Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

liquidypoo posted:

I dunno, I kinda like Gerad

ftfy

Also, concerned about Kefka not only putting Terra in a slavecrown, but in matching clothes.

Also I appreciate Solomon Grundy and his inevitable suplexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 08

In today's episode we continue our journey past the second processor.

However there is a major problem with the space level that comes after the processor. Namely it's primary gimmick, it's use of the p-balloon.
To start things off they kind of control horribly in this game. upon touching a balloon Mario will start to rise automatically.
Now this isn't a problem in the first instance. Oh no, the problem comes up in subsequent instances where rising is not what you want.
To go down you have to mash down on the d-pad until Mario starts descending but even then that doesn't always work as he'll sometimes start to float back up when you don't want him to.
Bear in mind that the balloon power is on a timer and when you are fighting to get Mario to sink so you can go below another block and hopefully hit it in the just the right spot before the timer runs out, you start to see the problems with the gimmick

I best not forget the level is laced with Baseball Chucks who are near unavoidable in a lot of spots. The worst one however is situated just past and above a p-balloon block in such a way that if you don't have Mario going down as soon as you touch the power up
then you are as good as dead. This in itself is very difficult to do since Mario will rise from the moment you touch the power and that's usually what gets you killed by the baseball chuck.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 29, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I kept putting this one's edit off because of how long it was. It was chopped down from somewhere around 50 minutes of recording time. I still maintain the level is good, though I'm probably in the minority. There's a lot of trial and error but the objective is almost always clear--if you're willing to spend the time learning both timings and some of the intricacies of the SMW engine. And thank god for the Switch Palaces.

The second level is gonna get overshadowed by the first one since it's only two minutes long but it's a solid entry with a fun theme that's well developed. It deserves some good credit too.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

As far as I'm concerned, the penalty for a level where you have so many opportunities to screw up shouldn't be death almost every time. That hotel elevator level was better in that regard.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Come on dude how could you have forgotten what the hint box tells you so quickly? :argh:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Look if I hadn't brainfarted then we wouldn't have had that sweet double bank shot on the flying ? blocks! Double bank shot!

:negative:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Huh, that mole level really showered you with capes, didn't it? I think that was the only kind of powerup that turned up. You didn't even need it for anything. Just an easy level I guess.
I wonder if it was deliberately put right after the hard one, as a palate cleanser sort of thing.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Mole level was short, cute and good.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Megamole's music was from the first Crash Bandicoot (Temple Ruins). Third Crash is best Crash though.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Kurieg posted:

What commercial is your avatar from because it looks amazing.

How Rude posted:

I have no clue where it's from but the GIF was made by a goon and posted in the PYF GIF thread, and I made the av from it because it was too good

Hey, real old posts now but that was me, I didn't make the gif but I found and posted it. It's from this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-febLBtj3Y

More on-topic, I recently caught up on these VLDC videos and they're very good. I like hearing a perspective from people who know a lot about how the actual modding works. I screwed around with Lunar Magic some 10 years ago but never made anything worthwhile.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Part 8: Ol' Face Ship

I don't want to spoil this episode, but it has some pretty crazy stuff in it. The one thing I will note is that where we got an E-tank in this episode is where the Plasma Beam was in the original version of the hack. If I recall correctly, there's a one-way shortcut from it to Samus' ship (that little nook on the left side of the room).

Cobalt Zeroni
Feb 15, 2015

Doseku posted:

However there is a major problem with the space level that comes after the processor. Namely it's primary gimmick, it's use of the p-balloon.
To start things off they kind of control horribly in this game. upon touching a balloon Mario will start to rise automatically.
Now this isn't a problem in the first instance. Oh no, the problem comes up in subsequent instances where rising is not what you want.
To go down you have to mash down on the d-pad until Mario starts descending but even then that doesn't always work as he'll sometimes start to float back up when you don't want him to.
You don't need to mash Down to descend, you just hold it down.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

liquidypoo posted:

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 25 - My Brain Won't Melt :siren:

No flashing lights warning this time! I explain it in the video, but it couldn't hurt to put it in this post, too: with some help, I've managed to convert every single bum rush into a 30 fps video clip, which will prevent any flashing at all, at best. At worst, I've seen 3 flashes happen. However, the rest of the video is still in gloriously unnecessary 60 fps! Hooray for a mostly functional fix!

As for the video blurb itself: today we learn that trying to corral a dragon is like corralling a cat, I conduct a pointless experiment, and we find a book of secrets.

Thanks for going through the effort of keeping the video 60 fps while rushing bums at only 30. I'm not photosensitive but it's a lot more pleasant to look at this way.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Part 8: Ol' Face Ship

I don't want to spoil this episode, but it has some pretty crazy stuff in it. The one thing I will note is that where we got an E-tank in this episode is where the Plasma Beam was in the original version of the hack. If I recall correctly, there's a one-way shortcut from it to Samus' ship (that little nook on the left side of the room).

I knew this area got alien, but I forgot just HOW alien it got in places. And that room with after the little storage robots on the way to Plasma Beam feels creepier than I remembered. The sound effects and incomprehensibility of whatever is in the background adds to that in my opinion.

You didn't forget to get the map and story data through the gray door in the room preceding Crocomire's fight did you?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

You didn't forget to get the map and story data through the gray door in the room preceding Crocomire's fight did you?

I did not. I'm pretty sure you are required to go there to progress.

(edit: to clarify, the door's locked right now; it will unlock later)

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 30, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I did not. I'm pretty sure you are required to go there to progress.

(edit: to clarify, the door's locked right now; it will unlock later)

I thought that it unlocked by defeating the enemies in the room but I could be wrong. Sounds like you haven't beaten the game yet though, so you should definitely try and make your way into there somehow before it's all over.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I believe that's necessary to open up that door and progress to the next plot trigger.

I have to say, I like the neat reflection effect they had going, but I hate when the ground breaks and you go through it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I recorded the entire playthrough before I published episode 1. Don't worry, we're going in there. :)

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

I don't know if I already said it, but I love the narration and the attitude you give Samus. The hack alone is interesting, but it's also a really good LP!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Aithon posted:

I don't know if I already said it, but I love the narration and the attitude you give Samus. The hack alone is interesting, but it's also a really good LP!

Aw, thanks! :3:

My goal was to make the antithesis of what we got in Other M. :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Aw, thanks! :3:

My goal was to make the antithesis of what we got in Other M. :v:

Hence the entirety of the Ridley fight dialog?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Let's go ahead and wrap this thing up before I go on vacation.

Part 9: Get Paid First

I'm not sure I entirely agree with all of the references DMantra added to this hack, but I have to admit they do make the ending sequence quite unique.

I'd like to give a special shout-out to this comment:

FPzero posted:

I knew this area got alien, but I forgot just HOW alien it got in places.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Let's go ahead and wrap this thing up before I go on vacation.

Part 9: Get Paid First

I'm not sure I entirely agree with all of the references DMantra added to this hack, but I have to admit they do make the ending sequence quite unique.

I'd like to give a special shout-out to this comment:

Does that thing you did count towards completion percentage or effect the ending in any way?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

hanales posted:

Does that thing you did count towards completion percentage or effect the ending in any way?

Uh...I don't actually know! If I had to guess, I'd say the door out of that room is locked otherwise, but I admit I've never checked. And unfortunately it's rather difficult for me to go and check now.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Uh...I don't actually know! If I had to guess, I'd say the door out of that room is locked otherwise, but I admit I've never checked. And unfortunately it's rather difficult for me to go and check now.

Do you actually have to turn off plasma and wave or was that just for emotional impact?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

hanales posted:

Do you actually have to turn off plasma and wave or was that just for emotional impact?

You do not. My working theory for how this was implemented is that it replaces the Varia suit (just like the artifacts replaced the Reserve Tanks), hence the change in graphics. It's just an item.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thanks so much for LPing Eris. It's one of the most unique Super Metroid hacks I've ever played, and to think it originally came out in 2009 at a time where we just weren't seeing weird graphical stuff yet. It really had a huge impression on lots of the people in the hacking scene. I think you could definitely attribute a lot of the weirder concepts and tile layouts seen in more recent hacks to DMantra's style, especially in terms of fake depth created through careful layering of tiles on Layers 1 and 2.

At first I wasn't sure how your Samus narration was going to pan out but I have to say it really grew on me. Metroid isn't a series where you absolutely need to have someone talking over it all the time, and in a case like Eris, there's probably only so many times an LPer can say "well this room looks cool" before the viewer gets tired of it. The hack speaks for itself pretty well. Anyway, I really enjoyed the style you put forth in the videos.

A few more final things I want to leave my thoughts on. First off, I wanted to link this back at the start of the LP, but I also didn't want to spoil the map so I held off until now:

http://www.nordub.ca/Maps/Eris-Areas.png

This is a map of Eris with every single room given a room name like you'd see in the Prime series. I'm pretty sure these names all come from DMantra himself. I once played the hack with this map open on the side and it really helps give context to some of the weirder rooms you might encounter. Plus, it's interesting to see how his room designs match up to their names. In a lot of cases, they do it pretty well.

Second, somewhere out there is a soundtrack for Eris that DMantra composed himself and released alongside the game. He also remastered it when he remastered the hack in 2012. From what I remember it's almost all ambient, alien music to fit the game's atmosphere. No notes on where any of it would play, but it was a really neat extra that he made. The soundtracks were available on his website for a while, but he took them both down years ago for some reason. I think it's because a couple years back he worked with someone to create a pretty drat cool Limited Edition reproduction cartridge of Eris that came with all sorts of extras, including the soundtrack. Maybe it was to make the limited edition more special to those owners; I'm not sure though. Regardless, there's no link that I can find online and I'm not going to upload it against his wishes.

Lastly, after taking a long hiatus from hacking, DMantra seems to be working on a new project. He showed me this image a couple months ago:

http://digital-mantra.com/SMV-Mimisbrunnr.png - Very large image warning

Looks like he's up to his old tricks again. I can't wait to see where it goes. One of these days I should really ask him how he visualizes things the way he does because he demonstrates such a mastery of tiles in my opinion.

hanales posted:

If I catch DMantra online in Metroid Construction's discord, I'll try and ask him. I'm 99% certain the room doesn't open until you do that thing though.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 1, 2017

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
A couple of those kill doors in the previous update actually made sense, since the meatballs/metroids could be considered to be "powering" the door lock in their enclosed spaces.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

At first I wasn't sure how your Samus narration was going to pan out but I have to say it really grew on me. Metroid isn't a series where you absolutely need to have someone talking over it all the time, and in a case like Eris, there's probably only so many times an LPer can say "well this room looks cool" before the viewer gets tired of it. The hack speaks for itself pretty well. Anyway, I really enjoyed the style you put forth in the videos.

Thank you! I've honestly been wanting to do a Super Metroid LP for a long time, but the game is really oversaturated with LPs. Hopefully this is a unique take on the concept.

quote:

Second, somewhere out there is a soundtrack for Eris that DMantra composed himself and released alongside the game. He also remastered it when he remastered the hack in 2012. From what I remember it's almost all ambient, alien music to fit the game's atmosphere. No notes on where any of it would play, but it was a really neat extra that he made. The soundtracks were available on his website for a while, but he took them both down years ago for some reason. I think it's because a couple years back he worked with someone to create a pretty drat cool Limited Edition reproduction cartridge of Eris that came with all sorts of extras, including the soundtrack. Maybe it was to make the limited edition more special to those owners; I'm not sure though. Regardless, there's no link that I can find online and I'm not going to upload it against his wishes.

The soundtrack's really pretty cool. Like, I could see it working as a soundtrack for a Metroid Prime game that used DMantra's worldbuilding style. It's a shame it's not accessible any more.

quote:

http://digital-mantra.com/SMV-Mimisbrunnr.png - Very large image warning

Oh man, I love these maps. That looks pretty great; exploring the interior of a huge tree is a good concept for a Metroidvania IMO.

There's a similar map that was done for Eris's 2009 version, but fair disclaimer, it is gigantic (9998x7693 pixels!). Here's the thumbnail; click on it to grab the full image.

I keep meaning to ask DMantra if I can turn it into a poster to put on my wall.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 1, 2017

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I can't say I particularly grew to like Eris, but that was a fun LP. Good stuff.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks for playing Eris for us. I would've hated playing it myself, but it was pretty enjoyable in this format.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Thanks for the LP. I loved Samus' thoughts and Eris was fun to see explored, but I absolutely never would have gotten through it myself. Good stuff.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Thanks for playing through it, please consider fixing your playlist on youtube, since it has video 3 twice and the first three in the wrong order.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

SystemLogoff posted:

Thanks for playing through it, please consider fixing your playlist on youtube, since it has video 3 twice and the first three in the wrong order.

Should be fixed now, thanks!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Did... did Samus explode the kid? :ohdear:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Shei-kun posted:

No, she was just stunned by those cool moves. The kid is most definitely not dead and the two of them are going to have tons of power armor space adventures.

:ohdear:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Shei-kun posted:

We saw her turn off everything except the grapple beam specifically. The kid is fine and wants to do that again.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Shei-kun posted:

The ice beam was on. It's nothing a warm blanket and a cup of hot chocolate won't fix.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Shei-kun posted:

Don't be silly.

The kid would vaporize, not explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Loxbourne posted:

We saw her turn off everything except the grapple beam specifically. The kid is fine and wants to do that again.

I like this take. :kimchi:

• Locked thread