Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The last level might in fact be my favorite level of the whole contest so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Oh yes, since I'm not making any roundups for awhile, Dullahan has the Death at MP = 0 flag, so rasping him is a viable option.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I loathe OOPS!
It's an autoscroller, so you can't make it go faster, the rocks require you to know rhe future to avoid them, there are sections that look like safe spots but aren't, and the gameplay has no variety and is mostly waiting. It deserved the zero Nimono feared it would get.

Also, 1F0 is so popular SMBX has its own version of it now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZN9tB7H-Y
I'm reasonably certain that this is the version of Megalovania that the guy used in HOLDTHELINE, mainly because it uses a screenshot from the level as it's placeholder image :v:

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 18, 2017

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

i'm not sure if you can tell but about a quarter through our total time in oops i stopped paying much attention and didn't resume until the switch palace. I kinda looked up and we were at the PICK A PATH part.

I may also be wrong about diggin' chuck being randomly timed, it's him or puntin' and I didn't remember which :v:

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Back from overseas, I was out for like 2 weeks.

We've figured out how to just straight up shove wav's into FE8 now. Here's a short clip.

We can also have voice clips that play when you select a unit just like in the most recent Fire Emblem

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
PLEASE HOLD THE LINE looked pretty great. One of those levels that looks fun enough that it makes me want to give it a try myself.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That red switch palace puzzle was the only one I was able to actually solve.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Man, that Red Switch Palace was weird because it was an actually fair puzzle for once and not "use this exact one glitch or perish."

Please Hold The Line was just straight up fantastic. :allears:

e; Also, uh, between Nimono blatantly score tampering because "well it's getting penalised anyway" and then the level's score getting bumped higher later, it really makes you question why they have judges and scoring anyway. Outside of deciding 20 levels that stand out as being overall the best and the worst (which could easily be done any number of ways), it really doesn't seem to actually mean anything. Like, the judges don't even seem consistent with what they consider good and bad a lot of the time.

I get that it is a contest and all, but there's bound to be easier ways to determine who wins other than 4 people who seem to just pick numbers out of a hat half the time anyway.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 18, 2017

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
PLEASE HOLD THE LINE would have been the perfect place for Spider Dance instead of Megalovania.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

e; Also, uh, between Nimono blatantly score tampering because "well it's getting penalised anyway" and then the level's score getting bumped higher later, it really makes you question why they have judges and scoring anyway. Outside of deciding 20 levels that stand out as being overall the best and the worst (which could easily be done any number of ways), it really doesn't seem to actually mean anything. Like, the judges don't even seem consistent with what they consider good and bad a lot of the time.

I get that it is a contest and all, but there's bound to be easier ways to determine who wins other than 4 people who seem to just pick numbers out of a hat half the time anyway.
This was how vldc6 was done, kinda.

Instead of flat scores, the judges gave each level a letter score. Out of all the ones to score well (there was a handful of levels that had even A-B splits across the judges) they picked their top 6, and from that 6 they picked 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

The problem ended up being that although this ranking system was fine for feedback (you had to read the judges comment instead of just looking at numbers) there was a lot of issues with people outside the top 6 wanting to know how they wanted relative to other people. They didn't have a solid ranking to look at and were frustrated that they did "somewhat okay" compared to bring in the top or bottom whatever.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It occurs to me to wonder how many level vs. level comparisons (e.g. people answering "is Oh No! better or worse than PleaseHold The Line") would be required before you had a fairly decent ranking of the levels. You could farm out these questions to the broader community. You'd still need moderation to assign penalties, but moderators could be notified by the community instead of having to discover issues by playing the levels themselves.

An approach like that ought to let you crowdsource the judging process and allow individuals to not have to play every level to participate in scoring, without then ending up with wildly inconsistent scoring metrics (e.g. one player that only ever uses the top 25% of the scoring range).

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Then you run the risk of it becoming less a contest about level design and more about simply making an impressive or good looking level. While I don't agree with a lot of the recent trends in what's considered good level design at smwc, I'd prefer the level design contests stay about that.

Otherwise you get levels like This

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I mean, that seems to be a problem anyway, with highly-scored levels in this compilation that aren't very interesting when grayboxed.

But yeah, that is the problem with the wisdom of crowds -- crowds tend to be dumbasses. :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tyty posted:

I was watching this thinking "..wait what's so bad about this" and then it just got to the weird "fighting" and dialog scene. It reminded me of that stupid Mario x DBZ mashup flash series that went on for years (and might actually still be going)

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Make me a judge. My qualifications:

1. I have read this thread.
2. I got all 96 exits in SMW :smug:
3. My time is worthless.
4. I give no fucks and will just score things based on actual scoring instead of trying to metagame the system.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Tyty posted:

Then you run the risk of it becoming less a contest about level design and more about simply making an impressive or good looking level. While I don't agree with a lot of the recent trends in what's considered good level design at smwc, I'd prefer the level design contests stay about that.

I cringed hard at that final scene.

Seriously, why bother making a Mario level if it's just going to be a lovely Machinima anyway

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That was a real "alpha and omega" video. A better name for "Oops!" would have been "gently caress You!" because that's what that level says to the player from beginning to end. It would be better if the level creator used coins as markers indicating where the off-screen boulders would fall, so that you can avoid standing there. There are no redeeming features and Ninomo was an idiot for giving it a perfect 60 to balance out the terrible score it deserved. Even if it wasn't late, it was bottom-10 level material.

"Please Hold the Line," though, was excellent in every way.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If that was 15th, I'm really excited to see the top 10

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Please Hold the Line was a fantastic level, and I was actually sad to see the goal tape show up as soon as it did. I wanted to see what other tricks the level creator could have thrown at you.

OOPS! was terribly designed and the score fixing was just scummy. It's one thing to like the level, but it's another thing to try to deliberately elevate it to game the system.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

get that OUT of my face posted:

That was a real "alpha and omega" video. A better name for "Oops!" would have been "gently caress You!" because that's what that level says to the player from beginning to end.

Emphasis on end. That's one of the biggest dick moves in the entire hack :allears:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The nice thing about Please Hold the Line being short is that they could totally make a whole other level in that same style and it would still be exciting.

Chop chop, get on it

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Part 7: One Small Problem

Draygon is kind of tricky to work with in romhacks. People who have mostly only played vanilla Super Metroid are often used to just killing Draygon with the Grapple Beam, and consequently never really learn how to fight her (him? her? I'm gonna go with her) properly. Meanwhile, experienced players that do know how to cope with Draygon tend to find her to be pretty easy to kill, because she's very pattern-based. Wait for her to start spewing gunk, lay a powerbomb, then run underneath her while firing.

However, it's also really difficult to make her fight harder without making it frustrating at the same time. I've seen all kinds of poo poo pulled in the Draygon arena, most of it awful. Walling off the turrets (so they can still shoot you but you can't destroy them, let alone grapple them), cycling the water on and off so you're constantly alternating between water physics and air physics, scattering spikes everywhere, you name it. Eris goes for relatively tame modifications by just leaving you underwater and varying the terrain enough that you have to jump instead of running. Draygon's still reasonably straightforward under those constraints, especially if you've been at all thorough in getting powerups; note how much damage her tail does if she grabs you though.

This fight is optional, by the way, but if you don't do it, you get to do some heat runs later. I'd much rather do the fight, thanks. Plus, the Chozen Armor is one of those rare armor palette swaps that doesn't look absolutely awful. It's kind of weird; Samus looks like she's encased in clay. But "weird" fits well with the hack's overall aesthetic.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 20, 2017

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 24 - Just Drink It In :siren:

This video has a lot of flashing lights, thanks entirely to Bum Rush and my insane desire to have 60fps SNES videos. You've been warned.

I was actually really close to bailing on Legato and moving onto other things, but I decided to give Seņor Behemoth one more shot and boy did that pan out well. We see some interesting enemy configurations, encounter Doomgaze, enter the fourth dimension, and manage to make some decent progress in general. This might be one of my favorite recording sessions.

As far as the rapid flashing lights during Bum Rush are concerned, I have a tentative solution for future videos if I can pull it off. If not, uh, probably best to assume all videos from here on out are photosensitivity unfriendly.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Also, for reference to those who don't know about Devour:

My one regret is that we stopped recording when the video ended. The *REDACTED* jokes kept coming.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Plus, the Chozen Armor is one of those rare armor palette swaps that doesn't look absolutely awful. It's kind of weird; Samus looks like she's encased in clay. But "weird" fits well with the hack's overall aesthetic.
It's very "DeviantArt OC DO NOT STEAL", with the glowing red visor and otherwise monochrome palette.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

AmiYumi posted:

It's very "DeviantArt OC DO NOT STEAL", with the glowing red visor and otherwise monochrome palette.

But at least the colors aren't horribly garish. I wasn't kidding when I said I've seen some awful color palettes.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Eris is gorgeous and looks fun, but wow am I glad I'm experiencing it in LP form instead of trying to play it myself. There were so many rooms in that last video where I could have sworn the background walls were on Samus' plane, and vice versa. I'd get a little ways into the hack and then be hopelessly stuck, no doubts about it.

The Chozen palette isn't bad but the morph ball looks....off.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

But at least the colors aren't horribly garish. I wasn't kidding when I said I've seen some awful color palettes.

Varia suit in Fusion

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I've had a couple interesting enemy names in FF6 rando as well (Nazi and Sanic), but nothing on the level of THAT. :allears:

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 07

Today we take on the second processor and fight the power of friendship.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 25 - My Brain Won't Melt :siren:

No flashing lights warning this time! I explain it in the video, but it couldn't hurt to put it in this post, too: with some help, I've managed to convert every single bum rush into a 30 fps video clip, which will prevent any flashing at all, at best. At worst, I've seen 3 flashes happen. However, the rest of the video is still in gloriously unnecessary 60 fps! Hooray for a mostly functional fix!

As for the video blurb itself: today we learn that trying to corral a dragon is like corralling a cat, I conduct a pointless experiment, and we find a book of secrets.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rando Roundup #? Wherein Bum Rush becomes even more :black101:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
As a kid, I always gave the Offering to Sabin, because he was in my party non-stop and had by far the highest Fight damage. I seem to recall him hitting for upwards of 30k damage with Genji Glove + Offering.

Optimal? Not remotely. But as a dumb kid I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
This convinced me to start up my own FF6 randomizer game.

Setzer's jacket is so bright it should count as a weapon.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I really wish the palette stuff was more interesting. It seems like it just slaps everyone with some random green and purple mess every time I do it. I want poo poo like palettes that actually look like they're viable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kurui Reiten posted:

I really wish the palette stuff was more interesting. It seems like it just slaps everyone with some random green and purple mess every time I do it. I want poo poo like palettes that actually look like they're viable.

Good palettes are really hard to do well, so it's no surprise that a randomizer would turn out lovely palettes. It'd probably have better luck if it just shuffled the existing palette assignments rather than come up with wholly new ones.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I actually got some perfectly good ones. Even just Terra, here:

Setzer just wasn't it.

I actually have played another randomizer in the past that didn't make new palettes, only shuffled the other ones around. I assure you it didn't look any better. Let me see if I kept any screenshots from it...

Edit: I did. Once again, Terra is good, but LOL at Sabin, and Cyan and Edgar just look like messes. Setzer and Locke aren't that much better.

Prism fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 29, 2017

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Prism posted:

Edit: I did. Once again, Terra is good, but LOL at Sabin, and Cyan and Edgar just look like messes. Setzer and Locke aren't that much better.

I dunno, I kinda like goth Edgar :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

liquidypoo posted:

I dunno, I kinda like goth Edgar :v:

His cloak doesn't deal with having two distinct colours well at all. It looks real bizarre from the back. It has the same problem in the current randomizer game.

The one you're using (and I am now, too) is a lot more randomized. I like it better, I think.

• Locked thread