game. You have control in the fights. That's why the ship designer is as deep as it is in SotS. Stellaris has about 70% of the complexity of that ship designer, but with zero control over fights (and almost no interesting combat techs).

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

DatonKallandor posted:

What makes SotS work is that combat is the focus of the game. You have control in the fights. That's why the ship designer is as deep as it is in SotS. Stellaris has about 70% of the complexity of that ship designer, but with zero control over fights (and almost no interesting combat techs).
I really regret that they never spun the SotS2 ship designer/combat layer out into a game of its own. It looked interesting and the art was amazing.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Aethernet posted:

This is only true if you ban all players from picking Zuul.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Talkie Toaster posted:

I really regret that they never spun the SotS2 ship designer/combat layer out into a game of its own. It looked interesting and the art was amazing.

What's everyones favorite 4x ship designer? I haven't toyed around with many outside of this game and MoO2.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

What's everyones favorite 4x ship designer? I haven't toyed around with many outside of this game and MoO2.

:goonsay:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Talkie Toaster posted:

I'm not sure I get the appeal, I've always found the SoTS games to have an unbelievably terrible art direction. That game takes the worst aspects of Babylon 5 and takes them to the extreme.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

I'm not sure I get the appeal, I've always found the SoTS games to have an unbelievably terrible art direction. That game takes the worst aspects of Babylon 5 and takes them to the extreme.

SotS 1 has lovely deviant art and voice acting to match but SotS 2, despite being an absolute garbage fire of a game has loving amazingly beautiful tactical combat

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

SirPhoebos posted:

the mil tech system from eu4

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nuclearmonkee posted:

SotS 1 has lovely deviant art and voice acting to match but SotS 2, despite being an absolute garbage fire of a game has loving amazingly beautiful tactical combat

All of the SoTS 2 screenshots and gameplay that I can find look like digital vomit.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

turn off the TV posted:

All of the SoTS 2 screenshots and gameplay that I can find look like digital vomit.

That might have something to do with SotS2 being digital vomit.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

I'm sure you can find a youtube video or something if you care to.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I'm sure you can find a youtube video or something if you care to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1uko9zPhs4

I mean just compare that to Homeworld 2 or Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, which both released before 2005.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

turn off the TV posted:

SotS 2 launched with a vast array of visual bugs, which were (mostly - LoDing is still off in some cases) fixed by the end. It also doesn't screenshot (cause it really doesn't look great when not in motion) or low-quality video very well (because it's got a shitton of fine detail and movement that gets butchered by encoding).

It's an incredibly pretty game, with gorgeous art design and models. Several of the Stellaris ship sets are basically SotS 2 rips with the edges filed off. And while SotS 1 had...unique 2D art, it's ship models were great. The Morrigi ship set (of SotS 1) has never been matched in any game I know of.

And yeah it's a real shame the combat and design layer never got spun off into it's own thing. It wasn't the only thing about SotS 2 that worked - there was a week or two before the release of the free expansion that was almost great - it was probably the one that worked best.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 28, 2017

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I still cant get over how they got the game into a workable state.

... Only to release a free expansion that shattered it in half.

:cripes:

Cool robot faction 'tho.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Thyrork posted:

I still cant get over how they got the game into a workable state.

... Only to release a free expansion that shattered it in half.

:cripes:

Cool robot faction 'tho.

Yeah, the real tragedy of SotS2 is that the Loa would have been real fuckin cool to play in any other game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah, the real tragedy of SotS2 is that the Loa would have been real fuckin cool to play in any other game.

They're called the Riftborn in Endless Space 2.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

They're called the Riftborn in Endless Space 2.

Yeah but see the Loa are cool vodoo robots and not autistic fractals from beyond time.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Psycho Landlord posted:

autistic fractals from beyond time.

please don't dox me

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

What is this and where do I get it.

No seriously, this looks like my kind of poo poo.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Rorac posted:

"Enjoy"

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Rorac posted:

A radical goon game.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
LEX mod rules, but it might be hilariously overpowered. It's neat to find a massive Gaia world that isn't beholden to some Stagnant Slum lord. Why yes, I will take a buffed up new capitol world.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

LEX mod rules, but it might be hilariously overpowered. It's neat to find a massive Gaia world that isn't beholden to some Stagnant Slum lord. Why yes, I will take a buffed up new capitol world.

Depending on which LEX event chain that planet is part of I would not necessarily get too attached to it. But good luck!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
How did I get this faction with a leader that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near me?

This dude is cramping my style:

But those furry shitheads doesn't exist in my empire. Despite being in a fairly large federation, I flat out refuse to let anyone else migrate.

The only exception has been curator researchers, who are looking suspiciously like the culprits right now.

Is this a real thing or a bug?
loving curators. They should spend less time politicking and more time doing science things since that's what I pay them for!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Plot twist: This guy actually rules my empire and nobody wants to oppose him. :psyduck:

He was definitely originated as a hired scientist from the curators:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xik posted:

Plot twist: This guy actually rules my empire and nobody wants to oppose him. :psyduck:

The materialist civilisation elected the genius super-scientist as president you say? How strange...

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Xik posted:

Is this a real thing or a bug?

Real thing, not a bug. The pool for faction leaders and civ leaders are scientists, admirals, generals, and governors. These are mostly generated based on the % population of pops in your empire, but they can come from events as well. This used to be how you'd end up with Praethoryn presidents, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Xik posted:

I had something similar happen. I had taken a scientist from a primitive world and a decade later my xenophobic empire elected him as leader. Some drat dirty plant from some backwards planet was ruling my empire. :argh:

Worst part about it was I was just about to change my authority to imperial but ended up having to wait 40 years for the plant to die first or else his heir would just be another plant.

• Locked thread