Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Mius Front UI is the perfect UI and its all your fault for not grasping an easy to use an genius design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Mius Front UI is the perfect UI and its all your fault for not grasping an easy to use an genius design

baloogan parachute account located

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Why just today I was reading...

Having improved campaign ergonomy, if Graviteam could now just admit defeat with their quirky, homespun GUIs, and introduce an order issuing system akin to the one used so successfully in the Close Combats and the Combat Missions, they might finally start seeing the popularity that their deep realism, brilliant ballistics, and longstanding commitment to dynamic campaigns, has always deserved.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Phi230 posted:

It's not the UI that get's me with WW2:E but the weird way you interact with it. At least with Graviteam a right-click does what you expect it to. Or a menu behaves like you think it should. With this game it's just weird, like every bit of process and flow we've become used to in nearly every game is tossed out. So far it looks interesting, but man, the flow of how you interact with nearly everything is just funky.

I'm not even sure what that's called, it's not the UI that's flawed, it's something even deeper than that.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I can't decide if the 'automatically move the mouse cursor to the next button you need to press' feature is mad or brilliant.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

I can't decide if the 'automatically move the mouse cursor to the next button you need to press' feature is mad or brilliant.

Woah. Why isn't that on by default.

So far it's a neat game, I've got to spend more time on it. I really miss the detailed reports on what actually happened. Everything feels wonky, but it's growing on me.

Cuz Stalin isn't going to save the day.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's unironically a grog pipe dream I have:

There's this scenario in Railroad Tycoon 2 where you're put in charge of the Russian rail system in 1941 - the map spans from Minsk to Tambov, and you have to deliver troops to cities to prevent them from "falling" into German hands. The challenge is managing which stations get which troops, considering your limited number of trains, the limited production rates of the troops, and random events destroying bits of track, affecting how long it takes to get to any given station.

I've always wondered what a game would be like to expand and play with that concept of being in charge of logistics, but the actual warfighting is left up to a faceless AI.

Make this game, see how within a week someone mods it into a Final Solution simulator.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Better make sure the repair tech in your sub has a high enough skill or else the ice cream machine will break down and affect crew morale.

So explain this poo poo to me. I read Iron Coffins, and the guy describes how they would sail for a few weeks at a time and the bread they took went mouldy after about a week so they were eating mouldy bread for weeks. Now the US had loving ICE CREAM MACHINES on their subs. How do you go to war against a country with loving ICE CREAM MACHINES on their subs when you're eating mouldy bread? I mean what the gently caress's wrong with you in the decision making part of your brain?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The ice cream machine thing isn't really a show of largesse or extravagance - it was more about giving sailors a source of milk that wouldn't immediately go bad.

Same thing with the showers as being more for the cooks so that they'd be hygienic while preparing food.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
So going back to the leftism/wargaming discussion, has anything been written about fulda gap? Your usual scenario in the 80s was for nato to be defensive with ussr hordes coming through but we have known now for a while this was never possible for the soviets. My knowledge of this stuff begins and ends with the novels Team Yankee and Red storm rising so I'm curious if there has been a reevaluation of NATOs position in the 70s/80s. Were they actually there for defense or was it a forward force ready to be tooled up to an offensive role? I never really got the impression that NATO was going for a defense in depth strategy which always seemed odd considering that would be more effective. "Waiting to bring over divisions from the US" seems more like a pretext to a US offensive than the other way around. But I really don't know much about this stuff.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Absolutely not there for an offensive. They didn't have the numbers, and knew it.

Smart money would have had the Soviets hitting Northern Europe preferably. Fulda Gap, as you noted, was much more defensible. I'll try and find some of the articles I read that suggested a Northern push instead.

Fulda was doable, just why attack the known point you're expected to attack? That seems uncharacteristic of the Soviets operational art.

Friend of mine suggests the Dutch Corps area in particular would be a likely avenue of attack.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 29, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

dtkozl posted:

So going back to the leftism/wargaming discussion, has anything been written about fulda gap? Your usual scenario in the 80s was for nato to be defensive with ussr hordes coming through but we have known now for a while this was never possible for the soviets.

Do you have an overview link handy why it wouldn't have been possible? I did not know this.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

aphid_licker posted:

Do you have an overview link handy why it wouldn't have been possible? I did not know this.

Yeah I'm having a hard time finding real numbers which is why I asked, but there is a lot of stuff like this:

https://www.csmonitor.com/1995/1024/24191.html

about soviet military strength being far less than claimed, which, if true, would mean something like a soviet invasion across germany would be impossible. It just makes me wonder that if the US military knew this perhaps they built more towards a first strike policy in regards to europe rather than the defensive war they always claimed. Considering how many wars we started and the rather bellicose opinions a lot of the top brass had in the past century it isn't a stretch in my opinion.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Dandywalken posted:

Absolutely not there for an offensive. They didn't have the numbers, and knew it.

Well cooler heads knew it to be certain, but I think it depends on when and what scenario we are talking about. Some alt-history is required because of Vietnam but had LBJ's peace process not gotten torpedoed by the Nixon administration and the US still had the faith of the american people in conscription it certainly had the numbers available for the old college try.

In real terms obviously nothing major could be planned in the 80s after vietnam, and considering how poorly the soviets did in afghanistan their military was in about as large a funk as ours was.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I seem to recall an article from years back where NATO's position was ostensibly that they had to be just strong enough that any Soviet invasion would need to use tactical nukes or fail.

The thinking was that if the Soviets used tactical nukes, then the West could escalate to a large-scale exchange, culminating in full nuclear war.

And the Soviets had to know that this was the case. If they felt that NATO was weak enough to be brushed aside conventionally, then they'd invade anyway and NATO might have to use nukes themselves and...

So basically it was an extension of MAD.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

gradenko_2000 posted:

I seem to recall an article from years back where NATO's position was ostensibly that they had to be just strong enough that any Soviet invasion would need to use tactical nukes or fail.

The thinking was that if the Soviets used tactical nukes, then the West could escalate to a large-scale exchange, culminating in full nuclear war.

And the Soviets had to know that this was the case. If they felt that NATO was weak enough to be brushed aside conventionally, then they'd invade anyway and NATO might have to use nukes themselves and...

So basically it was an extension of MAD.

Right but it begs the question: If they (nato) just had to have enough to keep the status quo, why lie continuously about increasing USSR capabilities and continue to build up militarily? I realize the obvious answer is "because they love graft" but I don't think it is that ridiculous to presume some in the military/natsec fields had dreams of a first strike victory. Dick Cheney was so convinced of it he told bush to go to war over Georgia for example.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What exactly was lied about? The SS-19 and Tu22 ranges mentioned in the article aren't exactly indicative of the capabilities of the Soviet state as a whole.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Dandywalken posted:

What exactly was lied about? The SS-19 and Tu22 ranges mentioned in the article aren't exactly indicative of the capabilities of the Soviet state as a whole.

specifically they lied about soviet GNP and nuclear capability

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Better make sure the repair tech in your sub has a high enough skill or else the ice cream machine will break down and affect crew morale.

Also make sure no one steals any strawberries or the captain goes nuts

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Unimpressed posted:

So explain this poo poo to me. I read Iron Coffins, and the guy describes how they would sail for a few weeks at a time and the bread they took went mouldy after about a week so they were eating mouldy bread for weeks. Now the US had loving ICE CREAM MACHINES on their subs. How do you go to war against a country with loving ICE CREAM MACHINES on their subs when you're eating mouldy bread? I mean what the gently caress's wrong with you in the decision making part of your brain?

American sailors are so weak and soft they need ice cream and showers to even consider fighting! What will the American soldiers do when their precious donuts don't arrive on time on the front lines? What if the coffee isn't hot or has no sugar in it? Surrender, that's what! This will be a walk in the park!

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

dtkozl posted:

Right but it begs the question: If they (nato) just had to have enough to keep the status quo, why lie continuously about increasing USSR capabilities and continue to build up militarily? I realize the obvious answer is "because they love graft" but I don't think it is that ridiculous to presume some in the military/natsec fields had dreams of a first strike victory. Dick Cheney was so convinced of it he told bush to go to war over Georgia for example.
Wait what?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Speaking of leftism and wargaming, some kind of Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa game set in the Spanish Civil War would be fun. Play as the republicans and have to juggle the dozens of factions that fought for that side:

Republican Scenario posted:

While fighting outside of Zaragoza, representatives from the National Confederation of Labour and the Iberian Anarchist Federation approach you with plans to make the city an independent anarchistic experiment once captured. However representatives from Estat Català have been advocating for the city to be placed under their control. While the actual hand off of the city will likely come after the war, promises now have sway.

1. The syndicalists have been bearing the heaviest weight of fighting in this battle, it is only fair they receive the city for their control (+20 CNT/FAI relations, - 10 Estat Català relations, +5 Anarchist influence).

2. They city lies directly under the Catalonia sphere of influence, it should go to them. (+10 Estat Català, -20 CNT/FAI relations, +5 Autonomy influence.

3. Tell the representatives that the administration of the city will be under the purview of the restored republic upon the end of the war (-10 CNT/FAI relations, - 10 Estat Català relations, +10 Republican Power).

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

http://www.politico.com/story/2010/02/us-pondered-military-use-in-georgia-032487
http://blogs.ft.com/the-world/2010/02/did-dick-cheney-want-to-start-a-war-with-russia/

Dick Cheney wanted to bomb the Roki tunnel that the Russians had to use to counterattack the Georgian forces during the Ossetia war which would have started a war with Russia. I've read that this caused a rift with Bush and helped end Cheney's influence in the administration.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

dtkozl posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2010/02/us-pondered-military-use-in-georgia-032487
http://blogs.ft.com/the-world/2010/02/did-dick-cheney-want-to-start-a-war-with-russia/

Dick Cheney wanted to bomb the Roki tunnel that the Russians had to use to counterattack the Georgian forces during the Ossetia war which would have started a war with Russia. I've read that this caused a rift with Bush and helped end Cheney's influence in the administration.

This was late in 2008 though. Cheney's influence had declined considerably by the 2006 midterms, when the Iraq War had become a bleeding ulcer.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

where the gently caress is my YPG simulator 2017

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Xenolalia posted:

I want PissPigGranddad as a playable character.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xenolalia posted:

Insurgency: Sandstorm should be coming out semi-soon

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing a bit of Panzer Campaigns lately, and I'm wondering what is supposed to be represented by "direct fire" from one hex to another, from one battalion to another, at the scale of 1 km per hex?

I imagine that it's still rifle and machine gun fire for an infantry unit, but the distance seems a bit long if you're not assaulting.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've been playing a bit of Panzer Campaigns lately, and I'm wondering what is supposed to be represented by "direct fire" from one hex to another, from one battalion to another, at the scale of 1 km per hex?

I imagine that it's still rifle and machine gun fire for an infantry unit, but the distance seems a bit long if you're not assaulting.

Well, if the unit is in the center of a hex and it was attacking, would it still be in the center? :catdrugs:

I imagine that an infantry unit would also contain light artillery and/or infantry guns, not to mention mortars.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

https://twitter.com/microtrailers/status/893086308486316034

Anyone know if Matrix is doing the thing where they give previous owners Steam keys, like they did for WitE?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Drone posted:

https://twitter.com/microtrailers/status/893086308486316034

Anyone know if Matrix is doing the thing where they give previous owners Steam keys, like they did for WitE?

Yep, go to https://www.slitherine.com/members/ - you can already get your Steam key for WitW.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

COOL CORN posted:

Yep, go to https://www.slitherine.com/members/ - you can already get your Steam key for WitW.

Oh neato.

Now they just need to put WitP on Steam and I'll be happy.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Would any of yall be interested in a goon CM Italy mission perhaps?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Drone posted:

Oh neato.

At least then I could download WitP. It vanished from my Matrix account years ago and they couldn't get it back so they emailed me a link to download the press version instead.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Xenolalia posted:

As a let's play kinda thing? I'd be into that.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Oh neato.

im happy being ignorant of all the hours of my life wasted on witp pbem games

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Xenolalia posted:

Sure, I'd be down.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:yeah:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xenolalia posted:

Yeah! But you have to post a new spaghetti recipe for every update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
do italian formations have a higher need for water to cook their pasta in or did they cook their pasta in cans of tomatos
~just grog queries~